Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

What's an average time to remove a 2tb drive? It hasn't been running very long, I'm just kind of curious. I'm assuming the drive is mostly full.

My full (one was failing) 1.5TB drives took me 10hrs each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Suniikaa posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on defrag programs made for WHS? Good/Bad?

I've run PerfectDisk for WHS since v10. It runs fine, I don't think it's needed but ages ago I got a great deal on the license so it does its thing.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

RiceBurrito posted:

I have a couple bad sectors on the main drive with the OS on it. It looks like I can't simply remove it from the pool. Is it possible for me to shut down the server, clone the old drive to a bigger drive and just reinsert the newer bigger drive into the Home Server? I really don't want to reinstall the OS if possible and I can RMA the old drive and use it as a spare or something.

Yup quite possible. I've done it multiple times, it works just fine.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Hibame posted:

Does the Vail beta version have a limit to how long it runs? I have been getting notifications saying that this copy of windows will expire soon and I should back up all my data.

It should have the standard 180 day limit that all beta/eval software from MS has. Unless it was forced to expire to make you get the next beta/RC

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of mixed information regarding MSE. Some say "it works...but isnt supported so use at your own risk" to "it wont even install".

I just tried installing MSE on my box. I get 'unsupported OS' and refuses to install on WHSv1 PP3

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Liberty_MI posted:

Sorry I am coming into this so late in the game. Are there any companies that are still making decent WHS Nas anymore? My brother in law picked one up over a year ago for my fathers office, and it works fantastically for keeping things backed up, and has been very easy to maintain, so was wondering if I should get one for home.

IF you guys were to buy one now in the $4-600 range what one would you look at?

AFAIK Acer still makes their WHS box. HP Dropped out of the game and is going a different route.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

tomapot posted:

The discs from New Egg won't work or do I need to rebuild it?

The disc from NewEgg will work just fine, you'll just have to reinstall/rebuild.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

So I'm running out of space, again. My plan is to fill this server up with drives and data until I have to build a new one. I have two SATA ports left, so I'm thinking that I could extend the life a little longer by buying a 3tb drive. Has anyone had any experience in installing one of these in WHSv1?

I'm hoping that by the time I fill up another 4-6tb, there will be a clearer replacement. I'd like to stick with WHS, but I want to see how the 3rd party DE replacements work out over time.

So here's the thing. WHS is an x86 OS so it can only recognize a maximum partition size of 2.1TB (due to MBR limits). There is a patch available to let WHS (Server 2003) format a drive as GPT but you'd end up having to break the drive into a minimum of 2 partitions (2.1TB and 800GB), and the WHS console will only see the first 2.1TB partition. Vail supports the larger drives and larger (GPT) partition sizes.

If you're OK essentially wasting 800GB of space for a while then get the 3TB drives and upgrade later.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Finally got around to upgrading to 2011 this weekend. Backed up everything (ugg, backing up 8TB of poo poo :() And Added one of these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115057) created an 8x2TB drive RAID5 (14TB Usable) and then tossed the OS on two 1TB drives in RAID1. It's been very solid so far, anything I should be looking out for?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Scrotos posted:

So I read a lot of this tread and just had a general question, as someone looking to get a media server but does not want to get bogged down in a lot o technical detail software or hardware wise would you all recommend just buying the latest HP Media Server? Or a different line of pre packaged servers?

HP or Acer, both are decent products and WHS2011 is stupid simple to setup and maintain

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Scrotos posted:

Any specific model, Amazon has the HP EX495 but it seems expensive but I can not find other models. Is this the model the group thought would recommend?

I'd go with the Acer Revocenter currently on promo for $260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rica-_-59321016

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/revocenter

HP seems to have moved out of the home server market and switched to letting their proliant micro server series support WHS. So you'd be forced to buy a server, a copy of WHS2011, a drive and then do the install yourself.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Maneki Neko posted:

This is good hardware though. Newegg has run bundles on this + WHS 2011 in the past, but WHS 2011 is pretty cheap on OEM form.

It's great hardware, enterprise level support too. You can get a 4hr mission critical 5 year warranty on that box :)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

That's awesome! When I W8 out anyway? I haven't been following development at all. I'd much rather keep a Win server than have to learn something completely new.

