Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Just a quick question about WHS v1... performance wise is it better to run the OS on a full 2 TB green drive, or run it on a smaller, faster drive say a 500gb 7200rpm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I don't suppose the OS can be run off of a USB key..

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

kri kri posted:

Don't see why not. Anyone know off hand how much v1 WHS OS is?

Newegg.ca lists it as $110 canadian

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

I wasn't meaning sarcastic. I thought you meant cost. Im torn between WHS, UNraid and a headless Ubuntu install at the moment... Im just trying to get all the info about WHS before I throw down the cash for it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

mostly im using to host and stream media.. videos and music specifically. It wont be high traffic. I have a mini PC running Ubuntu 10.04 with XBMC that I will be streaming to media too. I also got lucky with my condo, they have gigabit ethernet wired into the walls. Its going to be a high capacity server, starting out at 8 tb.

I like the dynamic drive pooling in WHC, redundancy isn't really a big issue for me. I wont be storing anything on there that I cannot afford to lose.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

kri kri posted:

Does anyone run a DVD/blu ray cataloging software on their WHS box? I looked at My Movies, but I am not thrilled being nickle and dimed with their features.

I think if you use a program for streaming it like XBMC or Boxee it'll take of all of that for you.

• Locked thread