Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just a heads up. My WHS started throwing errors backing up my computer (backup failure)a few days ago. Today I finally decided to see wtf. After running chkdsk /f a few times the problem was still happening, could not backup, it would stop at about %63. I finally decided to run chkdsk /f /r (repair bad sectors). And yeah it found a bad sector on my WD Raptor 150GB :( but at least it remapped the sector ok. Backups finished fine after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tonelok posted:

I got the same screen as you originally did.

Starting at that screen:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

I clicked on downloads on the left-hand side which led me to this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads

And then I clicked on this entry:

4/22/2010 Windows Home Server Code Name 'Vail' Preview 7495 Build

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=27765

Obviously at some point you need to request a product key:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ProductKeys

Assuming you are signed in and everything is okay, you should be able to go through that sequence. Probably what happened is you clicked on the 4/26/2010 entry instead of scrolling down a little.

Thank you kindly! I hope what people are saying isn't true about Drive Extender and pulling drives to access in other systems. I simply wont use WHS if thats the case.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generalissimo posted:

I saw this on Microsoft's forums:

Source: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/49a8c753-0f27-48af-a60f-a4eee49636cb

Response #3 sounds okay to me. I hope there will be enough feedback to get them to do more about #2 however.

Welp. I don't use RAID because I have to have the ability to mount drives in other computers to do recovery. WHS is now dead to me. loving hell MS. Garbage

quote:

I am not familiar with FlexRaid, but from what I gather it operates on top of a file system. Drive Extender v2 is a volume driver that sits *under* the file system. In other words, on a running Vail machine Drive Extender presents its data as regular NTFS volumes (each share, e.g. Music, Videos, etc. is a separate volume with its own drive letter), and all applications that live on top of NTFS and interact with NTFS through the documented interfaces should work just fine. In fact, application compatibility has *dramatically* improved compared to WHS v1, and making sure that we look just like regular NTFS volumes to applications (both local and remote) was one of our primary design goals for v2.

Internally, these NTFS volumes are sliced and diced into 1 GB chunks, which are distributed (in multiple copies if duplication is enabled) across multiple physical disks according to our own on-disk schema. DEVolume.sys (our driver, working only on Vail at the moment) is the only driver currently in existence that can parse this layout and present the aforementioned NTFS volumes to applications. Consequently, any system not running DEVolume.sys is currently unable to retrieve the data from directly connected DEv2 disks -- that includes all client Windows OS. This affects only situations when DEVolume.sys is not loaded / running -- primarily recovery scenarios, as mentioned in the original post.

So, bottom line is that I think that it will work. I encourage you to try and please let me know if it works or not (bulats at microsoft dot com)

Yeah so out of the question. :(

The only thing that kind of makes me interested is this:

quote:

What's new in Vail though is built-in ECC which detects and corrects single and double bit flips per disk sector, even when duplication is disabled. So reliability is improved even when duplication is disabled (not that we think that it should ever be disabled).

redeyes fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generalissimo posted:

I'd consider it acceptable for me if I could install something on another machine to allow it to read the drives. It doesn't really matter to me how their drive extender works internally, I just want to be able to recover on a different computer if I have to. Of course, he says their driver is "working only on Vail at the moment", so I guess at this point I'm hoping that it's only for the moment.

If the NTFS partition becomes damaged on WHS v1 you can yank drive, put it in a XP machine with something like R-Studio and recover files without a working file system.
Basically you can use any of the hundreds of utilities written for NTFS recovery. Without that ability WHS becomes basically another RAID box.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

zin posted:

You guys think it's better waiting for veil to be released before I buy a home server-box or buy now and upgrade later?

I'm not sure anyone is going to want it now. I'd say wait and see what happens.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blackswordca posted:

Just a quick question about WHS v1... performance wise is it better to run the OS on a full 2 TB green drive, or run it on a smaller, faster drive say a 500gb 7200rpm?

It will transfer at the speed of the disk. WHS does not influence the speed as long as you use decent Gigabit adapters.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

I stupidly installed a dynamic disk on a single drive a few years ago, and when I tried to plug it into another machine via USB<->SATA adapter it wouldn't read no matter what, and was generally a giant loving nightmare to deal with.

