Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Anybody have a mirror(s) for the vail beta? Downloading 4gb at 33k from the official link aint gonna cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Anybody have a mirror(s) for the vail beta? Downloading 4gb at 33k from the official link aint gonna cut it.
Somebodys got to have this.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Would this suffice as a motherboard/processor for running WHS?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.564797

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

SneakyCracker posted:

Soooooo... my WHS box won't boot. After disabling the automatic restart on failure, I find out that I have an Unmountable Boot Volume. Before I declare my OS drive toast, I'd like to try repairing the MBR, as I've seen this restore drives in this state to a healthy working state in the past.

My problem is this - how the hell do I get into a recovery console on a WHS machine to do this? Using the install disc, there is no "press R to start the recovery console" option like there is on other OS discs. Being that WHS is based on Server 2003 SBS, I gotta imagine there is a recovery console in some form for it.

I've also tried using a Hiren's Boot CD in the hopes of using one of the MBR repair utilities it contains, but thats a no-go as well.

Anybody who's a bit more knowledgeable in WHS than I am know how to do this? Or am I just hosed here?

Thanks.

The beta that I downloaded earlier today included an .iso named SrvRecovery.iso. Do you have that? It sounds like it's probably the server recovery disc.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

TDD_Shizzy posted:

I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

With that being said, I do really like WHS because its plug and play, but then again, I only use it for drive extender and duplication. My server 2008 r2 box handles backups, web hosting among other things.

Whats the price difference between server 2008 (and the CALs) vs. WHS?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I'm about to buy a copy of WHS but have a couple questions first. Is the one listed here the one I want?
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-System-Builder/dp/B001E5Q8CO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291944760&sr=8-3
Secondly, are the power packs free? Or do those have to be purchased separately? Lastly, the product that I linked to above, that includes the client software as well, right? Sorry for the dumb questions but the link isnt very descriptive.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Any known incompatibilities or issues with WHS v1 and Samsung Spinpoint f3 hard drives?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

What's the best anti-virus software available for WHS (preferably free)?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of mixed information regarding MSE. Some say "it works...but isnt supported so use at your own risk" to "it wont even install".

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

univbee posted:

Seconding this, I think this is the ONLY solution designed for WHS. It's not even very expensive, depending on the size of your network you can get a 10-computer license (which is WHS's max supported clients number anyway) for like the price of 2 regular licenses (i.e. you get one "WHS" license and ten "client" licenses you can deploy and manage from the WHS interface).

But it's $40 per year :smith: I wouldnt at all mind paying $40 once...but annually? Supposedly ClamWin works on WHS as well. I guess I'll try that out after my demo period for Avast ends.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

modeski posted:

I've just received the WHS1 OEM DVD, but have no optical drive on my WHS box. Originally I planned to copy the DVD to a bootable USB and install from there, but I've run into a problem - I can't use the DISKPART utility to create a bootable USB drive because I only have Windows XP. XP only recognises USB drives as removable volumes, not disks.

I do have an external USB hard drive. Would this be a suitable alternative? If I was to make this bootable using DISKPART on XP, would it then be a matter of just copying the WHS DVD onto that, hooking it up to the WHS and setting it as the first boot device? Any help or pointers in this area would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Reworded.

You should be fine using the USB HD. Just follow the instructions here to set it up: http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Install_Windows_From_a_USB_Flash_Drive

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

modeski posted:

EDIT: Is the simplest way just to disconnect all drives other than the system drive, install the OS then reconnect the other drives and add them to the storage pool?

Yep. Install the OS, then reconnect all the other drives afterwards.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

This isnt really WHS specific, but its happening to me on my WHS machine so I'll post it here. I used a scheduled task to run a program called WhsClientBackupNotifier every day at 3:30 to send me an email letting me know about the status of my backups. These are sent via the windows SMTP service installed on my server. The first few days this ran without any issues...then I stopped getting the emails. I checked my spam folder, not there either. I started going through logs on the server and could see the job kicking off and completing each day, but I still wasnt receiving any emails. I next looked at the system event log and noticed that at 3:30:04 every day I received the follwing warning: "Message delivery to the host '72.14.213.27' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'gmail.com' for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host". Now, I'm assuming that gmail has blocked my ISPs (time warner cable) range of IP addresses, probably due to spam/bot activity in the past. Any way of fixing this?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I'm hoping that MS works the new Win8 Storage Spaces feature into the next version of WHS. If/when they do, I'll ditch my install of WHS v1 and migrate to that. For now, sticking with v1, because it just works.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

My WHS v1 machine has been running just fine for over a year now, but suddenly I'm having a problem with the backup from my win7 machine. The backup has been running for 2 days now. Prior backups were taking in the neighborhood of 5-10 minutes. I've cancelled the backup, did a cleanup/repair on the database on the server, and ran chkdsk on the win7 machine. Anybody seen this before and know how to fix it?

*edit* Disregard. I reset the switch that both machines are plugged into and backups are working normally again.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 20, 2012

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

EC posted:

What magic do I need to put on a Macbook Pro so it can see a WHSv1 box? I know nothing about Macs.

What do you mean by "see"?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Anybody had any luck getting win8 pro workstations to be accessed remotely via the "Computers" page in WHS v1's remote access? My workstation shows up in the list, but shows up as "Access disabled". Remote access is in fact enabled on the workstation, and the "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication" box is unchecked, and my user account is listed as having access to the machine. I can also remote into the workstation from another machine on the LAN without any issue.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Anybody have a download link to an .iso of the first version of WHS? I need to reinstall but my disc is long gone (I've moved 3 times). Googling gets me nowhere. Not asking for any serials or warezish type BS, I have a legit key already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I pulled this URL from the MSDN site http://goo.gl/dt3m8r

Thanks, that worked perfectly :D

• Locked thread