Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm thinking (always thinking!) about rebuilding my server. Again. I'm looking at this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005 Which will hold 10 HDDs just fine and I can probably put my Coolermaster 4in3 bay in it as well. I know it's expensive as hell, but We Got Served loved it and I love, love the style.

What do y'all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

EC posted:

I'm thinking (always thinking!) about rebuilding my server. Again. I'm looking at this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005 Which will hold 10 HDDs just fine and I can probably put my Coolermaster 4in3 bay in it as well. I know it's expensive as hell, but We Got Served loved it and I love, love the style.

What do y'all think?
I've got a Fractal Design-case, albeit not the same model, but fwiw mine is just awesome. Buy!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

EC posted:

What do y'all think?

For half the price you could get something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My setup doesn't really work with a case like that, I'd rather a vertical case (or whatever it's called).

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Anybody who has been considering other platforms should give a Linux box with Greyhole a try. In its default configuration it acts just like Windows Home Server v1's DE (and you can even use your DE drives with it untouched, though slowly through NTFS-3G) but the configuration options are immense.

It works through Samba, so just like WHS DE you have to mount the SMB share even to use it locally, but unlike WHS you can still use the disks for non-pool data and you can add data to the pool drives directly when migrating in to it (just fsck the pool after the files are copied).

I sat back and watched this project for quite some time and I'm glad I finally went for it.

I can attest for greyholes greatness. I'm running a 26 disk, 44TB pool setup with it, and it's been nothing but awesome

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scuttle_SE posted:

I can attest for greyholes greatness. I'm running a 26 disk, 44TB pool setup with it, and it's been nothing but awesome

Holy moly that is a lot of disks. Can you give any more information about your setup, how it works, redundancy, etc?

EvilBert
Oct 26, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Any verdict out there yet which way to go: Drive Bender or Drivepool?

The system drive on my WHS 1 Box is starting to act up after 5 years and I want to upgrade but definitely not without drive pooling...

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

EvilBert posted:

The system drive on my WHS 1 Box is starting to act up after 5 years and I want to upgrade but definitely not without drive pooling...

I've been using Drive Bender and haven't had any problems. They just released RC1 and I bought myself a license this morning. I think they've done a great job with development and have been quick to respond to issues. No complaints here.

Haven't heard anything bad about Drivepool either, but haven't used it myself.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EvilBert posted:

I use drivepool, and with the added performance features I like it even more.

Qutius how much was the drive bender license?

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Holy moly that is a lot of disks. Can you give any more information about your setup, how it works, redundancy, etc?

Nothing complicated really. It started out as a WHSv1 server, but when bigger drives and newer controller cards came along and the 2003 Server base started to get really cumbersome to work with I started to look at Linux alternatives.

The motherboard is a Asus P5Q Premium with 4 gigs of ram
I have four extra controller-cards with 2, 4, 8 and 8 extra ports.
I don't do any raid, just using them as plain SATA-connectors. Any redundancy is taken care of in greyhole.

A greyhole --stats looks like this:

code:
root@server:~# greyhole --stats

Greyhole Statistics
===================

Storage Pool
                                   Total -   Used =   Free +  Trash = Possible
  /greyhole/pool/disk-01/gh-pool:  1834G -   843G =   898G +     0G =   898G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-02/gh-pool:  1834G -  1627G =   113G +     0G =   113G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-03/gh-pool:  1834G -  1630G =   110G +     0G =   110G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-04/gh-pool:  1834G -  1623G =   118G +     0G =   118G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-05/gh-pool:  1834G -  1621G =   120G +     0G =   120G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-06/gh-pool:  1375G -  1198G =   108G +     0G =   108G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-07/gh-pool:  1834G -  1625G =   115G +     0G =   115G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-08/gh-pool:  1375G -   592G =   714G +     0G =   714G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-10/gh-pool:  1375G -  1187G =   118G +     0G =   118G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-11/gh-pool:  1375G -  1197G =   108G +     0G =   108G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-12/gh-pool:  1375G -  1194G =   112G +     0G =   112G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-13/gh-pool:  1375G -  1189G =   117G +     0G =   117G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-14/gh-pool:  1834G -  1005G =   735G +     0G =   735G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-15/gh-pool:  1375G -  1187G =   119G +     0G =   119G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-16/gh-pool:  1834G -  1665G =    76G +     0G =    76G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-17/gh-pool:  1834G -  1606G =   135G +     0G =   135G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-18/gh-pool:  1834G -  1618G =   122G +     0G =   122G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-19/gh-pool:  1834G -  1009G =   732G +     0G =   732G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-20/gh-pool:  1375G -  1195G =   110G +     0G =   110G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-21/gh-pool:  1834G -   831G =   910G +     0G =   910G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-22/gh-pool:  1834G -  1665G =    75G +     0G =    75G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-23/gh-pool:  1834G -  1660G =    81G +     0G =    81G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-24/gh-pool:  1834G -  1664G =    77G +     0G =    77G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-25/gh-pool:  1375G -   735G =   571G +     0G =   571G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-26/gh-pool:  1834G -   831G =   910G +     0G =   910G
  /greyhole/pool/disk-27/gh-pool:  1834G -   831G =   910G +     0G =   910G
                                  ==========================================
  Total:                          43552G - 33027G =  8313G +     0G =  8313G
I then have a bunch of SMB-shares for video, pictures, music and whatever. If I want any of those shares duplicated, I just tell greyhole to put the files on two, or more different physical disks.

