Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DNova posted:

Not sure how important your data is, but don't forget about offsite backups.

I am very interested in WHS. Does anyone know if it's available through MSDN-AA?

I think that might depend on what your school pays for, but I'm pretty sure my school buys everything it can and we don't offer it, so I'm guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

If you're wanting to add lots of hard drives to your server, here's one way.

I have often wondered about the best way to go about this...

There has to be a better way then getting a motherboard with no CPU or memory just to provide power to that expander.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

I suppose...but then again the mobo is only $35.

Yeah, after the first one he tried didn't work. There's no spot on NewEgg for "Provides power to PCIE devices without CPU or Memory" so a $35 board could end up being a $70 board.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

Well, don't buy the mobo from some place you can't return it to? I mean there is a reason this is a DIY project. I guess if you want assurances, buy an off the shelf product.

Yeah, I understand that. It seems like the kind of problem some goony EE guy would look at solder a breadboard together that does it or something and sell it for some number of dollars. :shrug:.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
According to specs, most hard drives pull 5A on the 12V rail at boot, which is the killer. Once they've spun up they take most of their power off the other rails, and they just sip it.

Staggered spin up should be easier.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Obviously Erratic posted:

So I want to build a Home Server box, but I'm limited by cash at the moment.
My idea was to build a box with 1 or 2 2TB Green drives to begin with and as more funds become available purchase more, eventually having 4 x 2TB or more.

DriveExpander seems to be able to do this beautifully. But Vail doesn't support it?

I'm comfortable with a Unix server, however are there any competitors to the DriveExpander? My understanding here is that if I build a Unix or even Server2008 box, and wanted to add in more drives later, I'd have to blow away the RAID array and rebuild it?

I love that I can just physically install a new drive, format it and add it to the disk pool with DriveExpander, but are there any alternatives? Free/OSS would be even better!

mdadm (Linux) can do an in place expansion of a RAID5 set. Or if you don't care about your data you should be able to do some kind of RAID0 with pretty much anything and keep adding disks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

modeski posted:

Of course. Not sure why I didn't think of that beforehand. Thanks!

The only problem comes those drives first spin up. On poweron a drive will pull 2A from the 12V rail, so you'd be pulling 16A for a few seconds, which probably won't be a problem, but to be safe check the amperage on your 12V rails. One the drives are on they don't use nearly as much power, and they pull it from other less crowded rails, so it's essentially a non issue.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kri kri posted:

This is another one

http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/

Any file sync tool, especially one that runs on Unix, that doesn't have "uses rsync" or at very least "uses rsync algorithm" can just go right ahead and :frogout:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

redeyes posted:

This product was for home users though. Fact is that it kicks the rear end of any RAID5 I have tried. I mean point me to the RAID5 solution that has ~100MB/s reads and writes and also has fully automated incremental rotated backups for up to 10 computers on my network. Oh and my redundancy is based on each of my logical 'shares'. Makes it easy to optimize the use of your hard drive space. You can have a huge folder of throw away garbage and also have important data mirrored from the same set of drives. All automatic. You can also add or remove drives at will.. grow or shrink the storage pool.

RAID5 for 100 bux or under can't do any of that.

That's a strange comparison to make. You're comparing a form of disk redundancy to an entire operating system. AFAIK Vail will still do all of the backup stuff, it just won't have the DE stuff. Hell, with ZFS and Unix you could get most of the DE functionality (you'd just miss out on the automated backups).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

redeyes posted:

And just how is WHS going to do unlimited incremental backups with no drive extender? I sure as hell don't know.

I see no way that incremental backup needs drive extender, unless I'm missing something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SopWATh posted:

I finally got the driver situation figured out, I had to change the SATA controller to IDE mode, and the IDE emulation had to be in "compatible" mode rather than "enhanced"

Just so you're aware, you didn't actually figure anything out, you just disabled all the cool stuff that SATA gives you. What you've done is told Windows to address that drive as an IDE drive. It didn't work because Win XP has no AHCI drives, so it doesn't know how to talk to a SATA device by default. If you'd actually gotten the driver situation figured out, you'd have fun stuff like NCQ, but in the end it probably doesn't matter, just something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SopWATh posted:

Yeah, I get that. I was originally hoping to slipstream the correct drivers into the WHS install disc, so that I could boot with in AHCI-mode out of the box.

In order to boot into the system, I had to change those settings back to "compatible". The next step would be to install the sata drivers so I can actually boot up with the BIOS settings changed to AHCI. I'm still having trouble figuring out how to install drivers for hardware the operating system doesn't see. Plus there's the fact that I'm not 100% clear on windows server 2003 drivers. In short, I'm still dumb about drivers.

Is there a way to force the Intel driver install program to install the AHCI drivers for WHS? Maybe I'm over-thinking things, but I thought it took more than copying a driver file to the system32 folder.

I think that requires a registry hack to get it to work.

But to setup the drivers themselves, look for someething called dpinst. I'm not sure if it works or if it's what other people do, but it looks promising.

• Locked thread