Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, Abercrombie's is probably the best Fantasy I've ever read.

Yet to start "Best Served Cold", but TFL was just an absolute loving riot. Everything about that trilogy and how everything fell apart/came together so perfectly was just excellent. And after all this bullshit ASOIAF/Malazan high fantasy crap with the names and everyone talking like they're scripted it's just so refreshing to hear Logen trip over a wall, squawk, and bugger his ankle up in between his time as The Bloody Nine.

Bloody Nine vs Fenris, best fight scene in anything ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Last Argument of Kings spoilers: West had to die, from the moment he beat the poo poo out of his sister. Pushing Ladisla off a cliff just kinda sealed the deal, the man was just too angry to live. It was pretty fitting that he was eaten away from the inside by a wasting illness, even.

I had thought, the diamond in the blackness was Glokta getting into power. If you can rely on anyone to work selflessly, it's him.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Bummey posted:

Logen has some sort of supernatural ability
I'm glad someone else thought this. I was kind of toying with the idea that his Spirit Talking had "bled" and somehow he was liable to be possessed when under extreme duress. The fact that the books start to mention how cold he feels when Bloody Nine comes along pretty much confirms that there's something Other going on there.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

Possession probably wouldn't be the word I would choose, but yeah it seems possible that the transformation into the B9 is tied to his supernatural side. At the same time though he gains no supernatural ability (preternatural, sure, but not super)
I'd disagree with this, he literally wrestles Fenris to a standstill. A big strong bloke Logen is, no doubt, but Fenris is a magically imbued demi-human who was (at the point of stalemate) being empowered still further by Caurib's song/magic. I mean, by definition, the strength of the bloody nine is supernatural.

I didn't realise Abercrombie had referred to the "cold feeling" as far back as that too, that's incredibly impressive planning/foreshadowing for a first timer. Blimey.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I know it's a bit Out There to draw the comparison, but I think that Abercrombie has a bit of Pratchett in him with the whole shamefully well plotted books with a somewhat similar cast of characters in an increasingly well-drawn world. Try one of the Sam Vimes books if you haven't (good place to start probably being somewhere like Feet of Clay or Men at Arms).

A more obvious influence would be Glen Cooke, for another series about miserable mercenary bastards being miserable mercenary bastards.

Finally let myself start Best Served Cold. Every bit as good as the trilogy so far (100 pages in).

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, what the hell should I read after Best Served Cold? :(

I've read these, the Malazans, ASoIaF, Locke Lamora, and WoT lately. Need something new to dive into!
Have you got around to the first three Black Company books yet? Also check out the "Sperge about underrated..." thread, as that introduced me to Bridge of Birds and holy poo poo.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, I thought Best Served Cold was a bit... stretched.

Felt like he was repeating himself in places, and there were just too many loving fights that spanned pages and pages.

Still good, don't get me wrong, but only the first few hundred and last fifty pages were as good as I'd come to expect.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahah! BSC spoilers:

Even if (if) Morveer had been sane, his catchphrase was "Caution first. Always." I mean that was all of who he was, he couldn't trust. It sounds like your problem with him is that you're just much more honest and reasonable than he was, so you have difficulty relating.

If someone had said "I will never poison you" to Morveer he would have killed himself trying to avoid the places that person could have conceivable had access to. And he taught Day to think just like him, but evidently not quite as well.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Honestly I don't even know. I mean, what are he and Khalul even fighting about? Obv. Khalul will play up the "bringing him to justice" angle, but bending a whole nation to his whim to do so (and creating a legion of Eaters with all the casualties that necessitates) really puts him in no better stead.

As far as I can make out, Bayaz topped Juvens (with the help of Kanedias?) then allied the Magi behind his false cause of vengeance and killed Tolomei and Kanedias to keep it a secret(?). We never found out why he killed Juvens in the first place, and he'll never explain it to one of the characters we spend most of our time with, as they're less than flies by his timescale.

If any of the above is wrong please correct me, finished the trilogy about 6 months ago and haven't had the time to re-read.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Logen had a fantastic arc that pretty much encompassed everything you needed to know about him except: "Who is his dad" and maybe a clearer explanation of his berserking.

That and the way the ending mirrored how we met him, I mean, that's pretty much a goodbye, with a very Abercrombian shrug of "sometimes you live through a big fall. More often you don't."

