Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity
Well, I've got to say that as disappointed that there aren't (at least initially) any media center tie in features, the updates sound pretty good as is.

I'm really surprised adding in the media center stuff hasn't been somewhat of a priority, because otherwise you just need more than 1 computer on to do stuff.

But hey, you can finally backup your WHS install (as well as your computer backups)

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/04/26/whats-new-in-windows-home-server-vail/3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

tonelok posted:

Are they thinking that being able to stream from it to anywhere through the Remote Access streaming or the Media DLNA Streaming will fill most people's needs? They'e also bumped up the codec support.

Or maybe they want you to buy an Xbox 360 and use that as a media front-end, especially since AT&T is/was working on DVR functionality for it.

I noticed that as well, and got excited there, but who knows. I wouldn't think so since Media center offers far more in the ability to browse different types of information, set it up as a DVR, and some other things. As far as the XBox thing goes, I've already got one and would prefer to use the MCE interface for watching videos (since I can see date/time information on the files) but to do that requires me to stream media over my wireless network to my PC, which then streams it wirelessly to my XBox, which causes the interface to run like complete and utter poo poo.

I am seriously looking forward to being able to just open up a browser and watch anything sitting on the server though.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

stgdz posted:

Is Veil going to have MCE integrated into it?

Current status is No. It might be added later, but as of the current beta there is no Media center capabilities built into the OS.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
My personal process is the following. I personally use the whole D:\shares access but this could be causing me some problems, but I haven't gotten around to changing it.

-utorrent is set up to monitor a directory for new torrents
-I use the web ui to label the torrents
-utorrent sticks the torrents into the label folders in a Downloads share
-I use synctoy to synchronize the different folders in the downloads share to their corresponding share locations, scheduled to run a couple of different times a day

Now this does cause me to have duplicate files stored, but as soon as I don't feel like seeding I delete the extras and keep the other files around (if desired).

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

EC posted:

Drive extender is being cut from Vail?! I'm at a loss as to what this product is turning into.

http://www.mswhs.com/2010/11/drive-extender-cut-from-home-server/

Was just about to post this myself. Drive Extender (v1 at least) was one of the root ideals of WHS. I can understand deciding to scrap the V2 of it, but I have no idea what WHS will be without that underlying principle, just a Windows Server 2008 skin?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like the WHS team answered that. We get RAID instead.

quote:

While this removes the integrated ability for storage pooling of multiple hard drives and automated data duplication, we are continuing to work closely with our OEM partners to implement storage management and protection using industry standard RAID solutions, as well as other software solutions. This will provide customers greater choice as well as a seamless experience that will meet their storage needs. Customers will also have access to the in-built storage solutions Windows Server 2008 R2 provides for data protection, including software RAID support. We are also still delivering core features such as automated Server and PC backup, easy sharing of folders and files, Remote Web Access and simplified management without any expected changes.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/archive/2010/11/23/windows-home-server-code-name-vail-update.aspx

SwiftStrikerInc fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 23, 2010

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

EC posted:

I'm at my in-laws for the holidays, and my father-in-law wants me to get AirVideo setup so he can stream stuff from his iPad. Every time I run the setup file, though, I get a "Windows cannot find the path specified, you may not have permissions for this item". Turns out it happens with any sort of executable. I couldn't find anything related to this on Google. I managed to get it installed by running the setup file from the command line, but it's a really weird problem.

WHS automatically blocks executables downloaded for protection (I guess). To unblock it, right click on the file and go to properties and there should be a button on the general page that says "Unblock". It would be nice if MS could fix that error message so that it would actually make sense for the situation.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

EC posted:

Thats strange. I've been running WHS since the early betas and never had that problem. Thanks for the solution, though.

Yeah, it sometimes does it for me and sometimes doesn't. Are you logging in as the Administrator account or another account you've dictated is an administrator? I generally see it when I RDP in as an account other than Administrator, but I try not to RDP in as Administrator.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

kri kri posted:

Drive Bender beta is out

http://www.drivebender.com/

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Does anyone know if a final ISO is available for Vail? I am interested in checking it out in a VM.

