Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

modeski posted:

I'm about two weeks away from building my new WHS2011-based NAS. I can't wait to get off these loving WD green drives, holy poo poo.

I have 10Tb of data over five 2tb drives on the WHSv1 server, and I need to get all that over to the new server. Ideally I'll preserve the same folder structure of the shared drives, but I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. What's the best tool to copy so much data? The IT bods at work seem to use Robocopy, but I've no experience with it. I'm a little worried as I was copying some data (about 120Gb) to an external drive recently and got CRC errors, so I'm worried about starting this massive copy process and it stalling because of some CRC errors or otherwise unhealthy drives.

Also I have some programs running like SABnzbd, Couch Potato, Sickbeard etc, so I'd need to stop those and possibly disable automatic updates as well. Would be very interested to hear how any of you have managed a similar process.

If you're coming from WHSv1 and like the idea of all your drives being pooled together as one drive, check out DrivePool. It's $20, does the same thing, and it makes it really easy to copy stuff from WHSv1. Hook up the old drives normally, and make sure you can see hidden files. Install the software, add all the drives to the pool, then stop the DrivePool service. Copy the data from the hidden WHSv1 folders (I think it as DEshares or something like that) into the DrivePool folder (PoolPart.xxx). Once you're done, start the service back up, go into the DrivePool UI, and select Remeasure. I did this for about 7tb of data a month or so ago, and it was way faster than copying all that poo poo around (which I've done before as well). The remeasure option took a long time to run, but I didn't have to sit there babysitting it confirming that yes I want you to copy thumbs.db goddamit stop asking me.

Alternatively, Robocopy is worth learning if you're copying large amounts of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

modeski posted:

I'm going from 2Tb drives to 4Tb. Plus I can only see the individual partitions in the Disk Management console, so I'm not sure how that would work. If I just browse the computer using Windows Explorer it doesn't show me the contents of each drive, just the shares and the folders within.
I'd just grab either the freebie EASEUS or Paragon partition managers, copy over the partition, then resize the partition. Seems like a better idea, particularly if you're doing direct drive replacements really.

^^^ Also agreeing DrivePool owns, using it in Win 8 right now.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

EC posted:

If you're coming from WHSv1 and like the idea of all your drives being pooled together as one drive, check out DrivePool. It's $20, does the same thing, and it makes it really easy to copy stuff from WHSv1. Hook up the old drives normally, and make sure you can see hidden files. Install the software, add all the drives to the pool, then stop the DrivePool service. Copy the data from the hidden WHSv1 folders (I think it as DEshares or something like that) into the DrivePool folder (PoolPart.xxx). Once you're done, start the service back up, go into the DrivePool UI, and select Remeasure. I did this for about 7tb of data a month or so ago, and it was way faster than copying all that poo poo around (which I've done before as well). The remeasure option took a long time to run, but I didn't have to sit there babysitting it confirming that yes I want you to copy thumbs.db goddamit stop asking me.

Alternatively, Robocopy is worth learning if you're copying large amounts of data.

Thanks, this sounds like a good way to do it. Although I'm copying over the network - not sure if when you say 'hook up the old drives normally' you mean to the same machine. I'll have two separate machines running. Not sure what I'll do with the WHSv1 machine actually. Maybe just as an extra backup machine or something. I should have mentioned I'd planned to use Drivepool anyway. So annoyed they took out DE in 2011!

modeski fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 4, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When I moved a few TB from WHS v1 to 2011 I used Teracopy over the network and it worked well for me.

http://codesector.com/teracopy

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

FCKGW posted:

When I moved a few TB from WHS v1 to 2011 I used Teracopy over the network and it worked well for me.

Thanks, I'll look into that one as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
DrivePool loving rocks. I particularly love the SSD landing drive plugin for super fast network stuff. Not had a single problem with my load. Currently I use it on 2012 Server. It kind of boggles my mind that a separate company created the perfect pooling system while Microsoft itself created Drive Spaces which is a loving disgusting pile of poo poo.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 5, 2014

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

DrivePool loving rocks. I particularly love the SSD landing drive plugin for super fast network stuff. Not had a single problem with my load. Currently I use it on 2012 Server. It kind of boggles my mind that a separate company created the perfect pooling system while Microsoft itself created Drive Spaces which is a loving disgusting pile of poo poo.

I just looked in this today, but I am slightly confused even after reading the covecube notes. How do you have yours set up? I have a single 256gb SSD that has about 100gb free space.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

I just looked in this today, but I am slightly confused even after reading the covecube notes. How do you have yours set up? I have a single 256gb SSD that has about 100gb free space.