I was really hoping to wait until Vail to try out WHS, but the idea of dealing with more software raid weirdness honestly feels like a nightmare. I hope they fix that before releasing Vail but I it sounds like they won't.

This is me too. I actually downloaded the entire thing and then was about to set it up and was like... uh I don't actually want to do this. I felt kind of sad so I decided to reload WHS v1 pp3 and optimize the crap out of it. Oh well. Nice to know ya WHS. I wonder how long MS will support v1?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HDs take like 10w at most you crazy folks. My 8 drive server runs with a 350w.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MachinTrucChose posted:

I want to turn my desktop into a NAS that can survive the loss of a single drive. The OP's articles on Drive Extender piqued my curiosity.

But I already have a license for Windows Server 2008 R2 (I'm a home user though, I don't know or know how to use most of the features). Does it have an equivalent of Drive Extender? Would there be any advantage to getting WHS?

It does not have anything like Drive Extender. WHS is unique in that respect. I am only recommending WHS v1 because of the fact it stores all files in normal NTFS. In a situation where you have 2 failing drives WHS v2 loses all data while WHS v1 loses only the data on the 2 drives plus or minus recovery efforts. WHS v2 has no recovery software due to the way it uses disks. WHS v1 can use any of the hundreds of recovery utilities you can get for standard XP NTFS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jigoku San posted:

I've had a Acer EasyStore for a while now, its got the stock drive and 2 1.5tb drives.

The top most bay is the only one free and I don't really want to put a new 2tb drive in the hottest part of the system. Could I swap one of the 1.5s or even the system drive to the top without breaking anything software-wize?

I am nearly sure you can. WHS should not care which disk is plugged into which port except for the boot disk. Of course you swap them with the system turned off.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Canned Insanity posted:

A gotcha to watch out for when running WHS under Hyper-V is that if you have more than 2 storage drives, a server reinstallation would not be possible.
This is because WHSv1 can only perform the tombstone import during the installation phase; however you can't load the integration components (and thus the SCSI driver) until windows is installed (so you can only use the IDE channels, of which 2/4 are taken up by the system disk and install CD).

You can n-lite the WHS install, just do it to the SVR2003 dir only. I just customized my WHS install DVD to include Intel ACHI drivers so I would have fast disk through the install. Also the Install CD can be copied to a USB stick for install. so that leaves another free port. Secret to the USB install is yank the USB stick out after the initial loading screen, when you see the graphical install screen first start, yank and reinsert usb drive. Presto fast install.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RiceBurrito posted:

I have a 2TB Hitachi hard drive in my Windows Home Server that has a single bad sector. Googling didn't really help me figure out if its critical or not. Should I worry about it going bad real soon? I think it's been like that for a couple months and it shows that its reallocated.

It's in an Acer Easystore with an empty HD tray not being used right now. If I do buy an extra HD can I just throw the one in the extra slot and yank out the one with the bad sector to get it RMA since its still under warranty? Would I have the option to transfer the data from bad to the new drive?

You can probably safely ignore the bad sector but keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse. If you need to get a new drive, install it (attach it and add to pool), and then hit remove drive on the drive with the bad sector. Wait a few hours while it copies data off the HD into the pool and then remove the drive. No data loss necessary.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mrmonkeyman posted:

Can you install software on the HP Mediasmart EX490 remotely? This is a stupid question, but I want uTorrent and SABnzbd. Can I do that easily, or does it require some finagling? Can I access them via another computer outside of the network?

just remote desktop into the server and you get a full windows desktop

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just a word of advice. The newer WD Green Power drives from 1.5 to 2TB are REALLY slow in WHS. To the point that I decided to sell off all mine and go Samsung F3 drives. The difference is like night and day. My WHS flys now where before it was lagging and doing weird poo poo waiting for those green power drives. The Green Power drives used to be faster a few years back.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BorderPatrol posted:

Did you set the jumper so that they format in 4k blocks? That's the whole conversation we're having here and if you didn't then that's why your drives were slower.

