Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm curious to see what the writing will be like. Will the show stay G rated? Can a primetime animation even survive without edgy "adult" humor?

I guess they could make it like The Simpsons where there is enough adult humor to not be considered a kid's show but still tame enough to be family programming.

I just can't imagine a Seth Macfarlane show that doesn't rely on shock humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

My Little Pony is a heartwarming show for children.

Did she actually kill that bear, or did she just knock it out?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Steven Universe looks too good to exist. I'm excited and fearful for it at the same time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

thelaughingman posted:

I enjoyed the PPG special for reasons I really can't explain. It was bright enough to enduce a seizure though.

The animation was a lot cooler looking than I expected, but I definitely appreciate the current trend of giving cartoon characters normal non-annoying voices. I might re-watch it on mute.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Pat Mchale, the creator of Over the Garden Wall, was a writer, storyboard artist, and creative director for the first two seasons of Adventure Time, so count me as excited!

Yeah, that looks extremely promising. I wonder how long the episodes are going to be.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Tartarus Sauce posted:

But, on the flip side, when I watch old Looney Tunes and episodes of Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, Eek the Cat, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain, it does strike me that there are certain, more politically incorrect or satirical jokes that you'd be harder-pressed to get away with today on a kids' show. Or is it just me, and my cartoon tastes?

I previously thought that cartoons were less violent and morbid now, but you guys have made a pretty compelling argument to the contrary! It may just be that the flavor of the violence and the slapstick has changed.

I was rather surprised by the nipple joke in the manotaur episode of Gravity Falls. :)

Children's cartoons have always gotten away with adult humor, I think people just don't realize it because they didn't get the jokes when they were kids.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I love Over the Garden Wall. I have no idea how CN is measuring its success, but I hope it exceeds expectations and we get more stuff like this.

My only complaint is that sometimes it's a little hard to tell what's going on because things that seem important are mumbled or sung unclearly.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Online or actually on TV?

Cartoon Hangover YouTube channel. I think it goes public in 20 minutes?

The first two episodes are out for Kickstarter backers now, and they are really good :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think western animation is extremely narrow and demographically limited. 99% of it is garbage for children, with a handful of (very recent) gems that are still for children but also appeal to an older audience. Then there's adult animation, which is extremely formulaic and narrow and also usually has cheap low-effort animation, almost like it's only animated ironically.

There's probably more good anime than good western animation just because there's so much more anime created every year. There's also a lot more garbage anime for the same reason.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Over the Garden Wall is amazing. Cartoon Network is really pushing western animation further than anyone else these days.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

No one really cares anymore because it's not anything special, because tv has been contantly going "hey look gays, how a bout those gays" for at least 8 years now.

Not in children's television. I think I even read a quote somewhere about some show (Adventure Time?) that they weren't allowed to do it because it would actually be illegal in some of the countries the show airs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have no idea what Uganda and Russia have to do with what you just said.

Those are countries where it would be illegal. But actually Australia censors episodes all the time so it probably isn't an issue.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Why in god's name did CN choose Christmas of all times to bring back Johnny Test? Or choose to make the entire 25th nothing but the worst modern cartoon from Canada?

To encourage children to turn off the TV and spend time with their families :unsmith:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PicklePants posted:

Season 2 Blew, undoubtedly.

The next two seasons really made up for the crappy season 2 (With the exception of the Avatar Wan stuff. That stuff was awesome.)

They lost me with season 2, but I'm excited to hear that the show gets good again. Now I want to marathon the whole thing. I'm sure season 2 won't be so bad when I'm not waiting a week between episodes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I thought it was okay. There were good jokes in between the "wacky" jokes that tried too hard. I Liked the unicorn head's passive-aggressiveness and when the skeleton in the spike pit came to life and joined in mocking the kid.

Was caught off-guard by "your mother's a horse," but I laughed when the unicorn girl was like "yeah, and?"

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw a few clips of Niko and the Sword of Light, and I can't really get into it. Not a fan of the art style and it comes off as this very weird hybrid between flash and traditional animation. The comparisons to Avatar seem a little too on the nose. The designs on the lead characters head is very similar to Aang's.

Also, holy gently caress, Jim Cummings is in this? I haven't heard the guy appear in any show in years. Thought he retired or something.

I watched the pilot and I didn't really like it. Everything about it felt derivative of the movies I never liked as a kid. I can't stand those kinds of talking animal characters.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The '90s were clearly the true golden age

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Does this mean they might start posting every season instead of just the first two? On Hulu, I mean. Seems like they're letting money walk out the door with how many people stream Adventure Time on those anime websites.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 24, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The CN execs have openly stated that they view Netflix as nothing but a way of advertising for the shows so people will be more likely to buy the DVDs or watch them as they air, which is why they only put a sampling of each show.

But on the other hand they've started putting full episodes of shows on their website after they air so maybe they're learning.

I think that requires a cable log-in, though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I could see them putting stuff like Regular Show and Adventure Time on Hulu to squeeze some advertising money out of the older Tumblr-type fans who are streaming those shows illegally. Maybe even just post the latest seasons, or the five most recent episodes, to protect the Amazon/iTunes season pass business.

Uncle Grandpa doesn't really draw that audience so they can leave it on Netflix to make kids familiar with the show and hopefully boost re-run ratings.

