Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If it was the clutch and it felt like a cable snapping, it was probably the clutch cable. :v: I don't believe 240s are hydraulic clutch, but I could be wrong.

Get under the car and see if you can find the clutch release arm. It might help if someone pushes the clutch pedal while you're under there so you can see it moving.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is your hatch assembly actually damaged, or does it just need regreasing? My WRX wagon is exhibiting similar behaviour and the common fix is just to apply more grease to the latch to keep it from rattling over bumps.

Can you get a better picture of one of the logos stamped into the rim of the wheel? That might help us figure out where it came from. Are they just JWL/VIA or is there something else?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If anyone needs some parts for a '92 Volvo 240 wagon, I'm pretty sure I know where to get them. What a waste of a majestic steed. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Ok power issue has popped up again. Now it's cutting out at full-throttle. Did it on the highway when I was passing someone and basically cut the fuel supply (I guess) at 4k rpm twice in a row.
Have you checked your ignition system? I had a similar problem in my old j-body whose root was in an improperly gapped spark plug.

It would probably affect the tachometer, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

I traded my 98 V70XC yesterday for 1997 850.
That's a handsome Volvo. Nice buy! What are you going to do to it mechanical-wise?

You might be able to cut out some of the scent by leaving a dish of baking soda on the dashboard overnight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think you can get Hakkapeliittas in 15". There's no substitute for these as far as winter tires go, especially if you spend any time on ice.

They're not cheap, though.

I have Nexen ("Roadstone") Winguard tires on my car when winter hits currently, and they're "okay," especially for the price ($60 a corner for 17"). They freak out a little on ice, wear extremely quickly and they're very noisy on dry tarmac but they do really well on loose snow. Hankook iPikes are also pretty popular here. I will probably mount Hakkas when these Winguards are stripped; they were thrown in by the previous owner of the car.

I had Nordics on my previous car (FWD J-body) and they were pretty good overall. They're extremely popular here.

edit: Looks like the Hakka 5 comes in everything from 185/55R15 to 215/65R15 so you should be able to find something that fits, albeit perhaps at a crazy price. There are cheaper Hakkas as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's basically my experience as well. There are varying degrees of quality of winter tires (mostly in terms of wear/rubber compound and how lovely their tread design is) but I suspect even Ling Long winter tires will probably be better than voyaging out onto the ice in all-seasons. If you're really gung-ho, you can get studdable winter tires (such as my Nexens) and step up to a nice stud setup if you're finding the cheapo winters aren't doing it.

Also, don't be like a lot of morons here and only put on two winter tires. "I'm saving money by fishtailing wildly at every intersection!" I'm not looking forward to the upcoming winter where I will see several Corollas with winter tires only on the front and all four tires massively underinflated "for traction."

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

At least they'll still be selling them in Europe, so it's not like they're going away completely... we'll just have to all move there. That's all.

European delivery program?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kmcormick9 posted:

Going to look at a 2000 V70R this week. What should I look out for? ETM has been replaced
I have heard the S60R has transfer case problems; I don't know how similar the V70R is but I can't imagine it'd be all that different, knowing those Swedes.

Actually, that's a bit of a misnomer; I think the S60R doesn't have a traditional transfer case - it looks like it has an "angle drive coupling" and a "bevel gear" which seem to go. They were replaced under warranty, but such warranty period has undoubtedly expired. Check for leaks.

edit: Link

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 7, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TheJeffers posted:

It's possible that the turbo is going bad due to age. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, it's not a horrible job to replace it, but you will need to source a turbo (used or otherwise.) It might also be possible to rebuild it.
Rebuild kits for turbos are pretty cheap, and from what I've heard from others it's not terribly hard to do if you have a turbo that's the right candidate for a rebuild.

There are also a lot of shops that offer turbo rebuilds, particularly if you live in a city with a lot of heavy industry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is it a good idea to run tires of different diameters on the Volvo AWD system? I know the Subaru and Ford (Fusion) AWD systems suggest that you not do so. The manual should let you know, but you may have to replace all four tires at once or risk accelerated wear.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That braided line looks gorgeous. I'd love to have something like that in a future project car - never thought about getting it custom-made at a hydraulics outfitter.

How dirty is your MAF? I've seen MAFs with leaks (torn o-rings) or excessive filth cause crazy idle issues on Subarus, so I'd imagine it may do a similar thing on Volvos. Much easier to check before starting to tear things apart.

e: You said you're guessing that it's idling high - do you not have a tachometer hooked up? You can get a cheap inductive one from Walmart that supports 4- or 5-cylinder engines and just clamp it on a spark plug wire to see what's going on.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Seems like a defective idle air motor wouldn't cause an oscillating idle like you're describing, so it might be something in the engine control logic that controls the idle air motor. Does it happen only on cold startup or does it also happen once the car has warmed up enough that any of the emissions-mitigation stuff isn't happening? The way it's described sounds almost like the car is intentionally in fast-idle to promote low emissions (preheat the coolant/oil/cat) and then refusing to drop below that fast idle threshold for long.

