Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What kind of economy could I expect from a 2.5l 20v V70, if not mistreated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

More details please?

Generally most S70-V70s range around 18-20 city and up to almost 30 hwy, but different models/driving styles/mechanical conditions may vary...

I need a bigger car than my 206sw, so logically I'll be keeping that for the wife & replacing her Polo. I could afford a ~100k mile petrol V70 or a 150k mile Diesel. I'd prefer Diesel economy, I'm used to 54.6mpg, but if it wasn't atrocious I'd consider a lower mileage Petrol.

Trips are basically the 30 mile trip to work every day (nice straight A-roads) plus any motorway-going-to-see-family/friends trips & holiday How-the-gently caress-me-did-we-pack-all-that-last-year camping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apart from rear main seal (what's the symptom?) and ABS warning light, what's to look out for on an 850?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Apart from rear main seal (what's the symptom?) and ABS warning light, what's to look out for on an 850?

Nothing? Really? Are they that good? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

deratomicdog posted:

Check for a clogged pcv valve (steam coming out of dipstick), that's normally what causes a bad rms. If it's a wagon, look for the tailgate rattle. Uhhh... that's probably it, really.

Hooray, pictures of my 850 autocrossing!

Welp, I'm sold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

deratomicdog posted:

That doesn't mean don't look for the usual stuff, that's pretty much all the 850 related stuff though.

La la, not listening, he said they're great, brb with the first car I find :buddy:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sviatoslav posted:

(and make sure its a wagon)

That's a given. I've been battling with my addiction wanting a Volvo for years. My little Bro recently got a mint 240 glt, my dad's had a succession and I've only recently got to the point where I can actually get one myself. Hope this breaks my French car habit! :suicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sviatoslav posted:

Sacre Merd!

Even if the 850 you buy is on fire, you won't regret it anymore than your other car purchases.

Well, anything I get has to rival the BX :ohdear: for comfort, the Xsara for 'loving refuse to die' the AX for easy-to-find-spares and the current 206 for practicality.

Also, if it doesn't to the automotive equivalent of stabbing me in the balls (french build quality:suicide: ) that'd be a bonus.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opinion poll:
850, 100k miles or V70 170k miles, same price, fairly good condition, both with full history & no issues.

What would you choose?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

V70's a 98/99, 850's a 95.

Both are 2.0l 20v manual wagons.

edit: not an AWD, not important to me.

Edit2: I'll take a 2nd look at the 850.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

A V70 being a 98 or a 99 is a big difference.

The 98 is much better than having a 99 for several reasons including the electronic throttle.

It was registered 99 but I think it was a 98 build.

So, did the 99 have the electronic throttle?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

You can read the rest of the volvo thread and get lots more details but short story:

Thanks, but I read the whole of the thread. The last one too, your summary doesn't appear as far as I see.

Will look at 850 today, report back.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I think he meant the old thread, full of goodness.

Yup, read that too.
850 was a wreck, the guy can take drat good photos.

Both drivers side doors had been replaced, hood didn't line up, towbar->chassis bolt holes were oval with misc patches, there are too many good ones out there to even consider it.

I have a habit of finding crap cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

You want just one MAF or a couple?

Ahahahahahaa, what am I getting into.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've got first refusal on a stupid cheap low mileage 2.4 V70 AWD, problem is it's Auto. Just how expensive/complicated are the AWD's & can I expect anywhere near 30mpg on a long run?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Yes, all the 5 cyl Volvos pull high 20s/low 30s on the freeway as far as I know.

The AWD varies by year, you really should tell what year you're talking about. Although I'm sure you know that and just forgot.

No, I'm a moron. It's an R reg, so a 97. I've got the owner to hold on for a day or 2, just until I know how big a bill the french poo poo is going to hit me for (aircon :argh: )

All the AWD bits work, tread depths match, tyres are all good, even wear, no smoke, interior's good, there's a Dire Straits CD stuck in the multichanger. I think this is a plus point. Also, beautiful smoky grey colour.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So it's the driveshaft, not the transfer that goes? Bizarre. What's so expensive about it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

They won't sell pieces of it, only the whole thing. $1100 list from Volvo, $800 if you're lucky online, or around $450 to rebuild it IF the driveshaft center can get the parts. There's a place here that is able to get some years and rebuild them.

I'm amazed you can't get a replacement built by someone else, a driveshaft is a tube & some joints, unless Volvo own the only machine capable of making their magical end fittings.

Anyway, I borrowed it for a day & got 12mpg, also, I don't get on with autos, so I had to bid it farewell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Having got bored looking at every cheap lovely volvo within 100 miles, I've doubled my budget. Can someone tell me what to avoid before 2004 on a manual diesel v70 please?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

biglads posted:

Pre-2004 the Volvo D5 engine was prone to injector failures. At about £1200 each, make sure that the car you are looking at has had them changed.

How can I tell? Also am I right in thinking 200,000 miles is no biggy for these engines?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

biglads posted:

You should ask the owner and look to see the paperwork from when it was done.

I reckon 200,000 is no problem if it has been regularly serviced. I have a 2004 S80 D5 with just over 150k on it and the engine is fine.

EDIT: Check this link out
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/v70xc70-2000/?section=bad
Lots of things to look out for.

I trust no previous owner, also, holy poo poo that's a huge list of expensive poo poo. (Thanks)

edit: Pre 2000 looks a hell of a lot less trouble.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 10, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Volvo's hate me.

1st car I went to this week I guess the owner had the wrong time in mind because he was dragging a loving animal carcass out of the boot when I turned up. I took one look, he shrugged & I hosed off.

2nd car I was almost orgasming in delighted excitement, the car was loving perfect. It burst into flames when I pulled up back at the dudes house.

