Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This thread and the TTG thread got me to watch Gumball, which I had mentally discarded for no particular reason. Still not finished, and I been watching some newer episodes randomly to get a feel for where the show is now as opposed to at launch, but what an enjoyable show with some really unexpected references.

Edit: Based on a suggestion I watched the episode called The Shell and holey moley that was really good.

Second Edit: How is the show doing, anyway? It slipped completely under my radar which hopefully means I'm just out of it and not that it's unpopular, because it looks like a good show (and I've been enjoying the more recent episodes that I've seen even more than the earlier episodes)

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Applewhite posted:

The Limit is my favorite episode, The Job is a close second. Both are very excellent.
The Colossus is another great ep with some really top notch animation.

I'll be sure to check both of those out, thanks. Even though it's a very different show, it's funny how the episode naming convention reminds me of Seinfeld.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Megaspel posted:

I've been binging The Amazing World of Gumball and it's crazy how it isn't as well known as some of the cartoons on these forums. They approach a lot of philosophical concepts and other really cool concepts that you don't see in much of anything else, all while being hilarious. I think I might make a thread about it after I finish watching the fourth season or something, any suggestions for that?

Maybe post a few particularly good episodes to watch, since there seems to be way less of a focus on continuity than SU are AT. I still haven't watched them all myself but like I said before, I thought the Shell was really good. Also, any episode focusing on Nicole.

I do agree it's good enough to merit it's own thread for the sake of exposure, though I don't know if there'd be much to actually talk about.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

just watched both parts of Gumball's The Origin and i swear i'm not tearing up what is this stop

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

oh my god david warner suddenly appeared on gumball

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Animaniacs fukken owns

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I agree, we need even more TTG episodes.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Every time I think about checking out a Scooby Doo reboot, I realize I would have to sit through a show that has Scooby Doo the character in it and lose interest.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What the fresh gently caress?!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The only words to describe that are "Gatdamn bonkers."

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm still reeling.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The Gumball episode The Sweaters feels like a mashup of that one South Park skiing episode and an episode of Aqua Teens. :sbahj:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also a sprinkling of Speed Racer.

You're right.

Also, I loved everything about The Finale except the way it concluded, although I suppose that's fitting. Still, I'm glad the episode naming scheme paid off.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

achillesforever6 posted:

The first couple 90s early 2000s Scooby Doo films are pretty decent, Zombie Island loving scarred me as a kid :stonk:

Yeah I'll admit the ending of Zombie Island with the voodoo dolls and the witches' coven actually was scary, which is kind of amazing for Scooby Doo.

Also, that movie was great because the promotional announcement that "THIS TIME THE MONSTERS ARE REAL" was something that was so goofy that my dad and I bonded over laughing at it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

So now that I'm all caught up, is there any rhyme or reason as to when new Gumball episodes air, or is it like other CN shows where they just kind of appear without warning or fanfare every few months and there is no schedule?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Applewhite posted:

The second thing.

Drat, but figures.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Cartoon Network is going to be rebranding their Thursday premiere block this month and new episodes of Gumball are a part of that.

Woo!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

How was UG doing ratingswise? Actually, how is success and profitability for these shows even measured? Or is this info all internal and noone outside of CN really knows it anyways?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

That episode had Powerpuff Girls twerking. What a strange time we live in.

It was a good episode aside from that and it makes me have confidence in the new series overall, but JESUS CHRIST. I feel like that crossed a line I was not prepared for.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno, without the context of the full scene, it probably ranks up with the crap the og series pulled (stuff like "My Dad says I was an accident" and all of 'Him's screentime).

Yeah I suppose it's not any worse than all the jokes about MASCUMAX's MANHOOD in the old series, objectively speaking. But it's hard to be objective, and speaking subjectively, I was totally weirded out. :stare:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I haven't seen him yet, but I have seen Mitch (in a preview of an unaired episode), Ms. Keane, and, funnily enough, the Accident girl whose name i forget.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Megaspel posted:

The latter, but I think every episode in this season has been leaked in HD anyway.