There is nothing really complicated about it. Sure, you have to know at least a little bit about Linux to get everything up and running smoothly, but once you do, there is nothing to it.

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!
Does anyone know if they are coming out with a GUI or at least a more user friendly version of Greyhole? Last time I tried to set it up I just gave up because all the documentation makes it seem so complex to setup.

That is one thing that was really awesome about WHS is that the drive pooling was easy and worked well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kri kri posted:

Qutius how much was the drive bender license?

It's only $20 for beta testers

quote:

Drive Bender release candidate 1 has just been launched. This is a milestone event as it represents the end of the beta program.

First and foremost, a big thanks to all those that have been involved with Drive Bender’s development. Without the efforts of all concerned, development of a product such as this would not be possible.

Here are the release notes for RC1

Release v1.2.0.0 release candidate 1 (2011-10-04)
- Update: New user interface for both the Windows and WHS clients.
- Bug fix: Balancing operations could create a locking issue if there was a file / folder rename or delete request.
- Update: All drives are now checked at start up and an alert is raised if there is one or more drives missing from the pool.
- Update: Drive letter management is now fully implemented (this automatically removes and adds drive letters to drives added and removed from the pool).
- Update: Improvements to adding, removing and merging of drives.
- Bug fix: Improved duplication when enabled on existing folder.
- Update: Orphaned Drive Bender temp files are now cleaned up.
- Bug fix: Logging no longer stops when there are a large number of entries.
- Bug fix: Installation of blank license key is no longer allowed.
- Known issue: Documentation was omitted from this release due to time constraints. This will be supplied in RC2.
- Known issue: The unmanaged pool mode is disabled. Because of the "feature freeze" for RC1, this is still incomplete.

Finally as promised, we have started the Drive Bender pre-release sale for those users that are members of the beta program. This sale will run until the final release date of Drive Bender, at which time the discounted pricing will end. The pre-release sale price is only $20 USD… so you need to be quick. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, head to the download page (http://www.drivebender.com/beta-download/) and click on the link provided.

You can download the latest version from http://www.drivebender.com/beta-download/

If you need support with Drive Bender, or have some feedback you would like to share,you can either email us at support@drivebender.com or visit the Drive Bender support site at http://support.drivebender.com

For regular updates on Drive Bender's on going development, please follow us on twitter at @drivebender

Thanks.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

FCKGW posted:

It's only $20 for beta testers

Yup, 20 bucks.

I wonder about the performance difference between the two products, but so far I haven't really had any issues with what I do.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

valinhorn posted:

Does anyone know if they are coming out with a GUI or at least a more user friendly version of Greyhole? Last time I tried to set it up I just gave up because all the documentation makes it seem so complex to setup.

That is one thing that was really awesome about WHS is that the drive pooling was easy and worked well.

There is a web interface, though it seems that it might not be up-to-date. Otherwise, Amahi is a WHS-like "appliance" distro that uses Greyhole in the background and gives it a decent looking UI.

I'm just on straight Ubuntu right now installed from the repository. It wasn't really hard. Enable repo, install package, make a "landing zone", copy/paste the Samba config from the docs and modify to match my landing zone, add a few drives to greyhole.conf, restart Samba, and it's all there. It's certainly not WHS level easy, but if you can get around a Linux terminal at all you shouldn't have any problems.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
If you need any help, pop into #greyhole on irc.freenode.net, the author, and other greyhole-users hang out there.

