Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

I tore threw the last 10 chapters of The Heroes this morning. The ending was a bit more of a let don than the other books. I'm not sure if I feel that way because it seemed uneventful, or if this is the last of this series for some time.

I really did like how he would describe the battle from both sides and flip flop between killers and the killed.

I'm just getting started on it, and my first reaction is "holy poo poo Gorst is a loving beast. He's like Gregor Clegane with a worse attitude, no wonder nobody makes fun of his voice to his face."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't know if you're far enough in yet, but pretty soon you'll start to figure out that he's also loving pathetic in his own way. I still can't decide if I hate or pity the guy.

I just finished it, and fact: Gorst owns. :colbert:

e: especially his rant at the end. "Battles? Bitch, I love battles."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollis posted:

I haven't read Heroes in a while, did Gorst send that letter to his king or not? The one where he is a rear end in a top hat in it. And to add a little more depth, I thought it was pretty obvious that Logen was the descendant of the third brother the one who could commune with spirits and that Bez was a son of the 4th brother.

Nah, he just writes it and tearsGorsts it up every night. :black101:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm re-reading the books and one question stands out to me: how did Tul Duru and the rest survive their duels with Logen? I mean, "it's easier to divert the Whiteflow than to stop the Bloody-Nine."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoneSuch posted:

Ferro manages to pull him out at least twice I believe. First after fighting a bunch of practicals and the second time in the caves after slaughtering shanka. It's been ages since I last read the books so I might be mistaken.

I would disagree on that point. In both of those scenes, The Bloody-Nine turns back into Logen because he has nothing to kill for a few seconds, he loses his rage, and his time is up. He was ready to flay Ferro alive (particularly for "stealing his kills") except that he lost his strength while she kept her distance. Given the opportunity, I doubt he'd hesitate to end her.

Yeah, Yulwei is a goner. I doubt Bayaz is ever going to unlock the tower unless he has an army of eaters at his back and The Divider in his hand (since I think that's the only thing that harmed her), so Yulwei is trapped indefinitely in The House with an unkillable murder-machine hunting him. And since he didn't simply teleport into the tower when the Magi were hunting Kanedias, somehow I doubt he can teleport out.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillRoy posted:

I kind of felt bad for Mauthis in BCS. Yeah, he was in the room when everything went down, but he didn't plan anything or involved in anyway then just being the money man.

Yeah, me too. But it did make for a great read.
"Uh, hey, Morveer, why the gently caress are all of the clerks dying?!"
"Well, I couldn't be sure which ledger he'd use this morning, so I poisoned all of them."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bummey posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Fenris is an immortal and nigh invulnerable half demon. Even without the witch channeling that spell on him he's still on the same level as eaters, if not more powerful. Remember, not all eaters are granted the same powers.

Eaters are sort of boring though.

Yeah, Fenris the Feared walked away from being attacked by half a dozen Named Men simultaneously in Book 2. The various Eaters in Book 3 didn't fare so well.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kekekela posted:

I'm just finishing "Last Argument of Kings" (have been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers) and while I've loved the series so far, the one thing that's driving me crazy is how Glokta et al see fake-Morovia with Luthar in the city after they've already seen Morovia dead and it doesn't get mentioned. Even if Glokta didn't give a gently caress it seems like it would've at least registered in his internal monologue. Am I missing something here?

Sorry if I'm horribly misspelling the names, I'm listening on Audible so I've never actually seen them written out.

It did come up in his internal monologue. Glokta saw the false Marovia, and started to think ""Wait, what the fu–" just as the Gurkish set off their gigantic underground bomb. Then, for obvious reasons, things sorts went to poo poo, everyone got seperated, and shortly therafter Bayaz and Glokta had their "meeting". So Glokta put 2 and 2 together, and figured out that Marovia 2.0 was Bayaz's pet eater in play.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fakedit: What if it's Sergeant Pike from Before they are Hanged/Last Argument of Kings?

Settling down after a long career as one of Glokta's torturers? :haw:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Charity Spring posted:

Cosca. Who is already confirmed as being in it.

