Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Just finished watching the new season of Voltron. It was pretty good, lots of big things happening Zarkon's dead, for real this time, Lotor's the new emperor and might not be evil, Pidge found her dad and Keith found his mom, and some progress on whatever the hell is happening with Shiro.. I'm glad Lance got a bigger role this season, he even got a sword!

They also did the thing they did with seasons 3 and 4 where they took one season and split it in half for whatever reason(season "6" has already been announced for June). I wish they would just release the whole season at once instead of these 6 episode bursts.

At this point either Lotor's pulling the most amazing long con I've seen in a good while, or he really is on the level. His master plan still scares the poo poo out of me, even if it really is 100% altruistic. I can see it backfiring amazingly on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Huh, I didn't know that, weird.

Agreed. I don't see this plan ending well no matter what his true intentions are.

I also wonder what Haggar's ultimate goal is in all this. Zarkon is dead and she seems to have abandoned the empire entirely after her Sendak plan failed. She knows where Oriande is now and has "Shiro" in her pocket, so she's in a good position to cause some major damage.

Yeah, after this season I can easily see Haggar just going "fine, I'll do it myself," and actually becoming the big bad of the series because literally everyone else in front of her just up and died and her dumbass son actually did turn out to be a justice-minded reformer. Barring an unforeseen third option, it's looking like the main arc of the back half of the show is probably either going to be putting down Lotor's new empire after he turns on everyone or stopping Haggar's roulette wheel of crazy after she kicks Lotor of the throne... unless there's something even deeper than that from the original series that they can pull out as a surprise twist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Similar story for Star Trek Lower Decks. It’s only been released on CBS All Access for the US (maybe Canada), and literally nowhere else in the world, with no word about when/if anywhere else. Basically you wait in vain hope or you pirate.

It aired on CTV SciFi here in Canada, but that was basically an afterthought to it actually being on Crave, a Canadian proprietary streaming service that comes bundled with most cable packages these days anyway. Same story with Discovery and Picard.

Actually getting first-run Star Trek shows is one of those rare instances of Canada not getting screwed for digital content vis-a-vis the rest of the world, so I'll take what I can get.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

readingatwork posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1321142247128289286?s=21

Oh my God there are so many racists losing their poo poo in the comments, lmao.

If you're the kind of person who loses their mind because a cartoon told you, an alleged adult, to maybe try not being a racist and see how that works out, you may, just maybe... be a racist. And a really loving lovely human being in general, I dunno.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

they should change acmeuniveristy to a proper university instead of what was the middle school in the original.

and have all the "kids" be college grads that graduated into a market that doesnt want their flavor of cartoonmanship.

It's also established in-universe that toons who are forgotten about by the audience slowly grow older and die, so it would be kind of funny if they played to that premise and they came back and everyone is in their 30s or 40s for the first minute of the show because it's been like 20 years since anyone has actually given a solid gently caress about Tiny Toons :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently Sid and Marty Krofft are both still alive, which surprised me a bit

Also apparently they made a children's show centered around Richard Pryor which seems like a recipe for disaster to me

And yet, ironically, probably would have been a safer bet historically than making a children's show centered around Bill Cosby turned out to be :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So they greenlit this, but Green Arrow and the Canaries was just too much for them? :confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

They'd probably be doing a lot less complex stuntwork and can make up the gaps with CG better. given they have super powers.

Split the difference and have the PPG played by Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy, and Juliana Harkavy :hai:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, PPG has one of the villains getting a tooth knocked out with blood in the opening sequence.

McCraken also wanted to name the show The Whoop-rear end Girls and fought to like the last possible second to keep the name before he relented and secured a greenlight for the series from Cartoon Network.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I almost feel like Mike and Bryan cast Seychelle Gabriel in Legend of Korra as a means of apologizing that she had to be involved in the production of that trainwreck of a movie. Which was good either way because she knocked it out of the park as Asami Sato.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

In actual news, Sarah Michelle Gellar will apparently be voicing Teela in the upcoming MOTU sequel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xFRTLdKXH2I

And the full cast list:

Chris Wood as Prince Adam / He-Man
Mark Hamill as Skeletor
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela
Liam Cunningham as Man-At-Arms
Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn
Diedrich Bader as King Randor and Trap Jaw
Alicia Silverstone as Queen Marlena
Stephen Root as Battle Cat
Griffin Newman as Orko
Susan Eisenberg as Sorceress
Kevin Michael Richardson as Beast Man
Kevin Conroy as Mer-Man
Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops
Jason Mewes as Stinkor
Alan Oppenheimer as Moss-Man
Justin Long as Roboto
Tony Todd as Scare Glow
Phil LaMarr as He-Ro
Cree Summer as Priestess
Harley Quinn Smith as Ileena
Tiffany Smith as Andra

Good to see Alan Oppenheimer's involved in this one too in some capacity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Last I checked the Netflix show was in development hell due to Covid, I know the original creators bailed on it due to “creative differences” at least.

