Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

With very few exceptions (The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Spongebob), animated shows almost never last more than 3 seasons, and when they do there's usually a shift in production (like Batman:TAS and Dexter's Lab coming back with completely different teams and art styles and being inferior in every way to the original). I'd rather Flapjack and the rest finish their run and let the creators go on to new things rather than just :regd08: year after year.
There are more than you give credit. King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead, Futurama, Robot Chicken, Venture Bros., Doug, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Teen Titans, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern life, Foster's Home, Samurai Jack, Ed Edd and Eddy, off the top of my head. Most of them not changing quality much through their run. Not saying they are very common, though. But it's not that few.

Though some of them hit the 52 ep ceiling. The problem with animation is kids are a tough demographic. It's hard to make a show that kids will keep watching for a long time. It makes more financial sense to have a year worth of episodes and play reruns for pure profit rather than continuously produce shows that'll only lose viewership over time to the next big thing.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This new Scooby Doo show is weird. I'm not sure if it's bad or not because it's not totally abrasive and impossible to watch like Johnny Test but it's on right before Adult Swim and doesn't really seem that funny or weird or like it pushes any envelopes at all.

But then at the same time this episode on now has Scooby catching Shaggy and Velma making out and gets all jealous which is probably the weirdest thing to ever happen in a Scooby Doo cartoon outside of Harvey Birdman.
Weirder than all the crossovers like when Batman and Robin came in?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

mobo85 posted:

There have been a number of interesting references to Scooby-Doo and Hanna-Barbera history on the show. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:

-Nugget Nose from The Galloping Ghost appears in a flashback about Gatorburg, a town which mined alligators ("See, this is what happens when you build a civilization around an entirely gator-based economy")
-The teenage versions of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm appear in the background in the crab-man episode
-Daphne hums the theme song to "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" to herself
-The villain of one episode is a girl falsely claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper
-The Hex Girls from Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost play an important role in one episode
The whole first episode is full of references to the original series.

I didn't get one of the ones you mentioned though. What do you mean a girl "falsely" claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper?

The only weird thing about that flashback is her being younger and everyone else being the same age. I don't remember it being regarded as false though.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

It was revealed to be a fake story, and she was being paid off by Mr. E to commit the crime of the week in order to get them back of the trail of the old crew. The age difference was intentionally screwed up.
I can't believe I forgot about that part.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

I definitely like how they changed a lot of the characters in Scooby to be more interesting. The whole gang isn't just happy go lucky all the time and doing the same poo poo. There's some drama. Velma isn't all nerdy and saying jinkies (she only said it once so far I think). She's insecure and a stronger character but she still has problems (she's getting jealous over a dog and a bit controlling). Daphne is pretty insecure and obsessive, which you wouldn't expect from her. Fred is pretty dense and obsessed about traps. It's hilarious.

The only character that's not really changed at all is Shaggy. But his situation of being with Velma adds enough to his character to keep him fresh. My biggest peeve with the series is probably the change in Scooby. Originally he had two or three demeanors: scared, normal, and hungry. Plus there's the Scooby snack mode. Now he's insanely jealous over Shaggy spending time with Velma. And does the whole pissed off no talking poo poo. It's dragging on a bit too long. It just bothers me because the whole game is supposed to be friends and yet Velma is getting jealous over a talking dog.

One thing I like is how crazy the parents are. They did a really good job of developing the setting. Crazy poo poo happens and people accept that like it's nothing. I find that aspect pretty hilarious.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

IRQ posted:

Wait, are you saying they've actually made a love triangle between Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby?
Yes. Scooby gets jealous and at one point in the latest episode even asks Shaggy if he's cheating on him. The gag can be pretty funny sometimes but the joke's been going on too long. I miss the normal Scooby.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

IRQ posted:

Wow, I watched some of tonight's episode and it's even worse than the original Scooby Doo.

Velma isn't hot anymore, she inexplicably wants to jump Shaggy's bones, and uh, Scooby does too, Fred is obsessed with traps (this was actually hilarious taken completely out of the intended context, especially the "Traps Magazine" he was embarrassed about Daphnee finding), and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.
I think the show is great and hilarious. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and that's what's great about it. It's basically a metajoke on the original show with tons of ridiculous poo poo going on. Fred's obsessions with traps is hilarious. Daphne as an insecure clone of her other 4 sisters is funny as hell. I don't know what you mean about the traps stuff being taken out of context. It's always intended to be silly.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

I skimmed most of that since I don't know anything about Sym-biotic Titan and thus aren't interested in it...yet. This part was the part that interested me the most:

quote:

TZN: Is there any more news about the Samurai Jack animated feature film you can share? Now that you're working with Cartoon Network again, are you going to try to do a finale for Samurai Jack? Do you even have an ending in mind for the show?

GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY: We are currently writing the Samurai Jack movie. All I can say is that features progress very slowly, but it seems like we are going to make it. But in the movie business it can take 5 to 7 years before it actually hits the screens. Hopefully it will be much sooner than that. As far as I know CN has no plans for a finale for Samurai Jack...and YES I have an amazing ending figured out!! Write letters! Demand that they make me do it! Please!

gently caress Cartoon Network for not wanting to finish it. I can't wait for the movie though. He makes it sound like the movie wouldn't finish it though, that he'd need Cartoon Network to pick it back up to finish the plot.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Apparently there's some shakedown going on at Cartoon Network west coast HQ (maybe the whole company). I was invited to have a tour of the studios by a dad of one of the producers that works there (who worked on Chowder) but then I heard it fell through because of some shakedown at the company making it a bad time to visit.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I get their complaint and I agree with it but man, I would watch the gently caress out of a Burger King show staring The King. I wonder what he does in his free time when he's not giving people Whoppers? Do you think he eats at Burger King too? So many questions to ask... :allears:
I find it weird that it's bad to have iconic spokesman characters have their own cartoons but the opposite is allowed. We've had Simpsons promoting Butterfingers (and CC Lemon in Japan) and Flintstones promoting Fruity Pebbles for decades.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 25, 2010

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sockser posted:

^^ and Winston cigarettes!
Am I weird for thinking it's out of place that they have pocket lighters in the Flintstones? A neat thing about the show is most inventions other than simple tools like spoons are run by animals and humans. A zippo/wick lighter in the Flintstones makes no sense. What's the fuel?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

mobo85 posted:

Doesn't the ad show that the lighter is powered by two sticks rubbed together?

ETA: Oh, the seahorse teacher is Master Shake.
I didn't notice. Watching these makes me realize how much I miss watching the Flintstones. There's just something endearing about animals in every scene reacting to the poo poo going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfmWWZ9uSE&feature=related

I find it funny that when he pulls it off the shelf it already has cigs sticking out. It's so out of place in a show where they use stone for everything. Is there even paper in the Flintstones world?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Fishylungs posted:

No paper, always stone tablets.

:ohdear: I wonder what that means. They've finally hit a wonderful stride with Regular Show, Adventure Time, just coming off Chowder and Flapjack, their action is awesome with Sym-bionic Titan and Star Wars, I hope none of these are affected.

It's kind of like when they had their massive block of Cartoon Cartoons when I was younger, everything is just kind of fun and awesome.
I don't think Cartoon Network will ever hit the stride they did back then when they were experimenting on so many new shows by new talent. It was basically a renaissance in their programming. There's definitely some great stuff being made now but it's not the same as when they were premiering new and original content every week on their programming block dedicated to new shows/pilots. I remember when Friday was a huge night for them showing all their big new hits and premiering new stuff to see what would stick.

You basically just named a handful of good series, back then we had more than I can name.

Anyways I don't know if it's just nostalgia glasses but I really miss the old days of CN. I don't mean none of the new stuff is good but I remember watching a lot of classic stuff like Flintstones, Jetsons, Popeye, Tom and Jerry as well as random stuff on Toonheads and even a lot of black and white stuff. Then they started working on new original shows like Two Stupid Dogs and the Cartoon Cartoons, which were great. These days it's mostly new shows and reruns of shows that came out within the last few years. Most shows that come out seem pretty derivative, though we get some gems in there. It's not to say classic shows weren't poo poo either. For every Flintstones where was Jabberjaw, Hong Kong Phooey. For every Wacky Races there was endless Screwy Squirrel and Pirates of Dark Water.

I guess I wish I had Boomerang.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 25, 2010

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I'm here at CN and I haven't heard anything about any type of craziness going down other than the usual craziness from the adult swim guys.
At the west coast headquarters?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

PicklePants posted:

Holy crap.. I'm watching the Re-Run of the 2nd episode of Symbiotic Titan. Sure. It hits a lot of cliche's of the Giant Robot/Team but.. it's also really fun and over the top.

Also, drat brutal. Good fight scenes, a nice chase scene.. and it never forgets about the home world.

I like the characters, and it's fun with awesome art.
Try posting in the Sym-Bionic Titan thread.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

scorpiobean posted:

Since when is the 90s considered retro? :saddowns: I swear I'm not that old!

10 years ago the 80s was considered retro. Only makes sense. I can't wait for 2000-2010 to be considered retro.

150KB/s used to be fast internet? WOW!

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

They sleep well knowing that they created the best episode of any cartoon ever: Wacky Delly.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

When I lived in LA last year I met the father of one of the line producers of Chowder. I almost got to go to Cartoon Network to get a personal tour but that fell though due to a company shake up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, its a shame about Symbionic Titan but who didn't see this coming (if not this season then at least next season) the show just didn't find an audience and was preforming worst in its time-slot against a bunch of shows that cost less than it to make.
I read that it was doing well in terms of ratings just wasn't marketable enough for merchandise/toys.

CN makes some stupid decisions sometimes. They greenlight Ben 10 for 30 million seasons but kill Teen Titans at the height of its popularity when it was one of their highest rated shows. I can only imagine the same applied to Justice League which could have easily lasted at least one more season. I know the creators were ready to end it a season prior to the end, but drat I still miss that show. The last season had some of the best episodes (Flash eps are the best).

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 25, 2011