Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dramatika posted:

Can anyone recommend some good mixes? I'm specifically looking for darker dirtier style stuff. I usually listen to dubstep, but I've always been a little interested in DnB, just never knew where to start.

Get a DJ Hype mix. I'd say one of those Dubplate Killaz sets might be an excellent intro

EMUpirate posted:

I hate I haven't gotten a chance to see him in action.
Me either. I always forget about them until after.

quote:

Does anybody still have Konkrete Jungle events in their city?
I can never go out in NYC they're on Wednesday or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, there's a bunch of little stuff all over. Check Resident Advisor or something. I just get random facebook invites and I don't know how I ended up on their lists, so I'm not the best person to ask.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

Wait what? Am I still in the drum and bass thread?

So not-rude

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: what is everyones opinion on MCs when it comes to D&B? I've heard some good ones but I've also heard some awful ones.
Holy crap did you just diss Dynamite MC? This is no where close to awful, this is some of the least lame mcing you'll ever hear. This isn't even like off-the-dome, mcing-in-the-rave kinda MCing. That's where you'll find really awful mcing. Dynamite MC is a legend

I think MCing is essential dnb stuff and think you gotta open up to it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Like THIS is substandard MCing and I still think it rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Z6dqOwiqA

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chrix posted:

I had been looking for a good dnb->dubstep tune and this really cured the itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIwyiqsWj8

Hah that's pretty clever

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedtheid posted:

It also has the exact same tone as a ton of other pendulum songs. The beat is pretty much identical to the others, not just in rhythm.

Ya, they use that thud-y snare (well, layer of snares really) on every single track. It's beyond a "production signature" now, its nearly a joke. Its not just like "oh, everyone uses the same drum breaks", this is different.

SUBFRIES posted:

EXBC Podcast #235: Harry Ransom - Gunsound Volume One (May 2010) [drum'n'bass / old tech step]
download: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/exbc0235_2010-05-09_harry_ransom.mp3
stream: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/235/

Tracklist
01. Konflict – “The Beckoning” (Renegade Hardware [RH2000LP] – ‘Armageddon’ LP- 1999)
02. Future Cut & Marcus Intalex – “Plastic” (Renegade Hardware [RH18] – ‘Three The Hardway: Vol. 1′ EP – 1998)
03. DJ Loxy & Usual Suspects – “Stalker” (Renegade Hardware [RH21] – 1999)
04.. Dylan & Facs – “Hairpie” (Biotic [BIO001] – 1999)
05. Hive & Juju – “Ghettobird” (Violence Recordings [VIO003] – 2002)
06. Universal Project – “Soundclash” (True Playaz [TPR12032] – ‘The Soundclash’ EP – 2001)
07. Kemal – “Bleed” (Negative [NTV001] – 2000)
08. Arkane – “Fever” (Underfire [UDFRLP02] – ‘Blazin” LP – 1999)
09. Ryme Tyme – “Frogger” (1210 Recordings [1210CD01] – ‘Rymetyme’ LP – 2001)
10. Trace & Optical – “Sphere” (Prototype Recordings [PRO012] – 1998)
11. Bad Company & Matrix – “Jellyfish” (Bad Company Recordings [VDBCR002] – ‘The Fear’ EP – 1999)
12. Bulletproof – “Nephelim (Konflict Remix)” (Cyanide Recordings [CYAN001] – 2001)
13. Usual Suspects – “Shrapnel (Stakka & Skynet Remix)” (Renegade Hardware [RH27] – ‘Syndrome’ EP – 2000)
14. Outfit – “New York” (Metro Recordings [MTRR005] – 1999)
15. Dom & Roland – “Thunder” (Moving Shadow [ASHADOW16CD] – ‘Industry’ LP – 1998)
16. Fresh & Vegas – “Forgotten” (BC Recordings [BCUK001CDR] – ‘Inside The Machine’ LP – 2000)

oooooh man check that tracklist. I love me some late 90s/early 2000s dnb I can't wait for this!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're one of the biggest DNB acts,
Well ya, for like 100k people raves, ya. But, like, heads don't spend their days talking about Pendulum. It's like, if in the punk thread people talked about Blink 182 all day. Some people would ask them to make a new thread.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nobody is claiming Pendulum ARE DnB, but they started out DnB and you can't create an entirely new thread just for the release of one album.
The rockers get to do it. Don't let them best you! (Rudie can't fail)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You know what I mean. It's completely generic, but gets taken to a new level of ridiculousness with Pendulum's signature breaks and Rob singing over parts of it.

Hate to nitpick, but it's wrong to call a bunch off one of drum samples "breaks".

