Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
Goon does idiot thing at tattoo parlor.

Film at 11.

I still have yet to make a write-up for my 245 GLT. I promise, I will though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Sviatoslav posted:

I'll be there in my 850 with working ABS, BECAUSE I AM A SOLDERING GOD!!!!!!

Also: Crispulus, you loving own so goddamned hard its not even funny. I thought I was going to be bad rear end with my engine code on my right foot, but you sir are a visionary.

Actually, I really like the engine code idea. One idea I was floating around was the cover to the 164 Haynes book but its cross-section revealed the car to be the carburetter model and that just wouldn't be accurate in my case.

There was another cross-section picture for the 164 that was D-Jets but that was a Geocities page from years ago and we all know what happened to Geocities.

Edit. Because the other photo sucked hard. Here's one where you can actually figure out what part of me it is on (I swear I only have a neckbeard when I photograph myself for this website.)

@ the post below; excellent stocking stuffers.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 23, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

I'm pleasantly pleased with the Slow-vo rep Volvo has.

I am invisible to cops and I believe that 35 limits should really be 55 limits.

Did an 88 in a 55 in OH coming back from Cedar Point. Got a Warning*. Was doing 50-60 in a 35 along a well banked forest road, saw the cop started to lurch forward then stopped and reversed back into his hiding spot. Was doing 40 in a 20 while late to school. Got a warning.

No tickets on my record.

*this may have more to to with as I passed him in his hiding spot I immediately pulled over. I was in park before he even flashed his lights. Also: he question my ex if I was always this polite. So, that might not have much to do with Volvo cloaking.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Is the third row seat a real draw for people? I prefer to remove it so I can fit a full-sized spare and keep a handful of tools and useful stuff in the hidden hatch area.

I love a third row. I had a giant Caprice wagon with a gunner's seat. Total party wagon.

My most recent purchase - the wagon - the PO was supposed to install and additional third row for fifty USD but failed to do so (PayPal had my back).

I won't be the party back the Caprice was but some of our friends are tiny girls.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

epix posted:

Spotted this classic '72 Volvo 164 up for sale locally and thinking about picking it up if the price is right. He is asking $2k for it the way it is.

"1972 Volvo 164, carbureted, 4 speed w/OD (originally 4 speed w/o OD), radio delete; rebuilt cylinder head and carbs; new battery, water pump, hoses, clutch, brakes, tires, shocks, exhaust, etc; newer, cleaned out fuel tank; runs and drives very good; no rust, but currently in primer - needs paint (light blue metallic with black interior); comes with ALL parts, including ALL trim and bright work and the original transmission."

I'd plan on painting it Pearlescent white to match my mom's XC90 V8 (real nice color!) These 164's somewhat reliable?

I saw this for sale on some website in K-Zoo. I was tempted but I already have one. Mine is fuel injected but it has the lower compression motor and dull three speed. That transmission will be fun though, if it is anything like the m46. Press a button and you found 5th gear!

I think the price is a little high. I'll post more but as is I think I'm going to be late for work.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

CornHolio posted:

So there seems to be a huge Volvo junkyard at the following address (pull it up on Google Earth, it's awesome)

13696 el dorado blvd, new buffalo, MI

I drove by it today, and I can't find anything about it online - no phone numbers or business names or anything. It's a bit out of my way but I really want to call them and see if they have some items I need.

Does anybody else know about this place?

That's Jim Corwin. He's a nut. My first 240 came from him. I think he is "retired" and no one has been able to make contact with him. I saw an ad or two on IPD offering Bertones for sale out of New Buffalo as the seller was "retiring." Tips on how to deal with him: don't be a woman; huge sexist.

J-Cor Enterprises was his business name. I might be able to scrounge up an old phone number.

I have a D-jet issue of my own (the 73 164E). Overheating, I suspect. Lost power on Michigan 12 on the way to a wedding. Thank goodness for AAA. I had it towed to the shop (then returned to start it up after the reception. I'm ordering replacement tstat and this advances my timetable for upgrading alternator and adding puller fans to place in front of the radiator.

Any advice on any of this. Shoot.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I wish you fucks lived closer

I know I'm quoting the SoCal Bricker but... I've noticed some serious MI and OH Brick-A-Goons about and I would just like to note that in August there will be some Volvos at the Gilmore in MI. HINT. http://vcoa.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=45

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo. Well, that's only... a couple thousand miles. :sigh:

I saw that. I'm so excited for August.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Fun story. I was driving to work when I noticed my battery wasn't receiving a charge. After I parked I tried to turn on again to see if I should call the sec. dept. to jump me for the road home trip, no go. I look at the belts and sure enough they are a little on the loose and brittle side. I ordered replacements and had security jump me for the home trip.

I didn't want to have it die in traffic so I kept revving it high at lights and such. When I got home I went to pop the hood so I could trickle charge it and noticed the exhaust to the turbo and the turbo were bright freaking orange.

