Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there any reason there are basically no 2011 boxes from manufacturers?

In latest updates, my Drivepool install I have had since they basically brought it out is running along great. Looking forward to m4 a lot, should be a good update. I don't have any complains about the product at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My father in law brought over his HP 475 for me to "redo". He brought along all the discs for server recovery and what-not, but none of them will run on my 64bit Win7 machine. He also brought over 2x 2TB drives that he can't seem to get working.

After booting the server up and logging into it, I don't really see anything wrong with it. It seems to be working fine, except that it simply refuses to detect the 2TB drives. They are the WD Caviar Green drives (I set the 7-8 jumper already), but the initialization lights don't even come on. Is there something I need to do to activate the drives? Looking at the docs on the HP site seems like it should just be plug it in and go.

I really wish this thing had a vga port on the back of it, it would make troubleshooting stuff like this much easier. :(

Edit: it's definitely drive bays 3 and 4. If I put the working 1tb in bay 3 it disappears, and the 2tb drives show up in bay 2. Can't find anything on Google about this, though. :\

EC fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 31, 2011

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Nebulis01 posted:

I'd go with the Acer Revocenter currently on promo for $260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rica-_-59321016

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/revocenter

HP seems to have moved out of the home server market and switched to letting their proliant micro server series support WHS. So you'd be forced to buy a server, a copy of WHS2011, a drive and then do the install yourself.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html

Thanks. I will read some reviews of that Acer model, but it seems like what I wanted.

edit: Clarification so I can install PS3 Media Sever on to this Acer system?

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 31, 2011

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nebulis01 posted:

HP seems to have moved out of the home server market and switched to letting their proliant micro server series support WHS. So you'd be forced to buy a server, a copy of WHS2011, a drive and then do the install yourself.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html

This is good hardware though. Newegg has run bundles on this + WHS 2011 in the past, but WHS 2011 is pretty cheap on OEM form.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

Is there any reason there are basically no 2011 boxes from manufacturers?

In latest updates, my Drivepool install I have had since they basically brought it out is running along great. Looking forward to m4 a lot, should be a good update. I don't have any complains about the product at all.

What about DriveBender? I'm seriously considering just purchasing that because it's in a more "final" state. However, I still have time because I haven't even purchased equipment necessary for a WHS overhaul.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Maneki Neko posted:

This is good hardware though. Newegg has run bundles on this + WHS 2011 in the past, but WHS 2011 is pretty cheap on OEM form.

It's great hardware, enterprise level support too. You can get a 4hr mission critical 5 year warranty on that box :)

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

Nebulis01 posted:

It's great hardware, enterprise level support too. You can get a 4hr mission critical 5 year warranty on that box :)

And it's also an awesome little enthusiast box!
Shove 8GB RAM, either ECC or non-ECC DDR3 in it, USB port on the motherboard, eSATA port at the back (not port multiplying)
Can also fit 6 3.5" drives in it with little fuss and a 2.5" for OS or ZFS cache etc.
Love it!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

What about DriveBender? I'm seriously considering just purchasing that because it's in a more "final" state. However, I still have time because I haven't even purchased equipment necessary for a WHS overhaul.

I used Drive bender back when I was deciding what to use, and the interface was not nearly as nice or streamlined as Drivepool. I have not followed their development though so I am not sure if it has been improved. Drivepool is pretty dead simple now, and the M4 release soon will hopefully improve performance quite a bit.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Cross-posting this with the Win8 thread:

kapinga posted:

There's a new B8 blog post out on "Storage Spaces":
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx

Basically, it's the NTFS implementation of "Drive Extender" from WHSv1. Combine many disks into a single pool, into which you can place mirrored or parity-ed virtual drives of arbitrary size. Use any kind of disk you want, and replace drives/expand capacity any time you want.

If it works as advertised, this is MS's answer to ZFS, I believe.

I don't know what the future of WHS as a platform is, but if it exists this feature will be present.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 6, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

kapinga posted:

Cross-posting this with the Win8 thread:

I don't know what the future of WHS as a platform is, but if it exists this feature will be present.

That reads to be much more of an answer to drobo than it is to zfs.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Longinus00 posted:

That reads to be much more of an answer to drobo than it is to zfs.

Fair enough, but it's also pretty much everything MS said they'd deliver in Drive Extender WHSv2, afaict.