Check to make sure the idle air motor is hooked up properly, I guess, if you've just swapped it on. Might also be worth going at it with a multimeter to see if the input signal to the motor is the same as the original car would send to it.

Vacuum leaks are pretty easy to check for as well, so that's worth looking at first.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That looks right to me. If you look at where the MAP sensor came out of it should make some more sense.

It might just be dirty; otherwise, if that doesn't fix it I'd start looking at the wiring harness that goes into it.

edit: Google seems to indicate that some V70s may have a barometric sensor in addition to the airbox MAP sensor (why not just use the one sensor for both?) for regulating fuel trim when changing altitudes; you might want to look for that and make sure everything is kosher with the barometric sensor if indeed you have one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 8, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You might get lucky with a junkyard score too. I walked out with an Audi 5000 hood for about $20, but that was when scrap value was a lot lower than it is today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure that qualifies as distracted driving, which may open you to legal penalty in many jurisdictions. You should always keep both hands on the wheel and keep looking where you are going.

If you absolutely cannot wait to spank, pull off to the side of the road as far as possible, activate your emergency lights and then administer corporal punishment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

astrollinthepork posted:

Yeah? I'm actually considering joining up with the SCCA and getting on that poo poo. I have no experience in such things, but I'm thinking the ride height would be detrimental. I was going to get a Crown Vic for the season, but if an 850 is capable then I'll definitely seek another one out.
There are guys in much lower FWD cars than a stock 850 running ok times in rallycross here. In fact, EG Civics seem to be the winningest combination for local unprepared FWD and they're only far enough off the ground to clear lane divider paint. If you can, throw winter tires on it for dirt use and adjust your tire pressure and alignment and you're good to go.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

renzor posted:

I went to a couple dealerships yesterday to browse their V50 lease returns and any 07+ used on the lot. When I mentioned that I'm set on a 6psd they both laughed at me and wished me luck. gently caress Canada.
In 08 a salesman sprinted across the lot to try and secure me a 6spd C30 or V50 to take a test drive in after a walk-up. I don't think there's a lot of them out there :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The shitloads of oil usually comes from shaft play, which you can figure out if you touch the impeller directly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How does that thing not torque steer like a bastard when you punch it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Who has $600k?

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/10/14/swedish-treasure-portland-volvo-shop-warehouse-and-amazon/

I will come over and build a 240 from spares.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Probably just need to back off the tension on the handbrake cable a few notches, which also means you'll need to pull it up further before it engages the same as it did before.

On Subarus you can pop the back wheels off and there's a screw on the backside of the caliper that lets you adjust the spring preload on the little brake drum in the rear calipers.

On the V70 it appears that there's an adjuster closer to the handle which I'm guessing just changes the handle tension and not the preload on the brakes: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15211

The Subarus also have an adjuster closer to the handle but that's only supposed to be done for fine adjustment & the drum preload is still what they suggest doing (I can't find out how to do that on the V70, but maybe try that first). Congratulations on your new car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Lookin' good. Deer always shoot a ton of poo poo when they get nailed by cars; you should be glad that one was relatively empty.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sviatoslav posted:

I can't really think of a V50 catastrophe we've seen in the shop, so thats a good thing going for it. [...]

Last week we pronounced dead the first Volvo 5cyl I've seen since working there. We've killed numerous SAAB engines and Volvo T6's but only one 5cyl. Thats got to speak for something. They're insane. One of our loaner 850's should be dead from gross neglect, but instead it has taken on the beloved shop nickname "cockroach". I put a steering rack in the cockroach last week :3:
Any good catastrophe stories for any Volvo? I'll only accept XC90 transmission stories if they're really good. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How's Megasquirt for these engines nowadays? I seem to remember there were issues with the ignition that kept them from being a good standalone option a few years ago, but MSv3 fixed similar issues with the K-jet Audis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't know what the flange is like on the Volvo td04s but Subaru td04s are pretty common and under about $150 used. I've got one in my basement that I've thought about rotating to fit my Miata.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

If your seat heater isn't working, don't turn it on again (other than for testing) until you know why. IIRC there was a fantastically-told sad story on Brickboard a couple years ago about a guy forced to decide between letting his balls catch fire or moving his now-burning 745 away from the house that held his family. Cause was a broken line in the seat heater grid, arcing.

