Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Going to buy a new drive to replace a failing one. Just wanted an opinion from the group. This is on whsv1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891
129.99 + 7.86 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471
139.99 + free shipping

I want to put the old drive in an enclosure to test for failure and hopefully get an RMA replacement, so I figured if I buy the second I get a free enclosure and strip the drive out and throw it in the server to backup all my info on to while I do the process for my old drive.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

savesthedayrocks posted:

Going to buy a new drive to replace a failing one. Just wanted an opinion from the group. This is on whsv1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136891
129.99 + 7.86 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136471
139.99 + free shipping

I want to put the old drive in an enclosure to test for failure and hopefully get an RMA replacement, so I figured if I buy the second I get a free enclosure and strip the drive out and throw it in the server to backup all my info on to while I do the process for my old drive.

Thoughts?

Go with the internal drive and buy a cheap enclosure to go with it if you want to test the old one. There's a good chance that enclosure won't work with any other drives, and also a possibility that the drive in the enclosure won't have the proper SATA connections on it. Plus, if you remove the drive from the enclosure you're voiding the warranty, so you'd be out $139 if it craps out right away.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Didn't think about the warranty, good point. Thanks!

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
So I think one of the storage drives on my WHS box is dying. After about 18 hours leaving CHKDSK running, the computer came back up and the console reported that one of the drives was 'Unhealthy'.

When I tried to click on Repair it would throw up an error message, so eventually I just RDP-ed in and restarted the machine.

It's running through CHKDSK again at the moment, but I have no idea what I should do when it comes back up. Runnings WHS v1, and the drive in question is one of four 2Tb WD Green Drives.

Should I just try running the repair again and hope that fixes it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If you have the extra space, I'd remove the drive from the pool. Hopefully it will be able to copy the data on that specific drive to other drives, and once it's out of the pool you can remove it from the machine and troubleshoot it from your desk/laptop, where it would be much easier. Be warned that removing the drive will take forever.

If removing the drive from the pool fails, I'd go ahead and physically remove it and try to recover the data manually (if it's important enough for you to spend the time on it) and then run diagnostics on it.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

EC posted:

If you have the extra space, I'd remove the drive from the pool. Hopefully it will be able to copy the data on that specific drive to other drives, and once it's out of the pool you can remove it from the machine and troubleshoot it from your desk/laptop, where it would be much easier. Be warned that removing the drive will take forever.

If removing the drive from the pool fails, I'd go ahead and physically remove it and try to recover the data manually (if it's important enough for you to spend the time on it) and then run diagnostics on it.

I'll try removing it from the pool and taking it out. Hopefully I have the space - last time I checked I was only using around 5Tb of 8Tb. Thanks!

EDIT: Showed as healthy, now unhealthy. Definitely removing it from the pool to test in another computer. drat it!

modeski fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 13, 2012

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm getting mixed findings from the WD Green advanced format drives. What is needed to make them work in whs v1 (other than setting a jumper on pins 7 and 8)? I see that wd has a format utility, but it doesn't run in whs.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 15, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm getting mixed findings from the WD Green advanced format drives. What is needed to make them work in whs v1 (other than setting a jumper on pins 7 and 8)? I see that wd has a format utility, but it doesn't run in whs.

Set the jumper, but don't use them as your OS drive under any circumstances. You only need the format utility if you aren't using the jumper is my understanding.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

modeski posted:

I'll try removing it from the pool and taking it out.

After many hours of waiting for the faulty drive to be removed from the pool, I got this error, "File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal".

Looking at the list of files causing the failure, most are media files under the Videos share that have the conflict 'Data error (cyclic redundancy check)'. A couple are .dat files. They say 'File exists' and reside on the D: drive.

Looking at an FAQ on Microsoft's site, How do I resolve file conflicts, it says the answer is to use chkdsk /r to perform a full surface scan of the primary hard drive and then repeat the scan for the other hard drives by typing the following command at the command prompt: for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1

Has anyone else come across the same thing? I'm not at home to run chkdsk (wife is sending screenshots from her phone), and I can't remote in since it looks like port 443 isn't forwarding properly, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experience in this so I know what to expect, or if I should do something else.

Once the drive's removed I'll take it back to the shop and take advantage of the warranty to get a replacement.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'd physically remove the drive from the server, copy off whatever it will let you onto a spare PC, and try to recover data from there. The files that are being listed as file conflicts are probably not able to be recovered, at least in my experience, but the rest should be fine. It'll take awhile, but at least you'll recover some data from the drive.