Edit: Netflix is suddenly giving me access to 3 seasons of Chowder instead of just season 2, but the thumbnail also says "NYE EPISODER" even though I'm in the US??

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 25, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Fun police on the patrol

Also, the new animation renaissance started with Adventure Time hth

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 29, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

There was a change in tone that I think started with Flapjack where shows felt more creator-driven. Hiring indie comic artists to be both storyboard artists and writers definitely helped, too.

I guess you don't have to call it a renaissance but Flapjack and Adventure Time were obviously influential and launched a bunch of careers. There's gotta be a word for that.

In my opinion, the has been a huge jump in Quality. The only older-show that can compare to the modern ones is Avatar.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like you guys are forgetting that Teen Titans Go! Is CN's top rated program.....

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Some of my favorite comedy shows involve assholes as the main character(s)- Archer, Bojack Horseman, and Difficult People come to mind. But those shows all do a good job of reminding us that they're not good people and we shouldn't emulate them- as opposed to shows like Girls, where the main characters are horrible but we're supposed to tolerate them because Lena Dunham said so.

I love 'Girls' and I feel like it does a better job of "THESE CHARACTERS ARE FLAWED PEOPLE" than the other shows you mentioned. Archer basically glorifies assholeishness. I don't know how to explain this but it does that thing lots of fiction does where character flaws are portrayed in exactly the right way so that they are NEVER off-putting. Everything Archer says is the kind of thing normal people say when they're joking with friends. In the context of the show Archer is not joking, but it still reads to the audience as hilarious and relatable because that's how they talk to their friends. It's never uncomfortable or off-putting.

That's what I love about 'Girls' though. It's still exaggerated for comedy, but the character flaws are extremely realistic and three dimensional. The show lets character flaws create uncomfortable and off-putting moments because that's how it is in real life. It's not idealized.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 1, 2015

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sonic Boom shouldn't be CG. The stiff/slow animation is super awkward and just contributes to the weird low-energy feel of the show. Or at the very least, they could stop trying to be "smooth" with it cut out some transition frames so that characters sort of "snap" from pose to pose. Anything to give it more energy.

It's obviously supposed to be TTG with Sonic characters (and a similarly low budget) so why not go whole-(hedge)hog and copy the cheap Toon Boom animation style.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Nicktoon Avengers is a horrible idea and I can't wait.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

It's a horrible shame they don't make movies with animation like that re: Lion King clip

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

That art style is so off-putting. There must be one overly-aggressive suit at Cartoon Network in charge of these reboots who thinks everything would be profitable if it were just a copy of Family Guy.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure it's 100% because of merchandise. I see people with Scooby stuff all the time. It's one of those brands that has a lot of pull for parents who don't actually watch the new shows but remember it from their youth and buy their kids shirts, etc. ESPECIALLY dog lovers. The people who constantly post Facebook statuses about how people should stop being prejudiced against pitbulls.

I feel the same way about Mickey Mouse, though. Every kid knows who he is but has probably never watched anything with him in in it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The thing is that this time around, all the cartoons using the hideous Seth Mcfarlane style are actually created by Seth Mcfarlane

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

apparently they also ripped off the godawful dancing

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

If the thread isn't re-opened soon it's going to destroy this one. Look, it's already starting.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

The strange thing is that they only started doing this last summer. Before then, Thursday was the dedicated day for new episodes of their best/most popular shows, which meant minimal waiting unless they had already ended the season. I'm not exactly sure why they went for the current format. Does it give the creators more time to make new episodes?

The first Steven Bomb didn't get amazing ratings but it caused the fanbase to explode. They seem to think they can just do that for all of their shows and have the same thing happen. They're ignoring though that SU is tailor-made for the Tumblr audience and that first Steven Bomb was timed with an awesome and eventful season finale that had been building up for a while.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

The episodes are 11 minutes and it's not a comedy.
I have written it off for that alone but I'm kind of glad a DC animated show that isn't new 52 based exists and hope kids will like it, maybe someone will watch it and grow up to write GOOD comics.

Yeah I dunno, I remember them saying Sonic Boom was also going to be an 11 minute action series and it ended up being Teen Titans Go.

It's probably going to be TTG.

Edit: That clip in the article is not from the new show. The art doesn't match with the poster, and it's 4:3. It looks really old.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 30, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Edit: Oh, it's not a show lol

:(

Excited to download the game, though.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 5, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I clicked on this while on my iPad to see if you linked to a specific time and now even after I flicked away the audio won't stop playing.

H E L P

Sounds like you're a google music subscriber???? Or just lucky I guess.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The thick black outlines worked in SD but I think this is the proper direction for an HD series. In HD they'd make it look like a clunky Flash cartoon.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

What

Not if they don't move like a flash cartoon.

It worked perfectly fine in the PPG movie

It's just that thick outlines are a common way for amateur artists to hide poor line art, so I associate them with bad flash cartoons I guess.

But I dunno, I feel like this looks more modern. Thinner outlines help them to match better with more detailed backgrounds.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I don't like new Buttercup's voice. I guess that's my only opinion.

Yeah that was weird to me. Im not used to cartoon characters getting new voices that don't try to mimic the original as closely as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I hope the show at least stays comedic and episodic, not everything has to be serialized and have a mythology built into it these days.

i am a garbage human monster who thinks that stuff is fun and cool but i am like 99.9% sure you're gonna get your wish