In theory it should be out in Aug/Sept of this year, in time to do well for the Christmas season.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

modeski posted:

Question - should I format the drive? I don't want anyone seeing the data that is still on there, but then I want to make sure they can see the drive is faulty.

http://www.dban.org/

download that and run it on the drive, it will fail due to CRC errors at some point but it's a safer bet of keeping the data private than just formatting it in windows.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

MrFist posted:

I have a problem with my windows home server box, heres the specs

athlon x2 3ghz cpu
8gb ram
2 x 2tb harddrives
asus motherboard

Im connected via a gb switch, which for the most part works very fast 100mb transfer speeds, but now and again my home server box just bogs out, is as though the network is completely maxed out, but I know nothing is using it at the time.

The only way I can get it back to normal is disabling the network adapter and reanabling it and its all back to lightening speeds, on the home server box that is.

Any ideas? thanks

Verify that your server/client/switch are all set to use the same packet size. One of them might be sending Jumbo Frames which can cause this sort of issue.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Thermopyle posted:

Short supply, and rated for 24/7 operation.

They also include some firmware features useful to people with hardware raid controllers (or linux software raid, which can also take advantage of them)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tapedump posted:

So, I just built a WHS 2011 system and found out that it won't back up my main Win7 client machine because it has an SSD using GPT (1 UEFI partition, 1 System Reserved partition, 1 OS partition).

Is there a way to convert from GPT to MBR, or am I going to have to either a) reformat/partition and re-install Windows or b) use some other backup solution?

The official MS response is you can convert GPT > MBR as long as there are no volumes on the disk (so you'd lose the data) You can attempt this work around

http://www.firewing1.com/node/610#gpttombr

MS being unhelpful
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725797.aspx

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tapedump posted:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like trying to convert is more hassle than I am comfortable dealing with right now.

Since I have a functioning WHS v1 box with six months of backups of this Win7 GPT SDD system, I wonder if I couldn't just restore my most recent client backup from that old server to a MBR-repartitioned (or just plain new) SSD.

Any thoughts?

That would be fine, since you're restoring from backup just blank the drive of any partition data before the restore and it will work.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tivac posted:

GPT problem?

I assume we're speaking to the fact that WHS2011 can't backup data off of disks that have GPT partitions, or those computers with UEFI enabled boot volumes. WS2012 Essentials fixed both of these issues

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Tivac posted:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272 seems to get partway there. Is WS2012 Essentials user friendly enough that a WHS v1 refugee could figure things out?

If all you wanted to do was media serving and backups? Yes it's dead simple. The cost is a bit steeper (around $500 i think, it's $100 if you know someone who works for MS)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

:stare: Well then. I had no idea there was a hotfix out for that issue. I suppose now there's really no reason not to use WHS 2011 (at least in my opinion.)

Yup same here, glad to see it got released.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Is there a way to remove the drives that are offline/no longer on a client computer from the backup selection window in client computer backups? Running WHS2011 and i seem to lack the ability to have the server re detect the drives attached to the client. I've uninstalled the connector software and removed all client data, i reinstall the connector and the old drives show up as (offline)

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

EC posted:

Does Server Essentials have all the backup features of WHS2011? That's one of the big things that keeps me locked into WHS. It just works.

Yes it does, it also supports DirectAccess and some other remote app stuff that WHS2011 doesn't do.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Buy a copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard and enable the Windows Server Essentials Role. It's the replacement for WHS/SBS 2011. If all you need is the drive pooling and not the backup/user management/etc then Windows 8.1 would be fine, or roll a ZFS box of some flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Why not Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials? Unless you're recommending Windows Server 2012 Standard because of the additional features and less licensing restrictions. Standard is around $800-900 and Essentials is around $500. I still recommend WHS 2011, though simply because of the price.

Only reason was i didn't think you could get Essentials in the pseudo-oem or system builder channel, thought it was limited to Tier1 OEM only. Now that google tells me i'm wrong, I'd vote for that. Yes the price is higher but it's considerably more capable than WHS2011 if you will ever take advantage of any of the features or the tie ins to Windows Azure for backup, O365, etc. I understand that for most people they will never need or want to run a domain at home but if you'd like to get your feet wet WSE2012R2 isn't a bad way to get started.

• Locked thread