Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
donofrio here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Crespolini posted:

bayaz looks like a bald brendan gleeson, surely

This is a good fit, bayaz is a pretty thick guy

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DeVito or bust.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

This is a good fit, bayaz is a pretty thick guy

ya.and he's good as a guy who seemed like a such a kindly man 2 seconds ago, until he raised his voice in anger and now you'd like to be somewhere else

:cheers:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

On that note, Shivers is current Travis Fimmel in Vikings, and Jappo is Travis Fimmel when he was younger and a Calvin Klein model:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
shivers is like 6'8" bruv

you need a hound-esque dude to sell it

dude who played rollo would be a much more appropriate shivers

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I think Jeff Bridges is very sick currently, sadly. I also picture Bayaz as much younger, but maybe I'm wrong.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I would also accept Alexander Skarsgard for Shivers

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ray Stevenson as literally every character.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Suxpool posted:

shivers is like 6'8" bruv

you need a hound-esque dude to sell it

dude who played rollo would be a much more appropriate shivers

Just do whatever they do for Tom Cruise.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just do whatever they do for Tom Cruise.

Cgi to make him look younger?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vichan posted:

My Bayaz.

This is exactly how I picture him too

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PopetasticPerson posted:

After the new book I went back and decided to go back through the whole series. I'm halfway through TLaoK now and my main thought is that it's a loving crime that GOT got a show but this isn't ever going to. So many awesome things to see, the House of the Maker, Alcus, the High Places, Dagoska, and Adua at the end.

I've been thinking about how to translate the Bloody Nine to the screen and I can't come up with much good. The way the narration changes would be hard to convey with facial expression and body language, I think. The way he writes it, you get chills once Logan starts going cold. There's real fear about what he might do once you actually understand the degree to which he's possessed. I don't know how to show that, but that's probably just because I'm not a director.

Anyway in hindsight, TTWP is definitely a better book than BtaH. It's hard to say if the first book of the new trilogy is better than the first of the old, since I already know where all the characters go the actual development has a much different flavor. I used to think I cared more about Logan and Jezel and everyone more when the first book ended as opposed to Orso and Leo and all at the same point. But I'm not sure anymore, rose colored glasses and all.

The main thing though is the fact that most of the best parts of the whole trilogy are in the last half of the last book. That just makes me so super stoked for September. Also, God bless Joe Abercrombie for his writing schedule. Taking the time to practically finish the whole thing before releasing the first book makes the wait between books almost bearably short. Joe might not exist without GRRM going first but gently caress, GRRM could definitely learn more than a few things from Joe.

Side note: Steven Pacey is just so loving good. If anyone ITT is actually reading the books I strongly suggest you stop and get the audiobooks. He's so good at the 'ughs' and 'gahs' and his timing is perfect. He also does shouting pretty well, I'm thinking specifically of General Poulder demanding an apology. Had me laughing out loud. Not to mention Logan and Ferro's scene, I look forward to that every re-listen. It hasn't stopped being funny yet.

This is one situation of many where I think animation would be a much better job than live action. You can stuff like changing the style of a character's eyes in animation, or even change the color tone of a whole scene that shows how the atmosphere has changed when a character goes into berserker mode. And voice actors are better at altering the tone of their voices when changing personality. It also wouldn't cost 15 million an episode.

I pretty much feel every fantasy series would be better animated. Give it to a studio like Mappa, Wit, or 4c in Japan. My ideal First Law series would look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljqdmWkCuik

Of course the way things are going it'd probably get a mostly CG adaption like that new Dragon's Dogma series and I think I'd take live action over that.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finally finished the new book after very slowly reading it; I also loved the scene where Leo and Orso have their meetings with Jappo, and Leo is so completely out of his element that not only does he fail to make any kind of deal, but he manages to reveal the names of several of his co-conspirators before leaving. It was such an obviously bad idea to send him in there alone that I have to wonder why on earth Savine would let him do it, it was such a predictable outcome that I assumed it must have been some kind of 4d chess move, but I guess it's all part of the larger thing of Savine not quite being as competent as her POV chapters would have us think she is

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
none of the northmen except perhaps like calder should ever be played by beautiful model-like men. they are poorly-groomed BRUTES raised to a life of EXTREME VIOLENCE. save your masturbatory fantasies for jezal or flashback glokta.

ray stevenson is definitely the right idea

Ainsley McTree posted:

I finally finished the new book after very slowly reading it; I also loved the scene where Leo and Orso have their meetings with Jappo, and Leo is so completely out of his element that not only does he fail to make any kind of deal, but he manages to reveal the names of several of his co-conspirators before leaving. It was such an obviously bad idea to send him in there alone that I have to wonder why on earth Savine would let him do it, it was such a predictable outcome that I assumed it must have been some kind of 4d chess move, but I guess it's all part of the larger thing of Savine not quite being as competent as her POV chapters would have us think she is

this was my favorite scene in the whole book. not the leo part, but the juxtaposition where orso completely disarms jappo by meeting him on his own terms. sex? drugs? indolence? the champ is here

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I think the first time in the series we're treated to an outsider's view of a Northman, they make it a point to highlight how shockingly scarred-up and ugly he is.

Granted it's Logen and he's a special case but any veteran warrior is probably going to be in that same aesthetic, Shivers should absolutely not be classically handsome

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Shivers was meant to be pretty good looking prior to getting his face hosed up? He's still pretty young and earnest then, didn't yet have the marks of a veteran fighter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

multijoe posted:

I thought Shivers was meant to be pretty good looking prior to getting his face hosed up? He's still pretty young and earnest then, didn't yet have the marks of a veteran fighter.

