Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

LinuxGirl87 posted:

Can WHS2 have an OS disk and a diskpool separate? (Say, a small 10k RPM OS drive and a large 7200 RPM storage pool.)

Yes. We finally have the option to not include the OS drive in the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

kri kri posted:

I doubt this is true.

Its not 100% loss always but it's pretty close from my testing. Basically everything is striped across multiple drives regardless if it is duplicated or not. So if one drive dies you lose pretty much everything that was not duplicated if it spanned all drives. This is true for large files mostly (videos), smaller files are not always lost but it's a crapshot with those.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Then there really is no point in running WHS if you setup a software/hardware raid. You might as well load a better os (server 2008 r2) and setup a raid on that. Or some ZFS system that can pool similar to WHS. Unlike WHS with duplication, raid5 can result in data lose if more than 1 drive fails from the array.

I really hate when people say this. WHS does more than just drive extender. I have a few computers in my house that I keep backed up, and have restored on more than one occasion. That alone would be worth it, but also the website and free dns that you get for things like sharing pictures (if you have kids) make WHS more than just a drive pool. So yes there is a point in running WHS if you have a raid setup. Honestly WHS works wonderfully on a raid array, you get the n-1 disk space and all the extra features of WHS.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

wolrah posted:

Drive extender is the only thing that makes WHS special though. As great as they are conceptually for the average user with a lot of files, I'd bet good money the vast majority of the actual users of it are fairly computer savvy and thus could easily assemble all the other functionality on a spare PC in their OS of choice.

I have a Linux box I built in an evening as my home server. It has pooled storage, SMB, UPnP music/movie sharing, backups, etc. Literally everything WHS has aside from drive extender. If my Greyhole VM experiment works out it'll even have that too.

Yes you can get all the features from everything else but you have to piece a bunch of poo poo together instead of just having it in once nice package. WHS just works with all the stuff, it saves time and I don't have to try to figure what linux distro or command I need to do what function. You can backup XP and Windows 7 of any version, not just 7 Professional. And it's cheaper than 2008r2.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Pretty sure they were just asking about duplication vs Raid5. This is true that WHS has a few nice features outside of duplication.
Backup - If you run windows 7 there is an awesome built in backup utility that can write to a shared drive, lets say a drive on a server 2008 r2 box.
website/hosting/ftp - You can set this up with pretty much any OS. Configure IIS and from there you can cover all these things. I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

With that being said, I do really like WHS because its plug and play, but then again, I only use it for drive extender and duplication. My server 2008 r2 box handles backups, web hosting among other things.

I agree, if they were only going to use WHS for a storage pool only there are better ways to go. The great thing about WHS was everything being in one easy to use package, which would be perfect if they were not retarded and got rid of drive extender.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

"One Arm Manny" posted:

I think I read something about a 2TB limit per shared folder in 2011. Does Drivepool get around this, or am I just wrong?
I have a 8tb array set with multiple shared folders on it in 2011. Works fine.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

"kyojin" posted:

I looked at UnRaid but there is a 3 drive limit on the free version, which is no good. I am cheap.

I had been avoiding WHS2011 as I thought the drives were not NTFS? Did that go out of the window along with DE? I am downloading it from Technet now to give it a go.

And as I do so, Flexraid is back up! Hallelujah. I'll report back on how I get on with it, in case anyone else is interested.
Yes. Drives are back to ntfs since de is gone. Try drive bender or stablebit drive pool. Both have good reviews.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Tapedump posted:

I have a 8tb array set with multiple shared folders on it in 2011. Works fine.
Right, but are any of those more than 2GB in total content size? That would be nice to know/verify.
[/quote]

Yes my video folder is 5TB.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Build/buy your NAS for storage/backup and get a Boxee Box, WDTV Live, or other similar media player. Wife friendly, cool, quiet, and much less hassle than an HTPC.

