Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

superkittenhugs posted:

Micky always felt very sanitized, but in the earlier cartoons as well as these recent ones it doesn't seem to have that tone.

In his first appearance he was vaguely trying to rape some girl which is why disney's official stance is "plane crazy? what's that!? you mean steamboat willy!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just don't understand that mindset.

I think that you could push yourself as something to put on IPhones, IPads, Droids, then yeah Pac Man makes sense there.

Upgrading the arcade version for bars could make sense too.

If NAMCO was smart they'd be focusing pretty heavily on those two avenues.

There is a lot of "vintage arcade licence? easy money" that goes around, it turns out that companies actually aren't just stupid, late 70s/early 80s videogames actually don't sell very well or make any money. All the legacy arcade companies have been trying for at least a decade to figure out a way to make money off owning the most important videogame licences in history and over and over come up with failure every time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Fowl posted:

Let's make a Pac-man platformer! Nevermind that even Nintendo rarely does 3d platformers anymore, I'm sure ours will be a bestseller.

I really honestly feel like they know it's dumb, Old arcade properties are a really weird thing a lot of companies struggle with. They are such big deals they don't want them to rot on a shelf but there is literally nothing worth doing with them.

Like, pacman has absolutely massive name recognition and was a cultural phenomenon, but there is almost literally nothing non stupid that could ever be done with him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think they are the first. My Gym Partner's A Monkey on Cartoon Network was rumored to have "gay tendencies" in season 1 from Jake, the money character, towards Adam, the human character. So, in season 2, it was changed so it wasn't perceived as such.

It was kind of weird though. Everyone constantly asked if Jake was gay and he WAS practically flirting with the human so (even going so far as to being jealous when Adam would go out on a date with a girl stating how he should always put him (Jake) first over a girl).

...That whole show was weird so this is kind of normal compared to the rest of the content. But, like I said, they toned it down considerably in a later season(s).

Disney's the first to actually admit they're lesbian and not hide it though.

There was an episode of that author spin off that buster went around to different families that had lesbian parents. It was banned from air in most markets and possibly never aired again even the places it aired. But it existed!

edit: In January 2005 Margaret Spellings, United States Secretary of Education, criticized the show for exploring same-sex marriage. Episode #33, "Sugartime!", which features Buster visiting Hinesburg, Vermont to learn about the production of maple sugar, includes Buster meeting several children who have lesbian parents. Vermont was one of the first states to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples. In the episode, the word lesbian or homosexual is never said, and the episode — like all Postcards episodes — has no sexual content. Buster meets the children and comments, "Boy, that's a lot of moms!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rirse posted:

The bad thing is, the UK Netflix DOES have Ducktales already.

Europe LOVES ducktales. The ducktales comic is to whole sections of europe what mickey mouse is in America. There is whole countries where if you say disney people will be all "oh, you mean the people that make ducktales?" as a first thought.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

readingatwork posted:

Does anybody else think that we're on the verge of seeing an openly gay main character on kid's TV? The public is ready for it and the the animators clearly want to do it. It's only the studio's collective fear of conservative backlash that's stopping things up. Once one of the big three (Disney, CN, Nick) sees that having the title of "first GLBT friendly kid's network" will make them look damned good in the long run they'll jump at the chance.

pepperanne was pretty close. Sort of on multiple fronts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

Really? I haven't seen much of that show. How so?

In both cases you can say 'well actually" where they show moose is really for real a girl and that Janie is married to a rarely appearing husband in certain episodes, but pepperannes aunt was a pretty much "hey we can't write this woman as a lesbian but she's a lesbian okay". And pepperanne's sister was drawn and voiced as a little boy and there was jokes about "ha ha isn't that funny, her gender is wrong!" but it was played fairly straight the majority of the time that it was perfectly fine that moose wanted to dress and act like a boy and have a boyish name.

