Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blizzard loves when other people use their horde/alliance symbols, straight up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

blizzard loves when other people use their horde/alliance symbols, straight up

Huh. Is it deliberate homage or a lazy designer? Guess we’ll never know

The latest trilogy is actually one of the first times I’ve thought the US covers were better than the British covers.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 17, 2021

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Ccs posted:

Huh. Is it deliberate homage or a lazy designer? Guess we’ll never know

The latest trilogy is actually one of the first times I’ve thought the US covers were better than the British covers.

Could be subliminial WoW marketing

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

That is not a good cover. How the heck did we go from the great covers for First Law/Stand alones to this?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The cover arts real ugly, but the books... Are very good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

The cover arts real ugly, but the books... Are very good.

i wish there was a saying for situations like this

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Baen books disease? It sucks that they went with a more traditional fantasy cover scheme for the new trilogy. I really preferred the look of the first law and stand alone books and have all but Red Country as print copies because of it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The American covers for this trilogy aren’t bad. But yeah I’d be totally cool if they went back to the burned maps thing. It was especially funny to have those covers when the books themselves didn’t contain maps.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I got spoiled on the villain for the First Law Trilogy, how hosed am I? A friend accidentally let it slip and realized that was a big spoiler.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I got spoiled on the villain for the First Law Trilogy, how hosed am I? A friend accidentally let it slip and realized that was a big spoiler.

Spoilers are mostly fake idea, if you want to read the books go ahead and read them. The increasingly obvious bad guy being the bad guy isn't really a big deal

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The books are good enough on their own that so and so being bad won't impact their quality too much.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

it's not too bad, if you've ever read a book with a twist before, you'd have probably sensed that something fishy was going on anyway, and you'll still get to enjoy the progression of the reveal as it...uh, progresses

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

If anything it makes you appreciate and investigate all his actions even more. It's not like he's explicitly the big bad of the trilogy

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

multijoe posted:

Spoilers are mostly fake idea

Agreed. If a spoiler ruins a story, it's a poorly written story that probably doesn't stand on its own. In this specific case, Joe tells you exactly what the villain is the first time he's seen by a POV character in The Blade Itself.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This isn't the Sixth Sense, you'll still enjoy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Xenix posted:

Agreed. If a spoiler ruins a story, it's a poorly written story that probably doesn't stand on its own. In this specific case, Joe tells you exactly what the villain is the first time he's seen by a POV character in The Blade Itself.

That scene takes on a while different vibe when you know

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The spirits also provide good foreshadowing when warning Logen. It's been so long since I first read the original trilogy like 10+ years ago that I can't remember if I figured out the "twist" long before the final book. They're such fun characters to read about it doesn't really matter though.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I don't agree with the "Spoilers don't matter" opinion. A good twist shifts a book's tone and expectations significantly, such that you can end up with two distinct story experiences. Even if the spoiled version of that story is overall superior, that doesn't change the fact that revealing the twist robs a reader of the unspoiled version entirely. It's just inconsiderate.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
joe spins a mean yarn but i think reasonable people would agree the journey beats the destination

it's for the characters that his fans really love him

books are worth reading spoilered or not

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I still see a fair amount of complaints online about the first book when people come in expecting a wild ride of plot and it's mostly the characters finding their way from one place to another or slowly investigating or training for the contest. This newest trilogy improved on that a lot, spreading out the major events and giving each book more of an arc unto itself. I still really enjoy The Blade Itself though, especially once all the characters get to Adua.

There's something incredibly satisfying about Bayaz walking around the city and having so many people dismiss him while the reader knows magic is real and he is one of the only practitioners. Joe managed to control the cost of magic "system" enough that its believable that Bayaz wouldn't just snap and light someone on fire to demonstrate he is the real deal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ccs posted:

I still see a fair amount of complaints online about the first book when people come in expecting a wild ride of plot and it's mostly the characters finding their way from one place to another or slowly investigating or training for the contest. This newest trilogy improved on that a lot, spreading out the major events and giving each book more of an arc unto itself. I still really enjoy The Blade Itself though, especially once all the characters get to Adua.