That actually was a little cool.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

I just seem to be King Annoying-Problem Day. All of Pearl's (1973 164E) driver side running lights are out. The one on the bumper, the two side lights, and the rear light. WTF?! I discovered this at 1150PM so I really hope this is a fuse issue when I wake up tomorrow.

Also, If I was a philander (read: I have a good thing going) I would have completely been laid by two hippies chicks that fell in love with Pearl as I pulled up to a beer garden / Irish-style pub.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pics next time.

I didn't think of it until it almost went back to dark, and all I had was a camera phone.

I sent it to my email and tried to make it more clear but.. it isn't really happening. I have half a mind to intentionally do this but I have a feeling it would be a bad idea.

Here's what I got anyways;

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 30, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Possible concern about my turbo, recall when I overloaded the engine. Now I don't think I'm still getting full boost. I wish I would have paid more attention to the gauge but It doesn't seem to boosting well. I don't "hear" that turbo spool anymore.

I'm usually paranoid about every sound I hear (and with a 26 year old wagon, that's a lot of sounds!) But does this seem right?

After I take my foot of the gas the boost gauge will drop to the bottom. It won't crack the second partition on the gauge if I'm 1st. And it will only boost higher if I'm in a higher gear. When I'm in neutral, it also won't crack the second partition on the gauge.

So, am I being paranoid?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

If the cat is going bad and I just replace it with straight pipe (I have a 2.5in sports exhaust coming from Skandix that replaces from turbo back [IE: cat delete]) would that lessen or greaten the problem? What should I expect from a cat delete anyways?

Thanks for the input guys.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Will I get to see the lambda-sond CEL all the time now?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Xovaan posted:

How do you diagnose a red-hot turbo that doesn't have trouble building boost? Could it be my exhaust leak? :ohdear:

By the way 3" exhaust is loving huge. I can't wait to get the whole thing. :dance:

I like that we are 2.1L turbo buddies.

Oh, the 164E isn't starting. loving hell, on a holiday weekend to boot. Fuel pump is on. Starter is spinning. I'm hoping it is something simple like a dis. cap or rotor.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 4, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Pearl magically runs again. Don't really know why. I did depress the gas pedal prior to turning the key. Prehaps that had something to do with it.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Pearl again doesn't turn over. I did the old "screwdrive in the spark wire" routine to see of there was a spark. Nothing. Problem located?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Very generally? Now you have someplace to start, though. What's the symptom list?

Starter is spinning the fan. Starter works. Fuel pump hums and I smell a little fuel after a long period of cranking. Fuel pump works. I shoved as phillips in the coil to dist. cap; no sparks. Methinks my IPD blue coil is dead. I'm sure I still have the original one (plus a few 240 ones around) and I play with that tomorrow before work. If it is the case I might invest in an MSD coil plus MSD wires plus NGK iridium plugs. A fellow gearhead (GM fans would cream their pants over his garage) really talked up MSD today.

I don't need Pearl to run because my stolen bicycle was returned minus my bike bling and plus two lovely tires where my fresh new ones were were returned. (fun story there). AND I should have the Rollercoaster should be done from the shop. That and I really don't want to plater her now as July is always BILL MONTH.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Check resistance on your primary and secondary and test for power and ground before swapping. Problem could be further up the pipe, or just a bad primary ground and so on. What engine is in Pearl? What's providing your coil pulses?

Also, I think my spark tester was $1.50 and it's been reliable so far. ;) The screwdriver trick always drives me nuts, I've seen it fail and I like to be sure.

B30F.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Are you still using points in that? If so that's the first place I'd look. Also, if you are using points, do you ever sit in Pearl with the key on in position 2? Because if you do that and the points just happen to be closed, you'll actually kill the coil that way. That's why cars have 2 key positions to begin with.

Huh! Well, prior to this problem I did have the key in position two for a hot minute while I wrestled with the front turn signals because they kinda suck.

Having said that, I put the old coil on to no avail and I'm leaning towards missing a ground somewhere but in all honestly electrics are a total mystery to me.

All I understand are intravenous medications and righty tighty lefty loosey and only one of those things are car related.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Didn't answer the question, are you using points? If you don't know what I'm talking about then that's likely your problem. They're cheap and you replace them frequently on that car. The only way you wouldn't be using them is if you or a PO converted it to electronic ignition, which I highly recommend anyway when you can afford it. It's only like $100 to do the conversion.

Are we talking distributer points or this thing?

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...54193&3671=1002

It turned over today. Spat out a load of carbon from the exhaust, then died.

Lloyd Dobler, patron saint of goon bricks.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Well, that linked part is what I'm referring to, and they go inside the distributor. Pull the cap and see if the contact looks all crusty or really worn out.