Like 'officially' both were perfectly heterosexual ciswomen 100% and there is episodes they threw in to make for sure you knew that, but treated both things mostly as matter of fact, and only sometimes mixed in "haw haw queers" jokes about it, more often than not just letting it be.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

The show sounds pretty interesting. I might check it out more. What I did see was pretty good.

What's a "ciswoman"?

nah, don't watch it, it's so solidly crappy 90s disney cartoon, it's fairly unbareable. At best it's interesting the finale was set in the far distant future of 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfZlAZiTXE

cisgender is the opposite of transgender, it makes certain people super angry that there exists a word for that.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 28, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gaunab posted:

Is anyone else tired of Ben 10 and Johnny Test? Johnny Test has been on since the WB used to be a channel and I find most man of action shows have interesting concepts that are horribly executed with terrible characters.

I think everyone feels like that with literally no one dissenting to that opinion. At best some people liked the first season of ben 10. I don't think anyone likes either series.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

the culminator posted:

Am I crazy for thinking Teen Titans GO! is actually pretty good?

It feels like it's getting better, the first few episodes were really rough but every episode seems a little better than the previous one.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Glass of Milk posted:

There's a bunch of basement-dwelling trolls who hate it that post on IMDB because it replaced Young Justice and/or it's not identical to the old show.

Also because the first few episodes were between not very good and outright terrible. It wasn't till ghost boy, which is the 9th short in the series that I started to say "oh this show might be okay".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

readingatwork posted:

I really hope that Teen Titans GO can breathe new life into the franchise so we can get some proper resolution.

The only resolution GO will give you is that they all die. At the end of multiple episodes even.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm angry how clearly the regular show ending was written to be that they died then 15 billion years later would win the next fight by remembering instead of the glitch in time nonsense they did to return to the same battle.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

raditts posted:

How is that clear at all?

They made a big deal that when the fists meet like that time resets. Then the show reset back to the first episode. But instead of resetting the fight just went on for no real reason and they returned back to it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel weird about hilda. Stuff like the rat king and the giant are just above and beyond anything on any other show for character design, but there is something about the show that feels really PBS kids.

I think the last few years every single kids show that was really good was really good because it was good for adults. Like adventure time, gravity falls, steven universe, regular show, avatar were all good because they were good for any audience with kids and adults both being the target in some way, or the audience just being "people that like good shows". And this feels like a show that is good, but for kids. Like nothing about it feels BAD for adults to watch, and I can appreciate how great it as at the creature concepts but it just feels like a show about 10 year olds for 10 year olds that isn't for me the way like duck tales is written that anyone that likes good shows should be watching it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TV Zombie posted:

Sometimes cartoons are just for kids to enjoy.

Yeah, absolutely, nothing wrong with that, hilda seems more tilted towards that. It's just a rarity these days, with about the last decade going really heavy in all the top kids shows aiming to be very all ages. Like most shows decided the best way to make a kids show is make a show anyone would like and that would include kids by default. It's been a while since it seems like there has been a show like this where it both seems quite good and also seems like it's not for me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

People always said Captain Crunch cuts your mouth up, I'm convinced those people had weak babyman mouths.

I think captain crunch has gone through a couple revisions of being super hard and being regular cereal a few times over the years. It's corn and oat cereal and I think it's gone through cycles of being super soft corn puffs that looked at an oat once and hard little rocks maybe more than once. Like how honey nut cheerios may or may not contain honey or nuts depending on prices and whats selling.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

If you want to get the gist of the Infinity Train AMAs without having to wade through Reddit's horrible comment system, someone made a post summarizing all the questions answered (and not answered).

"Theoretically, the green numbers would smaller and smaller font as they went up, traveling around your whole body. If you had no space left, they would go into your mouth"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, that was also my first and only Internet forum for a few years. The game economy was a little messed up because you can get the most points by buying items from the NPC shops that are purposefully highly underpriced, putting at an advantage whoever spends the most time refreshing pages and having the fastest Internet connection, and there were ads in a lot of the games. It was all part of some Scientologist business plan for maximizing site "stickiness". The annual storylines with puzzles were fun, though.