Chkdsk has never really done anything except remove the file conflicts by removing the associated files from the drive entirely.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

EC posted:

I'd physically remove the drive from the server, copy off whatever it will let you onto a spare PC, and try to recover data from there. The files that are being listed as file conflicts are probably not able to be recovered, at least in my experience, but the rest should be fine. It'll take awhile, but at least you'll recover some data from the drive.

Chkdsk has never really done anything except remove the file conflicts by removing the associated files from the drive entirely.

So will the files on there be intact, do you think? My understanding - which might well be incorrect - was that files could be spread over two or more disks, so if you lost a drive it could take 40% of a movie with it, rendering the 60% on another drive useless. How would I 'remove' the drive from WHS then, Wouldn't it show up as missing if I just take it out of the machine?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
You're a little off as to how WHS disk pooling works. Files are stored entirely on one specific drive. If the file resides in a folder that has duplication turned on, that file is copied to two separate physical disks. In such a case, if you remove the drive where one copy of the file exists, you'll still be able to access it on the other drive.

If duplication is not enabled, and you remove the disk where the file resides, you'll lose access to that file entirely.

In the case of file conflicts and duplication, I've personally experienced files that were duplicated be corrupt on both disks. This is why people say that RAID5 and/or disk pooling isn't a backup: if a file becomes corrupt there's no way to recover it (that's a gross simplification, but I think it'll do for this conversation).

So, more than likely your faulty disk contains both corrupt files and good files. Your next task is to put the drive into a bay and see what you can copy from it. If the file is corrupt, you'll more than likely get a "cannot read from source" message, or something similar. Simply skip these files and continue copying the rest of the data. If the remaining corrupt files are super duper ultra important, you can look at trying to recover them. Otherwise, write off the loss and warranty your drive.

EC fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 15, 2012

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

EC posted:

Excellent :words:

Thanks, EC. I stand corrected! The missing files aren’t anything I can't live without (although I’m not sure what the .dat files correspond to), so if I can’t recover them so be it. Just so I’m clear, what should WHS say after I remove the drive and boot up again? Will the drive show up as missing, and give me the option to remove it from the pool?

modeski fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 15, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yep! You'll get a message on all your clients that your WHS is critical, and you can go in the management console and remove it. Shouldn't have any issues.

No idea on the dat files, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Yep! You'll get a message on all your clients that your WHS is critical, and you can go in the management console and remove it. Shouldn't have any issues.

No idea on the dat files, though.

Before you eject the thing you can run chkdsk on the drive.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

redeyes posted:

Before you eject the thing you can run chkdsk on the drive.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Figured it can't hurt. I'll leave it running overnight and during the day when I'm at work tomorrow.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly from when I had a failing drive, the .dat files are the backup files from one or several of the computers you have backing up to WHS. If it can't recover them all, you'll have to repair the backup database to get things functioning again. If you have the physical space in your server for another drive, I'd get an advanced RMA from WD so you have another drive to copy your stuff onto.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

This might not be the right thread, but what's the best way for me to extract as much data as possible from the failing drive? I have it in a spare computer now, running chkdsk /r. Hopefully that'll get it in a state where I can try copying as much data as possible.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

modeski posted:

This might not be the right thread, but what's the best way for me to extract as much data as possible from the failing drive? I have it in a spare computer now, running chkdsk /r. Hopefully that'll get it in a state where I can try copying as much data as possible.

WHS v1 uses a standard NTFS format with a hidden folder with all the data. Just mount the drive and go to ?:\DE\Shares and you'll see all the data that was saved on this drive.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

You can use any NTFS recovery utility. This is why WHS v1 is the best. PS you could have run chkdsk /r from the WHS machine. Just turn off Drive Extender service first, then drop to a cmd prompt and do a CHKDSK /R c:\fs\whatever

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

You can use any NTFS recovery utility. This is why WHS v1 is the best. PS you could have run chkdsk /r from the WHS machine. Just turn off Drive Extender service first, then drop to a cmd prompt and do a CHKDSK /R c:\fs\whatever

You can also do this with 2011 and Drivepool, the files are all stored as regular NTFS.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Well, bad news and good news, for those of you keeping score. This is my first failed drive in the 15 years I've been building my own PCs, so sorry if I'm being a bit verbose here.

Bad news: There's still 62Gb of data I can't get off due to CRC errors.
Good news: It's nothing irreplacable, and 1.5 Tb was successfully moved to the rest of the pool.

Good news: I've just received the return authorisation from the shop I got the drive.
Bad news: I can't drop it off until Saturday.