Your car has D-Jetronic, right? If so then you have additional points below in the side of the distributor that just give a signal to the EFI, but I'm not talking about those.

Already done, but before I went to work and with not enough time to upload a pic.

Here is the pic.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

I think that should not be so frayed.

But it isn't one of the points. What is that?

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 13, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Different car. 1984 245 GLT, m46. Installed the Skandix 2.5 inch exhaust. No hole for o2 sensor (o2 sensor before cat / cat delete). Car dies at idle because, well, no o2 sensor there. I've heard of o2 sensor simulators, etc. Would that be a viable option or should I have a muffler shop drill a hole so I can have my o2 sensor plugged back in.

FUUUUUUUUUCK ME.

Or not. I think I could just complete the circuit with the right resistance the circuit expects back from the o2 sensor I think we could be right as rain.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 18, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Go get an O2 bung welded on. Modern cars can get away with tricks to fool the computer on the 2nd O2 sensor, because its only purpose is to verify cat function. That's what you've heard about. On your car, you only have one O2 sensor which actually controls the fuel mixture, so you can't bypass it or simulate it. In fact, you wouldn't ever want to, because closed loop fuel systems are vastly more efficient than open loop.

Awwww. Okay. I was all excited about playing with electrics. But that was my first guess, looks like it was the correct one.

Edit. t-bricks seems to think that the o2 sensor should have never been after turbo before cat. Does anyone have a b21FT? Could you tell me where your o2 sensor is and/or take a picture?

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 18, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

The o2 sensor is welded after turbo now, like the prior exhaust, but I just have no idle still. Since I have no idea what could be causing that now I punted it down to the mechanic. Does anyone have any idea what would cause a Kjet to no idle?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Did you try adjusting the idle adjusting screw?

Where was it located? I don't think Kjet has that. Djet does, but I don't know about Kjet with lambda sond.

You mean the bit that is located by a hex screw? Under the sensor plate?

Pearl is randomly working again, by the way.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 23, 2010

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Thanks to Lloyd and 82Diaon I believe I solved my problem. I adjusted the 3mm hex screw on the injector plate and now can get about 500-700 RPM at idle. I'm sure the rest of the problem is going to vaccum leaks and cleaning up other loose ends but now my car will idle indefinitely, after having me prime it so to speak and coming rapidly off a really high rev might kill it but... it is a start!

By the way, this was after my local mechanic just shrugged his shoulders.

Great success! I'm going to award myself with a tattoo today because it is also my birthday.

Good omens, eh?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Hey Brickgoons!

Sorry I've been AWOL but I've been working 60 hour work weeks and busy getting engaged up in da UP. Those have taken away from car time and resources.

I've finally got the Rollercoaster's (the '84 245 GLT) fuel mixture and idle just where I want it to be. After doing that I killed my clutch so that had to get replaced. I paid the idiot tax and just had it done a shop. A new clutch really gives this car back some life.

It did this;

Which was exciting. No more of that because I don't want to kill a second clutch. The suspension is still woeful but that will a spring project!

What I want to do in the short term is get a third row seat and winterise it.

Mad props to Lloyd, Daion, and Xovaan on their projects!

Did any IN, OH, MI goons go to the Volvos at the Gilmore in August? I almost went but I really had to save my money (engagement and UP vacation came first).

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

ch1mp posted:

L

What are peoples opinions of the 160's? I have a line on a 1969 164. I almost hope it has been sold. I don't really need it and there are cooler old Volvos but I would have a hard time passing it up if its still available.

I have a '73 164E and it is a head turner but with the automatic it is a bit boring to drive. Lloyd is right, turbo white block with the m90 tranny is the answer to all it's problems. Plus, if you pull that out of a 960 it might yield IRS. But I don't know what to think about making it a 162...

I don't know if I should sell it or keep it. I'm toying with selling it but ahhh, I dunno.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

ch1mp posted:

Any automotive quirks/nightmares with these?

Finding parts. It is sorta rare. There is very little support for it. They are really neat but horrible fuel economy. They had three engine options. b30S - carb'd from 69-71, b30E - 71, and the b30F -72-75.

They 69 would be carbed and you could play with that more. the b30E was a high compression model that actually got really decent HP for the time. the b30F was low compression to comply with stupid emissions.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

How unlikely is it I will ever be able to find a 240 wagon with the inline 6 diesel? I understand they were sold from 79-84 but I can't find any number on how many were actually sold in the US. I've been casually looking for a couple years but never see these things for sale. I'm not sure if they didn't sell many, if people just don't sell them or if they all broke down and now liter junk yards across the nation. I would prefer it have the manual, but depending on the shape and price I might have to settle for whatever I can find.

The diesels were reportedly awful and not that prevalent. I think they all broke down by now.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Damnit, I got a speeding ticket. I thought these cars were invisible.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Crispulus posted:

The suspension is still woeful but that will a spring project!

