Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

TigerMoJo posted:

I watched an episode of the most retarded cartoon the other day. I think it was on Disney but I'm not 100% and I can't remember what it was called. It was Asian themed and I think had something to do with humans vs. animals. The characters were mostly strange things that didn't look like either. There was this gigantic helmet machine that looked like a Nazi thing. I know this is the worst description ever but if anyone has a clue please let me know.

Hero 120 (or whatever the number is)? God, it's awful. I think everyone willingly involved with that show needs to be locked in an elevator and forced to watch just one episode, while all suffering hangovers, just so they can understand exactly what they've created.

If only they'd cancel that show, Johnny Test, and Garfield, I'd be a happy camper--oh, and while they're at it, those two Flash-animated teenager shows, too.

(Actually, at this point, I hate pretty much all Flash cartoons--or at least, those which were obviously done in Flash. You know the kind. The only well-animated one I can think of seems to be Kick Buttowski.)

Oh, and I adore Phineas and Ferb, but as someone who's never really gotten into the Fairly Odd Parents and Powerpuff Girls largely because of the animation style, I can understand being leery about a show because you're not keen on its aesthetic.

thelaughingman posted:

So, what's the consensus on Fanboy and Chumchum?

That a prescription of Ritalin would do them a lot of good.

Oh, and speaking of ugly character designs:

Sockser posted:

Interesting premise, too, and they kill it with ugly dragons and ebonics.

Aces High posted:

And yes, Stoked, 6teen, and all Total Drama Whatever are from Fresh TV (which I guess is Canadian)

As is Monster Buster Club, which is worse than all of those put together, and then some.

Oh, and you guys changed the title of Beast Wars to Beasties, and you got your panties in a twist over the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles and Michelangelo's nunchuks.

I love you, Canada, but sometimes, you make it very, very hard. :(

Sockser posted:

Spectacular Spider-man is absolutely amazing and I thought the third season was in the works.

I loved every episode. It did a great job with everything that all the other series/movies never really played up. The different love interests, being a real person in addition to spider-man, villains doing villainous things instead of over-the-top bullshit etc

That show actually made me really like Spiderman, after the early 90's cartoon had made me hate him, because there, he was cast as a whiny, neurotic little martyr, like Jesus crossed (ha) with Woody Allen.

But, apparently, everything I love has to die. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Rabbit Hill posted:

So...Penguins of Madagascar...does anybody here watch this? I think it's adorable and the comic timing of the editing/animation is really sharp. I'm not ashamed to say I TiVo this so I can watch it at the end of the day.

Rico :3::3::3:

I wish they could refine the animation enough to give the furry animals real fur, but otherwise, I think it's delightful. I loved the episode about the time machine.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's going to be a live-action Fairly Oddparents movie, with Drake Bell playing a Timmy Turner who is in his mid-20s but refuses to move beyond the 5th grade because his fairy godparents can just give him everything he wants.

Yay! Sounds absolutely pedotastic.

What is the obsession with making things live-action?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
On a completely different note, why are almost all E/I programs so condescendingly sugary-sweet, they make your teeth hurt? Is the government worried that children won't learn if they're having too much fun? Some of these shows are so bad, I don't think I'd even let my hypothetical children watch them.

If the cartoon world were a playground, even Yug-i-oh and Johnny Test would be in the long line for administering swirlies to CBS' whole Saturday morning lineup.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

I fail to see what, if any, educational value can be found in, say, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, unless it's teaching children how not to write a sitcom, in which case ABC is doing a great public service.

Ha, snap.

But, while they seem to get away with doing that, I don't think they'd ever get away with trying to claim E/I status for Batman: The Animated Series or Animaniacs, even though I found them to be extremely educational on a number of levels, back in the day.

Any lesson about not being a total dickhole, or about learning to say "Look at the pretty narwhal" in conversational Norwegian apparently needs to be spelled out in enormous, flashing neon letters--and without any snark or violence, to boot.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Aces High posted:

I mean, the animation changes from special to special and they are either really weird (The Lost Star just makes no loving sense outside of "introducing" Broo")

Laziest exploration of the theory of the Multiverse, ever.

You'd have to take a poll, but I'm not even sure that whole premise made sense to children. TMNT always taught me that you'd need a dimensional portal or a time machine to make contact with your doppelganger or evil twin, while Looney Tunes and Alf made it clear that alien planets were home to alien beings. DUH, Nelvana!

While I tuned in now and then, I was never really into The Raccoons, I admit. Too wholesome and nice.

