Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What happened to the Firebreather preview I wanna see that :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
This new Scooby Doo show is weird. I'm not sure if it's bad or not because it's not totally abrasive and impossible to watch like Johnny Test but it's on right before Adult Swim and doesn't really seem that funny or weird or like it pushes any envelopes at all.

But then at the same time this episode on now has Scooby catching Shaggy and Velma making out and gets all jealous which is probably the weirdest thing to ever happen in a Scooby Doo cartoon outside of Harvey Birdman.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Ice Blue posted:

Weirder than all the crossovers like when Batman and Robin came in?
This reminded me that I saw this recently.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Apparently Darian Morgan wrote an episode of Tower Prep. You may remember him from some of the best episodes of The X-Files including "Humbug" and "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

I'm not saying that his episode of Tower Prep is going to be good but yes I am saying that.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hey I won't hear your slander against Hole in the Wall and Tosh.O hosted by the kid in the PSP commericals.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Well Gumball isn't really funny but it's cute and the mixed media thing is kind of fun to watch.

I can tell already that his mom is going to be the best character.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just when they couldn't make the concept of Lola Bunny any worse, they turn her into a Kristen Wiig character :suicide:
I suppose the joke is that Lola is terrible and not funny at all which is some weird meta humor on Warner Brothers' part.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
For anyone mourning Chowder you should probably watch Gumball. It has sort of the same "feel" I guess. I mean there's only two episodes but the jokes have a pretty similar timing.

"I know what we need: a third best friend!"

"A third? Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Only if you make it weird. Would it be weird?"

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I didn't watch Sym-Bionic Titan because I could never remember what day it was on! I thought it was on friday but it was on with CN's stupid live action shows on like...thursday? At like 7:30? What a lovely timeslot.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
What is the market for a new Flintstones anything? The Flintstones was stupid and not funny when my parents watched it. It remains stupid and not funny. There's nothing the show can possibly say or do The Simpsons hasn't done better unless you really want to see a little bird in an iPod shaped rock say "it's a living."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I hate Johnny Test so much. Every single thing about it is bad. Zero redeeming qualities at all. And it's on ALL THE TIME. It seems like every time I leave CN on for longer than an hour Johnny Test is loving on.

New Gumball tonight though :3:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Early CG shows are best viewed though a thick, rosy, nostalgic fog. I loved coming home from school and watching Re-Boot on Toonami. I remember how excited I was when I first saw grown up Enzo and when Bob came back or how clever I thought I was when I recognized the Evil Dead and Road Warrior parodies. But honestly going back and re-watching the shows now would probably not be nearly as much fun.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I bet you get two or three full half hour Johnny Test cartoons for the price of one 15 minute Adventure Time. If Canada is just going to give away their lovely cartoons of course CN is going to take them.

An episode of Johnny Test came on the other day and I think it actually managed to be animated worse than usual. It was like Newgrounds flash cartoon bad. The show just gets worse and worse and cheaper and cheaper. Eventually all it's going to be is stick figures on line paper screaming over whipcracks and electric guitar riffs.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome makes me feel like I did watching the What a Cartoon Show back in in like 1997. I'm not really sure if that's good or bad.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Is Cartoon Network just throwing a whole bunch of cartoons out to see what sticks? Because this Squirrel show and Almost Naked Animals are really bad. Like, Camp Lazlo or My Gym Partner's a Monkey bad.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

readingatwork posted:

If you're talking about Regular Show I will cut you!
No Regular Show rules. I'm talking about this new batch of awful Y-TV canadian shitpiles Cartoon Network must buy in bulk.

Johnny Test is unwatchable but at least it only comprises one show. Every time a new Y-TV show pops up it brings us closer to the dark times when CN showed Total Drama Island re-runs for 8 hours a day.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Whatever happened to the live action episode of Flapjack? I remember seeing a picture of a kid dressed up in the outfit and then...nothing. Maybe I just imagined it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Ok this lego ninja cartoon is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm not so blinded by nostalgia as to pretend that all the cartoons I watched when I was little were great but this is just really, really stupid.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Samurai Jack is a lot more weird than I remember. If you look at any episode and try to summarize it you sound like an insane person.

Like, there's an episode where Jack has to cross an impossibly long bridge and right in the middle he runs into a giant Scotsman with a gun for a leg and they end up shackled together and team up to fight redneck pig bounty-hunters with a robot crocodile army in a swamp.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

FunkyAl posted:

Hey this show has aired its first episode and good news! It is really funny and good and cartoony and nice to look at.
I liked it just fine too. There are a lot of people who haaaaate it though.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
It's basically The Justice Friends from Dexter's Lab but with more obtuse references to a decade old cartoon based on a 30 year old comic.

I'll agree that the animation isn't really the strong suit here, but what separates it stuff like Johnny Test and Mad is that there is at least some understanding of how a "joke" might be formed and the voice actors actually know what they are doing instead of just screaming into the microphone.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Hey OMM if you had just ignored it, children wouldn't have watched it because it's a lovely cartoon and it would have quietly slipped away and not been anything other than a weird fetish footnote on the dark corners of the internet. But now you've made it a "thing" so you've managed increase it's viewership a thousand fold and insured that we have to hear about it for months. Great job, assholes.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Has Disney said anything about putting their old cartoons on netflix? I know they signed a deal for movies a while back but it just seems like dusting off Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, and whatever would make sense especially since Cartoon Network jumped on that bandwagon with their old cartoons.

I guess I don't understand the point of sitting on Gargoyles and Aladdin forever when all you have to do is send them to netflix and collect a check. You don't even have to market them or produce DVDs or anything.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Teen Titans Go had a Cats Don't Dance and Iron Giant shoutout in the last episode. I'm...uh...I'm not sure if this is reality anymore.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
If you had told me a few years ago that out of all the comic book cartoons being shown, including a Batman, Avengers, Spider Man, and Hulk cartoon, that the only one that was worth watching at all was the one where the teen titans were all re-imagined as psychotic assholes I probably would have laughed in your face.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

DivisionPost posted:

My understanding is that he lost a lot of his mojo after his son died.
That's part of it, maybe, but really a lot of the problems with his work seem to stem from basically plotting around whatever artists want to draw. Sometimes it works, like when Jim Lee or Tim Sale want to draw every Batman character or Art Adams wants to draw monsters and girls or Ed McGuinness wants to draw Hulk punching everything. The comics don't make any sense but for the most part they're at least fun to look at so they sell pretty well. What this leads to is that Loeb's name gets attached to a bunch of well selling comics and this gets mistaken for something he did, instead of something that happened in spite of him.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

readingatwork posted:

I was thinking more that if GO becomes super popular we could potentially get another "serious" Teen Titans series (or movie) out of it.
Did you see the Trouble in Tokyo movie? It kinda wraps things up or at least it does with Robin and Starfire.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I would like to posit that the best Ren and Stimpy episode is the one with Black Hole/Stimpy's Invention. They're both so weird but in their own way.

This post brought to you by me discovering amazon prime has some of the episodes on streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Thompsons posted:

Outside of the first run of Ren and Stimpy and the Plastic Man pilot, did John K EVER do anything else worthwhile?
He's done some comics that aren't bad but I suppose that's a slightly different thing. I flipped though the Spumco comic book and while it wasn't really funny it was pretty good cartooning.