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I'm getting the vibe that he is a fan favorite around here but I'm not a big fan of Shenkt. I haven't read it in a while but he just struck me as a "super powered, totally awesome killer who never fucks up and has no flaws" type of character, which seems to go against every other character that Abercrombie creates.

The book did show how much of a price (on several levels) he was forced to pay to be what he was, and how the fact that he was good gave him a massive weakness to exploit.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I (probably because I'm English) always pictured the Northmen as the Scots. Though I suppose axes (especially one of the ones on the front of The Heroes) were a more traditionally nordic weapon.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Logen in his youth was probably every bit the monster Fenris was, but with more relish, however he seems to want to be better, and carries a whole bunch of regret around with him. a lot of the third book was caught up with how he was attempting to atone for past sins, realising he couldn't, so resolving just to try his best.

Dow is Black Dow, was Black Down and will be Black Dow. He doesn't regret anything, and wants more than he has.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The longer he drew out that duel, the more obvious his splattery death was. And I wanted Dow to stay King at that point, even though his entire character and everything about him made it obvious he couldn't be

Got to:
"I was a potter, the clay made my hands so soft, would you believe it? But then the wars came and things... happened"
And I'm blubbing like a girl. Then Red Beck goes home and holy poo poo I literally have to stop reading.

Think his teasing of the Bloody Nine was a pretty dick move, but ballsy. I know I'm the guy that said "Logen's dead, move on" but gently caress me I miss him.

Total return to form, for my money. BSC was a bit of a flabby mis-step (if by no means a bad book) but this is right up there with the bookends of the trilogy, if not quite up to the insane threatening madness of Before They Are Hanged. Craw's whining occasionally got irritating, but other than that I don't think he put a foot wrong. Gorst's monologues were frequently really funny.

Looking forward to his next trilogy already.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm a delicate little flower, apparently.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah, chiming in on this:

1. Abercrombie hobbles himself awfully by making even the most likable characters objectively monstrous.

I wouldn't have it any other way, but of the two characters most easily defined as "good" in his books (up to BSC spoilers): one was a mass-murderer of frankly epic proportions, the other was a revenge-driven incestuous warlord.

2. Rothfuss' prose is so accessible you could give his books to a twelve year old and they'd sit down and read.

And because of this he's easily marketable as "Harry Potter for teens/grownups!", which is a drat fine market niche to occupy.

I wouldn't worry about Joe, he made it into a top 10 best-seller list over in Blighty with The Heroes, so there's steam building underneath the guy.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Quite right. I suppose it's fitting I forgot about him.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm doing a re-read atm and yeah that early Logen ability really slapped me in the face.

Likely Joe just realised it was a silly "get out of fights" card and ret-conned it, as it really is bringing a flame-thrower to a sword fight.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Trilogy Spoilers continue!

In the first book as well Bayaz mentions that Kanedias was the last of the four to die.

Then again, he though Tolomei was dead, too.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Cwapface posted:

Is it best to start with The Blade Itself with this guy, or can I pick up The Heroes or something and still 'get it'? I've only just sort of gotten interested in fantasy after reading the first two books of ASoIaF (yes, because of the HBO series before you ask) and I'm very interested in this guy from what I've heard about him, but I'm kind of uncertain about jumping into another fantasy series before I finish A Dance with Dragons (which could easily be months from now; I'm an undisciplined reader).
I'd say The Blade itself, both for chronological reasons and for the fact that it is an A+ best in genre piece of fantasy, whereas Best Served Cold (while still head and shoulders above 95% of fantasy) is his weakest novel.

Also, the standalone books are standalone in the same way that a discworld book is standalone. i.e. The plot stands alone but the framework of the world and characters you encounter have likely come from earlier books.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The King has a thing for Brunettes. Probably still pining for the cripple's wife. Having finished my re-read of The Blade itself I'd recommend anyone go back and do the same. The sheer, workmanlike graft he put into writing those three books is wonderful, they fit together like a swiss watch.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I can't tell you for sure. I mean, the tone and prose isn't going to shift radically, but you've already read 1/3, what can finishing it off hurt?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
You are a crazy person.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree that his writing has notably improved in many areas and I'd still recommend all his work to anyone who likes fantasy. The problem is that he has kind of exhausted a lot of the settings, character types, and inverted tropes he seems to want to keep sticking with.
I agree, the trilogy is his best work (not that the Heroes isn't totally balls-out amazing). But to draw a comparison: By this point in Pratchett's career he was celebrating the release of Truckers.