There's something incredibly satisfying about Bayaz walking around the city and having so many people dismiss him while the reader knows magic is real and he is one of the only practitioners. Joe managed to control the cost of magic "system" enough that its believable that Bayaz wouldn't just snap and light someone on fire to demonstrate he is the real deal.
The speech he gives to the closed council must have been so rehearsed. I can just imagine the sarcastic delivery of "Someone won't be satisfied unless there's some broken furniture" or whatever the exact quote was.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ninurta posted:

Baen books disease?
:allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had to look that up and lol, I still periodically think about the cover for With the Lightnings

Although i did end up being extremely bored by that book and not finishing it so maybe not the best example

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Real life story. I went to Worldcon and got invited to a Baen's universe party full of Baen's Universe authors. I didn't know who or what Baen's was, but on all the walls of the double con suite they had poster sized versions of Baen book covers plastered over every inch. I'd had one too many sonic screwdrivers, which is a standard screwdriver mixed with something that glowed under black light, and I walked around the party loudly critiquing every book cover and cracking up at the bad ones. Later, I found out my bestie had her first story published in Baen's and felt like a real jerk, but she just shrugged it off and said, yeah, the covers were real, real bad.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Vorkosigan covers were so bad I didn’t read a Bujold work until Curse of Chalion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Casting for Gunnar broad?

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1396141787006242817?s=21

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It was impossible not to picture Broad as Bautista because of how memorable that look was.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did Joe not admit that was absolutely the source of that character design?

Ccs posted:

Yeah I've seen this quite a lot and it ALWAYS surprises me. The First Law books were one of the first fantasies where I just enjoyed the journey and wasn't thinking about the destination the whole time. ("When are we going to get to the fireworks factory?!") I always felt like he was revealing things about the characters, or making you laugh, or giving little obstacles to overcome. You got something out of it, it never felt like wheel-spinning.

I read ASOIAF not long before and Abercrombie was a stark pleasant contrast to the pacing issues where GRRM would get everything moving and exciting and driving forwards and then smash cut to a loving unrelated character starting with another 4-page description of a loving forest in the last loving epilogue of the loving book.

Logen saving the wizard apprentice and abandoning his favourite pan was more of a satisfying arc than anything Cersei Lannister did in the last 16 years.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Did Joe not admit that was absolutely the source of that character design?

Oh maybe; I haven't seen that interview but it tracks!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh maybe; I haven't seen that interview but it tracks!

I am also 100% certain he confirmed that, but can't for the life of me remember where, it might have been on the comment section of his blog or something.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Warden posted:

I am also 100% certain he confirmed that, but can't for the life of me remember where, it might have been on the comment section of his blog or something.

I think it was his twitter, I remember seeing it too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
He confirmed it here.

quote:

Inspired by Dave Bautista in Blade Runner I gave one guy incongruous little glasses – just gives the character a sense of softness and sensitivity he’s otherwise very lacking. Plus when things go wrong the fact he can’t actually see who anyone is adds a layer of confusion and danger to proceedings…

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Starting my reread of A Little Hatred/The Trouble with Peace to prepare for the final book next month. Very interesting to see Leo and Rikke's first chapters knowing what happens to them over the course of the next two books....

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chamberk posted:

Starting my reread of A Little Hatred/The Trouble with Peace to prepare for the final book next month. Very interesting to see Leo and Rikke's first chapters knowing what happens to them over the course of the next two books....

I forgot it was coming so soon, that rules

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forgot it was coming so soon, that rules

Same, I’m excited.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Oh poo poo - completely forgot about that! I'm more excited to see where this story goes than I was for the conclusion of the original trilogy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://joeabercrombie.com/books/the-wisdom-of-crowds/

"The first Chapter of The Wisdom of Crowds is up on my site. Just scroll down to the extract and open the little FULL TEXT box. There should be more springing up around the internet in the next few days as we count down to publication on Sept 14th... "

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Huh. For some reason I didn't expect the book to start right after the last one, I thought there would be a timeskip, based on the blurb.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well, the book comes out in a week. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, both so I enjoy it more and because my whole view of The First Law books hinges on Joe doing something a bit different with this latest trilogy. I swear if this book ends with Bayaz once again triumphant, no concessions made, the little people broken underneath his ageless heel then I will... still read any future books, but think less of their thematic ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

Well, the book comes out in a week. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, both so I enjoy it more and because my whole view of The First Law books hinges on Joe doing something a bit different with this latest trilogy. I swear if this book ends with Bayaz once again triumphant, no concessions made, the little people broken underneath his ageless heel then I will... still read any future books, but think less of their thematic ambition.

I feel like it is going to be a little different at least.

I'm just hoping my boy Orso comes out okayish or at least gets to go "at least it isn't a hanging" when they guillotine him.