Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Movies don't have to deal with the same censors that TV shows do.

Modern TV shows definitely get away with death more (Clone Wars in particular has a huge deathcount), but I still have yet to see proper realistic guns in a cartoon that children are expected to watch. Of course, with the way the NRA and gun laws are going in America, I should feel glad that there's somewhere where someone has drawn the line.

I think I heard somewhere that the censors are happy for you to show real death, or say death-related words, but not both at once.

Also I'm trying to find that Wonderella comic but I can't remember the keywords/name for the life of me. I hate searching archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rhonne posted:

I'll never forget that episode of Gargoyles where Goliath is sent to that dark future and gets to see everyone he knows and loves die horribly.

Of course, it was all just Puck loving with him, but still, it was pretty messed up. They made Broadway blind!

The 2000s TMNT did that too. Quite common in a lot of things, really, I think X-Men mighta popularised it with the original Days of Future Past.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finished watching Angry Beavers, and I think the show holds up as well as it ever did. So much of the humor of the show comes from the goofy ways that the main VAs talk and mispronounce everything, I really wonder how the hell the scripts were written in the first place. There were also a bunch of episodes that centered around simple beaver biology, which is always a nice touch when you have animal characters, acknowledge they're animals. Reminds me of a lot of the early Spongebob episodes.

It's still a drat shame that the last episode never got animated.

I remember Norbert went on to voice Salem in the Sabrina cartoon and Dagget famously voices Invader Zim, in pretty much the same voices. Those two alone pretty much carried much of the show.

And the Oxnard Montalvo Halloween special was wonderful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I think it's the same thing as BtAS having tommy guns and zeppelins, and streamlined fat cars and a general 40s ish aesthetic, while across the bay Metropolis has loving 8 story superhighways, retrocomputers in desks , rayguns and an art deco futurism.

They're pretty consistent with it in TaleSpin though. Radio is the medium of the day, zeppelins are still a thing, the only jet engines and helicopters seen are bleeding-edge prototypes equivalent with sci-fi tech today, and the implied sort of Pacific (I think) setting still has a lot of relatively unexplored islands and land. Though the (super-racist and withdrawn) China episode is Cold War Communist, iirc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Monkey's paw wishes and the like can be done very well when they involve exploring a different take on the established setting and character dynamics. Was kinda the whole point of 'It's A Wonderful Life' and all.

Also reminded of the common 'You time travelled to the future, and now everything's hosed sideways without you' thing, I recall Teen Titans and 2000s-era TMNT did it. The whole thing where your future self doesn't exist because you disappeared when you time travelled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a lot of kids shows, like Rugrats, where the parents end up being by far more interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given they're shown on the toilet once or twice (a litter box next to a fire hydrant, of course) I think it's meant to be inferred they poop from somewhere in the middle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Totally Spies has, uh... its own particular reputation and following.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ninjago is just ninja lego Power Rangers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised, reminded how Transformers Animated had to end early and The Hub briefly existed entirely because Hasbro was sick of CN's poo poo, apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's funny when people act like Transformers is a kooky piece of nostalgia when the franchise has almost never been off the air since the 80s in various forms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Good Listener posted:

It's probably because in the US between G1 and Beast Wars, it had been basically 9 years since anything new Transformers cartoon related appeared on tv. It was all just reruns from the original show up until that point. I didn't even hear about the continuing G1 stuff in Japan until years after the fact. Also I think most people try to push the Unicron trilogy out of their heads.

And no one remembers the comedic 90s anime Robots In Disguise to the point where they made a new show with the same subtitle. :argh:

It had Sky-Byte!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

2001 RID was definitely one of the most 'cartoony' of the Transformers shows, oddly enough, depending on how you count G1. (Which seems to have some interesting stuff in there but I find the animation and sound quality make G1 unwatchable for me) You're right in that the Autobots were pretty overstaffed, though in turn even the goofier Predacons were genuine threats when they got their poo poo together. And Megatron was like, a six-changer.

Had the obligatory anime teenager whose dad was being held captive by Decepticons for the first season, the not quite as obligatory anime computer girl, and that poor woman who was always somehow getting caught up in Transformer shenanigans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A bit of that, though Bumblebee wasn't in it. It had Side Swipe instead, the sports car who was always hitting on red sports cars (almost always with Kelly in them) and not quite getting that Earth ones aren't sentient.

Mostly it had more combiners on the cast than anything since G1, and paid a little more attention to scale, so Team Bullet Train were goddamn huge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

Side Burn, not Sideswipe.

Thassit. Look, can you blame me for not keeping all these car names straight? I'm starting to see why since the Bayformers movies every version just uses the same names now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I find season 1 to be pretty rough in retrospect while Season 2 has many of my best episodes, so. Worth sticking with if you enjoyed the first season I'd think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Vs cribs a fair bit from magical girl animes, knowingly (if you're in season 2 you'll come up to a character that quickly comes off as a parody of Sailor Moon, if Usagi's quirkiness hit critical mass) which seems to help it go from comedy into pathos without getting too clunky or the need to throw in jokes all the time, while Gravity Falls never seemed to quite get past the need to be a cartoon. Which kinda helped with the finale turning into a full on Chaos Incursion, but hurt the attempts at serious themes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guy Mann posted:

They introduce a new younger Frizzle character and still make the original look younger too.

Something, something, she's obviously a Time Lord. I recall Doctor Who being described to me as a child as being about a man who keeps getting younger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I half expect it to be about the girls making a fourth one of them, and design it so that 'She's Tough' and 'Cool Looking' and 'Our Best Friend", and while at first it's fun and cool, she ends up boringly flawless and keeps one-uping them. Eventually they get upset and don't like her anymore, and the fourth one (who shall be called something like Sparkle-puff) ends up sacrificing herself and then the girls feel bad. They erect a statue in her honor, and from then on is never spoken of again.

