Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

stgdz posted:

I thought it was a bad idea to have the OS drive be separate from the the share drives.

In Vail you cant have a separate drive just for the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

kri kri posted:

In Vail you cant have a separate drive just for the OS.

Do they mirror it across all the drives in the system now?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Do they mirror it across all the drives in the system now?

You can make the OS drive not part of the pool - is that what you mean?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

kri kri posted:

You can make the OS drive not part of the pool - is that what you mean?

Well on like the synologies the main OS is mirrored across every drive in the unit so if a drive fails (including the main drive) it can still function.

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
I want to turn my desktop into a NAS that can survive the loss of a single drive. The OP's articles on Drive Extender piqued my curiosity.

But I already have a license for Windows Server 2008 R2 (I'm a home user though, I don't know or know how to use most of the features). Does it have an equivalent of Drive Extender? Would there be any advantage to getting WHS?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MachinTrucChose posted:

I want to turn my desktop into a NAS that can survive the loss of a single drive. The OP's articles on Drive Extender piqued my curiosity.

But I already have a license for Windows Server 2008 R2 (I'm a home user though, I don't know or know how to use most of the features). Does it have an equivalent of Drive Extender? Would there be any advantage to getting WHS?

It does not have anything like Drive Extender. WHS is unique in that respect. I am only recommending WHS v1 because of the fact it stores all files in normal NTFS. In a situation where you have 2 failing drives WHS v2 loses all data while WHS v1 loses only the data on the 2 drives plus or minus recovery efforts. WHS v2 has no recovery software due to the way it uses disks. WHS v1 can use any of the hundreds of recovery utilities you can get for standard XP NTFS.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

You could always run Hyper-V on Server 2008 and run a VM WHS v1. There's a guide in the OP on this that would work.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I've had a Acer EasyStore for a while now, its got the stock drive and 2 1.5tb drives.

The top most bay is the only one free and I don't really want to put a new 2tb drive in the hottest part of the system. Could I swap one of the 1.5s or even the system drive to the top without breaking anything software-wize?

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 28, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jigoku San posted:

I've had a Acer EasyStore for a while now, its got the stock drive and 2 1.5tb drives.

The top most bay is the only one free and I don't really want to put a new 2tb drive in the hottest part of the system. Could I swap one of the 1.5s or even the system drive to the top without breaking anything software-wize?

I am nearly sure you can. WHS should not care which disk is plugged into which port except for the boot disk. Of course you swap them with the system turned off.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
There aren't any add-ins available for Vail yet are there? I got it all installed and am anxious to try it out.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Anyone here run the logitech slimserver for streaming music? I installed it last night on the home server but I can't figure out how to stream music from it now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I still question why MS is not allowing their prime living room media device, the 360, to be backed up along with all of the other computers in your household. There would have to be some obvious limitations to restrict piracy (although the horse is already out of the barn on that one), but it would be extremely convenient.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

EC posted:

I still question why MS is not allowing their prime living room media device, the 360, to be backed up along with all of the other computers in your household. There would have to be some obvious limitations to restrict piracy (although the horse is already out of the barn on that one), but it would be extremely convenient.

That's a great point. I only own four or five 360 games, but with my 360 only having a 20Gb Hard Drive, I can only really have one game installed on it. I'd dearly love to be able to back the others up and stream them from WHS.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Maybe I'm missing it, but how can I monitor my cpu and mobo temperatures in WHS? I built my own so my WHS console doesnt have a hardware tab under Config?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

modeski posted:

That's a great point. I only own four or five 360 games, but with my 360 only having a 20Gb Hard Drive, I can only really have one game installed on it. I'd dearly love to be able to back the others up and stream them from WHS.

I doubt they'll ever let you install retail games to anything other than the HDD. I was talking about purchased content and game saves. It would suck to lose all of my save games.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Uziel posted:

Maybe I'm missing it, but how can I monitor my cpu and mobo temperatures in WHS? I built my own so my WHS console doesnt have a hardware tab under Config?