One of the most "enduring, powerful, and popular" characters in The First Law? That seems much more Logen to me.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Above Our Own posted:

He's actually very well socialized. He's affable, thoughtful, and charismatic even. It's more the whole unstoppable demonic murder rage thing that makes him unfit for society.

Although in the case of the North I'd say he fits in fine.

He even allowed voting during his reign. What a nice guy.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

savinhill posted:

It is going to be pretty awesome getting to read more of Logen dropping his wisdom and catchphrases and then going into psychotic, violent rages when he's caught in some poo poo.

In a motherfucking Western. :clint:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silentgoldfish posted:

True, but if there was ever a character who'd do well in a fantasy Unforgiven William Munney type role...

That's exactly what I was picturing.

"Who's the fellow owns this shithole?"

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neep posted:

I'm with you on BSC. The Trilogy was good but I think I fell in love with BSC. I didn't really care for The Heroes. I don't really care for the Northmen in general. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to more Logen Ninefingers.

To each his own, but the Northmen are easily one of the best parts in opinion. Case in point: "That is one loving beautiful ceiling."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rurik posted:

And when Cosca came back, well... it was cool of course, but really unbelievable as well. For a long while I actually suspected it was an Eater posing as Cosca or something (Shenkt maybe). But seeing as it really was Cosca, it's difficult to fathom how he survived. As he said, he got it in the guts and even though no vital organs were destroyed, what about infections? Seemed like real plot armor to me.

Come on, it's motherfuckin' Cosca. He refused to die, he hadn't paid back Morveer for calling him a drunk yet (plus all those years of boozing it up probably killed every living thing in his intestinal tract). :frogc00l:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tweekinator posted:

Yoru Sulfur also acted the part of Marovia, but that doesn't mean he was Marovia all along.

The rebel general acted betrayed at the negotiations due to the new behavior of the Tanner in capitulating to terms much worse that what they had rejected at previous negotiations. Also, I'm pretty sure Yoru was kicking around Adua for a bit while the rebellion was on-going.

The impression I got was just that Yoru ate the Tanner before the peace talks and took his place for them.

Yeah, at first I thought Yoru played the Tanner from day 1, then I realized that he probably had better poo poo to do for a year or two than stir up rebellion.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^Yeah, and maybe he's just trying to keep a low profile. People tend to spread stories about cackling unkillable berserkers, if any witnesses survive, and he's got a bunch of enemies. Calling it now, the massacre that cover mentions is all his doing.

Cosca and Logen, loving bitches, drinking wine, and loving up bad(der) guys? I can't wait. :swoon:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UncleMonkey posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't realize there was so much controversy about that plot point. I mean, I know that Abercrombie has acknowledged his weakness in writing certain female characters and sexualization, but that stuff with Terez's plotline made perfect sense to me. At first I hated her and was thinking, "Wow, what an incredible bitch." And then the revelation comes and you get that scene between her and Glokta and I found it absolutely sickening and heart-wrenching. The ensuing scene between Terez and Jezel never seemed in any way titillating to me because a) we had a deeper context for what was going on and b) we're seeing it from Jezel's perspective. Reading that scene was really sad to me. I never found Abercrombie's intent was in any way unclear. I don't really get what the fuss is about. What happens with Terez is really lovely. That's the point. It's supposed to be lovely.

Pretty lovely for Jezel as well, although it's not even in the same league of terribleness as being blackmailed into sex. He got to marry the most beautiful woman in the kingdom, but she segued straight from hating him into being melancholy, and not only is there absolutely nothing he can do to fix things, he's never even going to know why.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Gay Uncle posted:

.I wonder if Monza will turn out be demonblooded like Ferro. It seems like every chapter someone was says she has a demon or a devil in her.

No, she feels pain. The 'demon inside' is more of a metaphor for her willingness to do horrible things. Because of the hunger for vengeance inside of her.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"You have to be realistic."

:haw:

edit: Also, the last little bit of this: 'Best we can do is get back the little ones, any way we can. Get ’em back safe.’ This time the twitch started at his mouth and scurried all the way up his scarred cheek to the corner of his eye. ‘Then we’ll see.’

Then we'll see. Holy gently caress this is going to be brutal. :unsmigghh:

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 5, 2012

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished this book (thank you, ulmont), and I loving loved it.