(This is off topic, but I just thought of how I never cared for David the Gnome as a kid, but I like it much better, now that I'm an adult.)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 2, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Y-Hat posted:

For what it's worth, Justin Timberlake does a dead-on Boo-Boo.

I know! Colour me shocked. I mean, who would've thought to cast him in the first place?

quote:

Cathy seems more like Lifetime original series fodder.

I'm thinking Kathy Bates or Camryn Manheim in the title role.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

IRQ posted:

Rosie O'Donnell, book it.

Oop, good call, you win.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I wouldn't mind a good Pearls Before Swine movie--and, I'd actually prefer it to be 2D. A Bloom County movie might potentially be good, too.

But, chances are they'll bring Beetle Bailey and Archie to the big screen first :(.

Or, they'll do a Peanuts movie, but it will involve Snoopy and Woodstock moving to the big city and dancing to hip hop on Snoopy's iPaw.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

and when they do there's usually a shift in production (like Batman:TAS and Dexter's Lab coming back with completely different teams and art styles and being inferior in every way to the original).

Like Gargoyles. The contrast between the final season and the rest of the series is as stark as the difference between poo poo and strawberry sherbet.

Are children passionately in love with Johnny Test, anyway, the way other people (mostly adults, admittedly) are in love with Chowder, Flapjack, and Adventure Time? Or are its young fans just as happy when they're off licking batteries? Does Johnny Test really garner the kinds of ratings that justify bringing it back again and again, or is it just easier to produce and reproduce?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think it just keeps being made because of CanCon (Canadian broadcasting standards stipulate that certain percentage of their television station's content must have Canadian content) so Cartoon Network just snaps it up on the cheap to pad out their lineup since it's just going to keep being made no matter what. Same with Total Drama ______ and all the other Canadian shows.

OOOH, and that explains Monster Buster Club, which makes Johnny Test look like Masterpiece Theatre.

It's odd, because I used to mock some Canadian cartoons for being too soft, and not edgy enough, and the problem with the current stock of Canadian cartoons seems to be they don't know when to STOP being edgy and loud.

Seriously, Ed, Edd, n Eddy went from charming to headache-inducing just-like-that.

So, Canadians just need to learn to make good shows, eh? Maybe the writers of the Red Green Show, or Kids in the Hall, or the Mr. Hell Show need to team up with Nelvana and do... something?

Wait, isn't Fred's Head Canadian? That's not a bad show, why don't they air that? Why don't they air reruns of Reboot, or Rupert, or Redwall? Anything! Anything but more (yawn) Kid versus Kat!

(Speaking of Heads, TVTropes recently brought back vague some memories of a steaming pile from back in the day called Out of Jimmy's Head. Wow, that show was so stupid, it defied comprehension. Odd thing is, a lot of the writers and creators had worked on other perfectly respectable shows. How does THAT happen?)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 2, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Behonkiss posted:

Funny, I thought the early episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy were pretty awful, and didn't get into the show until it had been going for a while. It really found its legs, though.

Granted, I haven't seen a full episode in about a year or so, and I don't know the proper order of the episodes. I just remember enjoying the Cartoon Cartoon! short where they build a cardboard city, but tuning in a few years later to find that I just couldn't stand Eddy's yelling for very long. Otherwise, the show has some fun characters and interesting plots.

quote:

I agree that airing Reboot again would be neat, but that Redwall cartoon pissed me off as a kid- I was a big fan of the books and so many things were toned down or changed for the worse.

Ehh, so they should air The Animals of Farthing Wood to balance it all out ;).

And, I never read a Redwall book until I was an adult--and by then, it was definitely too late to get into it. All I know is that the Redwall TV series--accurate or no--sure beats the hell out of some of the stuff they're airing now!

And, I saw one episode of Total Drama Island a long time ago, and just thought it was a loud, ham-fisted, adolescent parody of a reality show, with the usual valley girls, himboes, black diva, and fat, gluttonous, flatulent geek. And the promos are just so, so annoying. Should I seriously give it another try?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

IRQ posted:

If you're not up for an immature parody of Survivor, Fear Factor, and The Amazing Race, don't bother.

I think what got under my skin about Total Drama X is that reality shows ARE ripe for parody, and based on my impressions of Total Drama, just doesn't go deep enough, or hit hard enough. There are dozens of fat fish swimming in the barrel, and the show fires and hits fart jokes and dumb blondes.

It's like if a show tried to parody the Intelligent Design movement by having Ben Stein fart a lot.

