Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Sviatoslav posted:

Hmmm, I'll have to figure out how to clean that... as I've never done it. Welp, I'm changing my oil this weekend anyway so I'll have to figure this out.

A blown rear main has had me scared shitless since I bought the car last July. Nothing really to worry about, just when I got the car everyone told me "Oh sure its a loving tank, will last forever...... oh by the way a bad PCV to a rear main will make your life a living hell" so I've been super nervous about it, seeing as life likes to make things hell for me.
They are probably not suggesting replacing the entire pcv system. There is howerever a small valve attached to the intake hose right before it enters the turbo that often gets clogged. It's a little bit of a pain to get to, but not nearly as bad as doing the pcv system.

It's in this writeup at step 10

http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

I only learned about this after I redid my whole pcv system when all I would have had to do was clean out that nipple.

edit: My 850 handles great. Maybe I'm crazy, but I've driven both 200s and 700s and I much prefer the ride of the 850. The only thing I just can't stand is the terrible turning radius.

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

as halfway crooks posted:

I love FCP too, but radiators are a bad part to try to save $50 or so on aftermarket vs. OEM.

Check out these pics: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/131632-why-its-oem-or-nothing/page__pid__1758857__st__0&#entry1758857

Some more discussion of aftermarket radiators: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/131348-98-v70-auto-which-radiator-to-buy/

Also, my favorite aftermarket parts picture:

Zip ties? Really?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Is there a decent writeup for removing the window regulator from a volvo 850? I can't find one anywhere and I'm afraid of damaging something.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Nothing? Really? Are they that good? :v:
Check for a clogged pcv valve (steam coming out of dipstick), that's normally what causes a bad rms. If it's a wagon, look for the tailgate rattle. Uhhh... that's probably it, really.

Hooray, pictures of my 850 autocrossing!

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

ch1mp posted:

I have zero knowledge of what dimensions/bolt pattern a wheel needs to fit a 240 (or any car for that matter). Any recommendations on a specific wheel that would fit and where to get it? I'd prefer something that looked more classic than go-fast. Same with tire size, I have no idea on would be a suitable size tire/wheel combo.
It's 5x108 with a 25mm offset stock. You should be able to fit any wheel from a 200 or 700 series

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Welp, I'm sold.
That doesn't mean don't look for the usual stuff, that's pretty much all the 850 related stuff though.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

So I am told I need a new ac compressor, and was quoted 800 bucks. How hard is this to do on an 850? I've never worked on an ac system before.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Okay, I looked at the haynes manual, it's saying that I need to remove the radiator and I assume the intercooler. It doesn't look toooo hard. Is this one of those things where I'm going to need oem parts or is a remanned one ok?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

PREVIOUS OWNERS :argh:

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

I couldn't find a writeup but there is probably one on swedespeed somewhere. The problem is generally caused by an unmaintained pcv system. Make sure you clean that out when you're supposed to and you'll most likely be fine.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Though the pcv system is a pain in the rear end too. Good luck!

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

iv46vi posted:

I would greatly appreciated any guidance on this '94 850 with stick shift:

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Car_details/HAMILTON_Ontario_1994_VOLVO_850_1513410.html?srcID=19&frnID=2217145&prv=Ontario&r=40

240 km == 150 miles

Body seems fine, other than the obvious damage, the rear gate doesn't lock.

Haven't driven it, since my manual-fu is old, but is seems to shift fine.

There's what seems to be a ticking sound from the engine, the oil dipstick has brown crud stuck on the bottom part, hole in the air intake hose fixed with tape. When the engine is running, there is a white steam coming out of the dipstick hole that smells of exhaust.

How suitable is this for a DD/learn to wrench on car?
At the very least, you're going to need to clean/replace the pcv system. That's what the steam coming out of the dipstick is.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

I'd be willing to bet he didn't replace the pcv correctly. If he has... then it might be a head gasket problem? If the dipstick is steaming then the moisture has to be coming from somewhere.

Personally, I'd pass on that car, if the engine is ticking it could be a bad valve. though it could be a noisy fuel injector or an exhaust gasket.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Does anyone happen to have a spare columbia wheel in the Raleigh area? I hit a pothole this morning and cracked a rim. I am having some trouble finding a replacement nearby.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Give us a photo? Dunno where my link to the list of Volvo wheel names is. Might be able to find one for you.

e: maybe I can do my own research :effort:

Looks like it's from the 1998 to 2000 s70 only? There's a pair of s70s in the yard I'm hitting for Money Walrus, I'll see if they haven't been raped for rimzzz yet.

It'll run I think $32 (and shipping, Raleigh's almost local but still a couple hours); it goes without saying that it's worth the money if it's pristine, but would you want one that's scuffed but functional?

e2: holy poo poo, I like both of these, for opposite reasons: ("Volans" and a no-name, anybody know what that's called?)

I would paint the center sprocket of the second one so matte black oh god.

They were also available on 850 turbos I believe. If you can find that wheel I could probably come pick it up, or overnight it. I'm going to check at lkq tomorrow, but I can't find anywhere else that might have one closer than winston salem.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Cruise the swedespeed classifieds, they have a dedicated wheel section that a) lists a lot of the Volvo wheels and b) frequently has nice sets of wheels for sale. I think there's a set of Volans on there right now.
Yeah, I'm looking pretty much everywhere, I'm sorta trying to have my car up and running by monday though, and I'd rather not buy 4 wheels.

edit: alright, looks like I've got a replacement lined up, thanks!

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 22, 2010

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Does anyone know what would cause a flashing overdrive indicator light on a 95 volvo 850? It just suddenly started after I changed the air filter, which is a little strange. Maybe I jiggled the wrong wire?

edit: and now the car won't start, great

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 29, 2010

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Nope, it's obd2
I'd take it to autozone but the frickin' thing still won't start

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

I may have bumped that switch, but I really don't know. It seems to be able to tell what gear it's in. The car is cranking but not starting. It appears to be getting fuel, it appears to be getting spark, I don't think the timing belt is off or anything. I'm pretty much at a loss here.

Edit: I ended up buying a code scanner: It's reading for that switch and the throttle position sensor. I bought the switch and will replace it tomorrow, if that doesn't work I'll replace the tps. Wish me luck!

deratomicdog fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 1, 2010

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

eggcrate always looks better, no matter what the car.
chrome is evil

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

I don't know, but the previous owner attached the drivers side trim with wood screws. Hope this helps.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

I think the front end on my 850 is sagging. I assumed the springs were worn out but a friend told me it might also be my shocks. Whatcha think?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

also the poly ones tend to snap the mount if you drive it hard.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

The wife and I are looking for a station wagon for her to drive the dogs around in. We looked at an outback and a few crossovers but I think she fell in love with a newer xc70. Is there anything to look out for with these cars maintenance wise? Any models or years to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Is the PVC system the same one that plagued the 850s? I dread doing that job again.