I think Abercrombie is yet to really hit his stride, which -when you've written something as incredible as The First Law- is p. exciting.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah Shenkt could make sense.

That said if there's any mention of the bloody nine in the book then he needs to make an appearance, if only because it's seriously not cool to keep dangling the possible return like this.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahah! Sorry man that seemed really snarky. I didn't even notice your typo, honest :shobon:

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Oh God don't gently caress this up Joe.

That description could easily be Ferro, but we're approaching critical mass with the Bloody Nine trolling at this point.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 14, 2012

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
If it's the most Enduring, Powerful and Popular character with the author then it's definitely Cosca.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

If you still like any of the characters after a couple of books, you're doing well!
Doing my re-read at the moment and I think it's a mistake to judge any of the characters too harshly in the books. They are quite literally products of their environment. Logen's arc spells this out pretty explicitly.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I don't think anyone has claimed that Abercrombie is James Joyce'in it up and all literature'in' and the like. Just, that if you're looking for the best Swords and Sorcery BS that's out there, The First Law is where you should go.

I'd honestly be interested in some genuine discussion of the flaws in the books (bloated third act, riding-the-line portrayal of the lesbian princess), but I'm yet to see one.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
This post contains a whole lotta spoilers and you shouldn't read it if you have any interest in reading the drat books.

I actually had a lot of time for Ferro. You're right she wasn't a great character but I think that was a problem of necessity. Having her be both devil-blooded and the symbol of Khalul's victimization of the Gurkish was just trying to fit too much into one character. Perhaps she was initially meant to be two characters that got dovetailed. Same problem in reverse for Terez, really.

I really liked the pinks thing when it turned out she was colourblind. Yeah, I know, telling rather than showing and hammering home the subtext but I still dug it.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Who are the two figures under The Makers' arms in the house Severard buys for Glokta's torturing-needs?

Drives me nuts as he ties up most everything else related to the past, but all I can think is Tolomei and..?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Beastie posted:

Is there ever given an explanation as to why the magic is leaking out of the world? Is it just a results of the gates to the other side being closed all those years ago? I know the spirits and Bayaz both say that magic is leaving this world but there never seems to be an explanation.
Yeah, it's never explicitly said but between that and "all magic falls from the other side onto our world like moonlight" (paraphrased) that's the only thing it can be.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Counterpoint: Bloody Nine vs Fenris

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I maintain that the third book was by far the weakest of the trilogy because he'd set himself far too much work to do and it came off as flabby, muddled and underwhelming in sections. Plus the climax was just over half way through the book and everything thereafter was going in a really strange direction, I realise that was the point, but still.

I mean, it's still a five star book, and still better than BSC but... could have been better.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Oh my God It's Cosca again.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Recently finished a re-read of Best Served Cold and I'm thinking that, as opposed to my initial reaction, it might actually be the best thing Joe's written. Seriously blown away by how many risks he took.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Pretty much a "disparage MY FANTASY at your peril" sperg-post inbound!

Above Our Own posted:

Whereas Shenkt is shown wiping out dozens of people without any indication that his power has any kind of limit.
I thought it was pretty clear that Shenkt's super-saiyan powers are the equal of Sulfur's (perhaps a little better), and that he's limited by his breath (there's always a long wind-up where he controls his breathing to slow the time then breathes out and everything is back to normal again).

Oh Snapple! posted:

You had the right reaction. Abercrombie's big theme is that people don't change (and I've already gone into my opinions on that before so I'll leave it at that), so you pretty much feel like you should about it.
I don't think his theme is actually that at all though. Logen changed hugely over the course of the books, and it tied it up with a bow with Jezal's "you're the best man I know". But when he goes back into an environment in which he's been stripped of his choices by his past actions (again, tied up in a bow in the last chapter of LAK), he is forced to act as he was, even though you've spent two and a half books watching him be better.

You could say that his main theme is about the futility of attempting to effect major change as one man at ground level. But BSC was basically a study of the worth of mercy and kindness so I'm willing to give him time to grow with that one.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo :neckbeard:
empty quoting is bad form. No really though that last line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Finished my Abercrombie re-read two weeks early. It is truly the first world-est of all the problems. :arghfist::(