Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pretty much my favorite thing about the AT thread is the dude who posts his childrens' reactions to episodes. Almost invariably, any episode his kids love, the thread hates, and any episode his kids hate the thread spends 40 pages discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nah, season 2 flatout started off lovely, hit its peak in terms of quality with the origin two-parter, then slid back into fairly mediocre.

Really, just watch that two parter. It's the best two episodes from both seasons 1 and 2 of Korra. I don't think anything else is worth your time, and there's likely better stuff you could spend that time watching.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Young Justice was fine amidst its flaws. The thing about CN just utterly loving with it in the schedule often gets overlooked when discussing it, because you'd seriously get a couple of episodes and then suddenly the whole DC block is gone for months. And obviously that kind of poo poo is going to have an impact on perception.

The other part is that some folks get really really mad that in a comic book show, comic book villains are not defeated forever and have other stuff to fall back on once their immediate plans are thwarted so that they can actually have a continued presence.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think it has anything to do with not admitting any flaw in the show, while having everything to do with CN having a large track record of just doing really dumb, stupid poo poo - to the point where people have absolutely no problems believing that the girls thing really did play a large part because it meshes 100% with the network's history.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Has there been any reveal as to why LOK ended up half good half bad throughout the years? Some people blame Nick while others say the creators also didn't press all the right buttons the whole time.

I really wanted LOK to be the next ATLA but it was a mixed bag the more I watch it.

Other folks have said some good stuff, but I generally attribute it to the much larger writing team they had for ATLA. When Korra started, it was just the two show creators, and then they added in a couple more for the next few seasons. So while TLA was this big collaborative thing made with the involvement of a multitude of talented people, Korra...wasn't. And it showed. Especially when the creators shoved in stuff that they personally like that is just awful (pro-bending, playing to shippers). There was just no one in that writing room to go "hey, this sucks and makes for bad pacing, we should do some trimming." So the show felt like they were trying to condense 20-ish episodes into 12, instead of just writing for the 12.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thundercats' biggest problem was that it had a pretty drat good pilot, then a pretty good ending arc, but had absolutely nothing of quality holding the two ends together.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CRINDY posted:

I was going to try to give you a list of where and where not to look but, looking at the episode list, I've actually only seen one episode since June. I loved RS for a long time but between the strange fascination with Muscle Man, one of the worst characters in modern animation (:smugbert:) ,and the complete lack of Mordecai character development, complete with dropping the good love interest for the lovely one, I kinda gave up on it.

My advice is to read episode descriptions and skip any Muscle Man or Mordecai relationship episodes. There have been some slam-dunk grepisodes in the last year, though - Format Wars II, Party Horse, the latest Baby Duck Anime Special and Death Kwon Do episodes and Cat Videos were all very entertaining for me. Oh, and Gamers Never Say Die is the RS Goonies remake, it owned hard.

The last time I watched, Mordecai was dating CJ and the show was better for it. Did they seriously dump her and focus on Margaret again?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah when I mentioned that syndrome, rs was part of it, where there's multiple episodes dealing with the loser protagonist not asking out the girl and being a creepy poo poo instead. Only usually it's a kid and not a grown blue bird. IDGI, these shows are written by grown men who should surely know better than to act like you marry the first person you ever meet.

They're grown men who are also huge, huge nerds.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that they have weird relationship ideas, and the Margaret stuff in RS has always felt like Quintel and/or some other person with the show projecting their own hangups and perceived personal experiences.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 5, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Saul grew on me, but Eagleheart is pretty much the pinnacle of their live-action stuff.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Naruto was honestly really spiteful toward female characters in a really weird but very consistent way throughout the majority of its run. If a character was a woman they largely weren't ever going to accomplish poo poo and would generally look like a joke. I think Temari was the only one who ever had a decent showing, and this was both fairly early and was largely connected to her wrecking another woman.

I feel like Kishimoto has Some Issues.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FMA's female cast was usually pretty good but it's also written by a woman so lol what a shock.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's strange to me that folks don't understand why goons love a show that is largely mean-spirited and cynical.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shitenshi posted:

You haven't discussed it at all, all you've done is taken the poo poo out of it and dismissed other people's defenses of it. It's fine if you don't like the drat thing, but when you say there's good reason for it to be hated outside of nostalgia for the original show, a little bit of clarification and willingness to engage with other people goes a long way.

Like I'd at least expect some mention of the show being 90% Yelling.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what little I remember of the 2011 series, I think the characters ended up not being that interesting to follow? The thing that I remember the most is that when they had the reveal that their fantasy world of animal folk had the origin of being some kind of crashed alien prison ship, I was a little angry at the show for pissing around doing nothing for so long when they were sitting on that gem.

But I guess when you're trying to do a straightforward dramatic show nowadays, there's the urge to play it slow and steady with your insane worldbuilding, as opposed to the 80s when they played fast and loose and basically just threw whatever insane stupid poo poo they had off the top of their heads into the mix.

2011's problem was it it essentially waited until literally it's last episode before cancellation to actually do anything remotely interesting while, as you said, pissing around doing nothing with monster of the week episodes for the vast majority of its runtime.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Reminds me of Foster's and Bloo

Christ this is depressingly accurate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Can't wait to find out what The Algorithm produces, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If nothing else, Samurai Jack season 5 at least gave us the Samurai Jack Season 5 trailer