If you only have that drive in your system, there's no reason to use DrivePool. If you mean that your main os drive is the SSD, install it to the SSD, then add your other drives to the pool and create your "pool drive", then designate which folders you want duplicated and it'll do its thing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am asking about using the SSD as a landing zone or whatever. I have 6 other drives in my drivepool.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I have an installation question for WHS2011. I'm going to install from USB, and want to make sure the OS goes onto the disk I have chosen for this purpose (a 500Gb drive as opposed to the 4Tb drives for the storage pool). Do I need to disconnect all other drives? Or will I have the option to choose which drive when I fire it up?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yes, it will prompt you just like any other Server 2008 install.. very similar to Windows 7. That said, you can't beat disconnection for certainty.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Okay so I have installed WHS2011. Only the system drive is showing up, strangely. Even in Disk Management I can only see the one 500Gb drive, not the larger storage disks, even as unallocated space etc. I'm installing all the Windows Updates and am hoping that might help. Any other things I should be looking at?

I've also installed the ASRock 3Tb+ Unlocker storage controller and updated the AMD SATA Controller to match what's on the CD that came with the motherboard.

EDIT: Hmm,they're not showing up in the BIOS either. I'll try in the Tech Support thread.

EDIT2: Holy poo poo they weren't connected. I opened up the case and saw that only the 500Gb was actually plugged in. The tech who built it must have left them unplugged to make sure I installed the OS to the right drive. Wish he'd told me, though. I didn't want to open the case because if the sticker tears that voids the warranty, but it wasn't fully stuck down, so looks good as new now.

modeski fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 24, 2014

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

The SSD plugin is an add-on. You install Drive Pool, then add the SSD as a SSD landing thing using the plugin. Its pretty obvious when you have it installed.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

FCKGW posted:

So Teracopy's not working out so well for me. It's stalled at about 10% done, looks like some dodgy files and or CRC errors, and in the non-pro copy I don't see any options to skip these automatically. I think I'm going to move to Robocopy. A bit of research has led me to this:

robocopy \\src\share \\dest\share /e /np /zb /sec /r:1 /w:1 /log+:logfile.txt /tee /xd \\src\share\somedirdontcopy

/e – copy all files, all dirs
/np – no progress, less time updating the screen, more time copying files
/zb – restartable / backup
/sec – copy security info
/r:1 – number of retries
/w:1 – wait between retries.
/log – make a logfile
/tee – also log to screen.
/xd – exclude non-data directories

Which I think looks pretty reasonable. Although part of me wonders whether a straight drag and drop might just be the simplest option! It's underway now so we'll see how it goes.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 25, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Greetings! I have had an Acer Aspire EasyStore E340 for several years running whichever version of WHS it came with at the time and have recently decided that I want to get rid of it but am having difficulty figuring out the best way to revert it to a factory installation for sale. I do not believe that I received any recovery disks and am generally unfamiliar with the procedure for installing / restoring on a headless system. What is the best way to go and get this machine wiped? I have removed 3 of the 4 drives from the storage pool and am formatting them, but the OS and user data is still there.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Use dban to blow away the disk

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

kri kri posted:

Use dban to blow away the disk

But what about reinstalling the OS?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TraderStav posted:

But what about reinstalling the OS?

It looks like the headless WHS boxes came with a "server recovery disk" which gets used along with a special hardware recovery mode to reinstall the OS from a network connected machine. Without that disk you're SOL.

Apparently Acer may be able to provide the disk, can't hurt to try: https://store.acer.com/store?Action=DisplayDataValidationServicePage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=acerna#_ga=1.150001718.1837577260.1419285725

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys, looks like my WHS machine (E: WHS 2011) stopped doing backups for all client machines at the end of November / start of December. Now it says the backup status is "not set" although I can see the old backups up till that date for each machine. Does anyone know why that might have happened?

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 7, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Configured the backups again and two backups have completed successfully so far..

E: And now the third backup has completed. Check your dashboard, people.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 7, 2015

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Configured the backups again and two backups have completed successfully so far..

E: And now the third backup has completed. Check your dashboard, people.

I've really only seen backup errors or backup service not running errors when I remove a failing hard drive. Eventually the errors went away on their own and the service returned to normal. Are you using any add-ins on your WHS like Stablebit Scanner to monitor drives for bad sectors? Have you removed any drives?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I've really only seen backup errors or backup service not running errors when I remove a failing hard drive. Eventually the errors went away on their own and the service returned to normal. Are you using any add-ins on your WHS like Stablebit Scanner to monitor drives for bad sectors? Have you removed any drives?

