Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Coatlicue posted:

Anybody else watching Kipo on Netflix?
I'm only on episode 4 but its AMAZING.
The animation the music the characters, evrything is so fresh and surprising and funny.

Yea we binged the whole show last night. It's got such good voice actors - and I was shocked to hear Joan loving Jett - and really good music/themeing.
I don't understand why Netflix isn't pushing it more, we just kinda accidentally stumbled on it.

And I really like the episode names being film/show references. Beyond the Valley of the Dogs and Twin Beaks and etc.

My only issue with the whole thing was when they visited her smashed bunker and it looked like it was only on the surface and really tiny, but it's not? It was proper strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The voice actors are great. Her dad is Sterling Brown, Dan Stevens is the villain and etc.

It also ends in a way that says there's definitely more but if that'll happen who loving knows because I can't imagine many people watching it. Barely has any engagement on IMDB too. It just feels like it costs so much money and they've just...left it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 17, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mystes posted:

It seems like for some reason it can take a week or two for new shows to start getting promoted, but I'm not sure if this is a bug in their recommendation algorithm or something they do intentionally to see how much organic interest there is in the show before they start promoting it or something.

I dunno - I never see any promotion for Dragon Prince or Hilda. (just as some other similar examples)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Mighty Max was good and cool. I loved looking at the toys and even bought one. It was a Demon skull with a snake tongue.

They were interesting toys but I guess I don't remember playing with them loads. It is really weird that nothing has ever been revived for it, maybe it's in a rights hell sorta place.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Kipo is extremely good and I need more immediately.

Also one of the writers is that guy who tweets he's seen a movie before it's out and gets quoted by loads of media outlets because he has a blue tick and they think it's real.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

We were watching Clarence on Netflix but it only has season 1.
Amazon seems to have other episodes but I just can't understand why they put it under "volumes" so it's impossible to tell how much of season 2 is there and where it starts/ends without tonnes of faffing about

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

They chopped up Steven Universe differently too, I think it's something about wanting to price batches of episodes the same when Cartoon Network is stuffing 50+ episodes into season 1 to get enough for syndication and then putting out smaller seasons afterward.

Yea I remember, I saw it on there first in fact.
It's dumb - it just makes it harder to follow. It was ordered badly on there even for no reason.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

She-Ra (the new one) has a really great theme tune and it's definitely part of why I like it so much.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Madurai posted:

Amity's already itching to do a heel/face turn, which will leave us a little light on antagonists until they get around to finishing all the sturm und drang around the Emperor's Coven.

It's even Mae Whitman and I doubt they'd cast someone so famous to be in it so...little? Especially considering the others aren't in many things.

And yea I'm enjoying it but at the same time it's a bit flat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm sad that Owl House hasn't got a song at the start. It really feels like it needs one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

:confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqE6KiijtH0

Edit: That's an unfortunate freeze frame for poor Luz.

Song. That's theme music.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Whiz Palace posted:

I like The Owl House, but not its theme music. The music kind of goes nowhere and ends in the wrong place.

Especially when you compare it to adventure time or she-ra and etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Well, as far as I am aware theme music is still a song, even without lyrics. But I understand what you're talking about now.

I don't know if it's a british/american thing here but I'd never say theme song if there's no singing. Or call anything a song with no singing, honestly.

Even wikipedia says it:

quote:

A song is a musical composition intended to be vocally performed by the human voice. This is often done at distinct and fixed pitches (melodies) using patterns of sound and silence. Songs contain various forms, such as those including the repetition and variation of sections.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

if a band has an instrumental on their album they're not going to say "we have 11 songs on this one, and one that's not a song"

No but they'll call it an instrumental like you just did!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Only completely insane people would think that "instrumental" and "song" are two different things.

Song is lyrics
Instrumental is just music

I dunno, that's....how anyone would see it and how the definition of it comes up too. Owl House has theme music, She-Ra has a theme song.

And I wish that Owl House had a song, because music is boring.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

But I can't really see that topic comming up in actual conversations. If you were having a nice chat with a friend about old movies and he told you that he really loves the Jurassic Park theme song, would you just agree and continue on, or woukd you kill the conversation by arguing that such a thing does not exists?

Honestly I've never once heard a person call something a song that hasn't got lyrics.
Jurassic park theme
Star wars theme

Etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

When people mention Beethoven, do you think they're referring to the soundtrack from the big dog movie

Yea people are always talking about "the songs of beethoven".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Youtube recommendations thought I'd be interested in Hungarian Folk Tales and you know what? I think I'm hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tXwFkowws Pinko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl4P-tc13lk Starving Matthias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYe1mYVN6w Only Donkeys Don't Eat the Spoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6poQuiAPs0 The Lazy Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWtIvPDFElU Cerceruska :psyduck:

Oh whoa that's amazing.
The english voice sounds so familiar but maybe he's just generic midlands

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

In other news this week's Owl House was really good. A few laugh out loud moments and I appreciated them not having Mae Whitman's character with the angry teens too so we can see she's different.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DoubleCakes posted:

I finally got around to the second season of Infinity Train and I enjoyed the story as well as how it expanded the world. The background score continues to be transcendent. The score is a microcosm of the show's cerebral atmosphere. Especially in the last couple episodes of this season, IT continues to be unrelenting in its weirdness.

