Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Oh come on, don't tell me I have the only s60.

old pic of her looking clean:

Click here for the full 816x612 image.

COMING SOON: THE VOLVO S60 POWER STEERING LEAK ADVENTURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

More details please?

Generally most S70-V70s range around 18-20 city and up to almost 30 hwy, but different models/driving styles/mechanical conditions may vary...

That's how my S60 is. On well inflated tires and everything fresh I got 34mpg on one trip.

I did get close to 6mpg going through mid-ohio raceway though :pervert:

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Anjow posted:

5th post, Bub :c00lbert:

ooh not sure how I missed that.

I want your paint.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Crispulus posted:

Goon becomes a legend at tattoo parlor.

Fixed

Anxiously awaiting more of this.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

reddeathdrinker posted:

Was out on the 2010 Pirelli International Rally yesterday, thought you might appreciate this... Won its class with plenty of time to spare.

Was it racing against crippled children?

Really though, thats amazing for that car to win in any sort of rally compared to the usual competition.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Xovaan posted:

I can identify something else in that picture

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

I've already got the 960 tails on the car, but they don't trigger the bulb out indicator for me, for whatever reason. Is yours a 1991 or 1992?

Bulb out indicators usually work with some measure of resistance. Do the 960 tails use a different bulb?

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

MY VOLVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOVF1qwPzI

That is my cars new permanent sound track.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

82Daion posted:

I now know what it feels like to kill a 240. :smith:

(I junked my 242 parts car today)

If it helps, you're car will become a very successful organ donor and save many more 240s.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Xovaan posted:

I just hacked away at my overpressure protection / overboost protection switch and turned it inward two full turns. I don't have a 20psi hand pump to test it, but theoretically if I only have a 12b in my car right now, I shouldn't really have to worry about blowing up my engine if my turbo is only really capable of like 10psi anyway, right?

Closer to 20.

as halfway crooks posted:

The power steering on my 850 is makin' a creaky noise and seems to be somewhat "centered", particularly when cold - if that makes any sense. I turn it slight left or right and it hits almost a "curb" that's easy to go past, but definitely noticeable. Any ideas? Kind of an idiot about power steering, my dad said it might need a new belt but that's dadchat. Checked the fluid and there was definitely more than enough?

PS is belt driven, so it could be getting worked and the belt slips under stress. You could try spraying the belt with belt conditioner, it'll clean any oils off the belt as well as make it a bit grippier.

Try turning it while revving up a bit, like at 3000, and see if it happens. Any chance you can get the front end lifted on jacks and turn it then?

blankooie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2010

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Any other S60 owners get the letter about the fuel pump recall? Any insight on that? I know its a bad corrosion problem of some sort, but really I just want a new fuel pump.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

kinkster posted:

No I meant like is it permissible to ask buying advice in that form? I know it's generally frowned upon unless you've narrowed it down allot. Lets see I'll give it a shot.. I'm trying to decide weather to go with one of the late 90's sedans or the newer versions (starting with the S80 in 1999, and then the S60 in 2000 I think?). Looking to put down $5000 roundabout.

Early s80s and s60s have problems. 00-02 S60s had transmission software problems that will lead them to a early death.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

https://www.tirerack.com

Put in the model of your car and it will show you the top models related. While mostly US based, you might be able to find the same tires elsewhere.

I've used the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on my last car an S70 and liked them a lot...will probably put them on my V70R when it comes up for a tire change, but I'm trying to use up the PO's tires first.

ive got those on my S60. They wear pretty fast :(

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Whilst poking around waiting for oil to drain I found the top motor mount appears to need a new bush - is this a simple job?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

10 minute job. I really suggest the replacement rubber mounts over the polyurethane, as they will vibrate the poo poo out of your car for the first 10,000 miles or more (or forever)

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
So does oil always glow under a UV light or is that only when the UV dye you put in your coolant gets into the oil... :(

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Oil does glow under a UV light, have a beer!

This is why finding an A/C leak with dye kinda sucks in a bay with a leaky engine.

I had to go confirm this on another car, and a unopened quart of oil.. :psyduck:

Well, all this means is that I may or may not have coolant in my oil. Oh well, I got to play with a UV light and realize how disgusting my desk is.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

I learned a goofy trick a while ago: throw a little of your oil on a hot exhaust manifold.

Sizzles? Coolant.
Pops a little flame? Gas.
Smokes? Just oil.

Pull the dipstick while it's running and run your fingers down it to get enough for this test. Obviously, if you only have teeny trace amounts of whichever in your oil, this won't be effective. But then you probably wouldn't have enough data to want to test in the first place.

Why are you worrying, anyway? What's your symptoms?

Coolant is disappearing every once in a while. I'll check the levels and they will stay the same. Then one day I will start the car and get the "COOLANT LOW STOP ENGINE" message. Have been parking it in the garage and havent seen anything on the floor.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

With the 850 gone to the car graveyard in the sky, I'm shopping for a new car. There is a 2001 S80 for sale in my budget. How bad really are the electrics?

The electronics are top notch, they were hand installed and designed by the Amish.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

mikerock posted:

I'm just going to leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyuNPAuMq8

11:27

oh poo poo

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Wheels are over rated

So are most suspension components

Waiting on the UPS fairy to bring happiness.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
My S60 nearly fell on me tonight. It landed on a strut that I had hanging out and that strut likely saved my life. I need to frame that strut.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

the poi posted:

Holy poo poo. What happened?

I was on the drivers side of the car at the rear wheel readjusting the jackstand (i lifted the car up a tad with the factory jack) and it just swayed towards me. My head and upper torso was under the car at this time. Instinct was to BACK THE gently caress UP when it came down after me. Strut on rear passengers side was hanging down (disconnected from top) and caught on the ground, stopping the car from hitting full bottom and sliding further. The jackstand that was on the drivers side was now lifting into the gas tank, but did not breech it (THANK SWEDISH JEBUS) I have no idea what went wrong, but if I ever decide to get under this car again, its going to be with a floorjack.

So right now my car is lowered 1.5" in the front (yay H&R sport springs!) with no new springs installed in the back, and a missing strut on the passenger side rear (bouncy!) and a ABD light on because I forgot to plug a ABS sensor back in somehow :iiam:

Anyways, going to take it into a shop and have them do the rears, as I am still scared shitless of my car now. Also picking up a replacement strut for them to install. Pics coming soon.

blankooie fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 23, 2011

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Heres my no longer straight strut, compared to my pretty straight macbook.

On a positive note, check out the stance in the front

However, without having the new springs on the rear, I'm getting that raked look :quagmire:

Really need some pegasus 17s and I'm set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Springs are in, alignment is off. Does corners like a dream :)