Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just went from this:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

to this:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

And you have no idea how happy i am. One cylinder more, a 100hp more, a 2.4 liter engine instead of a 1.2 liter lawnmower, room in the trunk for more than just two bottles of beer, cruise control, AC and waaay more comfy. I think i'm in love. We had to completely rebuild the rear brakes though. They were not working AT ALL. Thank you guy who sold it to me for telling me that "theres nothing major to do except for an oil change" Yeah right. Still have to do something about about the paint. Its badly scuffed and scratched in some parts. And theres still some rust to take care of on the lid of the trunk. But who cares. Its a loving Volvo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean my brake calipers aren't supposed to look like this :haw:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean those aren't supposed to look like that? :suicide:

Man i really should get to work on this thing...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Tracked down the latest death rattle in my 99 V70, turns out there are now no bolts holding the ac condenser to the front of the radiator. Ni biggy, except it looks like I need to take the front upper airdam off to get to most of the locations. Another lovely job in the middle of winter woo!

I dont know if its exactly the same as in my 850 but if you take out the screws attaching the whole fan/radiator/condenser assembly to the front of the car you might be able to push it back and get to the screws that are otherwise unreachable. Might be necessary to take out the two main screws that hold in the radiator though. So im not sure whats easier...

I just hab a wonderful drive home after my exhaust split open right at the catalytic converter. God what a sound when the exhaust stops unmuffled directly under your seat. My ears are still ringing. Lets hope i can jury rig something together tomorrow that works until i can afford to pay someone to weld it back together :/

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Depends, do I need to take the front bumper off to get the airdam off? :suicide:

Sorry english isn't my first language so im not 100% sure what an airdam really is, but i changed the radiator on my 850 a couple of weeks ago and the only part of the body i had to take off was the plastic thing thats underneath the radiator. And thats only held in place by two screws and a couple of clips (i guess this might be the airdam?). The condenser is only attached by four screws to the radiator if i remember correctly. The two lower ones are easily reachable when you take of that plastic thing. The upper ones are the hard part. Like i said you might be able to get to those if you take of the screws that hold the fan and its frame to the radiator and the body. I was able to bend the whole thing back enough to get to the screws. But i also took out the two big screws that hold in the radiator. You can reach those from under the car easily. Just don't shear one clean off like i did. THAT was no fun.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

rarbatrol posted:

Oh man, I had that happen to my 850 recently. The rear exhaust hangar had broken, so the wobbling with every bump eventually cracked it open. When I got it fixed, I had a bunch of other small repairs done that the previous owner had neglected... So I'm guessing the welding work was about $150-200.

And then I bought a new exhaust for the hell of it.

I just brought the car to the shop and told them to fix it. I can't weld and even if i did i wouldn't have a place to do it. Costs me 300€ to get everything behind the catalytic converter new and shiny. Wasn't exactly in this months budget but paying a lot of fines because my car sound like hell is approaching isn't either.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Might be the anti-roll bar links (I think thats what they are called). Those wear out pretty quickly and make a clunking sound. I know guys who replace them annually. Luckily they are cheap and easy to replace.

Anyway, i just replaced my shock mounts and spring seats a couple of weeks ago and i still have that gap under the upper bushing so don't worry about that.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
God i am so tired of this car right now. I had a ton of problems with it in the past couple of years but everything was fixable by throwing money and parts at it till it shuts up.
But after replacing the leaky radiator and the hoses leading to it it still loving leaks. I can not get it to loving stop leaking. Everything is new goddamnit! Stop leaking!
My problem is that i'm not sure if its just the hose thats leaking or if the radiator itself is leaking. Theres just some water in the general area of the hose and i can't really see where it's coming from. I'm gonna attack that thing with half a dozen hose clamps and see if i can get it sealed up.
If the radiator itself is faulty i'm gonna try once to get it replaced by the guy who sold it to me and if that doesn't work im just gonna burn the car because gently caress that.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh im so loving tempted to ditch my 850 for a V70 II. Its expensive but i think i could afford it. Its a Diesel so i would save a ton on fuel and insurance is much cheaper too.
But i just spend so much money to fix up the 850 and im never gonna get that back if i sell it because the paint and the interior is in pretty bad condition. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and sell it so i can enjoy the pristine condition the V70 is in...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

How many miles do you do? What's the difference in insurance?

Also, where are you & what colour is the 850?

I did a lot of math today and its just not worth it for the money. I save on fuel and insurance (or i could get better insurance, which i probably would, for the same money) but taxes here are way higher for diesel cars so it pretty much cancels out. It would be a much nicer car but it also costs a lot of money.
Theres another V70 around which costs exactly the same, has just under 100k km on the clock (thats 50k less than the other one) and is even a loving bi-fuel which would save even more on fuel. Even the taxes are alright because its not a diesel. But the wive says she will never drive a silver car...goddamnit woman!