MeestarK
Aug 12, 2004
Its cold outside
So after a my MB died in my DIY WHS v1 box, I just received my RMA MB and now have found my WHS has taken a poo poo and needs a complete rebuild - I really can't decide on whether or not to go to v2 since I need to do a complete data transfer anyways, or just stick with V1. My main uses are centralized backups and managing a relatively large video library (which was why DE was great for me).

Posters above have mentioned they each like their respective DE replacements, but what I'm more curious are what are the cons you've found with Drivepool and Drive Bender? I don't care about spending money on software, I just want ease of use and no issues streaming 1080p content to my HTPCs.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

MeestarK posted:

Posters above have mentioned they each like their respective DE replacements, but what I'm more curious are what are the cons you've found with Drivepool and Drive Bender? I don't care about spending money on software, I just want ease of use and no issues streaming 1080p content to my HTPCs.

I'm using Drive Bender - the only time I ever have issues with streaming 1080p content is when the system is doing something like moving a completed download into the pool or some other disk intensive background task. It's pretty rare and streaming Just Works otherwise.

Now that DB is this far along in development, ease of use is there too. Drivepool seems the same way, everything is integrated into the WHS Dashboard.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting ready to upgrade my WHS box to WHS2011. Since I'll be using the same hardware, I wanted to make sure that my plan for upgrading will work.

I have enough free space to remove one of the 1 TB drives from the existing drive pool. My plan is to disconnect all of the drives and install on a fresh system drive and the existing 1 TB drive. I'll install either Drive Bender or Drivepool. Then I should be able to add the drives back in one by one, copying the data to the drive pool.

Any issues I'm not seeing? Or perhaps a better way?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I have a question maybe one of you can answer.

I have my WHS connected to my router, which in turn my TV is also connected to my router. I like to play files from the WHS onto my TV. It usually works fine and dandy, except some files like to give me problems. The problem is that it plays for some amount of time, then freezes, and gives me a "disconnected from source" error. I can immediately open back up the server from my TV and resume play from the same spot and it plays for a little while again with the same error popping up on me. The timing is sporadic. Sometimes it happens in 5 minutes, sometimes it can play for 15 minutes. Any ideas?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have a question maybe one of you can answer.

I have my WHS connected to my router, which in turn my TV is also connected to my router. I like to play files from the WHS onto my TV. It usually works fine and dandy, except some files like to give me problems. The problem is that it plays for some amount of time, then freezes, and gives me a "disconnected from source" error. I can immediately open back up the server from my TV and resume play from the same spot and it plays for a little while again with the same error popping up on me. The timing is sporadic. Sometimes it happens in 5 minutes, sometimes it can play for 15 minutes. Any ideas?

This sounds like an issue a friend of mine had with his PVR. It didn't like AVIs - or some AVIs, only like your problem, it would often play them for a few minutes before crashing.

I would take note of what files are playing when the disconnect happens and see if a pattern emerges. It might be just a matter of having to transcode some files.

modeski fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 8, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
gently caress one of my 2tb drives is showing up as 0gb in the BIOS. :(

We were right at the end of a season of Doctor Who, too. Goddamit.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hard drive came back to life after a full power off and reboot, but not a warm restart. Weird. Scary weird.

I can't wait to rebuild my server on something more reliable. I know WHS wasn't at fault with the drive issue, but I'm still battling regular file conflicts even though I've done almost everything I know how to do. I even have two 2tb drives that I'm not using that are meant for a new build.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard/CPU/RAM combo for a new server? It's not going to be doing much transcoding, instead just streaming files across the network (gigabit, if it matters). I also run the usual background services: SAB, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, Eyefi, Growl, etc.

Any hints on what people are using to replace WHS would be nice as well. I know there's been chatter about WHS2011 and using third parties to replace Drive Extender, I'm just curious as to how that's working out for everyone, or if there's better alternatives out there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone upgraded their HP EX485/EX487 to WHS 2011? Just curious to get people's impression of how everything works...

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Do you guys think it's safe to have a corsair h80 in an always on server? I'm looking to get one of the 95watt FX series cpus for on the fly reencoding.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The_Frag_Man posted:

Do you guys think it's safe to have a corsair h80 in an always on server? I'm looking to get one of the 95watt FX series cpus for on the fly reencoding.

