Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Questions on using this to serve media:

Would I be loving myself to put some WD "Green" 5400rpm drives to stream video, etc. to an XBox 360 or should I consider nothing less than 7200rpm?

I'm wanting to build one.

Is the Maximum PC build the way to go? What is the max I should look at putting into this as far as specs go (prior to veil or whatever)?

My use is pretty much file storage, media streaming of music/video to xbox 360, PS3, PC, Laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Just ordered two EX490 MediaSmart servers.

My primary use is file storage (documents, photos, music, videos) and streaming (xbox 360/ps3).

I am wanting to purchase 3 drives to put in the remaining slots. Anyone have anything against me purchasing 3 of the WD20EARS "green" drives in terms of performance issues?

Also - am I capable of running a web server on one of these? (Low traffic, maybe 5-10 users).

• Locked thread