Until now I've not heard of this and I really want to see it, sounds super interesting!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The last episode of Owl House was good but felt a bit....of a non ending? Hopefully they already have more stuff lined up.
At least now it makes sense that the Bat Queen was isabella rosselini!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Mid-season finale.

Oh right I forgot america does weird poo poo like that.

Madurai posted:

Eda's curse being Grim Serious Business is so tonally separated from everything else in the show I'm fascinated to see how they're going to reconcile it.

At least in this one they still made it funny alongside it being serious business.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Love to mindlessly reheat the same lovely transphobic tropes that Bugs Bunny has been serving up for literal decades.

I'm really not sure if it was transphobic. Sam was only mad that a rabbit got on the rollercoaster, not that the rabbit was really a man.
It did feel weird as a joke to see in 2020 though.

The very last bit I laughed at. But I definitely don't like bugs new voice actor. With a lot of replacement voice actors you can't tell but this bugs doesn't sound much like Mel honestly

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Season 2 of Kipo was spoiled a little by having a picture of her transformed as the photo on netflix. Dammit!
I did enjoy it a lot but I also feel like it feels a bit rushed? I wish series were as long as they used to be.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

It’d be nice if they didn’t immediately play trailers for what you hover over, too. I end up muting my sound system while I browse.

I have an old app on an older smart TV and it doesn't do that.
It's the one plus to not updating.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They've announced four more series of Dragon Prince, so it'll be up to 7.
I liked the show but series 3 was kinda rushed - it felt a bit like Babylon 5's fourth season where they're desperately cramming because they're certain they're going to be cancelled.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm curious to know what happened in that meeting to get them to change their mind? was season 3 an unexpected ratings monster or something?

Netflix looks for engagement. People making fanfiction, art, whatever.
Dragon Prince has it in spades.

Those people will always watch, always stay subscribed. Even if it's only representing say 2 million people worldwide that's still enough.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hilda's back in autumn according to twitter.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm finding it really hard to get the second half of Owl House in the UK, I thought it'd be on disney+ (or on Sky) but it doesn't seem to be.
What the hell, Disney?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The final season of Kipo was great.
I still feel like Netflix has done a really poo poo job of promoting it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The racial allegory of monsters was in there in every season, but it was always really muddled and confused between things that didn't fit the allegory and then it was confusing what didn't count as monsters just like it would later being a lot of confusion about what counts as magic.

I think the show had a whole lack of planning in general.

I just finished watching Star and I really enjoyed it the whole way through. I can see the last episode getting quite low marks but the only issues I have with the show is "the fritz" and the black stuff in the realm of magic.
Both of them seem to be brought up and forgotten about really quickly. I still don't really know why there was black stuff in the realm of magic.

Also, and this is end of show spoilers, why can ponyhead even still exist without magic? I don't necessarily mind the way it ended but I do feel like it needed more buildup as the final solution to the issues they were having.

I'm a sucker for a good romance though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing I don't think was adequately explained was that the 'magic' that gives the Butterflies their powers and originates from the golden goop dimension is apparently different from the 'magic' that allows various supernatural creatures to exist?

Yea, it's not a huge deal but I agree!
Like I get Globgor getting big is magic but his existance isn't. But can we still see Tom? I know it doesn't matter tonnes now but I was still curious.

As I said before though I loved the show, bit gutted it's done. I've seen She-ra, gravity falls, steven universe and adventure time and now I've moved on to this Amphibia show that IMDB says is similar but so far it's a lot more child like than the previous shows I guess?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Iirc the writers and/or creator said that some of the supernatural creatures basically have magic in their DNA that doesn't come from the same pool as the one that was destroyed so yeah, Tom can still come and go as it's basically a power his species has.

That seems reasonable. I think the show needed maybe one or two more seasons to properly deal with what was going on. And maybe do a full sendoff for Ludo since that doesn't really happen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

It does seem slightly less mature than most of the shows you listed (though I'd put it about on par with Gravity Falls). If you're looking for something more tonally similar to She-Ra and Steven Universe, I'd recommend Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, or Infinity Train.

I've seen both of those. I agree that they're similar, just that they're watched now.
I guess Gravity Falls did feel quite mature to me? Maybe it's because it's got so many weird Lynch references and there's not many kids who're clicking with that

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bake off spoilers
I'm so glad it was Carol who went. I honestly don't understand why she didn't go last week.
And it's really becoming very obvious that Janusz, Sandro and Maxy will get into the final provided they don't have a REALLY bad week full of mistakes. All three seem to have baking instagrams from before bake off too, which potentially means they got scouted out? That's totally fine but it does sorta drain the fun out of it? I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Wrong thread.

Oh yea! Oh well