There's no inline fuse or anything? I always assumed there would be one for any heated seat to prevent this from happening.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought AWD + manual 850s were hens-teeth rare, but here one is. How does that drivetrain hold up to turning up the boost? Same problems as the S60R/V70R?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Volvo-850-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ505711817

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PadreScout posted:

So 740 it is! Going out to look at that today, now that you mention it. 1992 740 with an automatic (boo) I'm hoping to find something by Christmas, but if it takes longer- whatever. Buying cars isn't a race.

If buying cars isn't a race you're not getting a deal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's kind of lovely out right now (blizzard warning on the highway) so I'm not really tempted to drive and look at this car right now, but it seems tempting for the price if the weather settles down.

quote:

Currently not running. Coolant leak from the intercooler to the engine body after -30's. Good for parts. Heated seats, stereo, tires & rims (Brand new full spare on rim) no body rust. New starter, battery, Mass Airflow Sensor. $500 OBO.

My impression is that these things have a water to air intercooler and a coolant line has burst which keeps the car from running because it will overheat. Is that correct, or am I setting myself up for a future of changing out fuckers after a very expensive tow back home?

I also thought these were strictly air-air intercoolers. Is it like the Subarus where a coolant line just kind of runs alongside the intercooler because it was a convenient place to put it?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 3, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Armchair Calvinist posted:

What do you guys recommend for suspension/handling/braking mods for a daily driver? Right now I have turbo sways, IPD sport springs, and Koni adjustable shocks. The car is pretty twitchy at high speeds and the wheels seem to have a lot of feedback through the steering wheel when they go over deep grooves on the highway. Any way to rectify this?

This sounds like a classic alignment issue to me. What is your current alignment spec like? Are you seeing any bump steer?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Bump steer is pretty easy to figure out; loosely grip your steering wheel then drive over a bump. If your steering tried to put you into a fence after hitting a bump, you probably have bump steer issues. :v:

I'd start with looking at the alignment; chances are that a PO has never ever ever ever done it except as part of some other unrelated service where it was thrown in for free, and they almost certainly didn't do a custom alignment to get the handling you desired.

You should be able to find some advice on how to set up a good alignment for your 240 on a Volvo forum somewhere, but I'd suggest just putting it back to stock for now and see how it changes.

For high speed, straight line stability running more toe-in on the front may be beneficial.

Oil leaking through a strut top would certainly worry me but I don't know how the Konis are set up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The wind will become still, the background din of humanity silenced and we will all as one burn alive on this dessicated hunk of a planet as it falls into the sun, but the redblock will continue.

In the grim darkness of the forty-first millennium there is only redblock. And EJ22 and AMC 4.0 too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Koni has a 25% off sale on Tire Rack (and other vendors) for the entire inventory until the end of May, I think. jamal might have been able to do better than that: if you want, send him a PM.

It still sounds like a pretty good deal. Tire Rack is $458 shipped for a '93 240 sedan.

KYB also has a $40 rebate thing on right now. Any luck with the job hunt?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 16, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I should start a fake credential granting school for stuff like that. If you can't write good enough SQL to build a report after 15 minutes our instructor will personally beat the poo poo out of you on the sidewalk. Otherwise you get candy and a certificate and we watch some episodes of Police Squad in the back.

No idea what Tableau is though. I'd just make up a software package that sounds similar and say the experience will probably transfer. HR don't care.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They can only use period-correct air in museums, and eBay takes a shitload of time to ship to Iceland.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Sick wagons. :)

Dave Barton does custom gauge faces for some stupid cheap amount, like $30-50 shipped. Anybody have any good ideas they have kicking around? This is what I came up with: :effort:

My redline is 6500 with chips and I don't use KM/H so I nixed both to better represent my car, but I can't decide on a color scheme and the guages people always post are way too gaudy and busy...

The RevLimiter store for Miatas has so many cool gauge designs. I doubt he'd care if you ripped off some of his cooler ones.

http://revlimiter.net/store/gauges-na.php

I'm head over heels in love with this progressively increasing font size gauge:

He mentions it here: http://revlimiter.net/store/gauges-custom.php

It's even more cool at night:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dunno about Volvos, but other brands would call that an air dam, lower spoiler, air deflector, splitter or bumper cover trim.

"Air guide:" http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34797

Although maybe air guide is the engine under cover on the 850: http://volvo850wagon.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/86-air-guide-replacement/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On the S40 it appears to be SPOILER/30655878.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Spoiler/1138307/30655878.html

e: f, b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Having fenders be different colours sends two messages to other people in traffic: I care enough about this car to fix it, but it has hosed up people (probably just like you) in the past.