I'll take back the ZFS comment though, because you're right there's more to ZFS than what is being offered here.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That's awesome! When I W8 out anyway? I haven't been following development at all. I'd much rather keep a Win server than have to learn something completely new.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

That's awesome! When I W8 out anyway? I haven't been following development at all. I'd much rather keep a Win server than have to learn something completely new.

In theory it should be out in Aug/Sept of this year, in time to do well for the Christmas season.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Nebulis01 posted:

In theory it should be out in Aug/Sept of this year, in time to do well for the Christmas season.

Although, with the beta not out for ~1 more month, I would bet it's going to be a lot closer to Christmas than that. This is a bigger release than Windows 7, architecturally, so I expect more to go wrong between beta and RTM.

For reference, the Win7 beta came out right about now in 2009, hit RTM in July, and retail in late October 2009.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Is there a good way to migrate away from WS2003-based WHS and Drive Extender to WHS2011, or even to anything else?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Is there a good way to migrate away from WS2003-based WHS and Drive Extender to WHS2011, or even to anything else?

I migrated from WHS v1 to 2011 and Drivepool. What questions do you have? I set up a new server, so I just did each disk 1 by 1. Feel free to PM or IM me.

That is huge news about storage spaces, I expected as much. I would imagine they will still have a Home Server product rather then rolling the client backup and remote connection into the desktop client.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 6, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I set up a WHSv1 box for my mother, which is vastly underutilized. I'm looking for the most painless way to move the 20 GB of actual data and optionally the ~75 GB of backups from the machine into something a bit more modern and manageable. Ideally another education license of Server 2008 R2 so I can mess with multi-site AD management, but really anything that can take a decent antivirus so I don't have to manually log on and update/run MalwareBytes all the time.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Drivepool m4 is up for testing, I am considering trying it. I feel bad for this dude though, the new Spaces thing is going to kill his company.

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/338/drivepool-beta-m4-migration-test

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
He just took it down. I just finished installing my server, should I grab M3 for now and upgrade later? Or should I wait for M4 to come back?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would wait, he said he is fixing a rename issue and will post another build in a few days. I am holding off until he posts a public build I think.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
M4 is back up and I downloaded and installed build 5449. I've got two 3TB drives in my server for now. One of the drives has about 2.5TB of movies on it that I obviously don't want to lose. If I make a pool now out of the two drives, will I lose that data? What I want is to make a new pool out of the two drives without anything happening to the existing data on drive 1.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Jesus Christ I don't know how the gently caress anyone is using WHS 2011 at this point. I suppose most people don't have the same configuration as me, but I'll give an explanation.

I just did a complete wipe and re-install from scratch so that my server is configured as follows:

2 drives in a RAID 1 array using a Sil3132 controller card
-> Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 Server R2 w/SP1 is installed on this array and I have a virtual machine on top of that running WHS 2011 (the WHS OS is in a .vhd)

1 out of 4 1.5TB drives configured through the Hyper-V server to have direct I/O access to the WHS 2011 virtual machine (the other 3 aren't configured yet for testing/experimentation reasons)

On the WHS I have Stablebit DrivePool installed and configured with some folders in the pool. I had tried DriveBender previously but wasn't impressed so I wiped and started over with a fresh WHS 2011 virtual machine installation. After that is when I decided to try DrivePool. Only tonight after everything was working great did I enable the "Computer Browser" service so hopefully my WDTV Live Plus will actually see the drat shares on the WHS 2011 server. Never had this problem with the original WHS. After I enabled that service I did a reboot on the WHS 2011 server. When it came back up, all of the custom shared folders I had created for the pool just magically vanished. Fortunately I was able to recreate the missing folders and see the content from the folders magically reappear. None of the original data had been erased, only for some bizarre reason did the custom pool shared folders themselves disappear like a fart in the wind.

I'm starting to think this whole having to use 3rd party solutions for DE on WHS 2011 is a giant loving nightmare waiting to happen. I want to use WHS 2011, but at the same time the 3rd party solutions out there to substitute DE are really questionable in their current states.

Hell I don't even know where to begin reporting an issue like this to the developer of StableBit DrivePool. Maybe he/she can help?