In college I wrote a bunch of programs that would play all the games for some AI class (very few of them required any AI though, just like, precalculated path finding and stuff) and I always ran them to get the second highest score on the leaderboards. On the premise I'd get caught if I cheated to first place but neopets would never catch on if I was second place.

So if anyone reading was consistently third place on like that game where you had to move a stick or get "electrocuted" and can blame me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the actual main function of theme songs was that pre-internet and pre-streaming shows needed to be way more ready for people to jump into shows totally blind on like episode 78 (and could never assume anyone watched all the episodes or watched them in order) and required that someone sing a recap telling the premise of the show and highlighting the main characters every single week.

Like the TMNT theme song rocks, but also it's a way to make sure you know the premise of the show and exactly who everyone is for a show that couldn't reliably introduce characters and concepts by having people just watch a story in order. Every show used to be so serialized and needed every episode super self contained, so recapping the premise of the show every single time made sense for a song.

Modern shows that have songs just have it for fun or to be a nice song. They know if someone misses something they can watch it streaming or just check a wiki or something.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

A good theme song can also act as a nice little teaser to get you ready for the show and remind you of everything. Even a frame of reference that can be used to set the tone of the show and change elements when something special is going on. Maybe just an excuse to have a music video.

I never understood why DVDs included the opening for every single episode, even when you were watching all of them in sequence. Netflix finally got things right by letting you skip the opening when you're binging.

Anime can go overboard by doing an elaborate opening, ending, and then a preview of the next episode. I remember Toonami leaving out the opening credits half the time though. It's all weird.

Do many people watch many shows that really require reminders of basic premise information? It really feels like a bygone artifact from a way tv used to be. When every episode was fully self contained and might be able to assume you were watching an episode many seasons deep with no concept of what the show was.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The hair has healing powers if laid on something hurt. Maybe each hair is simply healing the neighboring hairs as damage occurs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fun Times! posted:

Friend of mine recommended Centaurworld on Netflix, said it hit feelings like Adventure Time. I watched the first episode and thought the characters were annoying as gently caress, which seems to be the point. Does this show get better? Seems like "lol random" humor which doesn't really do it for me.

It gets very meta about it, where everything being annoying and stupid is a major focus of the apparent larger plot. Like it'll eventually culminate in some message like 'excessive whimsy is infantilizing and forced happiness can't solve every problem but neither can total grim seriousness" where you are supposed to see the flaw in both sides. So it's a "it's bad on purpose" show. (which can still mean it's bad)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pyroi posted:

I believe it's the minimum they needed for syndication.

There is different “magic numbers” for syndication where if you pass one it’s worthless to make another episode unless you plan to pass the next magic number.

Like if you made 52 episodes of something you could sell it as a once a week for a year package, but if you made 55 episodes that’s nothing and no one will buy it unless it’s so big it could have a special schedule. But if you think you can get to the next syndication package number you should do that. So every time you pass a common syndication package number you are stuck in no mans land until you hit the next one. And it was something like 65 episodes works out to some schedule that is popular then 100 is the next one so it’s a huge gulf where if the show isn’t full steam ahead to make several more seasons that is the place you kill it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Pibby is good, well made creepy pasta, the absolute last thing anyone should do to creepy pasta is try to extend it. Pibby works so well because it's a bunch of 3 second flashes of the most pivotal scenes in a story your mind can fill the blanks in for, it seems like it would be nothing but lame stretched out.

George Jetson with a weird glitched out face and slow sad music playing is a cool spooky thing to catch a glimpse of, it would lose impact really fast if they made more than like 5 minutes of this. Pibby is good as what it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's being pitched as a series, not a short, as far as i can tell. and i think the core concept can really work, especially because all the creepypasta crossover poo poo is more set dressing than it is the core concept of the character's journey.

...buuuuut everyone's going to fixate on that part of it, so

Like the core concept can work because then it'd just be cartoon network kingdom hearts.