Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
God drat I love this series so much. The way the trilogy and Best Served Cold relate to each other and strengthen each other's themes is amazing.

To me, the entirety of First Law is about getting caught up in poo poo way above your head and ultimately not being able to affect it at all, being carried along by events and helpless to control them. Very much "your fate is pre determined."

And then Best Served Cold is essentially an entire work about individuals bucking the system and changing the world. Seriously, the happy ending winds up being the revenge-driven incestuous drug addict mercenary taking over a nation and running it with the help of a cannibal and an army of secret police, and you are rooting for her because everyone else is worse.

Also, The Cripple is probably my favorite character in any work of fiction. His relationship with Frost and Severain is so sublimely hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Copernic posted:

I gave up on Best Served Cold about 5/8s through and have 0 regrets. Every single chapter was the exact same setpiece.

1. Monza identifies the next hit and the team sets up
2. Bickering/Squabbling
3. Slight setback in the assassination plan
4. Long battle/assassination piece
5. Someone betrays somebody
6. Gore
7. Musings about nature of revenge.

Then, next chapter.

No one was likeable. The writing veered into grimdark. The characters were so personally hosed up it verged on comedy. But it was the predictable plot formula that finally made me put it down -- I found myself thinking "oh, boy, ANOTHER betrayal" and gave up.

You missed out! The ending's awesome.