Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Around the early 2000s I saw a cartoon and ever since, its name has completely and infuriatingly eluded me.

It was set underwater and the main characters were fish-people, not the mermaid kind but the kind with fish patterned skin and webbed feet and fins on their ankles and all that poo poo. The two main leads I think were a pair of fish-children and they had a sidekick that was a little manta-ray fairy girl. There was also a black man who turned into a red and black fish man whenever he went underwater, and I remember this used to confuse me. What if he needed a bath? Did he ever go to the swimming pool?

Anyway help me goons, I'm fairly sure I didn't just dream about this and it was actually on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rahonavis posted:

The manta-fairy kind of throws me off there, but with the man transforming into a fish, could it have been "Tiger Sharks"?

No, that definitely wasn't it. I'd honestly just write it off as something I'd made up when I was a kid, but a couple of my friends remembered it too. Thanks for trying though

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Do you mean the thing with this guy?

I think it was called Prince on Atlantis but there seems to be almost nothing about it on the internet.

Thank you so much, this is the exact cartoon. One season of 25 episodes, made in france in 1997, and there is nothing but a couple of very brief mentions on the internet of it. I guess it must have never had a DVD release or something, there's no footage anywhere and barely any screencaps. At least now I know I wasn't dreaming it up out of nowhere!

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Korra was weird because after a nice cartoon with good lessons you basically get story about a rich person trying to maintain liberal status quo.

Henry Rollins was right, and his punishment was getting his girlfriend's head blown off, and being locked in a cave, twice.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Both AtLA and Korra had the runtime and the tone to make the serious points, like climactic fights and big dramatic moments feel really enjoyable to watch and have a lot of weight to them, but in my opinion they were both kinda weak when they weren't doing those things, especially in a post-Adventure Time space where there's kids shows handling character and humour better than either Avatar series ever did. The format let it have some really strong moments, like how Zuko has several seasons worth of buildup before he finally gets to his big dramatic character scenes of cutting loose and getting over his abusive family, and none of the current animated shows really do a continuous storyline that will let them do quite the same thing. Even Steven Universe I'm not sure if they'd be able to do that with quite the same impact, since there's a much heavier focus on standalone episodes and the episodes themselves are shorter.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Nothing can compare to the horror that is 06 when you play it. Watch the difference between pokecaptin or Slowbeef's current battle with something that is more malignant force than even just a perfect shitstorm of bad programming that will wear you down as you play it. Compared to that, Boom is a lazy, yet serviceable dumb game that them Coffee Men can easily laugh when they do the infinite Knuckles jump trick to the end. Plus it was only the Wii U game that was buggy for Boom, the 3DS game was alright and that's mostly why the new Fire and Ice game is handheld only. Boom is a rush job, but it isn't completely shameful like 06.

What I really like about Sonic 06 is that it's so broken that it becomes one of those games that make for speedruns that break the game wide open.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Are there any good shows that are new or upcoming that are replacing Wander and Gravity Falls in the "lots of good cartoons airing" zeitgeist?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never really sure what the business model of the Disney Channel was supposed to be. It didn't generate any ad revenue, I only ever understood it as providing some kind of advertisement for Disney as a brand.

And now, Disney's a bit too much of an umbrella corporation to really be a brand in itself, and I guess they've already vertically integrated in other ways, so why not be proprietary about it.

I'm not entirely familiar with how cable packages work but wouldn't they also have received a share of the profits from the monthly/annual fees customers pay to use the cable service?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I've been watching Kipo and it's very good! I have no idea how this show looks so much better than She-Ra when they seem to have come out of the same dreamworks/Netflix partnership. Did they manage to get a higher animation budget for Kipo or something? Or is it all in the storyboarding and directing?

I do wish it had less episodes where the entire conflict/challenge comes from one of the heroes doing something stupid though. Not my favourite kind of storytelling.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I want to see the avatar TV show with a sixties budget. No more than five actors on screen at once, film the entire thing in quarries. What do you need cgi for? Fire, water, earth and air are all real anyway. Just do a shot of katara doing karate moves and cut to a shot of someone throwing a bucket full of water on an extra. One matte painting per episode. It worked for star trek.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

My favourite shipping ending to a series is Digimon. It jumps ahead ten years and most of the main characters have gotten together with people that never appeared in the show, instead of marrying whoever they knew when they were all twelve years old.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Theory about the Emperor in the Owl House: is he maybe another human who has been stranded on the island? If he has to take magic power from outside sources it would explain why he's drinking something magic-looking out of that small animal in one scene, and his magic staff looks very technological compared to the other magic staves in the show. He's always wearing a mask, and he's interested in the human world. And he showed up out of nowhere fifty years ago with very outsider views on how society should work.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

So when do you think we'll get our first gay(m/m) kids show main protagonist? I think the closest we have so far is Benson in Kipo.

Is there anything in the pipeline that could concievably have a gay/bi/pan male lead? I have no idea what is even in development at the moment that fits that bill apart from He-Man, and studios are definitely too cowardly to pull that particular trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Especially since Kipo can turn into a jaguar the size of an office building as of the end of season 2. Hard to keep writing a story around that particular trump card.