Mine was prebuilt, so it may be different. On the top there should be a >> arrow, click that then system information and it is down on the bottom under health monitor

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

Mine was prebuilt, so it may be different. On the top there should be a >> arrow, click that then system information and it is down on the bottom under health monitor
Yeah I don't have that at all. =(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Uziel posted:

Yeah I don't have that at all. =(

Use Speccy or SPeedfan?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

kri kri posted:

Use Speccy or SPeedfan?
I hadn't heard of Speccy before. That works perfectly, thanks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have an AMD 64x2 processor I want to replace with a C2D 8400 for better transcoding for tversity. What is the safest way to transfer a WHS system? Move the system drive to start it up and then slowly add all the HDDs?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
i did that going from a via nano to a intel atom and after a huge number of reboots as it recognised the new system its been running fine ever since.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an email server on top of WHS? I'm thinking that since my WHS will be on 24/7 then I may as well use it as an email server as well, since I rather like the idea of not giving my data to third parties. I have to admit zero clue about running a mail server, but I'm game.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

modeski posted:

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an email server on top of WHS? I'm thinking that since my WHS will be on 24/7 then I may as well use it as an email server as well, since I rather like the idea of not giving my data to third parties. I have to admit zero clue about running a mail server, but I'm game.

Yes it's certainly possible, although it opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of successfully running an email server on what I'm assuming is a residential ISP (although you can certainly setup smart hosts to relay through your ISP, etc)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2010

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Yes it's certainly possible, although it opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of successfully running an email server on what I'm assuming is a residential ISP (although you can certainly setup smart hosts to relay through your ISP, etc)

Excellent. I'll look more into it over the coming months. Yeah, I figure I'll need to find an ISP that allows SMTP over port 25 (that's right, isn't it?). And I don't know what a smart host is but I'll look into those too.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

modeski posted:

Excellent. I'll look more into it over the coming months. Yeah, I figure I'll need to find an ISP that allows SMTP over port 25 (that's right, isn't it?). And I don't know what a smart host is but I'll look into those too.

If you use a smart host you can host your email on a dynamic connection with little issue (setup an auto update script for zoneedit)

I've been hosting my email that way for over 2 years now with no problems. It's not on the WHS box, its VM'ed on a server 2k8 r2 server, but it works flawlessly that way.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
So I want to build a Home Server box, but I'm limited by cash at the moment.
My idea was to build a box with 1 or 2 2TB Green drives to begin with and as more funds become available purchase more, eventually having 4 x 2TB or more.

DriveExpander seems to be able to do this beautifully. But Vail doesn't support it?

I'm comfortable with a Unix server, however are there any competitors to the DriveExpander? My understanding here is that if I build a Unix or even Server2008 box, and wanted to add in more drives later, I'd have to blow away the RAID array and rebuild it?

I love that I can just physically install a new drive, format it and add it to the disk pool with DriveExpander, but are there any alternatives? Free/OSS would be even better!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Obviously Erratic posted:

My idea was to build a box with 1 or 2 2TB Green drives to begin with and as more funds become available purchase more, eventually having 4 x 2TB or more.

DriveExpander seems to be able to do this beautifully. But Vail doesn't support it?

I'm comfortable with a Unix server, however are there any competitors to the DriveExpander? My understanding here is that if I build a Unix or even Server2008 box, and wanted to add in more drives later, I'd have to blow away the RAID array and rebuild it?

I love that I can just physically install a new drive, format it and add it to the disk pool with DriveExpander, but are there any alternatives? Free/OSS would be even better!

In WHS you can add or remove drives at will, they will be added or removed from the drive pool and you don't have to jump through any hoops to do it. Plug it in, go into the console, and select "add to drive pool" where it will be formatted and added to the array for files. Easy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mdadm (Linux) can do an in place expansion of a RAID5 set. Or if you don't care about your data you should be able to do some kind of RAID0 with pretty much anything and keep adding disks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is incorrect, Vail absolutely supports Drive Extender.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3677/windows-home-server-v2-vail-beta-drive-extender-v2-dissected

All they've done is move it from above the file system to below the file system, which has improved performance and file duplication.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

BorderPatrol posted:

This is incorrect, Vail absolutely supports Drive Extender.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3677/windows-home-server-v2-vail-beta-drive-extender-v2-dissected

All they've done is move it from above the file system to below the file system, which has improved performance and file duplication.

