Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh are we talking about P1s? Cause I think I'm about to buy one
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

It's 3 hours away, I'm going up tomorrow on my day off and unless I see some glaring red flags or the questionable BHPH (tautology lol) refuses cash or tries some kind of absurdly scummy poo poo I'm pretty much taking it home. I know to look for motor mounts, what else should I keep an eye out for? There's got to be a reason it's that cheap, even at that mileage you normally have to fly across the country to get one at that price. (I was seriously considering a fly&drive from Montreal earlier this year because they just don't fuckin exist here)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It may already have been, it seemed to pull a bit harder than the last one I drove (but that was a few months back, my butt dyno doesn't hold calibration that long). I'll look into it once I get the PCV and cooling systems sorted. (yeah, I'm a Volvo guy now, got it for $5k)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Debadged tho, could easily have pulled that sticker. Or an aftermarket tune, or it just felt really fast driving it immediately after driving just about 4 hours in a vehicle twice its weight with not much more power (that's the most likely one)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Thoughts after 3 weeks of C30 ownership:
I should fix the A/C, it buffets like a motherfucker when the windows are down
Why didn't I buy one of these years ago this is awesome
The battery didn't die (though it gets really low at random and I havent bothered to figure out why yet), but the transmission made a weird noise and this came out
(that's teeth)
Anything I should know about R&Ring this trans? Just got in from picking up the only used 6spd in Alberta from a wrecker in the middle of nowhere lol.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've had a few different chargers in my 08 c30 now (kept bouncing different ones between the car and truck) and haven't had an issue yet... Still haven't driven it since the trans exploded tho lol

e: didn't quite get what your question was there, I believe it's just the two. Maybe pull a socket out of a random GM product in the junkyard and modify the hole to fit?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ehh, the stock radio is pretty damned good in these. I find the Dynaudio badged ones a little overprocessed/Bose-y sounding but not obnoxiously so. Add a bt adapter to the Aux-in line and you're pmuch set.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dealer very likely can, definitely not available in the publicly available editions of VIDA, and something like VDASH may be worth a shot if you've got a DiCE.

e: Oh also I bought the C30 a present

Got some of the late RDesign springs coming to replace the hogged out 10 year old Eibachs too. And a stupid obnoxious muffler because I am 12

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 21, 2020

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

I hate sunroofs, and Volvo ones in particular. They are the first major failure point on any of the cars I've had. Lots of little plastic bits on the newer ones that age and crack, and even the old metal ones required lube that was always neglected. My T5 had endless annoying sunroof rattles. I ended up ripping out the sun shade and most of the mechanism to stop the rattles, and built little brackets to lock the glass in the hole. Also it leaked horribly. My daughter's V50 had drain clogs and flooded the interior during a particularly bad rainstorm once, it actually ruined the passenger seat leather. My R had no sunroof and I was grateful. My new V70 has one, and I haven't even tested it to see if it works. I doubt I ever will. If I want sun and wind noise I'll drive my convertible.

Yeah there's a reason I waited most of a year to find a sunroofless T5.
....Most of that reason is just that it takes up all the headroom in a P1 and I don't fit, but yeah I don't miss mystery water ingress or finicky mechanisms at all. The only car I've had with a trouble-free sunroof was my 97 Sunfire, somehow.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

When Ford owned Volvo it's not like they laid everyone in Sweden off and some Alabaman sisterfucker started slapping Volvo logos and Whiteblocks in some old stock Mercury Topaz shells out back. There was _some_ sharing of platforms and parts but it was largely the same group of people making similar cars. There's no reason to fear that era, and tbh from a reliability standpoint I'd take my Ford-derived P1 over a fully Swedish P2 all day long.

That being said, within your budget/goals I would personally be looking at mostly P80 cars and 7xx, maybe 9xx's. Any Volvo with curved sheet metal for sub-$3k is likely to be trouble IMO.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress sets it on and off if it doesn't have a key fob.

Looks like it's time to read the manual. Oh boy.

Usually it's a little contact in the lock cyl that'll tell the module whether it's being unlocked with the key or by other means. So if it was last locked with the key or with the door open, if it doesn't see the next unlock done with a key it knows something is up. If that contact has a little shmoo on it from disuse (who uses a key on the pass door, like ever?) it would then think you're slim jimming it.
Or I'm completely wrong, there may have been a fob that's now missing, or Volvo/Mitsubishi might have come up with a different way of doing that on this car, Idk much about them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What a fantastic car!
gently caress Lowtax! He's still on the way out tho so I think things will probably be ok here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

IIRC FCS is a shock/strut you put on something you're selling, as long as you don't plan on doing real long test drives. I'm not afraid of cheap shocks in general though, the $30/corner Gabriels on my truck still feel alright 120000km later.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

What should I know if I'm thinking of getting a C30? I have never owned a Volvo before but I like my sister's wagon of similar vintage, and the C30 looks cool.

