Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I am planning to build a WHS in the near future. What type of hard drives should I use? I am planning to transfer two of my WD Black 1TB's, and was also thinking about picking up two WD Green 2TB's. Should I pick up a smaller HD to install the windows on? Or just partition one of the Blacks. (I will have 6 SATA ports).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

qutius posted:

For what it's worth, I didn't have good luck with WD Green drives in my WHS install. Trying to stream HD content never worked all that well and my problems went away after moving to Samsung F4s.

This is pretty much what I will be doing. Playing back HD content onto my TV. You would recommend the F4's then?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

modeski posted:

I have 4 WD Green drives too and never had issues with streaming 1080p.

Good to hear another opinion. Especially since the Green WD drives will be at my door when I get home. Thanks!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Any way to get an mkv extension to play though WHS? I have a DLNA ready TV which supports the extension, just wondering how to get it to show up since WHS seems to not like mkv. I googles a little bit and its telling me that a registry edit may possibly help. Thanks for any help.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I have a question maybe one of you can answer.

I have my WHS connected to my router, which in turn my TV is also connected to my router. I like to play files from the WHS onto my TV. It usually works fine and dandy, except some files like to give me problems. The problem is that it plays for some amount of time, then freezes, and gives me a "disconnected from source" error. I can immediately open back up the server from my TV and resume play from the same spot and it plays for a little while again with the same error popping up on me. The timing is sporadic. Sometimes it happens in 5 minutes, sometimes it can play for 15 minutes. Any ideas?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So recently I have been adding video files to my server and they have not been showing up on my DLNA TV. All other files (the exact same type) have been showing up since I purchased the WHS about a year ago. Any reasons why no newly added files will show up anymore? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

kri kri posted:

I think Plex does DLNA now, might be worth a punt.

I mean, yea, but everything has worked fine just adding files into the folder I have been playing from for the last year...why have new files mysteriously stopped showing up?

• Locked thread