Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
I'm putting together a server made from my previous q6600 build and adding 5x 3TB drives. If I want at least double redundancy (server can survive two drives dying before losing data), which version of WHS should I go for? From reading this thread it seems 2011 is the newest but has had its RAID-like functionality functionality removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

I'd like to avoid hardware RAID if possible, because of the mentioned expense. So is 2011 the way to go? What does "software RAID but no drive pooling" mean? Those terms are a bit muddled for me.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense now. Part of what attracted me to building a Windows Home Server is that I can use this file level duplication technology and not RAID, with the advantage of being able to take out a drive and read it on another machine if i have issues.

So, seeing as I'm building a 5x 3TB server, what version of WHS should i go with that has this drive pooling?

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

kri kri posted:

If you can deal with add-on pooling technology both Drivepool and Drive bender provide this. I use drivepool and it works fine. I have 12tb or so I forget.

After doing some more reading I think this might just be what I go for - WHS 2011 with DrivePool. Have you had any problems with it? Have you ever lost any data? Have you had to add or remove drives yet and how well did it deal with those scenarios?

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

He just took it down. I just finished installing my server, should I grab M3 for now and upgrade later? Or should I wait for M4 to come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

M4 is back up and I downloaded and installed build 5449. I've got two 3TB drives in my server for now. One of the drives has about 2.5TB of movies on it that I obviously don't want to lose. If I make a pool now out of the two drives, will I lose that data? What I want is to make a new pool out of the two drives without anything happening to the existing data on drive 1.

• Locked thread