HAHAHAHAHA "Spring project!" I just realised what I did there!

Anyways. At -4 degrees my window motor died. Goddamn my colleague who had something "Oh so important to tell me."

Damnit.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

This is the 240? Move the plug to a known working window switch. The odds of it being the motor are a lot lower than the switch, the contacts wear off for everyone.

It ended up being the motor. Both driver and passenger switch could not operate. My mechanic moved it back to up position for free. I'll sort it out in the spring. Likely by switching out the guts of a manually operating door into all four. I never liked power windows anyways.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

I know I haven't been posting in here in over a year (once you start saving for a wedding, you are not allowed gearhead expenses) but I have very sad news.

I'm fine. Bruised kneecaps and hurt ego.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

zundfolge posted:

Ah, poo poo. That was a nice car-glad it did its job and kept you OK.

Thinking about buying it back and parting it, or are you done with it?

Oh. There are brand new parts I'm reclaiming. I have to prolly put up a good fight to get a good totalled value out of it. I want anything connecting with turbo + exhaust + gauges + anything else I think of.

I'm already searching for another. I loved the GLT's. Best 240 I ever owned.

Lloyd, are you a CO man? Someone already saw my IPD classified wanted ad and responded with an '83 245GLT, any chance you know it?

I'm basically stalking Ithaca, NY and Portland, OR's CL ads now. Autotrader, Cars.com, and ebay all have permanent tabs on my Opera browser. I'm talking to a brickboard guy about an '89 m47 with intact service records (original owner as well.

I have my irons in the fire.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 11, 2012

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

I have two likely interests now.

A VA 1989 DL with the m47. Original owner. Brickboard guy. Scanned and sent me full service history in PDF format. Asking 2,800. About 110k miles. Updated LH.

- if I go with this I'd like to transfer any turbo piping, exhaust, et cetera.
How do-able is adding the Garret Turbo set up to a B230F LH system?
- I know the m47 is relatively weak but could it stand up to the turbo and cat delete from my rescued parts?
-I'd also have to put a tach in it because Volvo is weird about DL's and tachs.

The other interest is the 1983 GLT with the m46 and '84.5 IC in CO. 149k.

- I like this because I'm more familar with the B2.1FT and I would only have to transfer over my rescued exhaust (cat delete). Asking 2,200.

I'd have to ship the CO car and I'd be willing to drive the VA car back to me.

I'd like to add cruise assist and an LSD to either model, how do-able is cruise assist?

My ideal car would be;

-Wagon
-RWD/AWD.
-Third row seat.
-Stick.
-Turbo.
-Fog lamps.
-LSD
-Roof rack.
-Cruise assist.
-Crank moonroof.

That's a tall list and for Volvo I'd have to add most of that myself. It's pretty much Audi/Suburu/1980's Volvos/R Volvos if I want those options but... yeah... I need another 245 soon.

Any thoughts my what I'd have to do to these wagons?

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2012

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wow, that looks like a pretty solid crash. What'd you hit and how fast was the collision? It's been a while since I saw a 240 front end that askew.

(Sorry to see a nice Volvo give it's life, but that's what they're made for. Glad you're okay.)

Median. Prolly 55. I was intentionally going ten under as well. I didn't expect the black ice. Never once I had control on the bypass.

Quick Q.

They appraised my brick about 2,200 USD. That's the price that the CO GLT is going to be sold to me. My deductible is set at a 1,000 USD (stupid, I know...). I was thinking about a private appraiser. I made a call and I'd be about 400 USD for one company. Is there one that is lower, or is this about par? (they charge for travel), and would it be even worth it?

Lloyd, is there a mechanic you'd recommend in the Denver area for a pre-purchase inspection? I thinking on going with the GLT.

Thanks!

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I recommend Volvo Specialists if they're anywhere near downtown, the head of the Rocky Mountain chapter of VCOA is the service writer/GM there. He's a good friend of mine and they're pretty straight up, but they'll charge you $100 for the inspection. In truth most of the Volvo shops around here are pretty good, I don't know of any with a real bad rep.

I'm my username at yahoo dot com. Would you be willing to email me about that shop? Would it help at all to namedrop you? I'd like them to also take some photos while it was up on the lift of the undercarriage.

I'm going to hire that shop based solely on your recommendation.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I know that it's a no-no on the 5 speed autos from 99-up, because yeah putting fresh fluid in there only causes an immediate failure. I don't know about the older ones, but if I was a gambling man, I'd gamble on you being fine.

Crispulus, emailed.

Thanks, LD! Brett was pretty cool to talk to. When I called him, he was actually texting you. Haha.

I'm paying him to do a pre-purchase inspection, and if everything else checks out. Replacing the clutch less the cost of purchasing from the Denver seller.

Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Awwwww... not you too! March is not Volvo month.