I'll keep looking :buddy:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Late 850 wagons: Rust in the front edges of the front wings - how bad a sign is this? I may have found a car that isn't on fire or biting me but there's a touch or rust at the front end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

This happened on a date once...

I really wish I was kidding.

Anyway, a massive long shot I know, but are any UK Volvo goons near Luton? There's a car I want to go see but it's nearly 3 hours away & I don't have a spare day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looking at a '99 V70 tomorrow, what's to look out for with the electronic throttle?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Check for it to have a yellow tag. You can see it right below the intake manifold when standing in front of the car (right behind the dipstick basically). Original ones are white. Other than that look for any irregularities in throttle action, like surging when accellerating or bucking when you let off the gas. If it's been replaced, it'll still go out again but you have more miles than if it's original. When it fails it'll be about $500 to have xemodex rebuild it permanently.

Stupid question, it's a diesel :downs: - do these have the electronic throttle module?

Other than that I'm looking for free play & stiffness in steering, top coolant hose not being floppy or rock hard, oil leaks from the rear of the engine, evidence of leaky heater matrix etc yes?

Also, timing belt/water pump & belt are vital changes in this I hear, as is checking front suspension for collapsed ball joints etc.

Did I miss anything? (other than the usual car-buying make-sure-the-doors-open-&-the-lights-flash stuff)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:ohdear: oh god I bought it

edit: 99 V70 diesel, blue, the only bad bits I found were - terrible condition paintwork - needs a lot of cut'n'polish, drivers electric wingmirror doesn't work, the spare is on so I think that tyre has a slow leak, a few scrapes, the left hood catch needs adjusting, load cover end-catches are knackered.

Oh, And to let me know what I'm going to be missing the exhaust fell off my Peugeot on the way back. I'll go pick it up next Saturday & find all the stuff I missed first time round :v:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 24, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Some questions, trying to prepare for picking my Diesel V70 up:
Seen loads of recommendations to put Mobil 1 in. Prepared to do so & pay, but what grade?
How do I get the colour code out of my VIN - is it the last 3 digits?

edit: is there an online manual, 'cause that'd save me pestering you lot a whole bunch.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 26, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Due to my astonishing forward planning & the wonders of the British public transport system I'm going to be taking nearly a day & a half to go pick a car up from 125 miles away. gently caress this country.

On the plus side it's going to be sooooo comfortable when I finally do get it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

'99 diesel V70 I'm picking up Saturday doesn't have a trip computer, which I'm going to sorely miss. Any options or suggestions?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Pen and paper? :v:

I keep a notebook in each car. Work done on each car goes in its book too. With dates and prices and locations and anything else relevant.

I keep a notebook but my current car has a live MPG, distance travelled / left on this tank, average speed etc. It's helped me tune my driving to get decent MPG & I'm going to need it more than ever in a V70 :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ooh, nearly forgot, I think this car's got a 6-disc changer, where would that be hidden?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Think I found a solution, this wasn't available in Europe with Imperial gallons last time I looked but seems it is now:
http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/index.html

OBD2 multi-gauge

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fukken Whoo!
Picked the V70 up this morning, put 170 miles on it bringing it back (detour to pick up a parent)
List of things wrong with it so far:

5 different tyres
Only the passenger up/down works on the wing mirrors
Rear discs will need changing
Whole car needs a thorough clean, cut & polish
Engine top mount/stabiliser bush thingy needs changing
I need a new dipstick & screenwash lid
SRS light needs resetting (hopefully not replacing)
The load cover wasn't broken, just partially disasembled. It retracts & everything

New MOT came with 2 advisories - both the left & right rear indicator lenses are discoloured. I think I can live with that.

The oil filter on this thing is huge compared to anything I've done before.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It doesn't look bad in 640x480, I agree :v:

Anyway, first on the list is tyres, I've got 5 different brands on there at the moment so I've been looking around & would like some first hand advice.

195 60 15 88h, I've had recommendations for Uniroyal Rainexpert, Dunlop Sport fast response, Pirelli P6000 & Goodyear excellence. They all seem to rate pretty evenly the only thing is the 2 local places to me say the Pirelli & Goodyears are getting scarce. Any views on the Uniroyal or Dunlops?

Also, where do you UK goons get your volvo bits(other than the scrapyard)? I found GSF car parts & have used them for French cars in the past, how are they for Volvo's price/quality wise?

More photo's today as I clean it out. the left side paintwork looks like it was driven through a bush :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

For some reason someone has stolen a wheel bolt from me. I swear they were all there when I bought it home, now there's one missing.

Anyway, on today's list is - can I repair a broken door check strap myself?
Electric wing mirrors only partially function - should I start at the mirrors or the switches?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is there a UK or Euro version of IPD or something similar? Google gives me loads of options, but can anyone recommend one?

I'll be picking up some more nuts tomorrow, I'll check them all then.
(edit: I won't be driving it until then)
Anyway, more stupid questions:

Whilst vacuuming up the dead spiders (wolf) & sand I found this under the rear seat:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's only on one side & looks like some kind of bizarre chemical pack. Any ideas?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Does anyone have an owners manual that tells me how much oil is required for a '99 V70 TDI?

Also, there is no Haynes manual for my car :aaa: (Not that covers this engine or the early V70. 850 is covered but petrol only)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

V70 wheel bolts are the rarest fit in the world apparently. Have you ever tried to get hold of a non-locking bolt without a scrap yard or a volvo dealer?
Strangely, the bloke at the worst tacky chrome shite shop was the most helpful, ordering me a bunch in for tomorrow. He did tell me I could fit 20"s on there though, good to know :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have a key question & I'm dreading the answer:

My 99 V70 came with 1 key and fob. I can find a new fob for £40 and a new key cut with transponder for £15, Volvo want £240 (ha) to supply & program these items. Can I buy them & code them myself?