Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
God drat I need to fix my C70 T5M.

I even have a Snabb intake piping kit, Do88 IC (with RIP kit), and IPD turboback for it just...sitting around collecting dust.

e; what a loving shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh, I'd email Rob and update the tune for the intake and intercooler if when I get them. Since technically that would make it stage 2.5 or as far as you can go before you hit the turbo per him.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

'92 240

It took two years of weekend work but my brick is street legal. It's not perfect, but I love her.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I miss my 91 240 wagon so much. It was probably my favorite Volvo.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Other than vaguely wanting a 240 from time to time, I've never waded into this thread.

I just discovered that Marketplace is an ocean of inexpensive 850R's and S60R's in my area. Are they awful problem children with hideously expensive parts that break every 10 seconds?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Click "posts by this user" on myself or llyod dobbler and go on a journey of discovery.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

:stonk:

Well, I'll just go right on ahead and look at 850 R's instead :v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 13, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

850s are fantastic, you'll have age related problems with the interior is all. Warped and faded plastic, cracked leather, etc. Mostly fixable but if you find a mint one it's worth the extra money. And they're super reliable. Biggest bummer about the 850R is no factory manuals in the US. There are lots of swapped ones now, and it's really not very hard to do if you want it and find the right automatic.

All my R nightmares are in this thread, starting on page 3 and lasting through page 8: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689131&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3 I don't believe in cross-posting so I actually kept most of this info out of this thread.

It completely derailed the actual project for 3 years. Mostly related to the PO being a fuckwit. I found loose bolts, incorrectly installed components, and I'm still suspicious that there was a rag caught in the intercooler. The best was the first time I blew the turbo was because he put a loving check valve in the turbo coolant line which coked up the bearings. Just awful.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

:stonk:

Well, I'll just go right on ahead and look at 850 R's instead :v:

They're genuinely fun cars, and probably the best value per dollar wagon ever sold. Some people have turbo whiteblocks with 300k+ miles.

I broke two of them and now I drive a Toyota that just needs consumables.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

They're genuinely fun cars, and probably the best value per dollar wagon ever sold. Some people have turbo whiteblocks with 300k+ miles.

I broke two of them and now I drive a Toyota that just needs consumables.

lmao. loving same.

I did keep the 2nd P80 though, because I hate myself and want more pain.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just don’t get an AWD P80, the rest are fine.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Terrible Robot posted:

lmao. loving same.

I did keep the 2nd P80 though, because I hate myself and want more pain.

I pretty much refuse to work on Top's outside of basic poo poo. It's just evil on how hard things can be.

"AH THIS SHOULD BE SIMPLE!" lolololol you gonna get R-P2'd.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Speaking of, dropped it off for the dying starter after watching the FCP video and noping out at "just remove and reinstall the intake hose completely blind."

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Hi Volvo thread, It's me again back at you with more potentially bad financial decisions.

Basically myself and the Fiancee were out and about recently in the sunshine and decided on a whim to look into buying a convertible as a 3rd car to keep in the garage for the 6 or 7 sunny days we get per year (England). Not spending too much just something that's not awful, and really, has 4 seats so the children are not strapped to the trunk lid rack of an MX5 (my original idea, shot down)

Anyway one of the possibilities that has come up is a 07-ish C70 with a T5 engine (looks like they stopped selling petrol ones in 08?). I know there's not tons of room in the back but there will never be adults there. The roof mechanism looks pretty complex, anyone got any experience with it going wrong?

A couple of options that have come up is one with ~90k miles for just under Ł4k, and one with 162k for less than half that. Seems like a lot of miles, but, Volvo.

Please tell me why this is a terrible idea.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Those actually have a decent reputation. The hard top mechanisms are indeed complex and also very well engineered for reliability. They're not perfect but they're not "oh god stay away from this piece of poo poo" on any level. The rest of the car is identical to the first gen C30/S40/V50 (called the P1 platform) from 05 to 13 so drivetrain parts will be widely available as well. You could read a bit of the swedespeed forums to see the worst issues that come up, just remember that it looks like gloom and doom when all the threads are bad, but they made thousands of the car.