But, I may watch another episode sometime, because I am judging it based on scant information.

quote:

I love The Weekenders.

Me too.

quote:

Kid vs Kat, though. Like, somebody said "Hey there's some douchey kid and his pet cat is actually an alien and they don't like eachother so they fight" and that was that and it got picked up.

And, they probably think they're following in the proud footsteps of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery.

The thing is, Tweety and Sylvester, Road Runner and Coyote, Elmer and Bugs--they're all interesting, sympathetic characters we can relate to, and who are each motivated by nothing less than life, death, and honor.

Kid vs. Kat is just two petty douchebags duking it out.

quote:

gently caress you, Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President Programming, Jetix Europe.

Methinks he doth protest too much.

When someone has to go on and on about how zany and fun their story is, it usually isn't.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm fine with Klasky-Csupo's style, because I'm someone who likes rounded edges and soft textures. When characters look like something Frank Lloyd Wright barfed up, or when they look like they just popped out of an old MS-DOS game, my skin crawls--yes, even when the show in question is good.

Also, I think because so many of the ho-hum run of the mill shows share that same boxy Flash-animated style, my brain has learned to be skeptical of EVERY show done in that style.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

thelaughingman posted:

Some people are taking actions to stop Skechers' new cartoon.

edited

As much as I hate the idea of a cartoon designed to sell shoes, I hate the idea of censorship and nannying by the state even more. Blocking all cartoons that are or could be construed as toy commercials would mean banning TMNT, G.I. Joe, Pound Puppies, the Care Bears, Smurfs, Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, My Little Pony, and all of the magical-card animes---none of it high art, mind you, but not all of it brazenly offensive, and some of it quite beloved by fans.

Hell, the argument could even potentially be used to attack Marvel and DC-based cartoons.

I think the best solution is for parents to step up to the plate, sit their children down, and ask them, "You know your hero's a crappy corporate sponsor, right?"

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:ssh: The whole reason all those 80s shows were made in the first place is because previous laws relating to advertising to children were changed so they could make half-hour toy commercials. The fact that such shows are "beloved" is a testament to how effective and insidious such marketing is.

Oh, no doubt--the current TMNT series and Transformers: Beast Wars/Beast Machines are perhaps the only toy-based cartoons (to my knowledge) that aren't total crap.

(Those of us who grew up in the 70s or 80s need to acknowledge that MOST of the toons we watched, period, were total crap, in fact.)

But, I don't think that's the FCC's call. The less power they have, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 23, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sockser posted:

Verdict on Fish Hooks:

edit: It's a clam that makes oysters. the clam is the best character

Absolutely. Clamantha's voice is great.

I also like the photorealistic collage elements, like the lobster during the credits (I laughed) and the bug-eyed cat (I laughed again).

It's all right so far. I see some serious potential here. I was reminded of My Gym Partner's a Monkey, but Fish Hooks is thankfully steering clear of the fart and rear end humor so far.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Deja vu all over again!

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 25, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

*MAD seems to be improving each week.

Really? Oh god. I really liked the artistic style--especially the caricatures--but, for me, the whole show was just a bitter reminder that all of the funny people at MAD Magazine died 10 years ago. Now, just saying "Justin Bieber" counts as a joke.

Some of the ideas were clever, but the execution was just too blunt and hamfisted, and it reeked too strongly of self-applause, if that makes sense.

But, this was my first episode, so I'll take your word for it that it's improving.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 7, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This. It makes me sad that live-action stuff for kids (outside of edutainment stuff for the very young like Sesame Street) is almost always unmitigated trash that makes the stuff intended for adults look intelligent and nuanced by comparison.

Well, and I don't even recall the live-action shows from the 90s--Are You Afraid of the Dark, Double Dare, You Can't Say That on Television, Alex Mack--being even half as stupid as the ones they have now.

I've heard iCarly isn't that bad, but I simply can't bring myself to watch it. My brain screams "DISNEY SITCOM, DISNEY SITCOM" until I switch it off.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think it has more to do with a shift in trends than anything; in the 90s we had a ton Power Rangers and Goosebumps ripoffs since that was what was popular, nowadays we have a bunch of bland tween comedies and reality shows.

True. Though, I think the Power Rangers still has kitsch appeal, whereas Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana just look painful.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

One of those two concerned teens has a picture of herself in a Boba Fett costume on her Facebook page and this rather enlightening profile description: "STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS...Star Wars! Imma Sith =D" Make of that what you will.

On the bright side, her parents won't have to worry about her engaging in any hanky-panky until about her mid-30s.

