Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Zoodpipe posted:

Is the OS installed in it's own partition in your drive pool?

Yes. And the data on the drives in the pool is stored in standard NTFS so that it's readable on another machine. Assuming the hardware specs aren't too far out of whack it seems like upgrading to WHS v2.0 wouldn't be impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

My ex485's OS install crapped out and I got a cheap copy of 2011, so I'm installing that now. Are Drive Bender/DrivePool/MonStor worthwhile replacements for DE yet?

Any other good add-ins I could install?

Tivac fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 15, 2011

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

kri kri posted:

Drivepool is working really well for me. Like jeeves said it's a little slow but the next release cycle M4 iirc should be the performance release. I would say the current release is much more solid that WHS v1 ever was.

Awesome. I have a few questions about it.

You're able to upgrade between beta releases without it making GBS threads the bed or anything?
I assume it is going to be a commercial product eventually?

Tivac fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 16, 2011

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Did you install 2011 on your EX485? If so, how's that working?

Worked great for a day or so, then something gave out & now it won't boot. I suspect the PSU, so I'm going to try and get a compatible shuttle power supply to replace it.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I recall the only flaw I encountered with Drivepool was a while back when it would "lose" all of the shares in the pool. They were still on the drives but you had to manually re-add them after each reboot. That bug's been long gone and it seems to be incredibly stable and full of features now. No issues with Drivepool and WHS 2011. I do wish they would issue another update roll-up though and fix that GPT problem.

GPT problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Correct. There's speculation that the next update roll-up patch for WHS 2011 will fix the issue, but that's not really confirmed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272 seems to get partway there. Is WS2012 Essentials user friendly enough that a WHS v1 refugee could figure things out?

• Locked thread