They sold petrol ones in the US up to 2013, so they did make them, not sure why your market wouldn't have them.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?97-C70-(2006-2013)

Also the other P1 forums:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?101-C30-(2007-2013)
https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?54-S40-amp-V50-(2005-2012)

I'm definitely getting one if and when my 03 dies/gets wrecked.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Finally got my Triton wheels on. I have seen the top of the mountain... and it is good.

More of an update in my 122 thread, which is more of a compendium thread at this point.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great choice. Wagon looks great.

Also love the 240 wagon upstream. Congrats on getting it on the road.

My v70 is giving me a left turn signal error, but all bulbs are working, just flashing fast like one is out. I cleaned the socket and it was fine for like two weeks. One thing I noticed that has me worried that it's the multifunction switch in the column, is that as I'm turning, or if I turn the wheel while at the stop sign/light, the signal indicator will stop at a certain paet of the turn, then come back on when I move past that position in the turn, then turn off when the wheel is straight.

Anyone experience anything like that?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

always be closing posted:

One thing I noticed that has me worried that it's the multifunction switch in the column, is that as I'm turning, or if I turn the wheel while at the stop sign/light, the signal indicator will stop at a certain paet of the turn, then come back on when I move past that position in the turn, then turn off when the wheel is straight.

Anyone experience anything like that?

I had a very similar issue with my v70 turn signal stalk, also giving me issues on left turn. I replaced it with one from the Swedish mail order junkyard network. I think I ended up paying about $30 for it. The job itself was trivial apart from the bad ergonomics of working around the steering column.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got the same thing randomly in my R as well.
Again mostly with left turns.

Must be a Volvo thing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My R did that like twice and then never again, I forgot about it until just now.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh wow. Good to know. What is the swedish mail order junkyard network?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
My 960 does the same thing, only with left turns but it only does it if the plastic steering wheel column surround is off, I guess the rubber boot gives it that last little push it needs when it's together.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

always be closing posted:

Oh wow. Good to know. What is the swedish mail order junkyard network?

https://en.bildelsbasen.se

This is my main go-to site for parts. You can search on MY, model and even partnumber.
I have no idea how many of the affiliated junkya.., ehrm, recycling stations that are willing to ship overseas, but for really hard to find parts it could be worthwile.

As all the parts in the database are categorized in individual model variants, always check if the same part is used on other models in the same family. (This is where a cross search on the p/n is a good idea).
I was looking for a driveshaft for my V50 and looked in the S40 category where I found one from a crashed car that must have had been installed a just few weeks before.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's great, thank you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

2004 XC90

I saw these problems while under the hood, what are the lines/hoses I circled?

The inset shows the bottom right area of the main photo. That hose connects to the one circled on the manifold on the left. I can't seem to find

e: I figured out it is the Evaporative Emissions Hose, couldn't find it in VIDA but I think this is it:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...AiABEgJdT_D_BwE

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 19, 2020

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Rented a car for a road trip this weekend, I had booked a Mercedes C-class but they ran out of Benzes so they gave me an almost brand new V90 D4 instead. Pretty drat good car, the radar cruise control and pilot assist made the highway grinding such a breeze. Volvo really upped their game with the newer models.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
When it’s really hot out, the fuel level indicator of my car (06 XC70) fails to report any reading until there’s a half tank left. It works fine when it’s below the 70s outside but above that there’s just nothing.
Estimates for fuel mileage and the stop valve when fueling still work. Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You say the "miles to empty" still works? If so it sounds like the fuel sender is reporting, but for whatever reason the fuel hand in your gauge cluster isn't responding.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

angryrobots posted:

You say the "miles to empty" still works? If so it sounds like the fuel sender is reporting, but for whatever reason the fuel hand in your gauge cluster isn't responding.

No, miles to Empty is just ---, but the MPG consumption still works, so I think the gauge cluster is responsive. I think the fuel sender could be the problem, but could there be any other components on that system that would cause this?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ah, mpg consumption on that car is probably indirectly calculated based on engine load.