The GP drives I have were not advanced format kind. So no jumper to set.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SRQ posted:

Well poo poo, I can't let it touch the files on that drive. Not happening.
Thanks for explaining that.

Plug the drive into the machine and turn it on. The drive will NOT be added to the pool automatically. You can copy your files to the drive pool at this point. After files are copied, open the Console and add the drive to the pool.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Decairn posted:

Use drive balance utility if you want to even our the sharing across drives. It can take a while but you can leave it chugging away on the server without issue.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

I know this exists but when I took a look at it it seemed... very dangerous. There is literally nothing gained by doing it anyhow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that works fine, just don't screw with the WHS structure on the disk.. such as adding or deleting files

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Telex posted:

is Vail available anywhere as a beta?

I might have MSDN/TechNet access to it but I haven't checked and if it's on an open-ish beta I'd be happy with that.

Linux isn't robust enough for what i want, and FreeBSD is too intimidating for my puny human brain so I'm tempted to wuss out and use what I know. (and the drive pools look easier to deal with than with ZFS to boot).

My major question is how fast are the drive pools assuming decent 7200RPM SATA2 drives? I was getting 20MB/s under linux with ZFS, I'm really hoping for something in the range of 60-80MB/s with WHS... is that even possible?

If you don't use those goddamn greenpower slow-as-poo poo drives you can expect WHS to deliver 50-100MB/s depending on drives. I like the Samsung F3 series because they are FAST.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Transfer rate on those drives is between 40-50MB/s at best. I have seen a lot lower too. Lowest around 15MB/s possibly. I don't really understand why there are areas that are so much slower.. possibly bad areas?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have a clue to change the time of day WHS checks/installs Windows Updates?

It seems to do it at midnight. I'm usually watching stuff that's getting streamed off of WHS at midnight. This makes me unhappy.

It runs a chkdsk on the data pool at midnight.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So.. I guess if one drive in your Vail array dies, you lose all your non-duplicated data on the array. Every time I want to try Vail I realize this can happen and that combined with the checksum overhead means you lose more than %50 of your HD space. UGGHHH.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have lost at least 4 drives on my WHS load, over the last uh, 4 years'ish. The drives always started throwing bad sectors first and then got worse as time went on. I have had the system drive fail once too. In all cases I only lost a FEW files, the ones that had bad sectors. I only duplicate my Music and Photo shares leaving my downloads and Video crap normal. The fact of the matter is that WHS is an extremely safe storage system with a few gotchas related to in-use files. The only reason I even care about Vail is the CRC checking seems nice as well as SMB v2 for greater performance.

In my testing Vail performed worse than V1 anyways. No idea why and I don't even care to find out.

quote:

The fact remains that MS is moving to this new filesystem for performance or stability reasons or whatever. If you have something important on your drive, duplicate it. If you don't duplicate it, then expect it to disappear when something fails, don't play percentages.

WHSv2 Drive extender IS more compatible than v1. No question. This allows you to run programs/data of any kind on a v2 share where only data storage really works on v1. Thats the whole reason right there. If you just need file storage then v1 is superior to v2. If you need compatibility then v2 is your system.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 9, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

Any news on a Vail release date? What's the best place to look for one?

No release data. In addition there are tons of bugs people are still reporting.. and major performance problems. Not even close if you ask me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its real simple, look for the hidden folder in the root of the drive, open it, should be another folder inside it called Shares, open that. It should have all your file shares in folders. Just copy all that stuff where ever you need it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, what about the fact that I've got multiple data drives? Out of curiosity...is the entire folder structure mirrored on each data drive, or just the folders that happen to have files stored on that specific drive?

Yeah the entire folder structure is mirrored on every drive. If something is unduplicated, it will only be on one drive however, dups are on 2 drives.

This is why I love WHS

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about parity protection is basically that files are moved around via normal NTFS. This means that if a file is somehow damaged windows itself will throw i/o errors and basically let you know about it right away. I have not heard of a single instance of invisible corruption occurring. I have however had plenty of drives take a poo poo and corrupt files. WHS immediately throws errors and kicks the drive offline. Not exactly the same thing as parity protection but it does work preventing corruption.