Logen vs. Glama Golden. :stare:

The Maker having a religion of kind, caring, emotional devotees. Cuz he was a good dude. The Unforgiven/Blood Meridian vibes about every single scene. The final showdown between Lamb and Shivers, which somehow ended the only satisfying way it could. Logen just keeps on keepin' on.

This book was The Blade Itself meets Western, and I loved every callback, and every moment of it. gently caress, that was amazing.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Answer to quoted question: He sure does!

Spoiler related to series in general: I'm starting to think Abercrombie should have killed Logen off. Either that or he's got to be old and pathetic in the next trilogy. Like Cosca was in this one.

Old and pathetic are not the words I would use to describe Logen in this book. Even when he's not going Bloody Nine on people's asses, he's loving terrifying. Like, people might bring up his age over and over again, but it sure doesn't seem to have slowed him down any.

And I don't know if even William Munny would've smashed a man's head open on a bar, then nailed the poor bastard to it. :stare:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He was only in his 50s? That explains it, then. I thought he was at least a decade older. There's plenty of people who stay strong well into their sixties, but for some reason I was convinced he'd be in his seventies in a theoretical second trilogy. A kickass seventy-year-old is harder to believe (certainly not impossible, but harder to believe). Of course, you've just spoiled the fact that Logen survives Red Country, which he wasn't certain to do.

Speak for yourself, doubter. It's easier to stop the Whiteflow than to stop the Bloody Nine. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Contra Calculus posted:

So I'm assuming since there are Union troops on the border of the Old Empire, they've managed to completely take over/subdue the North? I'm guessing in no small part due to Bayaz? Also, is the guy Lamb and Shy run into with the scar on his face Shivers? Because I'm totally calling it that that guy is Shivers.

edit: You people who finished it already are absolute fuckers by the way... I moused over spoilers... I wish I could say it was on accident but it wasn't. :(

Logen dies of chronic shitdick.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Huskalator posted:

I have always felt the Bloody Nine was part demon. As I recall Bayaz says something in the trilogy about Demons and humans crossbreeding way back in the past and that the offspring had immense power. He says that in the present there still may be humans around with a little demon blood in them and that even that little bit would make them much more powerful than the average human. IMO the Bloody Nine is part demon and this is even hinted at in Red Country.

Where is that hinted at? Logen displays none of the traits typical of a human/demon crossbreed (immunity to pain, color-blindness, etc.), and in fact Shivers goes into a similar "holy poo poo the world's on fire kill everything" berserker rage in Best Served Cold.

Logen is not a good man, even though one of his first chapters is him leaving behind a favorite cookpot to carry an injured man. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's a oval office.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Pussy posted:

Shivers becomes a legit psycho by the end of BSC; realizes he's just a killer and embraces that reality.

Logen is a vessel for whatever spirit/god/demon is controlling him and that really isn't debatable. Difference is by Red Country, Logen knows how to give in to it earlier. If you recall in the Last Argument of Kings, Logen is basically asking (talking to himself) the Bloody-Nine to take over before he fights Feared. And when Logen goes hulk, he doesn't feel pain

That's extremely debateable. I haven't seen anything to indicate that Logen is definitively being possessed by something, and I feel like it makes for a more powerful story if he isn't. Logen isn't a decent, or even lovely man being controlled by some outside force, the Bloody-Nine is who he is. When he isn't putting in the time and effort to try to be a good man, he's death incarnate, and that suits him. He feeds on the fear and respect other men feel for him, he loves that poo poo. Pretending to be Lamb, or Good Guy Logen is an act, and he feels relief every time he gives it up. The Bloody-Nine might be an alternate personality, or some kind of altered mental state, but I wouldn't say it's something external to Poor Lil' Logen.

Ninefingers is proof that man has the potential to be more vicious than any demon Glustrod summoned from the darkness. His fight with The Feared was symbolic because it was a hardened killer making The Feared feel fear. It was mankind murdering a demigod and supplanting the old order, which has been a running theme throughout the series.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well then, you are in for a treat. He just gets better and better from there.

Everything fears him. Even the cold iron that does not dream. :black101:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

He didn't want to go back to the mud.

