Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Legend of Korra just kept consistently seeming like it could be good, and falling short, over and over again.

I don't really know if there was any one reason. Some people blame it on the series getting yanked around by the network (although that seems like a weak excuse after a point), maybe it was the way that they kept trying to make it more "mature" than the previous series, focusing too much on romance and totally neglecting comedy while they kept trying to tackle more adult issues that they ultimately didn't have what it took to seriously consider them. Maybe it was just some plain bad writing where they kept getting caught up in long drawn out sequences that ultimately wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the plot, like all that pro-bending. At the end of the day, the series just wasn't that good, and I hope the makers go on to do something better.

And I guess the Wan two-parter was okay on its own, but it kind of demystified the spirit world and bending in general, which was kind of bad.

Korra was weird because after a nice cartoon with good lessons you basically get story about a rich person trying to maintain liberal status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

Not really.
Steven Universe does the slow worldbuilding with one off jokes and incidents actually mattering later that atla did (also a pacifist protagonist who'd get along with aang well) but does not have the strong mythology aspect or amazing action scenes.

The humour in SU is so much better that it's not even funny (ironically enough).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 21, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was also a paean to the liberal-capitalist establishment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cartoon animals drawn as animes = totally adorbs

But how is tumblr fanart relevant at all?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny how the original designs were much more distinctive and characterful despite being practically identical cartoon animals.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stop gushing about anime like a freak.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well it is true.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
At an average of 10 minutes an episode, cartoons are clearly the most efficient form of entertainment, and thus superior to all others.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, too. I saw a clip of the first Scooby Doo live action movie, and Velma is HOT. She seems to be very popular in nerd culture, but I never saw the appeal. That short hair plus her chubbiness made her inferior to Daphne in my eyes. But now we have one instance at least where Velma is in fact, way hotter than Daphne:

:yikes:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"the short hair plus chubbiness made her inferior to Daphne in my eyes"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

There's people in this thread arguing that superhero cartoons aren't grimdark enough anymore after we went through a good 20-25 years of nothing but that poo poo, so... yeah.

What, like the supremely grimdark Batman: the Animated Series?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

loving millennial SJW Tumblr GBS hipster TVtropes weeaboos...

A fair assessment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Samurai Jack training gorillas to beat up other gorillas was good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you feel the need for another SU thread, just go Tumblr and you've basically got the thread back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just ban fanart and theories, that will keep the thread manageable.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think adult men and women can live without fan art.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

You are just the biggest killjoy

Nobody actually enjoys fan art since, like IanJ said, it adds nothing to discussion. It actually inhibits it by turning it into an art tumblr, which is a terrible medium for conversation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good children's cartoon

drrockso20 posted:

That is an objectively false statement, and trying to claim otherwise would make you out as a lier, so knock it off

Who the hell has fun passing around fan art like a pedophile ring?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry, BOTL tries his hardest to bring down the Undertale thread too. But it's too... determined :smug:

It is indeed like pissing in the ocean.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Double posting because the last post was more than a day old at this point:

Just finished the series now that I've seen Last day of Summer. Overall notes (encasing in spoilers as this series has more continuity than I knew): I quite liked the implications that the movie and the episode where Baljeet breaks up with Buford made, that Phineas is just as obsessive and shortsighted as Doofenshmirtz but doesn't have the baggage of a bad childhood: In Paris he didn't notice how frustrated Isabella was because he was too busy thinking of ways to use the attractions to hand to repair the plane, on the Desert Island with nothing to work with he completely falls apart, and (even though it's not as severe because he has his tools Baljeet is just forbidding him to use them) he has troubles on the mountain as well.

I enjoyed that Lawrence knew the scale of what the boys were doing in some episodes and found his relationship with them and his father pretty great. Also that by the end of the series, Linda had (unknowingly, she thought they would arrange the contractors, not build it themselves) made a request at her block party as well.

I liked the escalations of scale, by the end of the series the boys had been actively commissioned to work their miracles (The Extreme Waterpark, Vanessa's Halloween party). I love how the 10 years later (Act your Age) and 25 years later (Candace Time Travelling) play out for the boys, they'll excel when school restarts and keep doing so for the rest of their lives (because they'd have no excuse not to), get into so many great colleges they could literally decide their future's with a dart board, and then eventually be winning awards in Sweden and just generally keep Dieming every Carpe that comes along. I partially appreciate this because it's more satisfying than things like Dexter's Lab, where in his down time he would break the time space continuum easily but struggled with a basic maths test and result in a pathetic office job.

With Doofenshmirtz and Perry I love their relationship and how the plotline resolves with the conflict between LOVEMUFFIN and OWCA. I enjoyed the special where Rodney takes over the organization and escalates Doof's plans beyond their original scope (and Doof's line about "There is a fine distinction between Evil Scientist and Mad Scientist and we've just crossed that line. I don't want to rule over an endless winter, who in the world would find that desirable?") and Doof turning good so his daughter could work at OWCA was the only in character way to resolve that because she is the only person he would have given his entire lifestyle up for. (Also her calling him out on being not Evil but "A good person overcompensating for childhood trauma" was a pretty great way to give him the kick in the rear end he needed. I also liked how the future episodes showed how things would go - he'll be given a choice on how to atone, jail time or teaching, and he'll take teaching, then 10 years later be a happily retired man bowling with his old nemesis on tuesdays. I loved his last Inator as well for the "Oh did I set off the old inator-alert system? Oh how funny is that? Commander Carl must have been so spooked!" I also like that he was so content he had to Inator his way to a midlife crisis to fit in with his friends.

I enjoyed the episodes with Doof and Perry just hanging out, especially the one where they get stuck in the desert together. ("Oh, very clever Perry the Platypus, point my finger back at myself. So your saying that I'm the one holding me back? Fine! Let me do this my way with no interference from you and we'll see if I still fail." *Perry just stands back and gestures to the gate*)
I also loved when Doof got kidnapped Master Mystery (or whatever his name was) upset that Peter the Panda was thwarting Heinz on the side. Just for OWCA noticing their may have been foul play levied against Doof being the thing that got Perry to cut the briefing short and run right over. I really got the feeling that Perry just likes Heinz more than Francis despite working for Francis, probably because he has more rapport with Heinz. Also Heinz adivsing Mystery on how to repair his relationship with his nemesis was so :kimchi:

Night of the Living Pharmacists was pretty funny. *After Heinz's repulsinator, designed to make things hideous, turns his brother into him* "Oh, of course, that's the Universe's little joke on me. Very funny universe!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnY1oJuQzic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mojo Jojo no longer talks fast and repeats himself