Oh yeah the 850 is dark blue but it won't do you any good cause im in germany and that might be a bit far for a road trip ;)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm finally back in a Volvo. I drove a 2008 Peugeot 308 SW for a couple of years and while it was very economic and roomy and well equipped and everything it also fell apart at every opportunity. Broken injectors, broken dpf, broken turbo, broken diesel additive system. And the interior looks like its twenty years old already.
So I spend a whopping 900 bucks and got me a 1995 855. Its got the smallest engine (2.0 10V 126HP) and no extras whatsoever. No AC, no electric windows, no heated seats, no cruise control. Nothing! And I don't loving care because its a well kept Volvo (It has been used as a company car for 20 years and always got its inspections at the Volvo dealer) and even though its 13 years older than the Peugeot and has 100000 km more on the clock it just feels so much more reliable than that French garbage car.

It has some small issues like pulsating brakes when I brake heavily and I can smell exhaust when the windows are open and I'm standing still or only moving slowly (cracked exhaust header?). Its all stuff I know how to fix though and nothing that can't wait till the next paycheck.

Generally I'm happy though. I mean, headlight wipers! It doesn't get much better than that!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well i had it for about a month, was about time someone killed it:

Doesn't look to bad but:

loving airbags triggered. Passenger airbag cover smashed the windscreen as well. My loving ears were ringing for hours.
Not worth repairing it with the blown airbags so it probably gets sold of to poland or wherever cars go when you hand them over to some sketchy dude wo insists on paying in cash.

Theres a chance that i get more from the insurance and from selling the "wreck" than i paid for it so i not to mad.
I liked that car though. More sad than mad.

Edit: Oh yeah, found a piece of pointy plastic shrapnel lodged in the rear door window gasket. That would have been fun to catch with your face.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 20, 2016

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
RE: thread title.
I just went to take a look at a V70 at a dealer and it wouldn't start because the battery was dead. :haw:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Rejoined the Volvo Family with a 2004 V70 Bi-Fuel:

Man that thing is comfortable!

Not exactly gonna win drag races with it but its great to just cruise in. VDASH is telling me it can flash the tune for 170hp on it which is mighty tempting though...

Now to fix two of the parking senors, the ABS ring on the front left wheel and the air quality sensor because of course i bought a car with all the warning lights on!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
It's been registered in 2004 but I guess it's a 2005 model? Car years are weird.

It's blue and I'm pretty happy that I found it. Doesn't even have 200k km on the clock yet. Only one previous owner and it has always been serviced by a Volvo dealer.

It's even got leather seats and "wood" interior which I hate cause it makes the car look like it belongs to a 75 year old man which, looking at the previous owner, seems to be pretty much correct!

Biggest issue is right now: It's a bi-fuel. Which is great cause I can run it on natural gas/CNG which is way cheaper than petrol. What's not great is that, at least here in Europe, the gas tanks for CNG need to be replaced every 20 years.
So in about two years I have to decide to replace the CNG tanks for a shitton of money, disable the CNG parts and drive it with a very small normal gas tank or ditch it.
But until then, great car!

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 21, 2021

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Replaced the air quality sensor on my V70 II because the Vida Dice said its broken. Didn't notice it a the time but this caused the whole AC system to panic. Left side was only blowing warm air, right side only cold. No calibration or test was working. Unplugged the new sensor, everything works again. Guess i wont be having an air quality sensor then!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ionn posted:

I have known more than one Volvo where there was an error code for the air quality sensor, but with no apparent ill effect on the ventilation system. I think someone said it had something to do with the thing that selects outside/inside air (recirculate if the world smells bad or something), but gently caress if I know.

E: quote for page break

Yeah it sits in the cabin air intake and supposedly closes the ventilation to outside air when the air is bad and opens it back up when you manage to overtake the truck spewing diesel fumes at you and the air quality is back to normal. Its also slow and rarely does what it is supposed to if other people on the internet are to believed. But it was the only error message i had so i figured i'd replace it to be errorfree!

Looks like you need to be lucky with the replacement sensor or buy an original Volvo one because otherwise you get an LIN Bus II error and the whole A/C System just stops working...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus loving christ.

I'm trying to replace the PCV system on my P26 V70 bi-fuel and its the worst loving thing. You have to take of the intake manifold for that and you cant reach a single loving bolt easily. Every single on of them is around some corner, behind something or entirely invisible. I had to take off the thermostat housing to get to one bolt and i made the mistake of opening it because i though that would be enough to get to the bolt. Now the gasket that goes between both halves of the housing is hosed and you cant get a loving new one. Theres not even a parts number for it. You are supposed to buy a complete new housing including the gasket! Did ya want to change the thermostat but not the entire housing? Well gently caress you! You don't get to do that!
And because its the bi-fuel version theres gas lines in the way loving everywhere. So after wasting an entire saturday on this thing the only thing that changed is that its now leaking coolant cause of the hosed gasket and the intake manifold is still firmly attached because theres a secret hidden bolt that i can neither see nor get to because there are pressure regulators and distributors and poo poo like that for the natural gas system in the way.
God im mad about this car right now...and i still have to fix it...

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can get that one no problem. There's another one between the two halves of the thermostat housing. Looks like this:

As far as I can tell you can't get that one anywhere. I cut one out of an old bike inner tube right now to get the car going temporarily.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Got a year of life left in them. Not sure what I'll do when they run out. The car is in great shape otherwise so it would be a shame to get rid of it because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, looks like the TÜV guy didn't care about the age of my CNG tanks and just certified them for another two years. And here i was ready to panic!