Anyways, have at it!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just to throw this out there, supercopier works great as well, and you get a nice GUI to boot. http://supercopier.sfxteam.org/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hooooly poo poo gently caress YOU MS!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

What options do we have now that this won't be working with Vail.

Stick with WHS1? I am pretty sure they'll cut off support for it asap and thus it will be open to exploits or whatever.

Go to Unix? I deal with servers all day long at work so I like coming home to something super simple like Windows.

Just go with Windows 2008 and let go of the drive extender? Ugh.

V1 is 2003 server so no, it will have updates for quite a long time. I am sticking with v1 myself.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With v1, do I need a separate OS drive? I can just chuck a spare 250Gb one in there.

Ironically, I had this machine built for me by my local computer shop because I'm far too busy and important lazy to build my own machines anymore, so I'll void the warranty by opening it up. Oh well.

Nah V1 does not use a seperate OS drive. A 250 will work fine for the boot drive, 20GB will be partitioned as system and the rest will be the storage pool.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scuttle_SE posted:

What's the easiest way to install WHSv1 and get your SATA-drives to use AHCI? Right now the installer won't detect any drives if I set them to AHCI. Do I have to use a floppy, or is there a way to inject drivers onto the cd?

Intel-chipped mobo...

I used Nlite and added the Intel RST drivers to the i386 folder of the WHS DVD. Worked great. You can also spend 15 bux and get a aftermarket SATA controller, use it to boot with and then flip the BIOS to ACHI and load the drivers as normal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scuttle_SE posted:

Alright, sounds easy enough... After writing that I came up with two more questions...

The first version o WHS used one disk as a "landing zone", meaning you had to periodically wait for the drives to balance themselves. Is that still the case? Or would I be better of using a smaller, faster disk for the system-drive?

I have today a bunch of 2TB-drives connected to a 2008-server. Some of them are WD-drives and I assume they use the new 4k sectors... will I have to reformat these drives if I connect them to WHS, or can I pull the information from them?

I was thinking of connecting maybe one or two empty drives, add those to the pool, connect a few of my full drives. Empty the full drives into the pool, then add those disk to the pool. Repeat until no more disks.

The landing zone thing went away with PP2 or PP3 I forget, point is WHS copies files directly to the drive it wants to now.

The new WD 2TB drives could very well be advanced format 4k drives. You will have to install the jumper to fool the OS into aligning the partition before adding them to the storage pool.

Your plan sounds fine though, that is the way I generally rebuild my WHS when I need to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK lets see if we can iron out the Advanced format 4k drives and WHSv1 (v2 supports them fine but gently caress v2).

The 4k drives have a jumper which fools XP and 2003 Server (whs v1) into aligning the first partition on the drive. So now, on v1 the boot drive will have 2 partitions (20GB C: and the rest for the storage pool). Since the jumper will only align the 20GB partition and NOT the rest which is the data pool, this is bad for performance.

The first HD which is the boot HD in WHSv1 should not be advanced format because of the alignment issue. The rest of the drives you add can be advanced format as long as you install the jumper BEFORE adding the drive to the storage pool. Adding the drive will automatically format and partition it so you need that jumper on before hand.

Hope that makes sense.

Boot Drive 1 - non advanced format
Pool Drive 2 - adv format with jumper
Pool Drive 3 - adv format with jumper
etc

quote:

I think you're supposed to set the jumper, but when i tried to set my EARS drive up WHS could never format it no matter what i did to it, so i just gave up and went with Vail.

From what I read that shouldn't happen but it makes me wonder since I haven't tried it first hand. This link: http://homeservershow.com/wd-ears-drives.html says it works.

[edit] As far as I know only the WD drives are adv format. I do infact have a 2TB Samsung in my WHS working fine.

