Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
The publication date for The Heroes has been shifted.

quote:

So it is with great regret I have to inform you that, following a meeting with my editor and various whip-and-sword-wielding figures at Orion made from fire and shadow, we have decided, reluctantly, that we have to move the publication date of The Heroes.

But do not weep a river of tears quite yet, my friends, for the publication date is coming forward.

Yeah, a fantasy author is expecting to publish ahead of schedule, something must be deeply wrong with the world. Out end of January for those of us in the UK with any luck.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Meningism posted:

why does that tsundere demon-lady call her companions "pinks" when she is colourblind?

I would assume she can easily see skin tone, if not colour, and that she grew up in a country where light skinned people are referred to as 'pink' and picked it up as you would any generally used turn of phrase that you are regularly exposed to.

Just guessing of course, it's not something I noticed.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I also enjoyed his Grail Quest / Harlequin trilogy set during the hundred years war, some really excellent battle scenes to be had in that.

Both my father and father-in-law love the Sharpe books, but I find them remarkably hit or miss.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Silentgoldfish posted:

One thing I liked, and I don't think it's been mentioned yet, is how he handled descriptions. Rather than having pages and pages of world building things only warranted detail if the characters weren't used to them.

This, when Logan first arrives in Adua his experience of the city compared to Glokta or Jezel worked perfectly. We had seen the city through the eyes of people who live and work there for half the book, but it's only with Logan's arrival that what it is really like comes to life and we get a clear picture of the scale of the place, and this is entirely consistent with the characters. It's good writing and that is one of my favourite scenes in the books.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

If you go look at Joe's blog you'll find he's been doing a bunch of character introductions over then last few weeks for The Heroes, lots of good information and possibly some spoilers as well. Interesting to see that Bremer dan Gorst is back, and that Joe has thought of the effects that events in Best Served Cold might have on King Luthar's body guard. He didn't have a great deal of character in the first books but I'm interested to see where he goes with him.

Also there is an extract from the book over here.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 19, 2010

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Bizob posted:

all he did was get knocked out by Shivers in that whorehouse. then he got made a scapegoat for the entire fiasco.

Drunk, and busy with a prostitute prior to getting knocked out, and not for the first time. At least according to bust up at the end with the young lady who's name I've forgotten. I loved that bit, for all his anger and resentment he was as much to blame as anyone.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I'm guessing a wasteland desert region, somewhere perhaps with an outlaw on a quest for revenge, a woman perhaps with some level of super human powers?

Or at least I'm hoping for that, the south needs expanding and the theme would fit, either through the eyes of Ferro Maljinn or those trying to hunt her down.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

any word on what hes working on now?

Something which may well appeal to someone with your user name, set in the same world but moving to the south this time. The current working title is ' (A) Red Country', possibly without the A. He's aiming for a fantasy story heavily influenced by westerns which should be interesting.

A couple of Joe's blog entries for you on the new book:

Can you tell what it is yet?
A Red Country

Jekub fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Joe did a pretty good interview with Fantasy Fiction which is worth a listen. It touches on returning characters and Joe's thoughts about who can return and under which circumstances as well as lots of chat about the new book. Worth a listen.