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 21, 2012

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm hoping that MS works the new Win8 Storage Spaces feature into the next version of WHS. If/when they do, I'll ditch my install of WHS v1 and migrate to that. For now, sticking with v1, because it just works.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'll be using Storage Spaces if/when it comes out. For now my WHS build kind of started acting up so I dismantled it and put my HDs in my main workstation.. waiting for Windows 8.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Suniikaa posted:

So iTunes 10.5 broke DAAP with firefly media. It was fixed in mt-daapd but it seems nobody does a compiled version for windows. Anyone know of a fix or another app that I can run on my WHS box that works with iTunes?

Anyone? Not having a way to stream my tunes is kind of lovely :(

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What are the rough steps I should follow to migrate my whs machine into a vm on a hyper-v install on the same hardware? I don't really know what I need to do to do this smoothly. I don't mind buying another disk to run the hyper-v install.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Report problems here

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/16/reporting-a-problem-with-drivepool

I have reported issues and they have responded within 24 hours or so.

I just hope that Storage Spaces doesn't make the developer just abandon this project. I totally get that its not ideal to run a 3rd party thing but I mean my poo poo is just media so its not that important. All of my crucial stuff is stored ~on the cloud~ so I can deal with troubleshooting my server. The only issue I can think of having within the last 6 months or more is my boxee box not getting a full listing of the files in my directory, and when I looked for a new build there was one with a fix.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

Report problems here

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/16/reporting-a-problem-with-drivepool

I have reported issues and they have responded within 24 hours or so.

I just hope that Storage Spaces doesn't make the developer just abandon this project. I totally get that its not ideal to run a 3rd party thing but I mean my poo poo is just media so its not that important. All of my crucial stuff is stored ~on the cloud~ so I can deal with troubleshooting my server. The only issue I can think of having within the last 6 months or more is my boxee box not getting a full listing of the files in my directory, and when I looked for a new build there was one with a fix.

Thanks. After browsing the forum it looks like it's a known issue that the developer is working on to resolve. Others are reporting their shared folders randomly disappearing upon reboot of the WHS.

Now though I just had a different and completely bizarre issue. After having to recreate a shared folder, I completed recreating one of them. Shortly after doing so, the CPU usage spiked to 100% and even after completing the folder recreation, the usage remained at 100%. I couldn't do anything. I've just rebooted the server again and it appears to have returned to normal. I'm starting to believe WHS 2011 should have never made it out the front door in its current state.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I'm starting to believe WHS 2011 should have never made it out the front door in its current state.

To be fair, you are running a third-party storage abstraction layer on top of WHS. I was a die-hard WHSv1 zealot, and I upgraded to 2011 mainly for the remote access improvements. I have been running the same stock install for a long time and it's been remarkably stable.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

To be fair, you are running a third-party storage abstraction layer on top of WHS. I was a die-hard WHSv1 zealot, and I upgraded to 2011 mainly for the remote access improvements. I have been running the same stock install for a long time and it's been remarkably stable.

WHS2011 has been great for me. I have a raid card and array so I do not need the drive pooling. The backup system has been flawless for the few times I have done restores, and the OS itself has been stable considering I am running a zillion extra services on it for serving up content. I mean it is just server 2008r2 with a backup system and website on it.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

Yes, I know. I can blame a fair share of problems on the third party drive pooling system. However, since I've been messing around with configuring a Hyper-V physical host and WHS virtual machine from scratch, I've created enough documentation along the way to be equally frustrated with Microsoft. My biggest issue right now is having to do a ton of tweaking and fine-tuning of WHS 2011 that I didn't have to do with the original release. I think a lot of that has to do with the architectural differences between the 2003 and 2008 code-base, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Yes, I know. I can blame a fair share of problems on the third party drive pooling system. However, since I've been messing around with configuring a Hyper-V physical host and WHS virtual machine from scratch, I've created enough documentation along the way to be equally frustrated with Microsoft. My biggest issue right now is having to do a ton of tweaking and fine-tuning of WHS 2011 that I didn't have to do with the original release. I think a lot of that has to do with the architectural differences between the 2003 and 2008 code-base, though.

Fine tuning and tweaking.. specifically?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Fine tuning and tweaking.. specifically?

I'm genuinely interested in the specifics as well. I'm probably going to move to a virtualized WHS and Win7 MC environment fairly soon.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

I'm genuinely interested in the specifics as well. I'm probably going to move to a virtualized WHS and Win7 MC environment fairly soon.