Bah, looks like I completely misread the changes. Thanks for the information.
Seems it'll still do what I'm after, it's a shame it's not NTFS anymore, though my guess is it won't be long before someone codes software that can read it.

I'm midway through installing Vail on some ghetto hardware to do a bit of testing before I go out and purchase the hardware.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've started having a helluva time trying to rename/move folders on my WHS box. Almost every time I try it says the folder/filename is in use, even though it's not open anywhere. This had to start relatively recently, but I haven't changed anything on my server or workstations for quite some time.

Highly loving irritating.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

EC posted:

I've started having a helluva time trying to rename/move folders on my WHS box. Almost every time I try it says the folder/filename is in use, even though it's not open anywhere. This had to start relatively recently, but I haven't changed anything on my server or workstations for quite some time.

Highly loving irritating.

I've had a ton of problems with my local machine updating thumbs.db for music/picture/movie folders. I usually just move on and come back to those. Very annoying but nothing you can really do about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

gariig posted:

I've had a ton of problems with my local machine updating thumbs.db for music/picture/movie folders. I usually just move on and come back to those. Very annoying but nothing you can really do about it.

Disable thumbnail generation. I've been doing lots of file management with videos and the like recently and I couldn't take the constant file in use errors.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
All four of the hard drives in my WHS started failing simultaneously. I don't think I've lost any data yet due to folder duplication, but there's no way this is just a coincidence. What could have possibly happened to my WHS?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Stutes posted:

All four of the hard drives in my WHS started failing simultaneously. I don't think I've lost any data yet due to folder duplication, but there's no way this is just a coincidence. What could have possibly happened to my WHS?

Sounds like hardware to me - are the drives defintely bad, or is WHS just saying they're failing? You could have a disk controller making GBS threads the bed. Also, a hosed-up power supply can be REALLY hard on disk drives.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

JnnyThndrs posted:

Sounds like hardware to me - are the drives defintely bad, or is WHS just saying they're failing? You could have a disk controller making GBS threads the bed. Also, a hosed-up power supply can be REALLY hard on disk drives.
WHS is reporting bad sectors and CRC errors on random files even after I replaced the system drive/reinstalled, and the drives all fail their manufacturer's diagnostics (SeaTools/Data Lifeguard). I don't think it's a controller issue since two of the drives are running off the mobo and two are running off of a PCI card. Fortunately 3/4 drives are still under warranty, and I was able pick up a Seagate 2TB drive this weekend for ~$90.

I'm guessing there's no simple way of testing a power supply?

Stutes fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 13, 2010

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeesh, that *is* an odd problem, especially with two different controllers.

Personally, I'd probably go out and replace the PS, just for shits and giggles. They're not horribly expensive, even for a good one, and testing them for weird transient voltage issues isn't worth the effort. Also, it might be worth it to run a good UPS, they'll take care of any voltage oddities coming in from the line.

I read an interesting column from the editor of Maximum PC - he said that PC's on one side of their testlab had an amazingly high rate of disk drive failures compared to the other side, but it took a year for someone to notice that the failures were confined to one area. Ended up being a power issue in the building.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So is it possible to have user specific shared folders? Like the client runs and logs them into WHS and then the shared network folder they see is just their stuff not anyone elses?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sweeper posted:

So is it possible to have user specific shared folders? Like the client runs and logs them into WHS and then the shared network folder they see is just their stuff not anyone elses?

Every user you create via the console will automatically have their own folder in the Users share. Default permissions are setup so that only the admin and that user can access it, I believe, but you can change that if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

Every user you create via the console will automatically have their own folder in the Users share. Default permissions are setup so that only the admin and that user can access it, I believe, but you can change that if you want.
That's exactly how I want it! Can I also create a folder that everyone has permission to see? So like this structure:

-Root
--User1
---User1Data
--User2
---User2Data
--Public
---PublicData

I want people to be able to back up their computers to the server, but not have everyone see all of the files and give them some private storage room. Then have media files be in the public folder.

Also, how are the MediaSmart servers? Would it be better to roll my own or does it not really matter? Pricewise how close would it be, I'm looking for ~5-6TB of space in the server.

• Locked thread