The show also picked up a new executive producer last week, but so their only credit of note seems to be "was the executive producer for that one final season of Sleepy Hollow where they desperately tried to right the ship after half the cast bailed because the previous showwrunners were incompetent racists and then it got cancelled anyway."

Not doing much in the way of rekindling optimism for the project, gotta say.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ruflux posted:

I'm pretty sure that was debunked just a few posts ago in this thread - apparently it was likely to be fabricated news from an untrustworthy website. I don't think it got picked up by any major sites since the source was so dubious.

Ah, I see. Good to know. Too many things about that story seemed dubious to begin with, so I’m glad it’s not true. Still plenty of other ways left for Netflix to gently caress up the series though, so let’s not exhale yet, I suppose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's time once again for my favourite game! Malice or Stupidity: YOU DECIDE!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What kind of person do you even have to be, on like a cellular level, to get not just mad at, but enraged over He-Man anyway? The last time I got mad over He-Man, I was 7 and the kid I was playing with said I couldn't be He-Man because he was He-Man, so I told him to piss off and went to go play with some other kids.

Also Orko's totally not actually dead, I'm planting my flag in that one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Smiley posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's YouTube recommendations are hosed right now. I wonder if any of these chuds realize constantly posting that rotten tomatoes score just makes the fans look like a bunch of out of touch man babies.

There’s an extension called BlockTube that’s available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera that allows you to completely voip these permanently inflamed penis-possessors from ever showing up again in your recommendations, search results, related videos, and even off-site embeds. I’ve been using it for like 3 years now and it has made my YouTube viewing algorithm-proof.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, that's largely my point. People are screaming Smith went "full woke" and it mostly adds up to "women and black people exist".

That's basically their argument against literally every show they hate for clicks and money. Add in queer people and you've got the whole platter covered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, and I'm just sitting here going "WHAT queer people?"

Teela touched Andra on the shoulder and smiled at her once or twice in recognition of something her protege accomplished either on her own merits or through teamwork. This clearly means they're gay. Ignore the fact that Teela has not stopped thinking about or pining away for Adam since the day he died*.

I also love the chud narrative that Teela is somehow selfish for reacting poorly to the revelation that basically everyone in her life except equally oblivious King Randor had been lying to her for years, and both versions of the man she loved literally just died ten minutes ago and his death was the thing that exposed that lie in the first place. Yes, someone reacting incredibly poorly to those things happening all at once and then taking some time to slowly get over those traumas is a total irredeemable selfish bitch. What a monster.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 25, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Honestly I think you'd be happier exploring Giorgio Tsoukalos's Ancient Aliens narrative. It's full of bullshit and more than a little racist at points, but it does visit some pretty (and pretty interesting) places and is a lot more fun than reading even more Rage, Rage from my mommy's basement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

It's not like they have the Ancient Aliens wearing white hooded robes or flying around in burning cross rockets or anything. There's just this constant subtle drumbeat of "Well, ancient humans were such stupid, primitive fucks that they couldn't so much as wipe their own asses without help/technology from the Star Peoples." Really the racism of Ancient Aliens is directed at the whole human race rather than at specific ethnic/cultural subgroups.

What the gently caress are you talking about and how is this relevant to anything that is being discussed here, you weirdo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think maybe they're (badly) trying to suggest that actively seeking out lovely chud takes to get mad at isn't entirely healthy? Which is a sentiment I can sorta get behind, at least, even if the post itself is pretty :psyduck:.

Were it so easy to avoid short of never looking at the internet ever again, I suppose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Nu He-Man is good, actually. Can confirm. Though I'll grant that it might have been considerate to let people know going in that the focus would be on other characters.

I cock my eyebrow at people who go "I would have been more generous toward it better if they'd called it Teela and the Masters of the Universe". So literally the only thing you're mad about is a non-indicative title? :doh:

These are the kind of people for whom lawsuit-proofing warning labels were created. poo poo like "do not place directly on face" on a clothes iron or whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

In catching up with the thread, The New Adventures of He-Man looks...worse than the original series in spite of it being produced later.

It is somehow the platonic encapsulation of the phrase “a 90s He-Man cartoon.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

lol at basically any live action adaptation of a cartoon. They are ill-advised at best.

At this point I'd rather get some news on the new animated shows the original creators are making and/or supervising. I've already seen how a live action Avatar plays out and I didn't care for it the first time around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Having read into it, apparently it's actually pretty common for casting calls to include completely erroneous plot details, so take those reports with a grain of salt.

Yeah, in the age of NDAs, especially for big projects like this, virtually no information on a call sheet is accurate for the sake of protecting secrecy.

The go-to example I have for this is Travis Willingham, an already well-established voice actor, going into an audition for a project he was told nothing about to read for a role that was described only to him by the casting director as “a military officer.”

