Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

You can get a 120 day trial for WHS and if you like it buy an OEM key at Newegg for $100.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/buy.mspx

There is a good guide to picking parts to build your own server at the WGS Wiki

That build guide is horribly dated and unless that's a typo on the Microsoft website, the trial is now only 30 days. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

There is a decent write up about building a WHS build for Vail if anyone is interested here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04/30/a-cheap-build-to-test-out-vail-maybe-lovely-title/

Excellent link. I wish I had the money for it though. I downloaded all the iso's and everything and was just getting ready to set up a test box when I realized it was an Athlon XP processor. :( I'll just have to watch this thread and listen to what people say. Also people should experiment with dropping the volume drivers into their windows 7 boxes to see if they can read the hard drives.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
What are the odds of being able to obtain a copy of WHS v1 once v2 ships? Will it become absolutely impossible or do you think it will hang around for a while?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So how many people here have tried vail yet, and what are your impressions? I'm gonna be getting a hard drive on Wednesday and will be ghetto dual booting vista and vail on my server.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
There aren't any add-ins available for Vail yet are there? I got it all installed and am anxious to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

Wait a minute:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/vail-is-now-windows-home-server-2011-drive-extenders-officiall/

"However, partition size is limited to 2TB for it to work with the server backup feature". So even if I do set up a RAID array, I would still have to split it up into separate drive letters?

So you're saying I should buy version 1 then.

Real content. I've been running my own file server off vista because between WMP, file sharing, and Zune software, it shared everything I needed to my Xbox 360 (this include, DivX, XviD, MP4, H.264 and MP2). Does V1 OR V2 share these same by default? Will I be able to throw Zune software on there or will i have to start syncing my Zune with my main computer? Will Windows Home Server do my laundry for me?

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 5, 2011

• Locked thread