Massive overkill but sure should be safe.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
So iTunes 10.5 broke DAAP with firefly media. It was fixed in mt-daapd but it seems nobody does a compiled version for windows. Anyone know of a fix or another app that I can run on my WHS box that works with iTunes?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys,

I upgraded the ram in my whs machine from 8 gig to 16 gig.

In the system properties window it shows 16 gig is installed but only 8 gig is useable.

Why is this? How do I get it to use all the ram?

Edit: It apparently is a purposeful limitation. I wonder if theres a way around this. Seems pretty dumb to me.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 23, 2011

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

What do you need 16gb of ram for in a whs box? I run 4gb on a 32tb whs box, use xbmc on it, among other things with no problem.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't really need it, but Microsoft don't really need to tell me I can't use all my ram either.

Here is an interesting link about it:
http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Welcome to market segregation, maybe you've noticed how there's a windows 7 home and home premium? I believe windows SBS will let you use all your ram.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't really need it, but Microsoft don't really need to tell me I can't use all my ram either.

Whaaaaa? Holy poo poo! bastards!

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Through the MSDNAA program I've been able to replace my WHSv1 OS with Windows Server 2008 r2.

The original shares are viewable on the WHS data drives, and I can see the .dat files from the backups. The issue is, I can't open the .dat files to get any bulk data from those backups.

Is there any way to open the backup files? I've googled around and can't find much information other than reinstalling WHS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The_Frag_Man posted:

This idiot is full of :tinfoil:.

MS doesn't give a flying assfuck about how much RAM you're using, and the RAM constraints of a 32-bit OS(all of them, not just Windows) have been well-documented forever. It doesn't even make any sense on any level, 64-bit Windows isn't any more expensive than 32-bit.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

JnnyThndrs posted:

This idiot is full of :tinfoil:.

MS doesn't give a flying assfuck about how much RAM you're using, and the RAM constraints of a 32-bit OS(all of them, not just Windows) have been well-documented forever. It doesn't even make any sense on any level, 64-bit Windows isn't any more expensive than 32-bit.

He's talking about PAE and windows. Microsoft does care about how much RAM you're using or else they wouldn't limit how much ram windows could use. Try sticking 16GB into windows 7 home basic and see what happens.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Longinus00 posted:

He's talking about PAE and windows. Microsoft does care about how much RAM you're using or else they wouldn't limit how much ram windows could use. Try sticking 16GB into windows 7 home basic and see what happens.

My bad, I forgot about that gimped version, but doesn't Home Basic only come on low-end netbooks and such that don't have the capability of more than 2 or 4 gig anyway? Even the $399 Best Buy cheap boxes have Home Premium. As for PAE, that's a huge can of worms for a home Windows OS in terms of drivers and I don't blame MS at all for avoiding it entirely.

The author of this link is still a goddamn nutjob.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Why would you want to use 32-bit Windows anyway? Unless you live in a world of 16-bit applications that absolutely must to run natively, I'm not sure why you'd gimp your hardware that way. Guy is definitely crazy.

I thought the reason why PAE wasn't enabled for system/application addressing in home versions (as opposed to server) of 32-bit Windows was because of possibly misbehaving drivers. How relevant that is, who knows.

But it doesn't really matter anymore..

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So I read a lot of this tread and just had a general question, as someone looking to get a media server but does not want to get bogged down in a lot o technical detail software or hardware wise would you all recommend just buying the latest HP Media Server? Or a different line of pre packaged servers?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Scrotos posted:

So I read a lot of this tread and just had a general question, as someone looking to get a media server but does not want to get bogged down in a lot o technical detail software or hardware wise would you all recommend just buying the latest HP Media Server? Or a different line of pre packaged servers?

HP or Acer, both are decent products and WHS2011 is stupid simple to setup and maintain

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Nebulis01 posted:

HP or Acer, both are decent products and WHS2011 is stupid simple to setup and maintain

Any specific model, Amazon has the HP EX495 but it seems expensive but I can not find other models. Is this the model the group thought would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Scrotos posted:

Any specific model, Amazon has the HP EX495 but it seems expensive but I can not find other models. Is this the model the group thought would recommend?

I'd go with the Acer Revocenter currently on promo for $260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rica-_-59321016

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/revocenter

HP seems to have moved out of the home server market and switched to letting their proliant micro server series support WHS. So you'd be forced to buy a server, a copy of WHS2011, a drive and then do the install yourself.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html

• Locked thread