I use the lights-out addon and that's it. I haven't removed any drives or had a drive failure.. hmm.
It didn't seem to be caused by a drive error, it was like the backups just weren't scheduled to be run any more. Re-enabling the backups (by configuring them like the first time) caused the backups to run and succeed.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
A bunch of very "noobish" questions- I want to set up AD on my home network to play around with. My roommate just had some industry grade Cisco hardware installed for lab work and such, and I thought I could leverage this setup to help me learn about managing a network from the ground up, so while he does his Cisco stuff I thought it would be cool to set up a network like we have at our job (we work at the same place), with AD and a DC and all of that good stuff. Honestly, I have very little idea of what I'm talking about, so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

I've been looking into using my Pi as a DC, but before I even get into that, I was wondering- if I do this, can my roommates still connect without having to authenticate? Or in other words is there a way I can just give them backdoor access so nothing I do actually affects them? Or, let's say they're cool with the idea of authenticating against my poo poo to get online, what kind of changes software wise would they have to make? Is there a way I can ensure them that I won't be looking into their junk, or is that against the idea of AD completely? Will the fact that we're all running different operating systems have any effect other than maybe my ability to manage them?

So apparently I can't use WHS with AD, so I guess these questions just apply to Windows Server xxxx.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 1, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
WHS 2011 is pretty old now and of course it has no upgrade path. Besides that, no one should use it with its stupid hd spanned block storage. Use StableBit Drivepool. For 20 bux it shits all over WHS and you can use it on Windows 8.1 which is what I am doing right now. I also like the SSD landing zone add-on a lot too.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 1, 2015

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

TheEffect posted:

A bunch of very "noobish" questions- I want to set up AD on my home network to play around with. My roommate just had some industry grade Cisco hardware installed for lab work and such, and I thought I could leverage this setup to help me learn about managing a network from the ground up, so while he does his Cisco stuff I thought it would be cool to set up a network like we have at our job (we work at the same place), with AD and a DC and all of that good stuff. Honestly, I have very little idea of what I'm talking about, so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

I've been looking into using my Pi as a DC, but before I even get into that, I was wondering- if I do this, can my roommates still connect without having to authenticate? Or in other words is there a way I can just give them backdoor access so nothing I do actually affects them? Or, let's say they're cool with the idea of authenticating against my poo poo to get online, what kind of changes software wise would they have to make? Is there a way I can ensure them that I won't be looking into their junk, or is that against the idea of AD completely? Will the fact that we're all running different operating systems have any effect other than maybe my ability to manage them?

So apparently I can't use WHS with AD, so I guess these questions just apply to Windows Server xxxx.

You're looking for a home lab, but for the Windows side. Despite the title, the Home Lab thread covers both aspects.

Short version: Virtualize everything, have your own tiny universe for testing stuff. An I5/I7 with a cheap boatload of RAM will be more than enough to run ESXi (for VMware) or Windows 2012r2 Core (for Hyper-V). Your Pi won't run Windows (as far as I know), so you'd be using some Linux LDAP implementation, which... yea. Probably not the best idea.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

WHS 2011 is pretty old now and of course it has no upgrade path. Besides that, no one should use it with its stupid hd spanned block storage. Use StableBit Drivepool. For 20 bux it shits all over WHS and you can use it on Windows 8.1 which is what I am doing right now. I also like the SSD landing zone add-on a lot too.

I second this - drivepool is incredible and pretty much hassle free. I have been running it flawlessly on windows 8 and 8.1.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did you start with Win8 and Drivepool? I'm using Drivepool with WHS2011 and thinking of moving to Win8. Can I just reinstall the OS and Drivepool and it will just pick up the pool and continue as nothing changed?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

Did you start with Win8 and Drivepool? I'm using Drivepool with WHS2011 and thinking of moving to Win8. Can I just reinstall the OS and Drivepool and it will just pick up the pool and continue as nothing changed?

Nope, I started with WHS2011 as well. Key thing is to deactivate the license before you dismantle the box. Reload the Drivepool software on the target machine, activate it with the same code and then move your disks to the new system. It should just work creating a new drive letter with the pool.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You're looking for a home lab, but for the Windows side. Despite the title, the Home Lab thread covers both aspects.

Short version: Virtualize everything, have your own tiny universe for testing stuff. An I5/I7 with a cheap boatload of RAM will be more than enough to run ESXi (for VMware) or Windows 2012r2 Core (for Hyper-V). Your Pi won't run Windows (as far as I know), so you'd be using some Linux LDAP implementation, which... yea. Probably not the best idea.

Forgot to say thank you for the advice. I'm well on my way to building my home lab!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redeyes posted:

Nope, I started with WHS2011 as well. Key thing is to deactivate the license before you dismantle the box. Reload the Drivepool software on the target machine, activate it with the same code and then move your disks to the new system. It should just work creating a new drive letter with the pool.

Exactly this. Its so stupidly easy to move the license, or add/remove drives I am shocked the company hasn't been bought up yet. Incredible that it's only $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kri kri posted:

Exactly this. Its so stupidly easy to move the license, or add/remove drives I am shocked the company hasn't been bought up yet. Incredible that it's only $20.

It looks like they're starting to do some enterprise play and have a new product called Stablebit Cloud Drive that they've been working on since 2013. They haven't said what kind of software it even is but I'm intrigued.

http://wiki.covecube.com/Development_Status#StableBit_CloudDrive

• Locked thread