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mexican Samurai posted:

I agree, it does look weird. You don't have to move to every single drum beat, instead just move to the bass and count each phrase (even though this is still fast)!

I study Modern Dance and I've been wanting to do a solo to a drum n' bass song for a long time, unfortunately I just find the count to be way too fast and will mostly likely look goofy. I've been thinking of doing one but dancing at half-speed of the count. Would anyone think this would work?

Edit:

Also, this song is absolutely incredible.

Dude it is drum and bass u just skank to it. Listen for the upbeat.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chrix posted:

I don't understand why people still try to sub-sub-subgenrelize dnb, a genre of dance music that is so wide and varied. Especially given the direction DnB has gone in the last 2-3 years.

Sure there are differences between a Camo & Krooked track as opposed to an EZ Rollers track compared to a Dillinja track, but each producer doesn't sit down and think: "Hmmm, I think I'm going to make a strictly Techstep track". They create tracks by taking elements from all kinds of different tracks. Hell, sometimes a single producer will have his tracks sorted based on the SAMPLE they use. It's silly to watch people try to compartmentalize DnB based on what they've been exposed to. People STILL fight about what's considered Jungle or what qualifies as Liquid Funk. It's dumb.

You cant tell me theyre nit totally different cliques. This jump up local dude opened for Limewax and that poppy dude got way scowlled at.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

zeldadude posted:

I think it'd be cool to see how many goons are in each "clique". I'm a liquid guy so I haven't even heard anything by a lot of the big harder dnb producers. I still like some harder stuff, just prefer my sweet sweet liquid... mmmmmm...
I love ragga jungle more than anything. Lots of darkstep and breakcore. I will get down to whatever poppy, jump up poo poo...but I never EVER got in to liquid. I tried, but it just never clicked.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

Well, there's a case, some nice artwork and sometimes even a booklet. Have you never purchased a CD before?

Ahahah, I feel him though. In this day and age, I don't see a lot of difference between an MP3 purchase and a CD purchase, because a CD's gonna get ripped on my computer and shelved forever and never look at it again. I buy records and MP3s pretty exclusively now, haven't bought a CD in a while, last time I did it was a CD only release. (That could have something to do with me mostly buying singles, though)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

Just got back from AK1200 (he replaced Sigma at the last minute due to work visa complications). I haven't been to a dnb event in a while, and well...I don't think I can again for a good while. Not until all this overly heavy dubstep goes away. The other room was annoying grinding and silly laser bass the entire night. The dnb room was...strange and disconnected. Even during AK1200's set it didn't seem like a dnb scene, but more of a bunch of random people in a room while music was playing. The crowd was bad, and AK1200 was noticeably confused as to what direction to go in. I think he lost a lot of momentum really quick when the monitors stopped working in the middle of his first song. From there he had to long mix jump up to try to keep the crowd going, but after the 3rd song people spread out and left. By the end of the night I think about 8 people were left in the crowd. Overall his set was alright, too much jump up for my tastes, but I think I would have had a nervous breakdown dealing with a crowd like that. Anyway, if some of this doesn't make sense blame it on the fact that it's 4:26am.

hahah awww man that's so heartbreaking. i can see it in your story, he was trying sooo hard to win over the crowd. he is a hard dude, i've seen him mix up sets like crazy. if he's playing jump up after jump up track he's obviously trying to salvage something. that's so sad that a room can kill such a legendary, masterful dj like that.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Zahi posted:

I feel like some artists don't get enough attention that really deserve to. Lets change that.

LTJ Bukem
I think you're a little off here he's like the biggest name in drum and bass and has been for decades!?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

DJCrabhat (one word). No one will ever step to me.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SUBFRIES posted:

Figured it out, sounded familiar, the tip was the artists (Die & Clipz):

DJ Die & DJ Clipz feat. Ben Westbeech - "Number 1" [Full Cycle Records]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SIfGTfeM8

I could listen to dozens of clipz or die songs and never get tired. Something about it just speaks to the 16 year old british kid inside me.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Boywunda posted:

Best Clipz remix ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9f8LXV7lNs
Yaaaaaaaaa!

i need some :twisted: and dancing bannas smokin a jay emoticons to dnb up the place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM9aqFsgvcs

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

And now we've reached clownstep...so it goes.
ahahah, its obviously a guilty pleasure.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

awww man a honest to god soundclash? that rules

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mexican Samurai posted:

Can anyone tell me what song this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV1MkDcrN0

It's absolutely blowing my mind.

I don't usually like liquid, but that one gave me chills. Solid track. I saw High Contrast in San Diego a couple years back, and the turnout had to be less than 50 people. The system kept cutting out, but that dude just had a huge smile on his face and kept killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SAFE