Get one, they're great.

like all eurostuff of that vintage, pay upfront for a good/low miles one. I did not and it has bit me hard a few times (but I wanted a turbo one and needed one with no sunroof because of my height, and that particular combo is kind of rare so I got the only one available lol)

Make sure you have easy access to a good Volvo dealer, the aftermarket maintenance/repair parts for these things are often absolutely fuckawful or just not available but dealer parts are generally reasonable in price. I have to get all my parts out of Volvo of Vancouver because the one here is poo poo.

It has a GDCS (sort of), replace the whole cooling system (particularly the surge tank and thermostat housing) on your baseline, its not uncommon for a cooling system failure to wreck the cylinder head before the temp gauge moves one notch).

Speaking of cooling, the thermostat is ridiculously hot. Mine being higher miles the engine harness is starting to get quite crispy from being baked all the time. They do not make colder stats and I reckon if they did there might be codes for the engine not fully warming up. More reason to find a good/low miles one, though I'll be ordering a whole harness from Volvo soon to fix mine up.

the accessory belts are a bastard because the engine is basically car forum swapped into the chassis. It's a factory BP-swapped Festiva. The alternator belt runs off the a/c compressor, a/c belt drives everything and a failure of either will cascade fail into lunching the timing belt and it's an interference motor. Keep the accessory belts (and the accessories they drive) in excellent shape.

The chassis is mk2 Focus/Mazda3, with all the lego fun that entails. FoRS front 6 pots allegedly bolt right up, as well as any other brake on the platform (bonus: you can also put Mazda3 hubs/brakes in it for 5x4.5 wheel shenanigans) and all the bushings etc. but the rear sway bar design changed a few times so the best stock bar that fits is the 2012 Speed3 (<$100 from most dealers).

The hatch is less useful than say an 850 wagon but more useful than you'd think. Sparkly vampire movie references are not as big a problem as you'd think (very few people paid attention to the cars in that drivel)

If you get one from Quebec (the place they sold best on the entire continent, Montreal went absolutely nuts for them) you have to pay for a language reflash, only one language is stored in all the modules.

Strongly consider swapping the clutch/FW to a SMF if you get a manual one and drill out the clutch delay valve, those two things made the biggest improvement to the overall driving experience of all the things I've done.

Get a CAI because the stock airbox makes all maintenance suck horribly

just look at the fuckin thing

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 25, 2022

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

There was also a total facelift in 2011 but they stopped making stick shifts at the same time.

idk about the S40/V50 but you could definitely still get a C30 T5 with three pedals well into the facelift years.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 25, 2022

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the C30 is no Mercedes, but it's definitely a big step up in NVH/comfort over anything else like it. There's quite a bit of sound deadening compared to its platform-mates and the materials are much better than the Mazda in particular.

Wait, the 2.4i trim wasn't available in the US? You sure? Kind of unfortunate, but the T5 is miles better anyway. That said you could always grab one from Montreal (or elsewhere up here in Canada but srsly, there are so loving many of them in Quebec) if you're okay with/can afford shipping or a fly&drive and you really want a slower one, the NA trim had a 5spd manual that was quite popular as well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I am personally not a big fan of loving with SRS stuff because of the safety/liability angle. Particularly when the difference is little more than an extra little badge at the bottom (and maybe some stitching?). It is just a little rubber flap but they have almost certainly changed the design of the bag (or one would hope, if it's a recall) and the design of the cover may interact differently with the internals of it. Do the recall and don't look back.

I have done some highly questionable things but airbag mods are haram.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Has it ever had a repair that required pulling door cards? Does it live in a garage or outside? A lot of the mystery water ingress issues I've diag'd have been failed or poorly installed vapor barriers or clogged door cavity drains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

RockAuto says there's direct fit replacements for all 4 of the cats on that car, so it's just a matter of finding a competent muffler shop willing to source them (or ordering them off Rock and taking them to a shop, but I'd recommend having them try and then offering to bring them in yourself if they get stumped because rolling up to a shop with your own parts right off the hop is a terrible idea). You only need OEM or CARB approved cats if you plan on living in Cali/Colorado/Maine/NY, aftermarket stuff is totally fine.