Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sturgeon's Law, 90% of viewers are idiots.

Nevermind, you're obviously 13.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought I read here that people hated it, but I really enjoyed the 7 minute pilot of Clarence. The kid's voice annoyed the poo poo out of me for the first 45 seconds, but then I ended up liking the rest of the show. It's dumb, but not completely random like Uncle Grandpa.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Clarence is awesome.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

So are Nyarlathotep, Dagon and The Call of Cthllhu, but that doesn't change the fact that Lovercraft was racist as all get out.

That's kinda my point. I assume everyone that has ever made anything that I enjoy is a piece of poo poo. Those sort of people are usually crazy in some way or another. We just didn't have twitter or tumblr a decade ago.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

They still have an insanely talented crew so I assume they will continue production without him and recast the voice. Which they've already done with Gumball (recasting the voices), so it's not unusual for them now.

Sweet. His voice was the only part of that show that I didn't really enjoy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Gravity Falls got a lot creepier this season.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

Fine, I'll watch Clarence.

It's the best thing now that adventure time got too esoteric for me to enjoy. I have other things to scratch that itch. Uncle Grandpa makes my brain hurt.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Well Over the Garden Wall is a animated miniseries with apparently only 10 episodes so there is a little more to it than we've seen. But because its made by Patrick McHale and he's worked in FlapJack and the first five seasons of ADVENTURE TIME, including writing three STUPID INDIE SONGS FOR THAT SHOW than it must be objectively terrible.

Loosen your jeans Billy. You shouldn't be upset that some people are annoyed by twee twinkle music.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

horriblePencilist posted:

Can I get a reminder of what happened to the Skyler guy who created Clarence? If I recall correctly, he got fired for sexually harassing a woman, then it turned out he was a hack who didn't actually do that much for the show and some other guys are now in charge of producing the show. Is that correct?

That was the word, but the other gossip was he actually did do a lot of work and the guy saying he didn't was himself a hack trying to get more credit than he deserved. It's all a bunch of craziness and only the people involved know what really happened, but the internet has to be the internet.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Here's a news article: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-co...ons-101061.html

And a link from a friend of his explaining how nuts he was: http://jeffrowegifs.tumblr.com/post/90700109592/skyler-page

And some more clarification from Emily Partridge, the woman he attacked: http://empartridge.tumblr.com/post/90744944014/oh-my-god-what-is-happening-masterpost

The grossest part of the story is that it sounds like a bunch of people who work for Cartoon Network went to school with Page and knew he might do something bad:

It does sound like he did more work on the show than he could handle as a young guy developing a mental disease, but that he had his responsibilities taken away over time to the point where he wasn't doing very much. It sounds like his "reputation" prior to going nuts was being disrespectful to and groping women, but there's not as much information about that.

Unfortunately, cartoonbrew.com is basically Gawker for cartoons and tumblr is tumblr. It doesn't take much to ruin a person's life anymore.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That was the first episode of Clarence I've ever seen. Is he usually such an rear end in a top hat? Because he definitely came off as a real jerk.

Clarence was an rear end in a top hat? Jeff is usually the only rear end in a top hat and only in a creepy/selfish kinda way. Clarence is always the nicest guy to everybody. My daughter is going to be disappointed.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 18, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The actress that voices the bird is awful. Everything else is amazing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

It is so good. The animation, the music, the writing (that shows it's obvious the creator worked on "Flapjack" and "Adventure Time"), the loving voice acting. Not only is Elijah Wood the lead, but in the first night we get Christopher Lloyd and Chris Issak.

This is an instant save on my DVR so I can show it to friends.

Also, whatever dude, Melanie Lynskey is great as Beatrice, the bird, is great.

It could be because everyone else is so good in the show, but she immediately takes me out of it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gaunab posted:

the pinata song from clarence is strangely good

I was so disappointed that they were showing the pilot over again in the guise of a new episode until that song.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

Well the school ended up not calling for indoor recess today, despite the temperature outside, so the exercise was somewhat moot. :v:

I ended up reading back through the thread a bit, got me all the episodes of Over The Garden Wall, and brought them along on a flash drive just in case.

I've got a kid so I've seen most of the kid's cartoons over the last few years, and it's definitely one of the better ones. It's very beautiful looking, almost like anime without the anime.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Ha ha ha. Christians (Xtians) are so dumb!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

It was probably Adventure Time, what with the whole Bubblegum/Marceline debacle.

I figured that was just the typical internet nutballs believing all tv characters are loving each other, especially same sex couplings. Autistic teens and their burgeoning sexuality and all that. I don't see adventure time being popular in Uganda or Russia, so that's weird.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Speaking of not good Christmas specials, the new Toy Story one was boring and a big disappointment after the awesome Halloween one last year.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I know it's not a cartoon, but everyone should watch Peewee's playhouse on Netflix or whatever. It's the only show I liked as a kid that isn't thoroughly disappointing when I watch it now. Plus my 3 year old absolutely loves it, too. You can tell they spent some time doing the remasters. Other than the outdated effects it could've been made last year. Miss Yvonne looks really old in HD though, so if you had a big crush on her when you were a kid, prepare yourself for that.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

How did they get a guy who had been dead for 50 years to do their movie? That's even more impressive.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bown posted:

Trolling or an actual stupid person? what do y'all think

I know I shouldn't expect much from a kids cartoon thread on an internet forum populated by people without kids, but really?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

No the decade of AIDS, Latin American death squads, the resurgent Cold War, the Iran-Iraq war, the rise of reactionary conservatism, the beginning of the slow death of the American middle class, the last and most bleak years of Communism, etc, etc, etc, weren't really childish or fun in any universe other than one created by advertisers

The 1980s has become for Gen X and Y what the 1950s was for Boomers in terms of people utterly convinced it was a golden age paradise on earth because they were (upper) middle class white suburban children at the time

You're really dumb.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

You haven't spent enough time on the internet, but you should also not do that because you will be worse off.

