Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
So I want to build a Home Server box, but I'm limited by cash at the moment.
My idea was to build a box with 1 or 2 2TB Green drives to begin with and as more funds become available purchase more, eventually having 4 x 2TB or more.

DriveExpander seems to be able to do this beautifully. But Vail doesn't support it?

I'm comfortable with a Unix server, however are there any competitors to the DriveExpander? My understanding here is that if I build a Unix or even Server2008 box, and wanted to add in more drives later, I'd have to blow away the RAID array and rebuild it?

I love that I can just physically install a new drive, format it and add it to the disk pool with DriveExpander, but are there any alternatives? Free/OSS would be even better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

BorderPatrol posted:

This is incorrect, Vail absolutely supports Drive Extender.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3677/windows-home-server-v2-vail-beta-drive-extender-v2-dissected

All they've done is move it from above the file system to below the file system, which has improved performance and file duplication.

Bah, looks like I completely misread the changes. Thanks for the information.
Seems it'll still do what I'm after, it's a shame it's not NTFS anymore, though my guess is it won't be long before someone codes software that can read it.

I'm midway through installing Vail on some ghetto hardware to do a bit of testing before I go out and purchase the hardware.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a PCI or PCI Express card with 4+ internal SATA ports?

I'm actually wondering the same thing. I had an old FastTrack SATA Raid card that I had set up to run as JBOD but WHS hated it. So I've scrapped it and bought a cheap-rear end card from Ebay to see how it runs, it's not RAID, just 4 internal ports.

I'm sure performance will be pretty bad running through PCI, but does anyone know just HOW badly performance will be impacted?

Hopefully this card will do the job for a while and then I'll upgrade to a decent card.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

The WDxxEARS drives are those advanced format drives that will require some effort to get working properly in the current version of WHS (Vail should support them natively). It's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Exactly what limitations are involved here!?
I just got a 2TB EARS and it "appears" to be working correctly in there.

One thing I did notice however is that My Computer lists 2.3TB Freespace, yet only 212GB capacity!?

Can you provide some information? I wonder if my problems similar to what you're talking about.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

I'm looking at picking up an Antec Three Hundred case to transplant my WHS box. Possibly with the EarthWatts 750 PSU.
Anyone had any experience with these? I've read a few reviews, but what I'm after is cool and quiet.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

savesthedayrocks posted:

Speaking of restoring a computer, my wife's laptop needs to be restored. I inserted the disk, plugged the network cable in to my wireless router, but the pc can't find the server. On my laptop, I can see and log into the server.

After I choose for the recovery disk to find the server automatically, I tried to type it in manually but no luck there either.

Any ideas?

Can you get to it by IP?

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Rapetimus Prime posted:

A friend of mine has been running Vail for a little while now and I've been really impressed with it. Since my current WHS install is acting wackier than usual lately, I'm looking at reinstalling with Vail.

Is it safe to just let it wipe my primary partition as long as it doesn't touch the data drives, or is it going to viciously murder every scrap of data I have during its startup phase? I'd rather not lose our entire library if possible.

I was under the impression that, because Drive Extender is so different, you need to completely back up all your data and start fresh - copying it back on after install.
I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though as this is the only reason I've not tried it yet.

I'm also interested in knowing if i'd have to do the same thing once Vail is released proper? or if I can just re-install leaving the data/drive pool alone.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

beuges posted:

I didn't follow the walkthru as such, but I set up WHS under hyper-v this week. I already had a box running hyper-v with a bunch of other VMs on it, and my WHS box died, so I decided to move the drives into the hyper-v box as a VM.

It's pretty straightforward - you just create a virtual machine and add a drive to it - you can probably create a virtual hard drive for the OS, but I used a native disk anyways. Then just add the other drives to the vm as well, and you're all set. It's been running very nicely since I've set it up, and I get to save a few bucks by not having the other dedicated WHS box powered on all the time.

One thing that I noticed is that if you add your drives to the IDE channel, they show up in the WHS console as 'Virtual drive' or something. But if you add them as SCSI drives, they show up with their serial numbers etc. So I'd think it's better to add them as SCSI, cos if the IDE virtualization isn't able to pick up stuff like the serial number, it probably also won't be able to pick up SMART diagnostics etc, to be able to warn you if a drive is failing.

Also, the standard WHS installation won't pick up the default network adapter that Hyper-V emulates. So you'll need to install the hyper-v guest tools after you've installed whs (or you could remove the default adapter and add a legacy network adapter - except the legacy adapter runs at either 100mbps or 10mbps and the default one runs at 10gbps so you'd get much better performance with that, especially between vm's on the same box I'd imagine).

What's the performance like in general with this?
Seems pretty good and I'd be interested in having a shot at it!

Do you mind sharing your specs for the host box? I've never used Hyper-V before, but I'd imagine it's fairly resource hungry as opposed to say a Ubuntu host running VBoxHeadless or something?

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Anjow posted:

If my OS drive on my home server is about to fail but I can still read the contents, what's the procedure for replacing it? I imagine I have to go through the procedure to remove the disc to get the files off the data part of it, but how do I go about getting the OS on another disc? Am I meant to take it out and just install afresh on another disc?

I was going to recommend Ghosting the drive - but this says otherwise:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/10600-using-ghost-to-clone-replace-os-drive/

wegotserved.com has some pretty good guides and I've seen on there that other users have Ghosted successfully before - but I believe that takes a fair bit of registry hacking because of the way DriveExtender indexes the drives.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/08/16/windows-home-server-vail-rc0

This is looking great.
OSX Support is something I can't wait for as every machine bar my WHS is OSX.
Media streaming via Silverlight and Email alerts without addins are massive steps forward in my opinion.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Also looks like there's a "Drives" tab which more or less will replace the Disk Management add-in for WHSv1
Awesome.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

I've been using AusLogics Disk Defrag on mine and it seems to do a good job and is pretty fast too. Tweaking the settings and playing with the priority of the defrag helps with not slowing to a crawl aswell.
Not sure what the general concensus is but its free and seems to work, I actually use it on all my Windows PC's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

It's great hardware, enterprise level support too. You can get a 4hr mission critical 5 year warranty on that box :)

And it's also an awesome little enthusiast box!
Shove 8GB RAM, either ECC or non-ECC DDR3 in it, USB port on the motherboard, eSATA port at the back (not port multiplying)
Can also fit 6 3.5" drives in it with little fuss and a 2.5" for OS or ZFS cache etc.
Love it!

• Locked thread