Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

what happened with regular show where the final episode ended up being some kinda dramatic battle? i only watched a bit of season 1 and it just kinda seemed like lowkey whimsical comedy at that point

In true "we're a genre savvy show that's on our last season fashion," they go to space because major setting changes to try and revitalize a show is what always happens in an inevitable last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I very much wager that they'll keep Aku on the DL just because Mako is dead and anyone trying to emulate Aku might be less than well received to the fans without due preparation or adjustment.

There's blood! Surprising since they did all they could to show it without ever showing it before. It'll definitely be interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

With everyone going crazy over the ending of "Just Friends," I haven't heard anyone comment on Jackie's passing comment that she used to live down by the river and yet didn't know about the crazy hair lady. I've heard theories that her aquatic theme is more than just a fashion statement, so that could be foreshadowing to her finally getting more character development than "chill skater chick." After all, it's pretty clear at this point that Earth's reputation as "the safe dimension" is well known throughout the multiverse. It'd explain Oskar's fangs, too.

I just assumed Jackie was joking.

That ending went in a direction I didn't expect and probably will have actual ramifications as opposed to the 16 years in another dimension taht MArco spent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I suppose "Stakes" and "Islands" from Adventure Time would count.

I don't think green energy is going to turn out to be inherently evil, though, especially since it looks like Star unlocked a whole spectrum after "Baby." The wand was glowing orange when she hit the bunny pirate in "The Bounce Lounge," it was yellow when she blasted Gemini in "Heinous," and it was a light blue when she was feeling down at the start of "Collateral Damage." It even sounded different in that one.

I imagine that green, at the very least, is tied to an emotion. Probably anger or some sort of state of madness. As for Collateral Damage, it looked like she was using Levitato which she wasn't able to quite do when she was examined.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think the character most hurt by the nephew's new voices is Donald, he seems really out of place now.

Donald's voice is super odd now that every other character basically sounds normal while he's the odd duck in his classic voice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They have pretty much sounded the same for everything they have ever appeared in. Have you never seen a Disney cartoon featuring them.

But yeah it's not bad just odd.

Quack Pack doesn't count then, I guess. I had forgotten it existed until I tried to remember all of the media they were in. It ran for 1 season or 39 episodes.

Edit: Rewatching the intro, I definitely watched it when I was a kid when it was on reruns.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dude is way into the whole thing and always has been. Nothing wrong with that. :unsmith:

He threw a bunch of shade at the Disney seasons though which is disappointing.

Also that new ReBoot reminds me of Code Lyoko

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope there's a way to relive this level of goofiness outside of April fool's

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They should've at least done the prank with the premier.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

My point is, besides of how annoying it is, that [AS] is capable of better in the realm of pranks.

This is no "toilet sounds in FMA/GiTS" is what I'm saying.
Not having something premier on 4/1 unless it's the only option you got is probably one of those unwritten rules of television.

It's not really a premier if it's altered enough. Play the audio of a different episode or series or continue the googly eye thing or adulterate it such that it's not watchable as a proper episode

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Someone on /co/ pointed out that the guy in charge of CN USA's scheduling used to be in charge of scheduling for CN India and CN Asia, and he was just as terrible about scheduling back then(apparently his show of choice in those days was Oggie and The Cockroaches of all things)

Is there a way to bring it to CN's attention that the guy running scheduling is a total fuckwit or something/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

We Bare Bears is cute but it's the kind of show where after about 20 episodes I just fell off of watching it because I felt like I had already seen everything it had to offer. Not every show has to have serialized plots and world-ending stakes but at that point the show just started to slide from my mind like teflon whenever I saw it was yet another episode about Panda being an awkward loveshy weeaboo or Grizz failing to understand basic human things like a fuzzy Amelia Bedelia.

They started doing more of the young Bears plots and they seem a lot more interesting or at least more tolerable

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember that they were completely ready to run an entire day of Ben 10 when they only had 5 episodes in the can. CN is desperate for another Teen Titans Go, especially right now when they seem to be bleeding their shows dry between Regular Show, Adventure Time, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, and the uncertain future of Gumball.