I don't mind 80s stuff and I was none of the dumb things you posted. I was poor and black, but the 80s were a good time to be poor and black. Trying to equivocate them to the 50s is lazy at best. It's just not true in any way.

This is legitimately the dumbest argument I've ever had on the internet. And in a kids cartoon thread of all places.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Arist posted:

People can watch multiple things, you know.

11 minutes a few times a week a few months out of the year is all of the free time that I have though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So a new show made by Frederator just recently got its first half of its first season on Amazon Prime: Costume Quest (based off of the game with the same name). While I wouldn't say it's amazing, it's pretty charming with some interesting hooks (definitely has a kiddy feel though)

Thanks for this, I never check Prime Video because the UI is so loving godawful and I've got a kid with the flu, so anything new and tolerable is a godsend. You're pretty spot-on with the description. I was hoping it'd fit in more with Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors or Gravity Falls, but it is a lot more kiddy and the jokes are a little more forced. Charming enough to definitely give it a watch, it's only ~2 hours total.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

CN announces two new shows; I Love You Mao Mao (produced by Titmouse, created by Titmouse animator/OK KO boarder Parker Simmons), whose first ep was just put up on the app as a sneak peak, and Tig 'n' Seek (created by former Uncle Grandpa boarder/Rick and Morty designer Myke Chillian), a retool of that Tiggle Winks pilot from a while back.

https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1130482923537338368

Their player isn't picked up by my video downloader extension in Chrome so it's worthless to me.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Nick Cage, Jake Johnson, Ali, John Mulaney? Everyone in the movie is known primarily for being a non-animated actor.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

The Invader Zim threads over on /co/ like to ship him with Sizz-Lorr, so enjoy having that image in your head

Is this what it feels like to be old?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So is this a movie? Is the movie a precursor to the show coming back? IMDB is scant with any details. BenDavid (gently caress you) is shown as writing the singular entity and 3 episodes of another entity. Internet searches turn up conflicting information as to what's going on. Biggest question: are they bringing back the nerd from the original show?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

No.1 Special posted:

Infinity Train just got super intense. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Wasn't great for an 8 year old animal lover! She announced she was officially done with the show. I'll have to watch the last two and let her know what happens.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Regarding Infinity Train: Thank gently caress they brought King Atticus back. I really wanted my daughter to finish it, but she can't take people (mechano-octopi?) being horrible to dogs. I watched the last couple first and it ended up being perfect. A bittersweet ending that was satisfying. That got a lot more real than I was expecting from the pseudo pilot episode a while back. It's so amazing going back to the cartoons that I had in the late 80s - early 90s compared to what kids have today. Fleshed out characters with real fears and needs. We've tried watching the shows I liked as a kid and we both just hate them. It's a good time to be a parent.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Rocko's Modern Life recap:

Made it about a minute or two in until guy's big weird nipples shoot out and twist around then had to turn it off. Will try again another day.

Invader Zim recap:

I'd say almost perfect for a continuation of the series. Everything that should've happened, happened and everyone's character and arc made sense. It feels like they were not constrained by the time allotment. Their story was going to take about 70 minutes to tell so that's what it was.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I wish they had kept that up. I was bored with their multi-episode arcs for the most part. I just want a weird kid and his magic dog meeting and defeating (or becoming friends with) various critters. The other humans stuff was blah.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

He's Adam Devine as a sentient piece of pizza with sunglasses. He loves motorcycles and being cool.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, if you believe that marketing bullshit. Vaping companies are just exploiting the fact there is a slightly smaller chance of vaping to kill you than smoking cigarettes to claim it's safe. I mean Juul literally just got caught telling kids to vape.

You're nuts if you think vaping is only slightly less dangerous than smoking. Also, isn't this the kid's show thread?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Does Eric Edelstein still voice the brown bear in the bear kid episodes or do they use actual children?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mystes posted:

Also, has netflix ever announced that they're making something only to cancel it before it airs?

No, I don't think so.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Are they making more episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark? The three part thing was OK, and it's easier to get my child to watch horror things that weren't made before she was born.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The Green Eggs and Ham show on Netflix is probably the best animated (just the animation) show they've done. It's annoying and dumb but I enjoy the way it looks and moves for the most part. I don't know what it's actually called, but I usually hate that animation CG style that cheaper animated shows use.

Maybe it's the extra texture in everyone's faces? I don't have the vocabulary to explain why it's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

That's creepy. You're creepy.