I could be confusing my headcanon for text descriptions, or maybe I'm just too focused on the eye thing. I suppose he was pretty enough for Murcatto

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's a big difference between being scarred by the northern warrior culture shown in these books, and being ugly. The actors in this hypothetical would have makeup and costuming, don't worry.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Suxpool posted:

none of the northmen except perhaps like calder should ever be played by beautiful model-like men. they are poorly-groomed BRUTES raised to a life of EXTREME VIOLENCE. save your masturbatory fantasies for jezal or flashback glokta.

Rude. But how about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) for Glokta? In GoT he both got to play a handosme, cocksure master-swordsman rear end in a top hat AND a bitter cripple in a lot of pain. He even unexpectedly killed a scary henchman (Jab! Jab! Jab!).

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

shivers may be pretty enough, but logan can't not have a bruised slab of meat for a face. and body

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

Rude. But how about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) for Glokta? In GoT he both got to play a handosme, cocksure master-swordsman rear end in a top hat AND a bitter cripple in a lot of pain. He even unexpectedly killed a scary henchman (Jab! Jab! Jab!).

glokta begs for a top tier character actor. idk if they could make NCW look hideous enough for the role. put paul giamatti on a diet and he'd be perfect. or fatten him up and give him bayaz, whatever.

that and all the other bullshit i've declared aside, it seems to me that Abercrombie has great taste in prestige tv dramas and if we're ever lucky enough to get a tv adaptation he'll make sure the actors are appropriate to the role. hopefully.

Suxpool fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 23, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Timothée Chalamet for Jezal.

Logan would be hard to cast. Antony Starr needs to put on some bulk and heels, and he'd be perfect. His ability to switch between charisma and always being on the precipice of violence as Homelander has made me a fan, and that duality is what Logan needs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just catching up on other comments posted in the thread while I was slowly reading the book; I personally got more of an asexual vibe from Antaup's short POV section than a gay vibe, but I do think there's something kind of funny about the idea of Leo being a homophobic closeted bisexual (I think) and subconsciously surrounding himself with an entourage of hunky gay men (though I can't remember if we got any evidence of Jin's orientation)

That said I do think it's a minor bummer that Abercrombie decided to include homophobia in his fantasy universe, but I suppose it could have been tropier; Jurand and Galward could have come riding to the rescue and died for Leo at the last minute, at least they didn't get buried.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Suxpool posted:

True, I imagine them as ugly greasy bastards with long stringy hair. Not a single one is pleasant to look at in my head except maybe Shivers before his... ordeal.. Hell I even imagined when first reading the original trilogy that Logen was bald, like some kind of large, muscular and scarred Gollum with a beard.

I also imagined the original bunch of Logens follower all as 20 years older than they where with a lot of grey, except shivers, so I had to revise that downwards after reading further books and seeing they couldn't be that old yet.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 24, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I don't remember him being especially tall, I got the idea that most people find him kind of unassuming for a North Man until they see him in action. But it's been a while since I've read. In my brain he always kind of looks like Lobo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't remember him being especially tall, I got the idea that most people find him kind of unassuming for a North Man until they see him in action. But it's been a while since I've read. In my brain he always kind of looks like Lobo

I feel like in the first chapter where other people see Logen he stands out as being unusually large and tall but admittedly it's been a while since I read it, I might be misremembering.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I do remember that too, and he makes a woman run away in fear by smiling at her in the beginning. Ferro thinks of him as "the big pink" at first. And then there's how he's characterized in Red Country.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

he's a big guy, but not freakishly so iirc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I mostly assume that people in stories like these are a lot shorter on average than today as well. So Logen could be nearly freakishly large at say 6'2".

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

His Divine Shadow posted:

True, I imagine them as ugly greasy bastards with long stringy hair. Not a single one is pleasant to look at in my head except maybe Shivers before his... ordeal..

Maybe Glama Golden? Wasn't his thing in part being handsome?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stour Nightfall is clearly meant to be handsome in a byronic badboy kind of way as well

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devorum posted:

DeVito or bust.

Danny Devito for Bayaz, just give him a beard and shave his head and tell him to play Frank Reynolds.
“When I’m dead, just throw me in the trash.”
“Well, I don’t know how many years Magic’s got left. I’m gonna get real weird with it.”
The rear end in a top hat rich guy, who doesn’t give his friends a dime, while pretending to pick up the monster condom he uses for his magnum dong?

He’s 100% perfect.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Notahippie posted:

Maybe Glama Golden? Wasn't his thing in part being handsome?

I thought his whole thing was funny mustache

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like in the first chapter where other people see Logen he stands out as being unusually large and tall but admittedly it's been a while since I read it, I might be misremembering.

yeah if we're gonna go on the Northman scale Logen is tall(or rather tall by anyone else's standards), Shivers is very tall, and the Thunderhead is the tallest bastard anybody's ever seen. comparing this to the Scandanavians, in my mind, that would put them around 6'4"ish, 6'6"-6'8"ish, and 7 footish.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

Danny Devito for Bayaz, just give him a beard and shave his head and tell him to play Frank Reynolds.
“When I’m dead, just throw me in the trash.”
“Well, I don’t know how many years Magic’s got left. I’m gonna get real weird with it.”
The rear end in a top hat rich guy, who doesn’t give his friends a dime, while pretending to pick up the monster condom he uses for his magnum dong?

He’s 100% perfect.

It's really a perfect casting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He has played villains before....

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it would be interesting to see DeVito play Bayaz without really yucking it up, see him play the UNLIMITED POWER scene at the end of Last Argument of Kings without turning into Frank Reynolds

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
"Can I offer you a kingdom in these trying times?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Other People's Money Devito is a pretty good approximation of Bayaz at the height of his power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kxPyNZF3Q

That's the guy who founded Valint and Balk.