I believe the RTM should be up on MS connect.

EDIT: RC1 not RTM

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

beuges posted:

Drive Extender also does data de-duplication, which is especially useful for backups if you have multiple computers running the same or similar OS. I have a couple of Win7 machines, and a couple of Win2k8R2 machines being backed up to the same WHS box and the space used for backups is a fraction of the actual disk space that's actually being backed up.

I don't know if that was a function of Drive Extender, I think that is just WHS's backup functionality at work. So with Vail the backups will still work that way, it's just that storage of the backups is confined to whatever drive you tell it to put them on.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

Dobermaniac posted:

Is it possible to hide or remove some of the shares from the web interface of WHS? I'm setting it up for some friends to access pdf files, but don't want them to even be able to see the "videos", "pictures", etc. folders in the web interface.

Make sure the permissions for the user account they will use don't allow access to those shares. I can't check but in the WHS console you should be able to configure user privilege on the shares configuration. Right now I've got it so there is a user account that people can use to access music, videos, and some others as read only but they can only write to public and can't even see / access things like Documents and Users and such.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
So I just upgraded my WHS v1 box to WHS 2011 (well, installed 2011 to a new drive and need to move my data over). If I want to use a DE replacement, do I have to worry about moving my data into shared folders now or can I just move the data now? Also, what is the best DE replacement available?

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

jeeves posted:

I'm trying out Stablebit Drivepool with my four 2TB drives.

Setting it up was an absolute breeze. Their drive pool wizard is easy.

Copying from internal SATA to the pool is about ~50mb/sec. Can't properly test cross-network transfers, as my router is not gigabit.

Only peeve is that it shows all of the drives in your My Computer, even if they're pooled. But if you click on each individual drive, it doesn't show any data, as they are kept off in the magical Pooled folder somewhere. This is different than raids that would just show one drive. This is a moot point though, because this is only on the server itself, and not on the network shares. If I open My Computer on my own computer I am connecting from, it will show the proper drive space (as if condensed into one drive) via the network share.

I'm going to pop out one of my drives and see what another computer sees if I attach the drive via a SATA<->USB connector, but I think it won't work.

edit - oops, the pooled data is just kept within a hidden folder, that is why it shows nothing there on the drives.

Yeah, everything is just stored in a hidden folder on the drives. I tried out DrivePool but decided to shut it off for a couple of reasons:

- The Beta doesn't let you add the shares made from WHS proper (not a big deal)
- Shares created in the pool aren't shared through the Web interface
- You can't change the duplication setting after creating the share and can't set it to duplicate without having a second hard drive in place (makes it difficult with initial setup)

Now, all of these problems are being worked on (I think) and will be fixed when it's released but for right now I'll keep the standard.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

One Arm Manny posted:

Is anyone using StableBit Drivepool on 2011? I don't see a way to move the default shares over to the pool once it is created. Can this be done somehow and I'm just missing it?

I did mange to do it with Drive Bender on my test box by creating a drive letter mount point, unsharing the folders in disc management then recreating them on the pool drive in the console. It seemed to work ok that way.

If there isn't a way to do the same with Stablebit it seems like Drive Bender is the better choice.

From what I read on their forums, they're working on it and it will be in there when it's released, but not in there yet.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
kind of annoyed this happened shortly after I upgraded for $110 but WHS 2011 has dropped in price to $60 ($50 on sale this week on newegg) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416443&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-32-416-443-_-07182011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

kri kri posted:

Big news: drive pooling is returning to Windows Server 8.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/09/14/disk-pooling-announced-for-windows-server-8/

Also does anyone really want to make a new thread? I am thinking of re-doing this one but if someone else wants to take a stab go ahead. I have PMs if you want to talk about it.

Now of course I have to wait for the obligatory "Windows Home Server 2012 will have X new features as well Drive pooling, screw your 2011 purchasers!"

• Locked thread