[edit] apparently you can do this too:

quote:

Since I have a brand new HP EX490, I’m going to pull the OEM 1TB drive, install brand new WD20EARS as primary drive, then install the OS (WHS). At first chance I can, pull the drive and connect to Win7 machine and run the WD align tool; no jumper on the drive throughout this whole process. Once that is done, it should be good to go back in my EX490 and never look back. I’ll then install a 2nd WD20EARS into the unit/pool. I’ll add the jumper to pins 7-8 and nothing else should need to be done… Same thing to the 3rd and 4th drive if I get more EARS drives.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tux Racer posted:

Why would a small business use DE when RAID5 is a much better method for redundancy? I get why it's great for the average Joe who just wants to access his media from any computer/compatible device since if there is a drive failure, it can mostly be recovered, but for a small business (or any business), such a thing is asinine.

This product was for home users though. Fact is that it kicks the rear end of any RAID5 I have tried. I mean point me to the RAID5 solution that has ~100MB/s reads and writes and also has fully automated incremental rotated backups for up to 10 computers on my network. Oh and my redundancy is based on each of my logical 'shares'. Makes it easy to optimize the use of your hard drive space. You can have a huge folder of throw away garbage and also have important data mirrored from the same set of drives. All automatic. You can also add or remove drives at will.. grow or shrink the storage pool.

RAID5 for 100 bux or under can't do any of that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MeestarK posted:

My HP MSS EX470 has been randomly powering off lately, as well as the PSU fan ha sbeen grinding for months now and is finally starting to drive me insane. Opted to build myself a new box with the following:

Lian Li PCQ08 Cube
Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Mini ITX
Intel Core i3 540
Kingston 4GB DDR3
Antec Basiq Modular 550W PSU

Opted to spend the extra $100 to go for an i3 build instead of an Atom build in case I wanted to do some transcoding on the fly/power for Vail (although Vail plans are on hold now). I'm going to move the HDDs from my current to this box and I figure I'll go with WHSv1 for now. For anyone whos built a recent WHSv1 box, should I expect any issues or should it be a relative breeze?

Total breeze except for one thing which is ACHI drivers for WHS which doesn't come with them. You can of course install in IDE mode, shut down, change HD to the purple SATA ports, go into bios change to ACHI mode. Boot back up and install the Intel Rapid Storage Manager.

Bam!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
WHS is definitely the way to go for 'set it and forget it' type backups. I rely on it to backup my business and home machines and it has never let me down. In addition the incrementals have saved me a few times after I overwrote a file which I didn't mean to. Whats even better, the backups check changed blocks on each machine and that means if a HD fails or develops bad sectors in anything on my network I find out when the next backup is run. That has been invaluable for me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Can I safely change which controllers and ports all my hard drives (except the system drive) are plugged in to?

You can change all of them, even the system drive. Just make the bios aware which disk to boot from.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You are blaming WHS when those drat WD drives are to blame. Its not so much that they are 5400RPM... its that they are SLOW AS loving poo poo. I have a Samsung 1.5 5400RPM in my server and no problems. I was having problems like you describe and after getting rid of those green power drives, everything works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with the green power drives isn't sequential reads, its overlapped i/o. They are something crazy bad like half the performance of any normal 7200RPM drive. To put it in perspective I had serious streaming problems with all (4) green power drives. This was 6 or so months ago. It got so bad I ripped my WHS apart, sold off all the GP drives and put in Samsung f3 1GB drives. It was drastic no doubt but right now I get between 50-100MB/s streaming to and from my WHS at any time of the day. Hell even chkdsk at midnight wont interrupt my HD videos.

There was another issue that I never really got to the bottom of. I traced it down to one particular revision of the 1.5TB GP drives that I had. That drive would go down to 1-5MB/s for no apparent reason. I actually pulled the drive out of the WHS and tested it in my Windows 7 computer. After an hour or so I found the same performance problems but it was not at all obvious right away. I did RMA that disk and the replacement didn't show those problems. Needless to say, I say far the hell away from GP drives for my WHS.

My WHS specs for anyone that cares are:

Intel 965 based microatx mobo with 6 SATA ports.
Core 2 Duo e4500 (2.2ghz)
2GB Corsair RAM
Marvel Yukon PCI-E Network card
5xSamsung F3 1GB drives
1xSamsung 1.5TB Green power type drive

works perfect

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 7, 2010

• Locked thread