Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaz-L posted:

It took me an embarassingly long time to realise that part of the reason the new show is called She-Ra & The Princesses of Power is to mirror the franchise's origins: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe.

Mermista and Scorpia are the best. Also Swift Wind.

As someone who grew up watching a VHS tape of the original She-Ra pilot movie until it started to wear out, I enjoyed all the little nods. Plus there's what seem like a bunch of little trap-doors where things can either just be cute references or can be expanded into lore stuff if they're allowed to delve further into the franchise's toybox. Like Light Hope's avatar being vaguely Sorceress-inspired. Could just be a neat little homage, or could be used to foreshadow that, say, it's based on it's programmer who has a familiar bird-like motif. I do kind of miss the Crystal Castle being just a ridonkulous fantasy palace without doors.

And yeah, OG She-Ra makes silver age Superman look like a one-trick pony. Standards and Practices being so against her using the sword for sword things, and against punching because *gasp* girls don't FIGHT! meant that the sword basically turned into any tool she needed. She could talk to basically any animal. Had empathic and telepathic powers, the healing hands of a D&D paladin. By contrast, He-Man was A Dude Who's Pretty Strong. And that was about it.

It was one of the weird times when nonsensical censoring makes a character cooler because it forced the writers to be more creative with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

I'd recommend Johnny Test. It starts off a bit rough but really picks up after a while and becomes genuinely great. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something to binge for a few hours.

Oh! But don't skip any of the early episodes as there are several important developments later on that won't make sense without context. Just start on episode one and keep on watching until it starts getting good. You'll know when you get there!

You're a sadist.

Here's a deep cut if you're looking for a fun fantasy series:

"Dofus: the treasures of kerub" it's a prequel to "Wakfu", but more slice of lifey and with better animation. I strongly recomend watching it (and Wakfu) in the original french with subtitles.

Edit:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been putting on Scooby movies in the background, and they're great for something you don't really need to pay attention, because you look for a little bit, and something insane is happening like Velma trying to kill everybody by driving off a cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29zn5-yuOFg

Okay, this clip convinced me I need to watch the rest of this movie ASAP. Thank you.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 10, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Beachcomber posted:

All the voices sound ...off?

In the scooby doo clip? Probably because the voice actors have been auto-tuned, I doubt any of them are regular singers.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

readingatwork posted:

Dofus is (for real) really good and I highly recommend it. The movie that serves as a sequel is also genuinely amazing and I enjoyed it more than most big budget theatrical CGI movies made in the past few years. You definitely need to get the french version though since the English dub is a bit... terrible. Which is too bad because I think the Wakfu franchise as a whole would do really well in the states with better localization.

Side rant: gently caress you Vrv get the french sub of Dofus up on your site!

The Dofus movie is, no joke, one of my favorite films of all time. I really hope a sequel comes out at some point (I mean it's called "book one" which in implies there must be more books at some point, right?)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

In this one, Carmen is a heroic figure who steals from VILE to give back to the rightful owners, but finds herself running afoul of ACME as well.

Aw what? That's kind of lame.

I gotta be honest, I prefer the over the top "I put my face on the moon just because I loving could" super villain Carmen San Diego who does whatever she wants instead of this Robin Hood nonsense.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Like the look of the new Carmen Sandiago, but sad that she's probably not going to be stealing THE INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE any time soon.

Or K2.

Or "the dykes".

Or "all the goulash".

Carmen Sandiago stole a lot of weird poo poo, and she also stole my eight year old heart.

Same.

Other things stolen by Carmen Sandiago include: The Snow From Atop Mt Fuji, Every Last Drop Of Salsa, The Abominable Snowman, The Trans-Siberian Railroad, and all The Kiwi Birds.

She was ridiculous, and I loved her.

The reboot looks okay, and I'll probably like it more when I watch it, but I still kinda wish they had kept her as a more insane (but also more kid friendly) female version of Lupin the third.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 5, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Excellent!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm so surprised at how good Rise of the TMNT is. Everything from the animation to the color palette to the framing of the shots to the dialogue is great. I had my doubts when I first saw the new designs and the whole magic weapons and magic pet dog, I thought they were going to be stupid edgey, but instead it's stupid stupid, which works really well. Even their new take on Splinter is growing on me. I never knew I wanted a Danny DeVito/Jackie Chan hybrid until it was presented to me. April's also a lot stronger of a character than she was in the last series, and I don't really miss Shredder.

I'm still not entirely sure how to describe Leo's dynamic, but I think he may be the Hot Rod to Raph's Ultra Magnus? I really love Raph as the leader though, he's just a big galoot full of love for his family.

I love Rise, the animation and humor are spot-on and the most recent episode had one of the best villain songs I've seen in a while.

Strong recommend, even for people who don't usually like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The only thing surprising about this is that it didn't happen sooner.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It should have been Maid Marian and her Merry Men in the 22nd Century.

You dropped the ball YouTube!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TV Zombie posted:

it really is the best CN show on, right now.

Craig of the Creek is good, but as a long time fan of meta-humor Teen Titian's Go is still at the top of my list.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thundersword238 posted:

Loonatics is great, if only because when they started to use Looney Tunes characters as villains instead of original characters, they decided to make Granny of all people into Emperor Palpatine. Sylvester is Darth Vader, and she hires him to assassinate Tweety so she can take control of his planet.

It's so loving stupid that it comes back around to being amazing.

They honestly should have made Loonatics more insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

While modern cartoons are making 80s references the target audience won't understand, 80s cartoons were making 50s references the target audience wouldn't understand.

All kids show references will always be a generation behind.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Timon and Pumbaa show was really weird and pretty much a Disney attempt at Ren and Stimpy. Simba also showed up on occasion, the adult post-Lion King one, and while apparently accused of acting out of character to go along with their antics, given Timon and Pumbaa basically raised him through his adolescence, for Simba it'd be just like old times.

Look, can't a king take some time off to goof around with his foster parents for a while?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No.1 Special posted:

In case anyone cares, Mighty Magiswords' new episodes are getting dumped at 11:30 am pacific and OK KO is back in NuPPG's timeslot on Sunday.

Is NuPPG still ongoing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels like I hadn't heard Richard Horvitz in anything for a long time, but then both Invader Zim and Psychonauts got brought back at around the same time

Last I heard the dude was teaching at a college, so he gets by fine without voice acting checks.