He knew better than to gently caress with Death's Best Friend. Easier to stop the Whiteflow than to stop The Bloody Nine. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FordPRefectLL posted:

My favorite was Best Served Cold. I liked the Heroes and didn't enjoy Red Country because my favorite character acted like a shithead the entire book.

He was just doing what he does best. The Bloody Nine plays no favorites, and makes no exceptions. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

I really liked seeing Logen do his thing in Red Country, even if he was a monster.. The part where he was throwing severed body parts of a building of the dozen people he'd murdered was loving cool, even though I know it was meant to be horrifying. And we will never know which parts were the Bloody Nine and which were him (I still subscribe to the theory the Nine is a spirit of some kind).

And I still subscribe to the theory that Logen is an enormous badass, no spirit demons required. The Bloody Nine never performs anything overtly superhuman, he's just an utter oval office who lets out his inner rear end in a top hat sometimes. Otherwise none of the Named Men he dueled in the circle would've been shown any mercy. :colbert:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

Friendly is a violent autistic man who should probably be executed for the good of society. Shenkt should likewise be destroyed in some manner. Gorst, who everyone hates, is less of a liability than either.

Friendly is a violent autistic man who has the best line in the loving series.

"How do I look?"
"Like a pimp that lost his mind in a military tailor's."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

What's funny is that this is completely true and yet it's actually a lot more optimistic than The First Law and completely turns around the "people can't really change" moral (albeit not for everyone, what with Cosca falling back into alcoholism and being even more of a poo poo person by Red Country).

And in the end, Monza conquers Styria (as we learn in Red Country) and presumably brings peace to the land, for the first time in decades. That's a far more optimistic ending than The First Law ever got.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't think they actually were, though I get the idea Benna would have totally been down for it.

They absolutely were. Don't you remember the mercenaries joking to Shivers when he visited Faithful?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clinton1011 posted:

He does a really good job with BSC, The Heroes & Red Country as well but they are only available in the UK. Michael Page does the US version & while I love him in a lot of other books he just can't match the amazing job Steven Pacey does on these audiobooks.

Yeah, I decided I wanted to buy the audiobooks legit, but after listening to a trilogy of Pacey's amazing voice, I broke down and pirated those three. The difference is astounding, and it blows my mind that they're unavailable outside the UK.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He was Bayaz's apprentice and then for some reason turned against him, at least if I remember right. Him and sulfur knew each other well.

He decided he was done kneeling. When? Who knows.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerepol posted:

Alright finished the first series I guess it is definitely a good read considering I did book 2 in a day and would have done the same for 3 if I had the time.

He's got a good style and holy poo poo he did done good work with Glotka. I might put together some words later but right now I kinda just want more

Also pretty much everything I read these days is ebooks. It's just very convenient for reading wherever whenever because I'm crazy/dumb enough to do it on my phone.

If you like listening while driving, do yourself a favor, find the Steven Pacey-narrated audiobooks. He's incredible. The other narrator is garbage, don't even try.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koryk posted:

The other narrator does an amazing Cosca though, Pacey's Cosca just sounds like Shivers.

No way I'm wading through all that garbage to get to a few good bits. I don't know why, his voice just grates on me. I couldn't even get through the first chapter of Best Served Cold without turning it off.

And that's crazy-talk by the way, Pacey's Cosca owns bones. "Friendly, that was... ungracious of you."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

i was thinking he's related in some way to Fenris-the-Feared, who was immortal, since it's emphasised he is not just a really big guy but an actual inhuman giant.

From the perspective of regular people, he's drat sure an inhuman giant.

I feel a legit Fenris-style giant would have a cooler birth name.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suxpool posted:

Yeah and Malacus supposedly brained the third one with their cooking pot.

I think the theory is bunk but idk

Yeah he smashed the bandits head to paste with the cooking pot. It's meant to be a subtle foreshadowing that Malacus isn't quite right, since he was always a huge pussy before. Same with starting to know his stuff, and back-sassing Bayaz.

I kinda hope we see Tolemei again, that Bayaz/Tolemei/Ferro/Yulwei fight scene kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

Is Pacey the preferred actor? I remember folks having this discussion before.

10x better, easily.