If you got with a WDTV make sure on server 2011 you turn on netbios. If you have an all windows 7 or higher environment the WDTV won't see folder shares on the server unless that is on. Other than that I have 2 WDTV lives, 1 htpc, 2 computers, and server 2011 and they all work very well together.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TheChipmunk posted:

I'm running WHS (based on 2003) and rather often the shared shares and server become unresponsive and I have to manually restart the server.

What can I look into fixing this? Where should I start?

After it happens and you restart check the event logs. Check system and application to see if there was something happening.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

To be fair, you are running a third-party storage abstraction layer on top of WHS. I was a die-hard WHSv1 zealot, and I upgraded to 2011 mainly for the remote access improvements. I have been running the same stock install for a long time and it's been remarkably stable.

WHS2011 has been great for me. I have a raid card and array so I do not need the drive pooling. The backup system has been flawless for the few times I have done restores, and the OS itself has been stable considering I am running a zillion extra services on it for serving up content. I mean it is just server 2008r2 with a backup system and website on it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Yeah it sounds like some people are interested in a Hyper-V/WHS 2011 setup. I've taken my jumble of personal notes about the setup/configuration specific to my own environment and posted them here. Feel free to suggest any changes that might make life easier and make things work better. I eventually did get the WDTV working with WHS 2011.

All I had to do was physically cut power to all network devices and bring them back up again! (pretty much just the router and a reboot of the machines on the LAN) :negative:

Did you try just turning on netbios? By default with server 2008 ,windows 7 netbios only turns on at first and if it doesn't detect a legacy device it turns off (which is why resetting everything probably works) which will stop file shares from showing up on the Wdtv. After I forced it to always be on my Wdtv always found my whs2011. (advanced options in IP4 settings)

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Has anyone played around with Windows Server 8? With the introduction of Spaces, I'm thinking of moving from WHS v1 to that instead.

Yes. In it's current state storage spaces is slow (write) and unreliable.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

kri kri posted:

Yeah looks like the next thing will be using the Crashplan client and SBS 2012 or whatever. Though I can't see myself replacing my n40l 2011 server anytime soon. I don't have any of the issues I had with v1.

I was also thinking of server 2012 and crash plan. Only thing I will really miss is the free DNS service. I have everything pointed at that address.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Server 2003 does not have dynamic resizing of partitions, no.

You're going to have to use something like Partition Magic or Acronis or maybe one of them linux boot cds to do it.

You can extend the Partition using diskpart in server 2003, however I do not know if it is safe with WHSv1 since the D drive is special.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I think there was a guide a few pages back on how to install WHS on a smaller SSD by using a hack script when installing.

However, i'd like to clone my drive instead of reinstalling. Is there a registry hack or something that i could do to remove the minimum 160 GB restriction before trying to clone my drive over?

WHS v1 or 2011? I'm assuming 2011 since you said 160gb. That restriction is only on install and shouldn't matter for cloning. You can shrink the partition to smaller than the disk you are cloning to then just use windows built in disk backup to restore to the new drive.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Oh that's great, thanks.

Oddly enough, i have no idea what version of WHS i'm running... looked around at both newegg/amazon and it doesn't say!

Edit: Maybe it's v1 since it just says 'windows home server', i'm guessing they'd tack on '2011' if it was that version. Plus i bought this in 2010 i guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH340-U2T1H-Server/dp/B00307EL8M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014

Maybe i can find out when i get home and remote login into it.

Edit: I think i'll try using Acronis Easy Migrate to do this.

Edit again! Yeah looks like it's V1

WHS V1 had a 65gb requirement. Acronis is usually pretty good about imaging so you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

I'm like 90% sure DrivePool doesn't back up the server OS or settings, which is what the server backup does. I keep meaning to add an external drive an set it up but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You can use the built in windows server backup to dump the system partition onto your other drive in case it fails. I just have mine setup to dump the C to a different disk every night and it works great. Its in the control panel, not the one inside the whs console.

• Locked thread