The fact that they're not even willing to rerun the cancelled shows seems bizarre to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like for all of its making fun of fans who just want the old show back, TTG did come from a genuine place of liking the original series, they just were focused on doing a new, different thing. The last episode of TTG was a repeat of the original series, I'm not sure what to make of that.

http://teen-titans-go.wikia.com/wiki/Employee_of_the_Month:_Redux
http://teentitans.wikia.com/wiki/Employee_of_the_Month

It was clearly aware of it and pointed it out at the end, but the episode's premise was something just silly enough that TTG could go for an episode that was mostly similar and still come out unique.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also slightly redesigned the aesthetic of the show, just enough to miss the entire point of the original designs but not actually put any real personal spin on them. The professor loses his harsh angles and the girls' noodle limbs got shortened even more. All the colors are also all washed-out for some reason too. They're just blindly copying without really knowing why. I haven't watched too much of the new show, but the episodes I've seen alternate between being boring and trying too hard to be viral.

Compare that to the redesign in 2014, which had its own problems, but it was clearly trying something as opposed to just blindly copying.

There was also PPGZ, but I never watched it, and I don't know if it ever really caught on outside of Japan.

I didn't know about that part. Really casts a different light on things.

I don't think PPGZ gained any traction stateside, though I don't think much effort was put into pushing it anyhow. Afaict, it was a pretty by the numbers Magical Girl series except they added a boy who was a protege of the professor I think and love interest to one of the girls.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had to look it up, because I'm terrible at remembering dates, but Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Samurai Jack, Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, Megas XLR, Chowder, and Flapjack. I also remember enjoying Cartoon Cartoon Fridays back in the day, although it probably doesn't hold up at all now. There was a thing where they aired a bunch of pilots and let the audience vote on them.

But what really makes me nostalgic about the channel are the bits of flavor that they scattered around the commercial breaks. There were the Cartoon Network Groovies, and the Cartoon City bumpers, which I think the Amazing World of Gumall is the stylistic successor to, a bunch of characters in different styles existing in a 3D realistic environment.

Iirc, Sheep in the Big City was one of the series that won one of the pilot voting things. Same as Whatever Happened to Robot Jones and Billy and Mandy (which ended up getting a mildly amusing spin-off). I sorta feel bad for Maxwell Atoms since his latest project got a 40 11-minute episode order but it got sent to Boomerang after airing eight episodes.

Speaking of old CN cartoon producers, Tom Warburton (of KND fame) is now producing a Muppet Babies reboot for Disney

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well great, now I'm upset too. I vaguely remember hating this show as a kid.

It could be worse. It could be Super Duper Sumos

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I remember that it ended on a cliffhanger

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I wonder if it'll rerun on [adult swim] or is it out of the target demo?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Does this guy have a twitter and is he getting poo poo for it on it yet?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

the new Ben 10 loses massive points because the new Stinkfly design is infinitely more boring than the original.

Is it still recognizable as Stinkfly yet has a simpler design such that it's easier and cheaper to produce merchandise for?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

raditts posted:

TMNT '03 turned into hot garbage within a few seasons too.

I wouldn't say it turned into hot garbage until the Fourth season which was the one where they were in the future or something iirc (I stopped watching before then). Then they came back and it was breath of fresh air and there was the crossover movie with three "generations" of Turtles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Flash Forward was like Season 6, not 4.

Shows how much I paid attention (or cared to look anything up) then

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like it's either going to be absurdly good or absolutely terrible. Reviving a property like that, there's not much of a middle ground.

