Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

univbee posted:

They might mean "it won't install unless you have at least a 50 gig drive," a bit like how WHS v1 only has a 20 gig OS partition (of which less than half is actually used) but won't install unless you have at least a 75 gig drive to install to.

When I tried installing in a VM for testing, I believe it required a 160gig HD for me to install to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

MonkeyFit posted:

So you're saying I should buy version 1 then.

Real content. I've been running my own file server off vista because between WMP, file sharing, and Zune software, it shared everything I needed to my Xbox 360 (this include, DivX, XviD, MP4, H.264 and MP2). Does V1 OR V2 share these same by default? Will I be able to throw Zune software on there or will i have to start syncing my Zune with my main computer? Will Windows Home Server do my laundry for me?

WHSv1 works like a charm with my 360. Music, pics and videos sync flawlessly.

My Win7 media center PC has the WHS connector installed, and I've configured it to store all recorded TV on the WHS box as well. With my iTunes library shared out on the WHS, I have one big happy home for all of my digital media that I can access from any PC, and I can access it all remotely as well. It looks like the only other thing that Vail can do is some multimedia streaming. I am going to investigate further to see if it's worth running it in a VM and doing some kind of folder redirection trickery to let it access the data living on my WHSv1 box.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Well, got kicked in the dick by drive failure. Bunch of "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" messages, and as far as I understand that means that the files with those conflict messages are toast. I'm a bit confused though, because for some of these folders I had duplication turned on but I still appear to be out of luck.

I bought a new drive and cloned the failing one to make sure nothing more is lost. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll rebuild on v1 or v2. I have under 2 TB of data total so 2011 disk management shouldn't be a nightmare.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I'm starting to believe WHS 2011 should have never made it out the front door in its current state.

To be fair, you are running a third-party storage abstraction layer on top of WHS. I was a die-hard WHSv1 zealot, and I upgraded to 2011 mainly for the remote access improvements. I have been running the same stock install for a long time and it's been remarkably stable.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Fine tuning and tweaking.. specifically?

I'm genuinely interested in the specifics as well. I'm probably going to move to a virtualized WHS and Win7 MC environment fairly soon.

• Locked thread