He read a few lines, still in the dark about what the hell he was even auditioning for until he flipped over the script page and saw “SONIC BOOM!” and realized on the spot he was auditioning for Guile and the project was a new Street Fighter game. That’s how hosed up and secretive major casting processes are these days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

amigolupus posted:

For a second there I thought you meant he was auditioning for the role of Knuckles, since he's both in Sonic Boom and was a military officer/leader of the resistance. :v:

I had the exact thought myself as I was writing it. "Oh, I could just as easily have been describing his audition for Knuckles in this current industry climate". So I'm glad we're of a mind together in that regard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I'm sure kids will like it and I wish them the best, but I don't think this is my thing. Who knows, though? I'll keep my ears to the ground and see what the vibe is. Maybe it will surprise me.

Based on the trailer it looks like they’re doing enough interesting stuff story and character-wise that I might check it out, even if the art style is weird and off putting. I have a feeling it’s ultimately going to be merely Okay, especially when stacked up against She-Ra and Revelations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

New Duncan also strikes me as kind of Sokka-esque, not sure how to feel about that right now.

I'm totally fine with Robo Orko and Teela being a sorceress herself though (weird that Tom Kenny is using his Clone Wars narrator voice and not one of his higher pitched ones however).

It's also looking from the promo shots that Robo Orko is either just a robot drone that's taken to cosplaying as the real Orko for some reason, or was made by Orko in his image, again for some reason. That's got me more intrigued than anything else I saw in the trailer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Huh, I just assumed it was the same Orko but he was a robot instead of a Trollan in this version (if not, I wonder if we’ll meet the real deal at some point then).

Also do we know how many episodes the first season of this is going to be yet?

I mean something up with the backstory because you see Robo Orko posing in front of a statue of what's implied to be the real Orko that's old enough to have had one of its arms fallen off by now, and if you look closely at Robo Orko's design, the hat, scarf, ears, robe and wrappings around his arms to simulate sleeves have clearly been added on later to a pre-existing robot design in an attempt to mimic the look of the statue. So there is a story there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The difference is I can instantly differentiate and recognize the CalArts characters.

The irony being most of the shows people scream "cALaRrTs StYlE!" aren't done by people who even went to CalArts so the term is a loving meaningless internet buzzword :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The United States posted:

We got a live one boys

Also probably not indicative of anything but the last person who I saw get this level of unrelentingly worked up about “CalArts Style” eventually wound up outing themself as a literal for real Nazi. Not that that’s going on here though. I’m just noting that that was literally the last time I heard anything about “CalArts”.

Well, that and that one time a dude got arrested for plotting to walk into the school with an AR-15 and mow down as many people as he could in the name of saving cartoons from looking too stylistically similar for his tastes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

This world is so hosed up I can't tell whether this actually happened or not.

Daily Dot: Shooting threat at CalArts may have been over cartoon controversy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Does Luke Skywalker count? He only lost his hand.

Luke is only sometimes animated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Did anyone like masters of the universe revelations? I thought I’d enjoy it due to nostalgia but even with knowing that it is part 1, the ending kinda soured me in a couple of ways in Lynn’s quick change of character ( though that may be addressed in part 2) and did no one really not see Skeltor and think to stop him?

Madurai posted:

It was... fine, I guess? The original He-Man was admittedly a little after my time, so I experienced neither the highs of finding Easter eggs nor the lows of my expectations being subverted.

I enjoyed it well enough having seen enough of the original show to know who was who and what was what without really being a fan of it. But it'll all really depend on how the second half of the show turns out, I suppose. Right now Episode 4 was the only real stand out "great" episode because Griffin Newman and Lena Headey picked that fucker up and carried it on their shoulders. I'm looking forward to the second half, but at the end of the day, it's a He-Man show, it is what it is even if it's a tiny bit more emotionally mature than the longform toy ad it was based on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arist posted:

Ben Diskin is a good VA

:yeah:

The dude's range is amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

TIL not only was Ben Diskin in Kindergarten Cop, he was Eugene on Hey Arnold (from when hewas 15.)

So that's another Kingdom Hearts main character voiced by a former child star.

He's also Beebo on Legends of Tomorrow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Skeletor is really the star of the new He-Man. He manages to tread that line between hilarious and imposing without going too far in the other direction.

As he should. I hope we get more funny Skeletor out of Hamill's version in Revelations, Part 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Skeletor is really the star of the new He-Man. He manages to tread that line between hilarious and imposing without going too far in the other direction.

Having now watched CG He-Man and going back to this post, I can safely say that Ben Diskin's Skeletor is now firmly my favorite Skeletor. He plays it to the hilt AND the script strikes that perfect balance of "This guy is a complete dipshit who can still somehow terrify the poo poo out of AND obliterate you."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

I am enjoying it so far. I also feel that Master Shake is doing s great job in his role.

There has not been a thing yet where Dana Snyder was not the absolute best part of whatever it is that he’s in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the Kevin Smith show Revelation is a semi-sequel to the 80’s original with a slightly more adult tone. The CG show however is a complete reboot of the series like the Netflix She-Ra series from a few years ago was.

Good news, that’s as bad as this show gets in terms of humor and nothing like that ever comes up again.

Yeah, that was probably the only real bad joke in the show so far. CG He-Man was otherwise pretty drat funny for what it is.