It takes very sharp writers to pull off the type of show Animaniacs as well as an outlet that'll mostly give them free reign.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like a modern version of Rocko's Modern Life would be pretty close to Regular Show or Quintel's new series for TBS.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Benne posted:

I could've sworn Fairly OddsParents went off the air like 8 years ago. They're still making new episodes in TYOOL 2017 :psyduck:

They milked the hell out of Season 9(!), which was spawned after a year long hiatus, for two years. Then they went and got a tenth season made. All of them have been aired abroad and that sort of thing generally heralds a "we don't give a gently caress about this series" alarm. Part of the season also switched over to Flash. It had also already had production ceased once before (season 5 was to be the last at the time).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

On one hand, Avatar was a creative world with great characters and ideas. On the other hand, Korra really struggled with the "seasons as independent mini-series" pacing. If they were to come back, I think they'd need to commit to doing longer seasons and arcs because tight pacing doesn't seem to be their strength.

Either that or focus on standalone stories with a Problem of the week style format and maybe a hint of overarching plot

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Same. It also felt like a story without an end goal, if that makes sense. Last Airbender had a structure even if it went and did comedy or other stuff along the way. The entire series had one end goal: Defeat the Fire Nation, and each season led to that goal by having Aang learn an element (while his companions experienced their own personal growth).

Korra, by comparison, starts with a weak rear end goal right from the start: Korra has to learn airbending*. Whoopee. And yes, there's a threat to be dealt with in the form of Amon and there's worldbuilding and stuff, but the show never feels like it's building to anything. And then after that each season introduces its own threat and then succinctly deals with it, but the show still never feels like it's building to anything except dealing with the next threat. 3 and 4 kind of worked by sending the world into sort of chaos, which is what the Avatar's supposed to prevent, but there was never a real overarching enemy like the Fire Nation in Avatar.

*Side note: this never made a lot of sense anyway according to the show's own rules. Earthbending was supposed to be hard for Aang because the elements were diametrically opposed; so Korra, the natural waterbender, should have problems with fire. But at the show's beginning, baby Korra's already throwing flames and for some reason when she gets to Republic City she has problems with airbending because ???

It doesn't make sense if you forget that there's a mental/emotional component to bending. Aang had the most difficulty with Earth since it contrasted too much with his own mindset (it's been a while since I watch AtLA so I might be a little off). In Korra's case, she couldn't quite get Airbending since her own mindset wasn't quite in tune with what wss needed for Airbending.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the back half of Korra is actually legitimately good and pretty much everyone I've seen that stuck around to get that far seems to agree, it's not perfect by any means but it is a major step up from what the show was like at the start.

To be fair, the disjointed nature of the series isn't entirely the creators' fault. Korra was originally going to just be a one season miniseries but Nick eventually demanded more leaving the writers without any real plan of where to go from there (which probably explains why the first season was so rushed and the second seemed like a massive step backwards for the franchise).

That's why the show doesn't really start establishing much in the way of a cohesive narrative until the second half. If they'd known it was going to last as long as it did (or at least that they were guaranteed one more season) they might have been able to plan things better and the show probably would have ended up being a lot less polarizing as a result.

The big thing I wish there was more of from S3 and 4 is more Zaheer and his crew and more of the old Gaang faffing about like Old Lady Toph

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Two was they didn't advertise it at all. I didn't know it was back until the 3rd season was about to be dropped from tv. Then again, I seem to have dodged a bullet.

Three was the lovely animation studio that did some of the episodes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Just saw this and yeah woof. The actions not syncing up great with the music is really disappointing as is the animation in general. It's all very stiff. That shot at the end where she shoots her wand at Ludo that's supposed to mimic the first intro is SO FLAT when you've seen the first intro doing that for so long.

I don't know why they didn't just do a shot for shot remake of the original but taking place in other dimensions instead of earth.

Probably because the other studio has all of the art assets that would make that task a whole lot easier and also have the exact same timings

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

One thing that pissed me the hell off was Nickelodeon's practically criminal treatment of the Avatar: TLA theme. Ever since I first saw it, it always felt like something that was cut abruptly short. And turns out it fricken' was! Here's the full theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYS02Gm92oI

Seriously, look how infinitely better the theme is in its full context. And for some dumb reason, Nickelodeon decided to cut the best part out. And don't tell me it's because they wanted a shorter intro for more time for ads or whatever. Spongebob's intro goes on for a full minute, as does Fairly Oddparents, and both those shows exist for nothing more than merchandise.