Remember, the motto of the show is 'The path of least resistance'.

It's been pretty impressive at how quickly they've pissed away every drop of goodwill the PPG revival had.

Probably doesn't help that they don't seem to have any of the original people behind it, who'd long moved on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Bullet was a squirrel they gave Chemical X to and made an honorary member*(weird thing about it was in it's debut appearance they called it a girl, but in it's second episode they consistently called it a boy)

Possibly they checked underneath between episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think NuPPG only lasted this long because they bought two seasons right off the bat; given the reception, I doubt it'll last much longer than that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cartoon Network has been occasionally teasing Captain Planet things floating around in the bottom of their IPs.

The Planeteer outfits have kinda held up well at least for being distinctive without necessarily being stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flash is the modern equivalent of Filmation or Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Hour, it's never going away until a cheaper option is available.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The 86 Transformers movie underperformed, iirc. Also, Hasbro-Takara was legit shocked that people were actually upset about robots dying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MML struck me at first as a show that kinda has trouble finding a central premise, given there isn't too much to the main character personality-wise and escalating shenanigans can't carry everything, but they seem to have done a decent job mixing things up in recent episodes. Learned a bit, I think, from the strictly segregated shenanigans of P&F (because after all, the most interesting episodes were often the ones where things got mixed up together) and worked on how a character with merely bad luck and causing disasters wherever he goes is a pretty fun and flexible plot device. (Oddly enough, Milo's curse seems best analogous to a disability in the way people treat it, from uncomfortable ignorance to acceptance and understanding)

The Doctor Who parody works great because it goes full hog into how weird, goofy and oft impenetrable the show and its fanbase are, as well as the low budget sci-fi shenanigans.

Also rather like that Cavendish and Dakota, well, Dakota specifically, just gets the idea to ask Milo about what the gently caress is going on with him, and they end up becoming friends. Contrast how the other time-travellers end up scaring and antagonising the kids with their transparent lies and attempts at intimidation. A nice lesson on how treating people reasonably is generally the best way to get something done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ultimate Muscle actually had an extra season ordered specifically by 4kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course the BTTF2 reference town is a 'time travel Bermuda Triangle'.

Cavendish and Dakota also do pretty well because they quickly accept Murphy's Law and even incorporate it into their plans. Dealing with it is all about learning to improvise and bounce back from setbacks, which they're excellent at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ghostfreak is also still really weird and dangerous by the standards of the Omnitrix aliens, I recall, to the point where Ben tries to avoid using it because he loses control.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds like they finally realised that CG makes for good movies, but is horrible for TV shows, because new assets are so expensive to make. It's easy to see Sonic Boom and TMNT struggling against the bounds of their budgets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

The main characters look great, but there's a lot of moments watching Boom where you can see the budget. Like, for example, any fight scene. Which is fine because Boom is focused more on comedy than action, but it's still noticeable.

I was thinking more the settings and additional characters; you know they're scraping when the deliberately blandly designed background characters (At least, I hope that was on purpose) start having episodes of their own and appearing in random roles, and they have enough trouble establishing a sense of place given they re-use the same settings so much. (Last I checked, anyway) TMNT similarly struggles in early episodes where New York is a ghost town.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though all things considered, accelerating the ending to give some actual closure and go out on a high note was probably one of the better ways they could have dealt with creative burnout. It's clearly a show they put a ton of effort into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whiz Palace posted:

That's why so many people want Star to go Full Evil instead, because it'd be so much more interesting.

I can picture this involving her trying to get back together with Tom... who might have been into it when first introduced, but now I can imagine it's more funny to turn the tables on Tom and have him realise how creepy and terrifying it is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nick kinda blazed the trail for the cartoon channels airing hours and hours of Spongebob all day.

On another note; since it's been literally decades since I recall Hey Arnold, should I watch some episodes to catch up before catching The Jungle Movie? And any ones in particular you recommend?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 26, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar TLA doesn't help up greatly writing-wise when it compares to other cartoons that aren't afraid to take things a little more seriously, but the design, choreography and worldbuilding of it are still pretty cool.

Korra seemed to me like a bad idea from the outset given it was both more ambitious (tackling social issues both real and fantastic, presenting a more modernised setting, older protagonists with Teen Issues rather than the kids-forced-to-grow-up-fast of the original) and had less time to work with. I don't get why every writer seems to think Teen Drama is automatically catnip when it can be a total anchor on a show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

Mind listing these other cartoons? I've never heard of them.

Eh, maybe I worded that wrong. Early episodes in particular have a more cliched sense of humour and characterisation (and Aang can get a bit grating) compared to the kind of self-awareness you get these days, but that might not be as big an issue as I remember. Not a lot of subtleties in characterisation, aside from Zuko anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half the time I could swear writers are trying to re-live their dimly remembered high school years where they actually get to go out with the pretty popular girl this time, or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of would like to see something like Avatar but with bending replaces with something else and the implications thought through differently.

X-Men?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kind of the core concept of the original Avatar is the protagonist being the local Buddha-Jesus-Superman figure who's come back to a world that's both strange and familiar to him, and explore to find out exactly what happened and how the world has changed, and how to set right what went wrong in his absence while facing impossible odds. An underdog hero with great potential he doesn't know how to use setting out to fix a broken world is a classic and gives plenty to work with.

Korra, in comparison, seems more like putting out brushfires and causing as many problems as she solves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

god, Kid Radd is probably unreadable now with modern browser standards

IIRC, they made some effort to update it to work on modern stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a shame given the PPG already had a perfect Christmas special in the original show.