Yeah it sounds like some people are interested in a Hyper-V/WHS 2011 setup. I've taken my jumble of personal notes about the setup/configuration specific to my own environment and posted them here. Feel free to suggest any changes that might make life easier and make things work better. I eventually did get the WDTV working with WHS 2011.

All I had to do was physically cut power to all network devices and bring them back up again! (pretty much just the router and a reboot of the machines on the LAN) :negative:

At least this way you guys get an idea of how finicky things can become when it comes to creating so many variables. Add to that the ongoing issue of the Stablebit Drivepool "vanishing shared folders from the pool" problem and it's chaotic. Additionally, as useful as IPv6 may be, I did disable the protocol from being used on the WHS (but it is still enabled/unused on the Hyper-V server).

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 24, 2012

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Yeah it sounds like some people are interested in a Hyper-V/WHS 2011 setup. I've taken my jumble of personal notes about the setup/configuration specific to my own environment and posted them here. Feel free to suggest any changes that might make life easier and make things work better. I eventually did get the WDTV working with WHS 2011.

All I had to do was physically cut power to all network devices and bring them back up again! (pretty much just the router and a reboot of the machines on the LAN) :negative:

Did you try just turning on netbios? By default with server 2008 ,windows 7 netbios only turns on at first and if it doesn't detect a legacy device it turns off (which is why resetting everything probably works) which will stop file shares from showing up on the Wdtv. After I forced it to always be on my Wdtv always found my whs2011. (advanced options in IP4 settings)

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Drizzt01 posted:

Did you try just turning on netbios? By default with server 2008 ,windows 7 netbios only turns on at first and if it doesn't detect a legacy device it turns off (which is why resetting everything probably works) which will stop file shares from showing up on the Wdtv. After I forced it to always be on my Wdtv always found my whs2011. (advanced options in IP4 settings)

Doesn't seem to have had an effect. I have NetBIOS set to "Enabled" on both the Hyper-V server and WHS 2011. The shares still don't appear on the WDTV until I physically power-cycle the router. Way to go, WRT54GL w/Tomato.

On the brighter side of things, the developers at StableBit updated DrivePool with a new build that corrects the vanishing shared folders issue! :thumbsup: That's one nagging issue out of the way.

I did just get done completely clearing out the nvram and old firmware from the router (older tomato fork) and replaced it with TomatoUSB (nonUSB w/VPN support). After configuring everything from scratch in there and taking notes, I've power-cycled everything once more and so far the WDTV is seeing everything just fine. Who knows if that will stick but gently caress it, I plan on learning Mikrotik long-term anyway as a replacement.

Looks like things are still working fine. The WRT54GL has the latest TomatoUSB (nonUSB w/VPN support) firmware installed, the WHS has NetBIOS enabled and there's a static DHCP entry for the WDTV. I've had the power cut to the WDTV numerous times already and each time it's come back up, it's seeing all of the workstations and shares on the LAN just fine. It honestly could be a combination of the router firmware and NetBIOS or just the router firmware itself.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 26, 2012

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Didn't know whether to post here or the hardware questions. I've had an acer easystore with whs v1 on it for a while now. I threw in 2 more hard drives and they have also been working perfectly. Recently one of the hard drives started making a spinning noise (as loud as an old xbox 360) when it gets accessed. It only makes the sound for about 15 minutes and then goes away.

Is this something I should be worried about? If so, how do I know what drive is making the sound?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Didn't know whether to post here or the hardware questions. I've had an acer easystore with whs v1 on it for a while now. I threw in 2 more hard drives and they have also been working perfectly. Recently one of the hard drives started making a spinning noise (as loud as an old xbox 360) when it gets accessed. It only makes the sound for about 15 minutes and then goes away.

Is this something I should be worried about? If so, how do I know what drive is making the sound?

Crystaldiskinfo

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

savesthedayrocks posted:

I suggest pulling that disk asap. It will die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I don't know if anyone can or is interested in putting it in the OP of this thread, but I've updated my notes for installing & configuring Hyper-V server w/WHS 2011. Useful information for those of you interested in virtualizing WHS 2011 and playing around with Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 at the same time. Obviously some portions are specific to my environment (drivers, etc.) but you can modify that accordingly.

• Locked thread