I would suspect the sender, yes. If you could access an OBD scanner that can read live data, you can probably see if the ECU is getting a signal (which it probably isn't) to verify it isn't a gauge cluster issue before buying parts. The outside temp part of your issue is weird though, I don't really have an explanation for that.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Ah, mpg consumption on that car is probably indirectly calculated based on engine load.

I would suspect the sender, yes. If you could access an OBD scanner that can read live data, you can probably see if the ECU is getting a signal (which it probably isn't) to verify it isn't a gauge cluster issue before buying parts. The outside temp part of your issue is weird though, I don't really have an explanation for that.

Good call on the OBD scanner, I'll give that a go tomorrow. I notice that this car has a left and right side fuel sending unit. If it is the sending unit, would you know if the OBD scanner can differentiate the sensor reading or is that something the ECU does beforehand? I suppose while I could replace both it would be better to know which one is bad and just replace that one.

Edit: Looks like VIDA can differentiate, but not sure about OBD https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?210778-Infamous-fuel-gauge-not-working-correctly-on-2003-S80&p=2321503&viewfull=1#post2321503

Edit 2:
Could it be a software issue? There's a TSB for the car and I don't think it's had the software updated since new
https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/instruments-fuel-guage-reads-zero-with-fuel-in-tank.pdf

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 21, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I would guess the same. I forgot about the double sensors.

Edit to your edit - maybe, but I doubt it. Worth a shot if a dealer is convenient, though. Maybe you can sweet talk them in to telling you which sender is bad if it doesn't work?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 21, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I replaced the ignition coils on my 2004 xc90 (B5254T2 engine) mostly just because. If anyone wants the five that I took out (seem to work fine, measured > 30kV before I took them out), I'll send them to you for cost of shipping. The markings are "PEC 20/08/2010"

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

If SA goes tits up I just want to say bye to this thread. I never posted much but I have owned a ton (9) of wagons over the years and I have followed this thread religiously.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

mikerock posted:

If SA goes tits up I just want to say bye to this thread. I never posted much but I have owned a ton (9) of wagons over the years and I have followed this thread religiously.

I got my first Volvo and posted about it in this thread

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Update on forums - https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

tl;dr: someone is potentially buying the forums to separate lowtax from this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I just got my car back and remember I owe y'all a picture of the most boring Volvo ever.

My 00 S40, in all its boring glory!

I ended up taking it to the dealer to solve the alarm problem. They had it for three weeks and ended up replacing my driver's side door lock for $380ish. I brought it home and the next morning, the alarm went off. I was majorly pissed and took it back. They disconnected the alarm horn and didn't charge me a cent. They told me there are no parasitic drains, no bad fuses, and the battery is good. It just seemed to have an alarm that freaked out for no diagnosable reason. The car wouldn't lock up or anything, the alarm just went bonkers.

They told me there were repairs that could "fix" the problem, but I explained that this car isn't essential to getting me to and from a job. It only needs to work well enough for me to have a social life when the pandemic ends. Cheap fixes are better than having all the bits and bobs working.

I want to keep using the dealer, because they have quoted the lowest prices for when it's time to do my timing belt/water pumps. With labor, they only want $950. They told me a still have a year or two left on my current belt, so I'm not in a hurry to do it.

My goal was to have a functioning Volvo for $5k. I got the car for $2k and I'm currently at about $1.5k on repairs. For a 137k mile car, I'm very happy. That alarm problem was just super frustrating.

Next, I'm going to fix the blown out sound system. But I'm immunosuppressed and not going to be driving it much for what looks like...a few years? Ugh.

I know there is a sound system thread, but can I ask one quick question? If I want a quote on getting the head unit and speakers done, what shop is the go to for not getting ripped off?

(Yes, I know Crutchfield exists and it isn't that hard to do myself, but I have limited mobility.)

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 27, 2020

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My v70 is making some front end noise. Only sometimes after a bump when coasting, goes away when I press gas or brake. It's like a repeated thudding.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mounts? Strut tops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Wrar posted:

Mounts? Strut tops?

Someone else told me it could be CV shaft? I bet all this would be stock with 100k.