I knew a few "concerned kids" growing up, and I honestly never understood them. Are they just trying to suck up to adults? Are they hope that they'll be promoted to full adult-hood if the sucking up is successful? Are they afraid of being subjected to X thing themselves? I can understand nosy adults wanting to "protect the children," but why would a child feel obligated to protect their peers from, well, anything at all?

quote:

If you really want to see idiot concerned parents, look at the Parents' Television Council's "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" report. A few years old, but still one of the most poorly-researched, taking-things-out-of-context report on childrens' television I've ever read.

Reading it now, and :psyduck:.

What I find really fascinating is how their entire preamble is all about the effects of media violence on innocent children, and then they proceed to also tally up examples of references to bodily functions and occultism, like it's all part of the same ball of wax.

So, the award for the most references to excretion goes to...Foster's Home? Since when? I can maybe recall a few "desperately needing to pee" gags, but that pales in comparison to, say, Rugrats, Billy and Mandy, or anything by John K.

quote:

Nickelodeon’s Danny Phantom contained the
most frequent use of offensive language with an
average of 1.7 incidents per episode.

Wait, what?

quote:

ABC’s Lizzie McGuire featured the most frequent
instances of problematic attitudes and behaviors,
with 7 incidents per episode.

Are they eating each other's livers with a nice chianti or something?

I love how Ed, Edd, n Eddy appears to be flying under the radar here, and how out of everything they could've said about Billy and Mandy, they choose an ash joke and a gas joke.

quote:

The influence of Japanese anime on children’s
cartoons is quite evident.

Read: HOLY poo poo GODLESS SLANTS ARE AFTER OUR CHILDREN.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My favorite is how they follow Mr. Bigot with The Sneaky Arab :allears:

Really? I thought he looked more like a Sneaky Jew--ah, but he's a genie, so you're right.

Well, either way, he's a Sneaky Semite.

Oh, and I'll be damned, but MAD actually made me chuckle with the Avatar and Bambi parodies. The incessant yukking over Justin Beiber needs to stop, though, because it's gotten old.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2010

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Magnus Condomus posted:

I heard this applied to something else, so I can't take credit for it, but it applies for Mad as well.

Watching Mad is like digging through poo poo to find diamonds. In the end you're covered in poo poo, so nobody sticks around to see your diamonds.

I think I dig through the poo poo because the diamond on the other side is Robotomy ;).

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUzsT_WhlAA

How the gently caress is this real.

Wow, pure awesome. I don't know what the gently caress, but I do like the idea of a brain-damaged rapper voicing a John K-esque character who turns Tony Hayward into a ring-tailed lemur.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

raditts posted:

I liked how the character he voices has an hourglass strung around his neck.

Yep!

I liked how the absolute most hideous, hateful-looking old people are transformed into the living embodiments of pure cuteness.

Reminds me Gary the Rat, in a way.

But, I'm betting we don't get to see them smoke cigarettes and drink bourbon (or even coffee), and that the premise will basically go to waste.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

OK, So I've recently started watching Kid vs Kat and I'm curious what others think of it.

Last I saw it--

Hated it hated it hated it hated it.

I think the first and most severe strike against it is that it's obviously Flash animated, and I'm pretty drat sick of Flash.

From there, I just found the characters dumb, irritating, and loud. Their rivalry just seems so pointless and stupid, so I can't bring myself to to root for either of them.

BUT, this is based on one episode, and a few clips, so I'll give your clips a try.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
In terms of rivalries and slapstick, nothin' beats the old Looney Tunes toons.

Two things made them great:

1) The characters really WANTED what they wanted, even when what they wanted was silly or unattainable. We in the audience can relate to that desire. Kat's motives are often unclear, and for some reason, I don't really believe in Coop's desire to bust Kat.

2) Even the villains and comic foils were relatable, and had a lot of admirable or sympathetic qualities. The best thing you can say about Coop is that he's not raping babies, and that he has brains enough to outwit Kat sometimes, even if he doesn't have brains enough to understand Kat's master plan, or to see when he just needs to let poo poo go. Likewise, while Kat is smart, and is clearly on a mission, I don't get a sense of his "character" or "personality," besides being crabby and possibly eeeevil.

3) The cartoons themselves seemed to recognize and acknowledge that their characters were caught in an absurd Greek tragedy. Coop's character tragic flaws in particular seem to be in "soft focus," and the problem there may be that they aren't exaggerated or extreme enough.