That's because they have a catchy theme song with lyrics and stuff rather than just a score.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

pretty much on the nose there;

https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/161910417311/so-is-mrs-beakly-as-swole-as-the-glimpses-weve

also for those requesting the modified Venture Brothers quotes, found them(apologies for the text dump);

Priest: "Give me the Beak of Osiris!''
Scrooge: "Give me head.''
Priest: "You didn't just say that!''
Scrooge: "I absolutely did. What are you gonna do about it?''
Priest: "I'm... about to kill your nephews.''
Scrooge (and Donald): "Join the club!''

>Why do we have to eat breakfast with your dead guy?
>Quackenstein's been through a lot, Dewey.
>Quackenstein!
>You like that, do ya lad?
>Sure do, Unca Scrooge!
>Good boy, Huey. Dewey, right now Huey is better than you.

Scrooge: Webby! Stop riding the Perfect Duck! Donald needs to kill him now.

Huey: Awww, can't we keep him?

Louie: Yeah, can't we?

Dewey: We'll feed the Perfect Duck and clean up after him and everything. Super swear. Please?

Scrooge: No. He's an abomination. Go ahead, nephew. (Donald brandishes his machete and walks towards the Perfect Duck)

>Whatever you do, Huey, don't light a cigarette. A good sniper can see a hot cherry for miles.
>Mrs. Beakley, I don't smoke.
>Good. Now's a lousy time to start.

>Grammy, I've thought a lot about it and if we can't get the antidote in time and it comes down to it, I... well, I want you to be the one to kill me.
>Don't talk like that Webby, we're gonna find...
>PROMISE ME, Grammy!
>Okay.
> Promise?
>Yes, I promise.
>Super-swear?
>YES, Webby.
>Hey, Grammy?
>Yeah?
>How would you do it?
>You're asleep, quick jerk of the neck, never feel a thing.
>You've thought about this.
>Yes, I have.

>"Welcome home, boys! Let's take a look at that sweet loot- ...Where are Bongo, Bombast, and Beauregard?"
>"We went to kidnap the nephews, but the housekeeper was there..."
>"Beakley? Aw, dang... Say no more. Poor babies... *sniffle*"

>"Now, I want you to put your hand around your throat, Huey.''
>"Uhh...alright.''
>"That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as a handle. Your thumb is on your carotid artery, that's your button. Now remember, grab the handle, push the button. Repeat that back.''
>"(gasping) Grab the handle, push the...''
>"Let go of your own throat, Huey.''

Officer: You will be paid handsomely. You and your family will live like kings in the GLORY of the NEW FATHERLAND!
Donald:...wait, you guys are Nazis!

Louie: Huey, Dewey, and I just woke up on the floor. We were playing Ouija and a woman hypnotized us.
Donald: (grumbles) Louie?
Louie: With her magical Dracula powers.
Donald: Louie, I'm going to turn around now and you'd better be on fire. You're standing there in flames and the only person who can put you out is me! Because that is the only conceivable reason that you would wake me up like this!

Huey: Are you okay, Uncle Donald?

Dewey: Yeah. Gearloose says you might be insane now and-

Donald: (chuckles) Are you kidding? ...okay, I'm just turning 16 and having a birthday pool party. My uncle invites every girl he knows, and I'm not talking about girls my age. No, not Scrooge. He invites Playboy Bunnies and models and, I think, actual whores - you know, real prostitutes. So there I am in my giant bathing suit with nervous puberty oozing out of my molting feathers. Just, just awful. So, the band suddenly stops playing and I hear "And now the fowl of the hour, Donald Duck!" All eyes on me, right? Then suddenly, almost predictably, Ludwig Von Drake shoots my groin with a shrink ray right as that loving jackass Emily Quackfaster pulls my shorts down.

