Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hi guys, i just bought the Acer WHS box from newegg and set everything up. I want to be able to stream music from my box to the internet. I have a laptop from work that's locked down but i was miraculously able to install VLC Lan on it somehow and it also has windows media player 11 on it.

What's the best way to have streaming setup in this scenario? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BorderPatrol posted:

Can you remote into the box?

I use Subsonic to stream from my WHS box.

You mean Remote Desktop? No i can't do that... but if you mean http, i should be able to. So you can play music over subsonic via http (according to your link)?

Edit: you know what, i do have Remote Desktop Connection actually, on windows xp

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 14, 2010

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BorderPatrol posted:

Yes, there's a web interface, a library stream to play in wmp, and iphone/android apps as well.

Oh sweet, thanks a lot, i'll check it out.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

gariig posted:

I think BorderPatrol was asking if you can remote desktop into the box to install Subsonic. I will state yes you can. I just set Subsonic up a week ago and it's pretty simple to do. It will be worth the ~$15 for a Subsonic license so my wife and I can access our music anywhere with our Evos.

EDIT: You Remote desktop to the PC and login as administrator and whatever your console password is. Then just install Subsonic it will set itself up as a service and you are done. Just log into the Subsonic configuration website and pick your settings.

OH ok, yeah, i do have remote desktop on both my work laptop and my home PC, thanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Hey guys,

I have a WHS server and i mapped some network drives onto my main computer pointing to some WHS folders. Is there a way i can get full read/write/delete access to the WHS folders from my main rig? I tried fiddling around with the network drive options, but i can't seem to figure out how to do it. Thanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

kri kri posted:

Mister did you go into the Dashboard and set the permissions to the folder? Why do you need to map a drive?

I forgot if i did or not, but i'm not using drive extender if that makes a difference. I mapped a few drives on my main rig to 3 of my hard drives on the WHS rig.

Edit: Going to check the dashboard when i get home.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 13, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I think there was a guide a few pages back on how to install WHS on a smaller SSD by using a hack script when installing.

However, i'd like to clone my drive instead of reinstalling. Is there a registry hack or something that i could do to remove the minimum 160 GB restriction before trying to clone my drive over?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

ClassH posted:

WHS v1 or 2011? I'm assuming 2011 since you said 160gb. That restriction is only on install and shouldn't matter for cloning. You can shrink the partition to smaller than the disk you are cloning to then just use windows built in disk backup to restore to the new drive.

Oh that's great, thanks.

Oddly enough, i have no idea what version of WHS i'm running... looked around at both newegg/amazon and it doesn't say!

Edit: Maybe it's v1 since it just says 'windows home server', i'm guessing they'd tack on '2011' if it was that version. Plus i bought this in 2010 i guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH340-U2T1H-Server/dp/B00307EL8M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014

Maybe i can find out when i get home and remote login into it.

Edit: I think i'll try using Acronis Easy Migrate to do this.

Edit again! Yeah looks like it's V1

quote:

Two, Microsoft announced that they are removing Drive Extender from the next version of Windows Home Server (Version 2, code named Vail, which will be released in 2011; Drive Extender technology is included with WHS Version 1, which runs these Acer servers).

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 6, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

ClassH posted:

WHS V1 had a 65gb requirement. Acronis is usually pretty good about imaging so you should be fine.

Sweet, thanks!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Dumb question, but i have an Acer WHS server (not 2011, the one before that). For the past couple of months, the networked drive connections would just fail after a few days to a week, i'm not able to connect to my sabnzbd server, and eventually, i'm not able to do a remote desktop connection to my WHS server. After i reboot, everything works again. Is this a sign of a hard drive that's beginning to fail?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I want to install Windows Home Server 2011 on a 64 gig SSD and i read about a trick to bypass the 160 gb requirement by creating a cfg file to bypass the requirement:

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2011/09/20/installing-whs-2011-or-sbs-2011-essentials-on-ssd-or-sata-hard-drives-smaller-than-160gb/

However, some people are having problems with getting the trick to work using a combination DVD/USB drive installation.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do this by creating a usb install disk on a usb drive instead of using a dvd and copying the cfg file that does the 160gb bypass trick to the usb flash drive instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Hi, i just realized my copy of Windows Home Server is the older one (i guess from 2007). Also my WHS server (it's the acer one) is fried and i have to buy another server (looking at the HP Proliant). Does anyone know if that stupid 160 GB limitation is only on the 2011 version of WHS? I guess i'm going to have to find a way to extract the serial number from my fried WHS' hard drive (which still works thank god) because I only have a stupid recovery disk for it, UGH.

FCKGW posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I did that exact same thing when installing to my 128gb SSD.

Thanks. Guess it's moot now though!

• Locked thread