Another thing--the voices are annoying, especially the little sister. Sometimes I can handle annoying voices, but for some reason, these do me in.

I think the main problem is that Coop is indeed a little dillweed, but the show often behaves like we should relate to him because all of us are "kids."

So, I figure, you either need to make Coop really heroic, caring, and honorable young kid who is motivated by a very honest desire to protect his family from a viable threat, or turn him into a cartoonishly vengeful, zealous, brooding little poo poo who can't stop antagonizing the cat, a la Yosemite Sam. (You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.) Kat needs to have more sympathetic character flaws--say, hubris--and the audience needs to feel that he himself is capable of empathy or sympathy in some form.

Interesting that Kat is trying to feed his home planet. Didn't know that!

I had to quit Nuff Said in the middle to go do something, but I'll finish it. Thank you for being so patient as I mistreat your show :).

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 4, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

1) Millie is absolutely unbearable in the earlier episodes of the show. However as time goes on they cut down her shrill little girl aspect and play up her Fortune 500 CEO side more and more. She is surprisingly more likable when she's not screeching like a drat banshee every time she's on screen.

Cool--good to hear.

quote:

2) They actually DID give Kat some empathetic qualities. For one thing he gets really attached to Millie as the show goes on to the point where he goes out of his way to protect her. I question why this is the case since she seems to push him around more than Coop, but I chalk it up to (again) him seeing a little too much of himself in the kid. He also has a girlfriend or something I think.

Also good to hear!

So, it may be that the show's evolving.

quote:

While I wish to GOD that the writer's would make the show less ambiguous in WHY they are fighting, I have to say that I do enjoy watching these two characters actually planning against each other at the same time rather than one side simply playing defense the entire episode.

Now, that is true.

And, because I haven't seen much of the show, I had no idea that the sidekick's name was Dennis. Thanks :). And, based on that episode you posted, I'd say he's definitely much more interesting, talented, and likable than Coop--but, that's often the case with sidekicks.

(And I laughed when Coop was being chased by the coyote, the buzzards, and the badger.)

The problem for me is that I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel at the climax. As much as I admired Dennis' ingenuity and courage, in the end, I felt bad for Kat and his cat friends when Dennis foiled Kat's evil(?) plan. But, the show clearly wanted us to follow and root for Coop and Dennis, and see things from their perspective, because the "camera" was on them most of the time.

For me, Kat's defeat comes across as more sad than funny, and the boys come across as more bigoted than heroic, because they're antagonizing a creature they don't understand, and don't want to understand. If the show mocked, satirized, or condemned the boys' attitude, that'd be another thing, but it actually seems to share it.

quote:

Yes! That would make this show absolutely perfect. There is nothing I love more than watching the good guys turn evil.

Does that say bad things about me?

Nope, because I'm the same way. We like moral complexity :). (Or, we're just cynical, and we like to see "good guys" slide into the moral cesspool with the rest of us...)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

quote:

I could watch that poo poo all day. :3

Well, and the cherry on top was how the malicious menagerie continued to grow throughout the episode, until Coop was being chased by a whole petting zoo of hate.

And, you're right that progress is progress, and it shows that the show's creators care about their product.

Hell, Johnny Test has been nothing but BOOM POW BANG YELL YELL YELL *poop joke* KAPOW for, what, forty-thousand seasons now?

quote:

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. The show would have been a thousand times better had they either added a five second scene showing that this actually was for an invasion force (and not some benevolent cause) or made it more clear that they hosed up and just stopped Kat from doing a good thing. I'm fine with either, but make up your mind show!

Precisely! The show can't make up it's drat mind, which means, neither can we!

quote:

That's the other thing I think I love about this show. It's dissectable as gently caress.

That's a word right?

Sure :).

If you like shows that are dissectable as gently caress--and I do too--as odd as it sounds, you should seriously trot on down to the My Little Pony thread. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Whodathunk a show about magical horses had so many layers, both real and imagined?

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 5, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

Wait. Is My Little Pony as a franchise even allowed to be good!?

If it's being done by Lauren Faust, then yes! (She's the wife of Craig McCracken, and she worked with him on "Foster's Home" and "The Powerpuff Girls.")

quote:

I just watched an episode and it was pretty much "That's not funny..." the show.

Yep. Jimmy-Two-Shoes just seemed dumb all around--plus, I'm not a fan of that angular artistic style, which has become entirely too common as of late.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Macrame_God posted:

I remember reading online that the guy who played the original blue ranger (David Yost) was gay and got a ton of poo poo about it from the cast and crew while working on the show and its many spin-offs. He later tried to enter one of those christian-run programs designed to purge people of their homosexuality, but wound up having a nervous breakdown instead.