Question - should I format the drive? I don't want anyone seeing the data that is still on there, but then I want to make sure they can see the drive is faulty.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

modeski posted:

Question - should I format the drive? I don't want anyone seeing the data that is still on there, but then I want to make sure they can see the drive is faulty.

Absolutely format the drive if you're worried about someone seeing the data on the drive. The hardware error will still be there after the format.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

modeski posted:

http://www.dban.org/

download that and run it on the drive, it will fail due to CRC errors at some point but it's a safer bet of keeping the data private than just formatting it in windows.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

gently caress it all, another drive is failing (says 'Healthy' on console, by Crystal Disk Info says caution).

I dont want to lose anymore data, so need to wait until I replace the *first* drive, to grab the data from the second failing one.

What can I do to preserve the data until then? I've shut down the server - guess I can live without it for a few more days.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 22, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've got WHS 2011 set up on a repurposed machine and my initial impressions are very good. I like the automated client backups.

I'm now shopping for a couple drives to use as storage. WHS was a great suggestion, I'm glad I asked SH/SC!

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
Would there be any interest for a used HP MediaSmart 495EX? Trying to consolidate and downsize my network setup.

It's basically like new. Plan to sell the whole shebang with around 4.0TB total storage with all original packaging, accessories, etc.

Wanted to go the SA Mart route instead of eBay.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
$450 shipped in continental U.S.?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like Drivepool is releasing, I just got a 50% discount, $10 for the addin which is a steal I think.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

Looks like Drivepool is releasing, I just got a 50% discount, $10 for the addin which is a steal I think.

Nevermind. I see you only get the discount if you've submitted a formal bug report during the beta test.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 13, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Nevermind. I see you only get the discount if you've submitted a formal bug report during the beta test.

Ah yeah I forgot I did that a few times. Still worth $20 unless you want to wait for storage spaces. Speaking of which Paul thurott has a new article about this.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/replace-windows-home-server-windows-8-142654

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I had to do a server reinstall of WHS v1 because of a dying hard drive last week, and now Home server SMART can't see any SMART data from my Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and just gives the blue circle with the question mark in it. This isn't the first time I've done a reinstall of WHS v1 and I used the same drivers I use every time. Hard Disk Sentinel can see the SMART data just fine though. Why the heck can't home server smart see it?

Edit: Solved this. Found some slightly newer drivers and all is fine.

Suniikaa fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am going to be moving my hard drives from a home-built machine to a HP n40L next week. Will I need to do a repair or anything or can I just move the 4 drives I have to the n40L?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So recently I have been adding video files to my server and they have not been showing up on my DLNA TV. All other files (the exact same type) have been showing up since I purchased the WHS about a year ago. Any reasons why no newly added files will show up anymore? Thanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys,

I have a WHS server and i mapped some network drives onto my main computer pointing to some WHS folders. Is there a way i can get full read/write/delete access to the WHS folders from my main rig? I tried fiddling around with the network drive options, but i can't seem to figure out how to do it. Thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

So recently I have been adding video files to my server and they have not been showing up on my DLNA TV. All other files (the exact same type) have been showing up since I purchased the WHS about a year ago. Any reasons why no newly added files will show up anymore? Thanks.

I think Plex does DLNA now, might be worth a punt.

Mister did you go into the Dashboard and set the permissions to the folder? Why do you need to map a drive?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

kri kri posted:

Mister did you go into the Dashboard and set the permissions to the folder? Why do you need to map a drive?

I forgot if i did or not, but i'm not using drive extender if that makes a difference. I mapped a few drives on my main rig to 3 of my hard drives on the WHS rig.

Edit: Going to check the dashboard when i get home.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 13, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are you using 2011? Either way you can set permissions using the dashboard.

You don't need to map drives anymore most of the time, just create a shortcut to the share.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

kri kri posted:

I think Plex does DLNA now, might be worth a punt.

I mean, yea, but everything has worked fine just adding files into the folder I have been playing from for the last year...why have new files mysteriously stopped showing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a home server and I've just reinstalled the OS. I've managed to get it connected back up to my Macs just fine, yet ironically my Windows 7 PC is proving very difficult to connect.

The username on the 7 PC is Andrew, so I created an account named Andrew. I then try and connect to \\SERVER and it asks me for the username and password - I give it and it tells me it is wrong. I've also tried logging in specifically as that user (log in as another user option) but it has the same result. I've tried changing the username on the PC then creating a new account on the server with that name, but it has the same result. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

• Locked thread