Louie: Wow. That's...that's like a nightmare.

Donald: Oh, no! No! What I went through today was "like a nightmare." What happened when I was 16, that...is my life!

Launchpad: Those boys aren't even close to a chip off the old block. They've got guts!
Donald: Excuse me? You don't know me! Why, in my prime I saw some things that would make your head spin.
Launchpad: Yeah, I saw a guy's head spin like right off his neck. Why? Because I punched him. Top that!
Donald: Okay, okay. My uncle made me kill a man - KILL A MAN - with a house key. I was 10.
Launchpad: That's nothing! I ate a whole Labrador retriever once.

These need pictures to go with them. To go from terrific to godlike

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

This might be old news but apparently they're moving on to making Legend of Korra comics now, the first part debuts in late July.

This could be interesting based on the description (as an aside, I've never actually read the ATLA comics, are any of them any good?) but we'll see.

The ATLA comics are pretty decent. Some are definitely better than others, but it's really nice to have a lot more world to explore

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Its been, like, three or four years by now but afaik:
Ursa used to be an actress in a town, maybe an ember island play?, anyways she had a boyfriend but ended up with Ozai to help her family or something. Notes and timelines and forgery lead Zuko to think that Ursa actually got with the boyfriend just before marrying Ozai and thus this guy was his real daddy. Anyways, go to the future and Ursa killed Ozai's dad so that he'd become Fire Lord and then removed her own face thanks to The Face Stealer spirit in order to delete all evidence that could stand in the way of Ozai's rise to power. Zuko followed some trails lead by Ozai's plans, found his mom, got her old face and memories back and now sometimes hangs out with her, her new husband from when she had another face and their daughter/zuko's half sister. Ozai's plan fell apart when Zuko realized he was still his son and could just tell him to gently caress off anyway. It was, uh, more interesting I think, but that was my takeaway.

It was something like that. It also had Azula having to lead the way since she knew enough to lead them there before subsequently escaping. I didn't actually read this one myself, but I've read the others. The next arc resolves Azula's escape.

Other cool stuff from the comics: Toph starts a Metalbending school and becomes a controlling interest in a mining company. We also see her parents. We see the precursor of those people who end up becoming the Air Acolytes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madurai posted:

Congrats on going to a school that wasn't a dystopic jockocracy, I guess. Maybe things have changed since the Eighties, but I doubt it.

It depends on the school size and region I think. When I went to high school in the mid 00s at a small town in Florida, a sizable number of the academic high achievers were also in sports. Mind, all of our sports teams sucked or, at very best, did decent in the division. Divisions were more based on race, SES and whether or not you wore flannel regularly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Get thee to The Critic!

Rich? Yes
Popular? Moderately. He wasn't really hated by anyone at his school
Good looking? Ehhh....I would say not really, but makes up for it with his charisma and personality. A bit like Bobby Hill.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: I'm not exactly expecting to be blown away by it, but from what I've seen so far it looks like it'll be a pretty enjoyable show. The voices are different, but they've grown on me, and I really like the animation style they've gone with, as well as the emphasis on going back to the original comics as inspiration instead of simply treading the same ground as the previous show.

On a related note, there's a new clip that demonstrates a lot of what I like from what they've shown of the new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g&t=6s

I think there were initial worries that Webby would like a rehash of Mabel (fangirl + grappling hook!). Nope! That's good at least. It doesn't really describe the boys that much.

I do wonder if there'll be a sorta meta scene where someone asks why Donald speaks like a duck whereas everyone else speaks normally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Rocko's Modern Life reboot looking... good??? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF9aZxoipE

Lots of easy potshots at modern stuff, but I really hope that's not what the series is all about.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

The original series was basically "capitalism is bad" so i'd be surprised if it veered away from easy target territory

Fair. It's probably just the fact that they sorta blitzed through a whole season's worth of topics in one go in the preview and it feels like that might be everything there is to see in the series all summed up