It's not easy being a power ranger it seems. :(

That's awful! Poor guy!

I was never a big fan of the Power Rangers--Batman and X-Men were more my thing--but he and the green ranger were my favorites, largely because they were cute, and because those are two of my favorite colours :).

I'm glad he's doing better now, after all that.

Readingatwork, here's an interview with David Yost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlcuY8bOUk&feature=related

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sockser posted:

Yeah, not really an actor.

Re: David Yost.

Well, everything I had heard up until just now was basically every other person involved in the show saying that he was kind of a dick and a poo poo to work with.

Then in august,
http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/26/blue-power-ranger-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-david-yost-gay-harassment-quit/

And then quickly, in response,
http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/27/mighty-morphin-power-rangers-blue-ranger-david-yost-gay-producer-scott-page-pagter-money/

It's one of those headache-inducing "he-said-she-said" situations. Are bitter, homophobic producers griping that David Yost was a dick because he didn't handle 'friendly' teasing about being an rear end-pirate and a filthy sodomite like a good sport, or is a bitter, whiny, hypersensitive David Yost projecting his issues onto others, and reading homophobia into the most routine events and innocuous comments? How many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie-roll pop? I guess we'll never know.

One question might be, what do his ex-costars have to say about him, since they weren't the ones paying him? Another big question might be, has anyone complained about having to work with the guy since then?

Since the black ranger was actually black, and the yellow ranger was yellow, I'm inclined to suspect there were at least a few fairly culturally herp-de-derpity out-to-lunch (to be generous) types working on this show.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 12, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I don't like Butch Hartman's boxy style, so I admit his shows, while good, are sometimes hard for me to get into.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Not to mention, GUMMY!

(Well, and Philomena, for that matter--keeling over under the weight of her own giant, bald, hydrocephalic head...priceless...poor bird...)

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Macrame_God posted:

Bummer. :(

More than fifteen years later I'm still amazed with all the things they got away with on that show. The phone sex gag from "Canned" is still my favorite.

"Rocko?"
"Mrs. Bighead?"
:stare: :stare:

Be Hot! Be Naughty! Be Courteous!

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

That's the whole reason I do not like, under any circumstance, Tom and Jerry. One of them is an rear end in a top hat to the other for no reason and then Jerry "wins" at the end. You know, you're not an underdog if your win ratio is 100%.

I'm bored to tears by Tom and Jerry. It's just slapstick, slapstick, slapstick. The Looney Tunes are more compelling because even their slapstick is informed by this, whaddayacallit, sly, comi-tragic Jewish irony, and the characters have relatable human flaws and aspirations.

I never found Tom or Jerry all that relatable for some reason.

Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote toons have the same premise as Tom and Jerry, but they're ten times funnier. Ditto Sylvester and Tweety.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speedy Gonzales is totally racist. The entire joke of his character is that Mexicans are lazy and slow but he's fast and clever, which is the opposite of what he should be. Just because a racist caricature from the 1940s has been internalized by modern Latinos doesn't make it any less racist.

Maybe that was the original intention--or, maybe the intention was largely to create another underdog character, but this time with a goofy accent and a goofy power/trait--but that's certainly not how Latinos see it. They relate to Speedy Gonzales because they see themselves as Speedy Gonzales.

I've never come across anyone who finds Speedy cartoons funny BECAUSE Mexicans are supposed to be slow and stupid. Hell, even the people who find Speedy racist usually haven't even made that connection.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 4, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Pleasant Friend posted:

The good Tom and Jerry works are all Hanna-Barbera age, look for Fred Quimby in the credits, it a sign of a quality Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Well, and since there were different eras, to be fair, maybe I should go back and give T&J another look. I've never liked any of the episodes or vignettes I've seen--and I think some of them were Quimby-made, actually---and so I've never been inclined to go back for more.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Behonkiss posted:

I still have yet to watch Friendship Is Magic, but apparently Lauren Faust is greatly reducing her involvement in it:
http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/

Aww, crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

kefkafloyd posted:

I just watched Gumball. I haven't laughed this hard since the coffee bean episode of Regular Show.

ALLIGATORS ON A TRAIN!

I laughed out loud multiple times, I really enjoy the mixed media style, and hats off to the little anime flourishes and nods, too!

There was a line within the first five minutes or so that really made me chuckle, but I've sadly forgotten it :(.