I know the episode TITLES were leaked, but I didn't know the episodes themselves were. Is this you're sure of?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

raditts posted:

So I finally caught an episode of new Powerpuff Girls today.

...It was bad, man, real bad. I went into it with as open a mind as possible, too. Even my kids refuse to watch any more of it.

Which one was it, out of curiosity? I really liked the Hangover parody one and thought the monster island one was decent, but I just watched the unicorn and new power one and they were both awful.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Last night's episode was decent, about the quality of a forgettable original series episode. You know, the ones you barely remember, like the broccoli one

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PicklePants posted:

I'm hoping the writing team figures out what they're doing with PPG. It does seem to lack excitement to it, like it's going through the motions.

Every now and again, there's a cool little.. small thing. Like Bubbles refusing bedtime with anger and skull eyes, or Princess using an uber-like app to summon monsters attacks.

The unicorn episode was.. pretty weird, and confused.

People complain about the first few episodes of SU and Adventure Time. It takes a while for the writers to see what's showing up, and kind of course correct, or find their groove. Hell, even the first few episodes of Venture Bros (as well as the pilot) seem kind of off.

So far, it's not a Johnny Test low bar, but it's not anything more than, "A show that is on."

Yeah, it feels like the writers could still find their place, but it's not guaranteed by a long shot. "A show that is on." is the perfect way to put it.

It is weird that people are playing telephone with it, though. Endorses bullfighting, what? :psyduck:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I really, REALLY like the long version of the opening, but I think the short TV-version is just whatever.

I thought the episode that aired last night where they become really old was pretty good. So far the good episodes have been the ones with Mojo in them.

Edit: On the other hand, I just watched today's episode, and while it was otherwise good, god loving dammit.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 16, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus Christ, that Gumball episode ended on an existential nightmare.

The Signal? Such a good episode.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

This week's Gumball was pretty much like 25% Last of Us references.

Which episode aired this week?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

I think it was called The Parasite

Ah, thanks.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gumball DOES fuckin' own, brother.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This week's Gumball was really good, as usual.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PhazonLink posted:

Wait. The new PPG cartoons has lessons? Every episode even? Even that horse cartoon stopped having "obvious" lessons with an actually end of the episode summary after a while.

It does, and it really, really drags down the show.

If there have to be lessons they should follow the TTG model and be practical and useful lesssons. :colbert:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

I missed this, what was it?

Also the Sussie dream in the latest episode was amazing, though honestly it mostly amazing

That whole episode was fantastic, but you'r right in that the Sussie bit takes the cake. How on earth does Gumball not have its own thread?!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This week's episode of Gumball felt like kid-friendly Curb. It was great, but difficult to watch the final scene.

Penny's reactions to Gumball were really cute, though.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

thelaughingman posted:

Gumball has been renewed for a sixth season.
edit:
The info:
http://www.toonzone.net/amazing-world-gumball-renewed-sixth-season/

gently caress Yes. gently caress YES

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That duck tales art style is on point

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, there's no real premise.

There's quite a few Seinfeld homages with all of the episode titles being "The _____" and having a (season) finale episode called The Finale which is heavily inspired by Seinfeld's, so, uh, it's about nothing, I guess?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Today's episode marked the second yaranaika reference on Gumball.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

Man, tonight's Gumball was fan-friggin-tastic. This show just keeps getting better.

Does it start en media res? Because the latest episode on CN's official site looks like it's the latter half of a two-parter.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

No, it was definitely the second half of a two parter. The CN site only uploaded part two, I had to go to shady internet websites to find part 1. How annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Waffleman_ posted:

On Gumball:

https://twitter.com/benbocquelet/status/773245676809490437

THIS IS A HELL OF A BOMBSHELL TO DROP SO SUDDENLY, BEN

AW, WHAT THE gently caress :(